Old 18th November 2009, 18:04   #1
wpuser1

Windows 7 Winamp hangs does not respond

In Windows 7 Ultimate Winamp (5.56) hangs and does not respond anymore (even after waiting 45 minutes).
I have restarted the system a few times, no result.
I have download the latest version from winamp.com and re-installed it again, no result.

Is Winamp able to run under Windows 7 OS (X86) or not????
wpuser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 09:54   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
full uninstall and reinstall
Information required when posting

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:16   #3
Hiielind

Hi, I have Windows 7 Home Premium and here latest Winamp working perfectly! Probably I should uninstall and intall it again...
Also try Winamp Taskbar for windows 7 (use Google for shearching!)!!!!
Hiielind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 14:46   #4
wpuser1

Well, i already mentioned in my first post that i uninstalled and reinstalled it.
Did not work.

Please include all relevant Winamp & System specs, including:

-A List of Plugins: NONE
-PC or Motherboard make/model: ELITEGROUP 945GZT-M
-CPU & RAM: INTEL DUAL CORE 1.83 GHZ - 2GB RAM
-Sound card or chip: CREATIVE SB AUDIGY SE
-Videocard: ATI RADEON SAPPHIRE X1650 PRO
-Windows OS: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE SP1 RETAIL (X86)
-DirectX version: 11
-Winamp version: 5.56
-Confirmation of the Winamp installation type: FULL
Old 20th November 2009, 15:30   #5
jmlepercq

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiielind
Hi, I have Windows 7 Home Premium and here latest Winamp working perfectly! Probably I should uninstall and intall it again...
Also try Winamp Taskbar for windows 7 (use Google for shearching!)!!!!
Hallo,

I have only troubles with Modern and Bento skins; All the old skins of a vew years ago, they are playing perfectly, but when i choose Modern,Bento or Big Bento, the computer is crashing !! on my Windows7 Ultimate.

Greetings,
Jean-Marie,
jmlepercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:04   #6
wpuser1

I can not even select a skin when i startup Winamp.
Maybe only while install it and i always use Big Bento skin.
Old 20th November 2009, 23:52   #7
maneff

Send a message via ICQ to maneff
turn UAC off for real and forever :/
And don't install in FULL mode, install just what you need. For example a couple of plugins for mp3players, some things in library and others makes conflicts with each other.
So while installing, just click Lite and than select what you need :> That's the right way. Also avoid installing toolbar and other addons
maneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 10:41   #8
wpuser1

well i had no issues with UAC.
UAC will warn you whenever there an error occur.
Old 21st November 2009, 11:01   #9
wpuser1

Just tried rightmouse button on the Winamp icon and click properties, compatibility and enabled "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3" then it gave me "script error blablablabla".

Sigh....
Old 21st November 2009, 15:21   #10
wpuser1

Ok i have uninstalled winamp full and installed the winamp lite.
That works, however the looks are horrific (classic theme).
Also i can not search for internet radiostations like i can with the full version.
Old 21st November 2009, 17:27   #11
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Now you have a working Winamp, run the installer a few more times, noting what extra features you are adding. For example, try a full install again and avoid the Bento skin as per the earlier poster suggested.

I am on Vista, and use a classic skin from choice. I also don't let the installer install things like Winamp Agent, Orgler, Winamp Remote, The WinampAOL Toolbar, "Set as default Search".

This works fine on my copy of Vista 64bit OS.

If it turns out to be the Bento skin, then you could experiment with the Classic Pro skins addon - cpro. skinconsortium .com
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 19:07   #12
wpuser1

I never had any issues with Vista.
Ill try to install the full version again and then avoid Bento.
Old 21st November 2009, 19:37   #13
wpuser1

ok, seems Bento is not the issue.
I installed the full version with the modern skin and it gives the same issues.
Old 21st November 2009, 19:45   #14
DrO

what is the exact script error as this thread is rather vague in actual details to try to track the issue down.

another option (which i've done and makes things work a bit smoother) is to move the skins folder from the Winamp folder into %appdata%\Winamp and then change the skins folder in the preferences to use that folder.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 19:52   #15
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

wpuser1: You need to take this slower. Step by step. You are trying to spot which feature is messing with your Win 7 setup.

It is clearly something in the FULL install, but not in the LITE install. So a process of elimination is required.

Uninstall Winamp again.
Select the LITE install.
Then customise it to add on sub section at a time until you are back to the "full" install

This time, try just adding the "Multimedia Engine" section.
Complete the install and test.

If it works, return to the install, this time add "Winamp Library" items.
Complete install and test.

This will help you narrow it down without having to add each and every feature one by one.

When you spot which section holds the item that kills your Winamp on Win7 - return to the installer, and work through the items in that section a few at a time.

Note that there are plenty of users in this forum who are using Windows 7 happily.
Old 30th November 2009, 11:27   #16
listeruk

I had this problem with a virtual drive (alcohol) on Windows 7.

The only solution I've found is uninstall the drive or uninstall Winamp.

Frankly, this is as serious a bug as it gets; not only does the prog crash, but the whole system freezes.
listeruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 11:38   #17
Maruda

I have the same problem, and need to say that none of uninstalling/reinstalling stuff doesnt't solve the problem Think i'll finally return to vista ..
Maruda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 00:38   #18
TakuSkan

Quote:
Originally posted by Batter Pudding
wpuser1: You need to take this slower. Step by step...
..Then customise it to add on sub section at a time until you are back to the "full" install..
I took your advice Batter Pudding and found that by disabling the 'CD Rip & Burn' feature during setup I was able to get v5.56 working in Win7.

See my post in another recent thread.

TS

Last edited by TakuSkan; 1st December 2009 at 02:47.
TakuSkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 09:36   #19
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ouch - now that is something the Devs will need to know as that is a rather vital part. Well done for finding it, now lets hope it is fixable.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:17   #20
TakuSkan

It worked on my system. It'll be interesting to hear from a few others who are having similar problems and see if it works for them. It's possible the fix is only specific to my system.

v5.56 had been working for me fine in Win7 beta 7100 until I installed Vista audio drivers for the 1st time under Win7's 'compatibility mode' in order to enable recording for a project I'm working on. Up to that point this system only had the audio drivers Win7 b7100 had set up.

For those who don't follow the link I provided, I should have mentioned in my post above that I also disabled 'Sonic Ripping/Burning support' in the 'Multimedia Engine' section of the setup options.

That eliminated the installation error message I mentioned in that thread. But it didn't seem to be necessary, as v5.56 was funtional for the most part without disabling it in the installation setup.

TS
Old 1st December 2009, 11:23   #21
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ah - audio drivers and compatibility mode. That sounds messy. I notice that you are using an ancient Audigy which Creative tried to kill with their "intentionally broken driver" in Vista. So it doesn't surprise me they are doing that again in Win7.

Why don't you just nip out and buy a new X-Fi sound card? I got a PCI-Express one for about £35 the other day. For such a small cost, it will save you a lot of headaches. (Also available in PCI flavours)
Old 1st December 2009, 11:42   #22
TakuSkan

Quote:
Originally posted by Batter Pudding
I notice that you are using an ancient Audigy ...
That's not me... I have no Audigy in this system. I'm just using the audio hardware on the Asus MB I installed some time back. The drivers are from Realtek.

But yes... compatibility mode can get messy. Thus my wondering if this fix may be specific to my system

TS
Old 1st December 2009, 11:51   #23
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Whoops - I scrolled back up and thought you were the OP.

I'd still sling the same advice your way - instead of working with the rather basic onboard Realtek, a new sound dedicated card will sound a LOT better (though, if you do get a Creative, do a "drivers only" install direct from the latest drivers on the website. Creative don't half love filling a PC with a lot of crud)

I have a XP PC I use for TV, Video and Audio - and was more than surprised by the upgrade in quality the X-Fi added to that PC. (And I am not exactly a creative fan)
Old 1st December 2009, 12:03   #24
TakuSkan

I have an Echo Indigo I used on my old notebook for years. I listen with an pair of the original Sony MDR-7509s before they put horrible new drivers in them.

The sound coming from this Asus through the MDR-7509s sounds pretty much as good as the Indigo... at least to my very battered ears.

TS
Old 1st December 2009, 12:45   #25
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

If you don't want to change the hardware, then I suggest keeping a regular eye on the Realtek drivers site and just pray for an update from them. Based on how long it took companies to tweak their Vista drivers into working, you may have a long wait.

Running drivers in compatibility mode is always going to cause problems. I have learnt that sometimes just splashing a bit of cash saves me those wasted hours and headaches of chasing these kinds of problems.
Old 4th December 2009, 04:50   #26
TakuSkan

Quote:
Originally posted by Batter Pudding ...I suggest keeping a regular eye on the Realtek drivers site and just pray for an update from them.
I'm sorry I mentioned installing my Realtek sound drivers in compatibility mode. I just ran a couple tests and have found that Windows 7 DOES in fact accept them without having to use the compatibility mode.

When I downloaded the latest audio drivers for my Asus MB last week and found only Windows OSs up to Vista listed, I mistakenly assumed Windows 7 would reject installing the Vista drivers. So I set the drivers' setup.exe to compatibility mode before I even tried installing them normally to see if Windows 7 would accept them.

However after uninstalling the new drivers, rebooting and letting Windows 7 set up it's own drivers that have been installed for several months, doing some tests, and then reinstalling the latest Realtek drivers again without specifying compatibility mode, I find they work just fine in Windows 7.

By mentioning that use of compatibility mode I'm afraid I took v5.56 off the hook for being responsible for the problems freezing I was having.

I wish wpuser1, listeruk, Maruda, and athegn would report back to us as to whether or not disabling 'CD Rip & Burn' in setup might have solved their similar problems.

TS
Old 4th December 2009, 09:07   #27
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Windows 7 is Vista. Just with tweaks under the hood and a different interface. There is a common driver model between the two OSs. (Or close enough when there is no official release)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support