Old 5th October 2011, 15:14   #1
alumni72

Set 'favorite' stations?

Is there a way to create favorites, so I can have a go-to short list of the Shoutcast stations I regularly listen to?
alumni72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:27   #2
jns1985

Not sure why there was no official reply to this post. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to set favorites on the website. This is quite puzzling as finding your favorite station every time you visit the site can be quite cumbersome. Hopefully Nullsoft will add this sometime in the near future.

My best suggestion is the save the playlist files for your stations from the website to your computer naming them accordingly. Then, once you have your playlist files saved, use a stream capable media player to stream them.

I suggest using XMPlay (xmplay.com) for this streaming as the application is simple, small, and streams stations wonderfully. It can serve as a simple music player for local files as well.
jns1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:15   #3
DrO

most posts made on the forums never get an 'official' response.

it's not hard to bookmark a stream either in a web browser or in other programs like Winamp or other media players. maybe there should be such a feature but as things stand there isn't.

the main issue i see with such a request is that sites come and go or they change their stream address which causes anything which has been bookmarked to change and not work and then people will complain (as already happens when manually creating a bookmark for a stream).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:52   #4
jns1985

For the purpose of the discussion, let's change the terminology to a favorites system. I'm referring to adding a system that would allow the user to simply save individual listings in the Shoutcast directory. TuneIn Radio has created this exact system on their website that seems to function well.

I agree that the frequent changing of url's from station providers is an inconvenience. However, unless I'm mistaken, the Shoutcast listings for stations are a direct link to these providers. When a provider changes their url(s), is that not reflected nearly immediately in the Shoutcast directory? If so, the url issue would seem irrelevant in consideration for adding a favorites system.

If a provider url changes, it would reflect in the user's "favorite" listing. If a provider removes their station from Shoutcast, the user's "favorite" would simply no longer display. Does that make sense?
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:10   #5
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns1985 View Post
However, unless I'm mistaken, the Shoutcast listings for stations are a direct link to these providers. When a provider changes their url(s), is that not reflected nearly immediately in the Shoutcast directory? If so, the url issue would seem irrelevant in consideration for adding a favorites system.
not quite right.

the tune-in pls returned is a direct link to the station but the id used for the tune-in (and other aspects) is what will change if details of the station changed which is the main issue - there are changes which make that less likely to happen but involves people upgrading to the v2 system.

-daz
Old 9th November 2011, 20:17   #6
jns1985

Okay, let me take one last shot here. Why not add a system exclusive to the shoutcast 2.0 website where a user can favorite a station listing, but have it appear on a separate favorites page exactly as it would if searching for the site individually?

Instead of developing some kind of favorites interface from scratch, then the the user could just go to their favorites page and they just see the station listings for the stations they have saved. The user can then just click the blue play button and listen away.

I can't help but hold the contention that nearly 50,000 radio stations is just too large a directory to have to perform a search every time it's accessed.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:30   #7
DrO

i'm not the person you need to convince that things on the site need to be changed / added to / etc. that's about the only reply i can really give to the points / suggestions you're making.

-daz
Old 11th November 2011, 13:08   #8
jns1985

Is there a specific site or thread that accepts feature requests for the Shoutcast site? Other music services give users a place where they can request specific features they feel would improve the experience. Whether the feature is implemented or not would be anyone's guess, but it least it would be out there.
Old 11th November 2011, 13:10   #9
DrO

you might want to try the feedback link on the site (not guaranteed to get any response though is likely to be read), otherwise there's nothing specific (at least that i know about).

-daz
Old 4th December 2011, 15:31   #10
alumni72

This thread was apparently moved between forums and I had a devil of a time finding it - I had given up looking for an answer after a month had gone by and assumed that was because there was no way to do it.

The way I use Shoutcast is via the Winamp Library - I select Shoutcast and then select a category, then a station to listen to. What I had been hoping for was some way to have a 'default' category that would appear as soon as I selected Shoutcast, listing all the stations I had marked as favorites together so I could make a choice from the stations I had already marked, regardless of genre - sometimes I don't know what I feel like listening to right away, and browsing through my favorites would help me decide.

In fact, only less than a week ago did I find how to make a station a favorite - the arrow icon to the right of the station, but since there was no indication what it was for when I did a mouseover, I had ignored it in the past. It only tells me what it is for once I've already clicked it - which I only did out of frustration, since normally I don't click on unmarked controls because that's the easiest way to change settings for which you didn't know the default value to begin with. So that control, while I'm glad it is there, is not too user-friendly. Or should I say n00b-friendly.
(I don't like to plug other sits, and I do use Shoutcast, but Live365 does provide for setting favorites in one location)
alumni72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 14:16   #11
jns1985

As far as using the Winamp application to save Shoutcast stations, I actually never utilized it to play stations as I found the application to be lacking and bloated in comparison to other Windows streaming applications. When not using the website, I used XMplay (support.xmplay.com) to stream stations on my PC. The player is very lightweight (less than 1 mb), skinnable, and can play any Shoutcast mp3 stream via the playlist file downloadable from the Shoutcast site. I also find it's equalizer to deliver better sound quality than Winamp's own.

Even though users can manage their favorite stations via Winamp or other streaming applications, I still think there should be and could be a favorites system added to the site. When users are away from their personal computer where they have their preferred streaming app, the only way to find their favorites station(s) is via the site search. As I mentioned above, searching through 50,000 stations for a favorite station is less than practical.

For what it's worth, I've actually switched to TuneIn Radio for the time being. They have favorites system built into their website which also automatically transfers to their mobile apps. They had all my favorite Shoutcast stations (1.FM, 181.FM, Sky.FM, etc) and more (local stations, podcasts, etc). Additionally, their mobile apps offer more features and better performance than Winamp's.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Site Design