Old 2nd April 2004, 15:49   #1
CanonGL1

HELP!! Search for Values in the Comment Field

OK, Here's the issue! I've gone thru over 23,000 songs (MP3) and edited the ID3v2 tags with comments that include a wide variety of descriptions. I want to be able to do a search on those descriptions. I have selected to edit the view of the Media Library's Audio view. I added a condition of comment contains, it did not work. I added a condition of comment begins with, it did not work. I've tied a few different things without any luck on searches for items in the comment field, the matches always work for the album field which is not a condition that I have selected. Why does this happen, and how can I make my Media Library do searches on the Artist, Title, Genre, and Comment fields all at once. I do have the Audio view setup right now to look for "contains" in the Artist, Title, Genre, and Comment fields, with the Simple Media View Option and all the needed columns are in the View. The biggest thing is being able to search the "Comment" field.

Thanks
CanonGL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 16:23   #2
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Using 5.03, it works for me. Could you post the exact query you're using? Go to the query editor's advanced editor and copy the query string shown there to the clipboard, then paste it to your reply. Here's an example that's working for me:
QUERY: TYPE != "1" AND COMMENT HAS "www"

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 16:33   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Note: crosspost whacked (and replied to with the answer)

[Edit --> Dec 2005]
Gah! A 20 month old thread revived :/
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 18:38   #4
CanonGL1

I think you guys are missing the point of what I want to accomplish. The field that is labeled "SEARCH", when you type in something there, you start to get results below. However the results are in the Artist, Title, or Album fields(or columns). Can I make the Search bar only look at values in the Comment field (column)?? In other words, I have my entire library in the Media Library and I start to type a word in the Search bar, the matches I want to see in the View are made with what is in the Comments field of every MP3, if it's not in the Comments field I don't see it as a result.

Thanks
Old 2nd April 2004, 19:08   #5
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Try typing into the search bar:
?comment has "something"

That question mark is CRUCIAL for what you want to do. It tells winamp not to treat the rest of what you type as a simple search (term matches artist or album or title), but as a complex query (exactly like the view editor's).

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 15:44   #6
CanonGL1

Thanks Gonzotek, Just a few extra questions if you have a minute??

I did what you suggested (?comment has "") in the search bar and that works as long as your search doesn't have a space. While typing in ?comment has "Adult , at the space the search ends. However I am one step closer to what I want. Are there any future plans to making the Media Library Search Bar only look at a particular field such as the Comment Column without having to type in ?comment has ""?

Is there a way to save your preference settings for all of Winamp 5.03, so you can export them from home to work for example?

Can I lock people out from being able to do anything other than Search, drag&drop from Media Library to Playlist, or highlight an artist for the Info screen below Media Library?

Can the Artist Info Screen be setup to display the currently playing song?

When ripping a CD that is one you like more than most, what settings (bitrate, Quality, and Joint Stereo or Stereo)would be best, if your not too concerned with drive space?

And finally is there a way to Rate a song other than in the Media Library, such as in the Playlist Editor or the Currently playing song?

I hope this isn't over doing the Q&A, I just upgraded from Winamp 3 to Winamp 5.03 and am amazed at the power. I'll be recommending this to everyone.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Old 3rd April 2004, 23:32   #7
Moguta

Re: Thanks Gonzotek, Just a few extra questions if you have a minute??

Quote:
Originally posted by CanonGL1
Is there a way to save your preference settings for all of Winamp 5.03, so you can export them from home to work for example?
There's no easy way... but if WinAmp is the same version on both computers, and has the same plugins, it looks like you should be able to manually copy the *.ini files in the WinAmp & Plugins directories.

Quote:
Can I lock people out from being able to do anything other than Search, drag&drop from Media Library to Playlist, or highlight an artist for the Info screen below Media Library?
No, unfortunately.
In WinXP/2000, you can deny other users write access to your music directories so they can't change your music files. I don't think it's a good idea to block write access to the WinAmp directory though...? ...that's where all your preferences & media library data are kept, but I believe I heard that WinAmp will err if it can't open certain files for writing.

Quote:
Can the Artist Info Screen be setup to display the currently playing song?
What Artist Info Screen? Are you talking about Now Playing in the media library?

Quote:
When ripping a CD that is one you like more than most, what settings (bitrate, Quality, and Joint Stereo or Stereo)would be best, if your not too concerned with drive space?
LAME MP3 encoder: --preset standard or --alt-preset standard
Should be an option now in WinAmp 5.03 Pro.

Quote:
And finally is there a way to Rate a song other than in the Media Library, such as in the Playlist Editor or the Currently playing song?
There ought to be, but no. The media library is a seperate program component from the playlist editor, which is why the interface is inconsistent from one to the other.

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Moguta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 00:12   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Relevant settings files
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=158332

Re: rating from playlist & more
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....35#post1307235
Old 4th April 2004, 01:06   #9
Moguta

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Re: rating from playlist & more
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....35#post1307235
Ah, sweetness! =D
Glad to see that feature finally made it, even if by a seperate plugin.

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Moguta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 01:10   #10
electricmime
Major Dude

yeah, and

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138586

that allows you to set hotkeys to rating (ctrl alt 1 = 1 star)

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 02:25   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

...and I take it that the ratings hotkeys also work with modern skins?
Reason I ask is because the Toaster notifier pop-up supposedly works with classic skins only.

Surely must, so I guess I should also add links to Toaster in the Most Requested Features & Wishlist stickys...
Old 4th April 2004, 02:40   #12
electricmime
Major Dude

toaster works with modern skins... it just doesnt steal the skin, and i believe there is a small problem with toaster and docking (im not sure, because i dont dock)

but yes, the hotkeys work with modern skins also

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2004, 18:18   #13
Ikarus7

is there a query to search in everything ? anything the idtag contains should be searched ?
Ikarus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 02:35   #14
afruff23

I believe you can search withing any of the ID3 V2.3 tags(ID V1 if you don't have them)
afruff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion