Old 7th March 2006, 04:52   #1
Panther37

Send a message via ICQ to Panther37 Send a message via AIM to Panther37 Send a message via Yahoo to Panther37
FIX: winamp 5.2 "Killing" your iPod.

So I installed winamp 5.2 and it crashed when I hooked up my iPod. It was getting dark and I had to mow the lawn so I just grabbed my ipod and I was just going to listen to what was there. I hit shuffle songs and nothing happened. I looked and there were no songs on my "Haole." Then I went to Settings -> About. My ipod was full. So I read on the forums for a half hour and found this solution.

Open up windows explorer. Make sure you can see hidden folders.
Goto H:\iPod_Control\iTunes (H: is the drive letter of your iPod)
COPY iTunesDB.old to iTunesDB <- Please copy so you don't ruin your backup file.
Disconnect your iPod and enjoy.

I also suggest uninstalling 5.2 and reinstalling 5.13 and ml_iPod

Last edited by Panther37; 7th March 2006 at 05:09.
Panther37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 13:30   #2
TheEh

didnt work

this didnt work on mine. same as always. its as if the old file and the new file are exactly the same. any reason why it worked for you and not for me?

i have a 30gb ipod video.
TheEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 08:27   #3
Kr1

It didn't work on mine either. I downgraded to 5.13 and attempted the fix, but there's already a DB in the folder in addition to DB.old. I'm afraid I'm going to need my hand held a little more... delete DB and rename .old to DB? Delete .old and leave the folder as is?

I have a 4GB iPod Mini.

Whether I get this fixed or not, I'm staying with 5.13 forever, incessant upgrade pop-ups whenever I start Winamp notwithstanding.
Kr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 11:20   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Delete the 3rd-party ml_ipod plugin and reinstall 5.21 with native ipod support (ml_pmp / pmp_ipod.dll).

That's why it doesn't work, because 1) ml_ipod doesn't work with 5.21 and 2) if ml_ipod is present it takes precedence over the native pmp_ipod plugin.

@ Kr1

Winamp > Prefs > General Preferences:
Uncheck "look for new versions at startup".

(if you want to stick with ml_ipod then yes, it's 5.13 forever for you).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 20:30   #5
scrapmaker

I've been using 5.2 for my 60Gb video for a while now... and the only thing I've noticed lately, is that I think that winamp corrupts the database file on the Ipod...

I have songs show up as P.O.D. when clearly I'm hearing gangsta rap, etc... I'm thinking of wiping the entire Ipod and starting from scratch with 5.21, instead of coming from iTunes...

but I've never experienced winamp KILLING the ipod... only what I've mentioned... -- It makes me wonder how much of the database is actually corrupted though...
scrapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 21:00   #6
chicken316

Are there any other fixes? I have deleted ml_ipod and re-installed 5.21 still not seeing the Shuffle. How would I know if I have the native (ml_pmp / pmp_ipod.dll)? I am not seeing any plug-ins for Ipod at all. I have unchecked the 'look for new verions at startup' as well.
chicken316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 21:25   #7
scrapmaker

you don't need to activate any plug-ins of any kind..

activate the Media Library, then plug in your ipod... after a bit, a tab for 'Portables' should show up...

if not, look through the preferences... there's a tab for portables... do you see the ipod plug-in there? There's no configuration for it, but it should still be there.

if it still doesn't work... maybe completely uninstall/reinstall winamp... delete registry entries and all winamp files/folders?
scrapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 12:22   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yup, make sure "iPod support" is selected under:
Winamp Library > Portable Media Player Support
in the Winamp installer options.

You can also check to make sure ml_ipod.dll is not present and both ml_pmp.dll and pmp_ipod.dll both exist in the Winamp\Plugins folder.
Old 22nd May 2006, 17:27   #9
Kr1

I reinstalled 5.21 and uninstalled ml_ipod, still no results, all kind of files unfindable and unplayable. I tried reinstalling 5.21 again and now I can't even get Winamp to install, I get error message after error message after error message. In three days it's gone from fully functional to unusable... what happened?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtf.jpg (46.3 KB, 495 views)
Kr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 13:43   #10
ramrodnobs

Same here. Fixing it is easy for me. I used XPLAY's "recover lost songs" feature. Sometimes the playlists come back....alas sometimes they don't.

I would rathar use Winamp but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this crap. Uninstalled old Winamp(s) and installed new 5.2 (and 5.22) but same thing. Playlist shows up as a root item and then hoses up everything. Tired of screwing up the pod with everything I try.

I paid for Pro and found that maybe I shouldn't have. Wanted to rip with LAME (constant bitrate MP3) but can't seem to find that option. Seems to be greyed out.
ramrodnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 01:04   #11
Alphaman

Running 5.22 on XP SP2 with an iPod Mini 6G and the suggested fix worked perfectly. I've now got all my music "back".

The .old file was 8KB smaller than the new one (772K vs. 780K).

Thanks for the tip,
Aaron
Alphaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 20:31   #12
OdessaCubbage

If I made the database file read-only, would that stop the corruption?

Also, this fix may not work for all iPods: it seems to be working for the minis, but not for the videos.
Old 14th August 2006, 05:02   #13
Panther37

Send a message via ICQ to Panther37 Send a message via AIM to Panther37 Send a message via Yahoo to Panther37
I used this fix on my 4g monocrome. Now that 5.22 is out I'm thinking of trying that. If you need the 5.13 win32 exe, let me know and I can help you find it.
Old 14th August 2006, 10:52   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The latest version is actually 5.24, with 5.25 due for release very shortly.
Native ipod support (pmp_ipod.dll) is greatly improved in 5.25.
You can test it for now via the 5.25 public beta.

Also note that the 3rd-party ml_ipod plugin is now being developed again (development has been taken over by abu):
http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=69
http://www.mlipod.com
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=114821

ml_ipod v1.42 now works with Winamp 5.24 and later.
But again, remember, to avoid any conflicts/issues make sure that only one of the two plugins is present (ie. one of ml_ipod or pmp_ipod, not both).

Re: old (unsupported) versions of Winamp
All versions are available at www.winampheaven.net
Old 14th August 2006, 20:21   #15
Panther37

Sorry, I kinda brought this thread back from the dead by accident. I think I'm just going to wait for the non-beta 5.25 to come out and upgrade with that.

Thanks for the great info.
Old 15th August 2006, 02:04   #16
Alphaman

I loaded the latest rev of ml_ipod a couple weeks back. It's flawless, from my perspective. I can manage playlists on the iPod again, pull files back off, deal with podcasts -- all of it. Sweet. I've not lost my media once since removing the pmp and reloading ml_ipod.

I'm very sure that some day WinAMP's version will catch up with its current feature set, but there's no telling how far ahead ml_ipod will be at that time. pmp_ipod will have to move a lot quicker than dribs and drabs every 3 or 4 months for me to quit using ml_ipod at this time.
Alphaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 19:45   #17
Import

I don't understand what you mean by copy the .old file to the DB file...
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support