Old 28th October 2009, 02:43   #1
btmac

Winamp's dumbest flaw

I searched through the forums, and found complaints about this issue going at least back to 2006. We backward folks who decide to dispense with the Media Library, and simply select files from Windows Explorer, are stuck with a default sort that sequences the files in ALPHABETICAL ORDER! This is utterly nonsensical. I am an opera fan, and you can imagine how comical the results can be with such a sort order. Yes, I know you can change it with Misc/Sort Order/filename, but you can not make it the default, so you have to do it every single time you drag files in. Someone please tell me of some other musical format that does not use track order as the standard. CDs? - nope. Digital music players? - nope. LPs? - nope. Cassette/45s/Reel to Reel? - nope, nope, nope.

I don't know squat about writing code, but this seems like Programming 101. It seems downright perverse that Winamp won't address this elementary absurdity, that listeners have been complaining about for at least three years. All those folks were evidently screaming in a vacuum. In order to improve the chances, I'M ASKING THAT EVERYONE WHO READS THIS POST TO ADD THEIR TWO CENTS WORTH BY REPLYING TO THIS POST. Maybe if we can get a hundred annoyed Winampers in a chorus, they will pay attention.
btmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 02:54   #2
thegood

Actually, when you add files from Windows Explorer, Winamp will add them according to the order of selection. You have two easy work-arounds:
- Rename the files so that it's in the format "<Track Number> - <Track Title>" (that's what I do)
- Have the Track Number column enabled when you're in Windows Explorer (in Details view) so that you can sort by track number, and thus easily select in that order
thegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 03:24   #3
btmac

I have 10,736 music files on my computer, so #1 is not an option even with a bulk renamer. I addressed #2 in my initial post: Why in the devil should I have to manually re-sort every time I bring files into Winamp, just because they designed a default sort system NO ONE would ever use?

There is only one way to select files in Explorer so they are ordered by filename (I do, by the way, have track number checked in Details). If you select the last file then SHIFT/CTRL and select the first file, they load up in the proper order. If you drag an entire folder over, sometimes it works - sometimes not. I'd like CTRL+A - drag 'em over a whole bunch better.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:38   #4
JonnyMac

The sort order you see in the Open File boxes is primarily a Windows thing and unrelated to the application. However, there is a trick to getting Windows to remember the preferred sort order.

In the open file box, right click on a empty space in the list > select 'Arrange Icons By' > select the preferred sort order (in this case Track Number). Then, while holding down the Ctrl key click the red x in the open file box. From now on, each time you use the Open File box, the files should be ordered by track.

Also, in Winamp Preferences...
  1. Winamp > Ctrl+P (for Preferences)
  2. General Preferences > Playlist
  3. in the 'Advanced Playlist Settings' box make sure that 'When loading multiple files, sort files by name' is unchecked

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 15:44   #5
btmac

I don't see where this gets me any further down the road. I already know how to order my files by track in Windows - and I do just that. The trick is to get Winamp to accept that preferred order, and I still don't see any way around rearranging them each time with Misc>Sort order>filename in the Playlist Editor. That remains the simplest way of re-sorting each playlist, and that's what I'm crabbing about - along with at least a couple dozen others who have posted on this issue over the past few years.

Workarounds and clever fixes still require an extra step or two - in this case, every time you load files - and seemingly Winamp could offer a simple addition to its functionality that would eliminate millions of mouse-clicks per year for Winampers everywhere. There are only two explanations for this shortcoming: They just don't know about it - in which case they're not paying attention; or they do know about it - in which case they have decided that continuous complaints from their users are not important.

I repeat: This is Winamp's dumbest flaw.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:04   #6
ujay
Forum King

If you drag an entire folder over, sometimes it works - sometimes not.

The last file clicked is the first file sent, this is standard Windows behaviour. This applies to drag and drop, play with and enqueue with.

So if you pick up a selection of files the delivery order is :- last file clicked to end of selection, followed by first file in selection to completion.

i.e. select files 7 to 15 in Explorer, pick up with file 10 and drop on playlist produces :-

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 23:07   #7
JonnyMac

@btmac
If I understood your post correctly, you want the files to be listed by track when loaded in Winamp. As mentioned by thegood, when files added from Windows Explorer, Winamp will add according to the order of selection (with the exception mentioned by ujay).

So the idea was to change the default sort order in the open files box to make it easier (less steps) to select by track.

@ujay
Your two redundantly frivolous posts were deleted. Do not let it happen again.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 01:54   #8
btmac

I'm going to run a series of tests, because I don't think things are as predictable as you posit. This will take some time to make sure I've eliminated all variables other than selection method. I'll get to this in the next day or two - so stay tuned.

The underlying question, though, is this: If Winamp allows you to do a Misc>Sort>Sort by filename (mine all are prefixed with track #) and have them properly ordered, why doesn't it use that as the default, and save everyone extra steps, or making sure you've followed Windows selection format? After all, I can only imagine some rare instances where one would listen by anything other than track order.
Old 29th October 2009, 02:34   #9
gaekwad2
Foorum King

This would be a case for the Wishlist I think, maybe something like 'When loading multiple files, sort files by:' followed with a dropdown box featuring whatever metadata field people might want them to be sorted by (plus file name and Don't Sort).
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2009, 22:49   #10
furiouszed

Hope this helps...

Hi btmac,

I just wasted the best part of an hour typing something I thought would help you... which I just realised doesn't work the way I thought. I'm going to paste the last part of my reply just so I don't feel my time has been completely wasted:

My CD ripper creates an m3u playlist file when it rips a CD. If not, then I sort by track number in Explorer (you've already said you know how to do this) and drag all the mp3s into the playlist, making sure you "pick up and drag" track 1 as ujay mentioned. Then simply save the playlist as "my opera cd.m3u". Now just opening that m3u file will play the tracks in the right order.

Hope that helps. If anything is unclear let me know

==============================================
For anyone who cares, the rest of the thread went like this:

I just had to reinstall Winamp and lost all my settings... so I started messing around with a few of the options which I had left alone in the past in case they screwed up those settings. (Now that all my settings needed resetting anyway, I thought I'd play and see what happened.) Here's one thing I found that I thought was interesting and might help you out.

Add one track from an album to the playlist editor, then right-click and select "Queue album from playlist". It actually goes to the folder that the single track came from and adds every other mp3 in track order.

All the tracks will now have a track number in [brackets] next to the runtime. You will probably end up with two copies of that first track so you'll need to delete one. (Delete the one that doesn't have a [#] next to it.) Then, if you want to get rid of all those [#]s, simply select all tracks with CTRL+A and press Q (which will unqueue them all).

[I've now realised that "Queue album from playlist" means that Winamp needs the m3u playlist file to find out the sort order... obvious when you're not as tired as I am Maybe that handy option will be useful for someone else reading this thread.]
furiouszed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 23:13   #11
lostipod

Thank you btmac!!! This has been seriously irritating me for years now, and you're right, it is seriously perplexing. I just downloaded 5.56 lite to see if it had been fixed, and it doesn't look like it has. BTW, Options -> Preferences -> Playlist and check “When loading multiple files, sort by name” does not work consistently.

The only solution I've found (which hasn't been extensively tested but so far seems fine) is to download Winamp 2.91. Of course, like you I'd rather use a current version. I'm using it on Win 7 Pro 64 and it works but I'm sure there will be a day when it won't. Also, although I'm not a fan of the library interface, it would be nice to have the option say if I wanted to listen to all the tracks I have of a certain artist without right clicking multiple folders (ala Winamp 5).

So assuming I'm right about 2.91, please don't say it can't be done, because it looks like it has! I mean, this was the whole interface/way that Winamp started and I'm sure people weren't listening to their albums with a random track order all the time. I sure don't remember it happening till Winamp 5.
lostipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 23:59   #12
lostipod

Just did some further testing and it looks like I was wrong. Even under Winamp 2.91 the tracks are sorted by the order that they are sorted in Windows Explorer (even if you go Options -> Preferances -> Options -> Sort files on load). Or maybe it's just because I've installed/uninstalled so many times between 2.91 and 5.56. Unlikely but possible I suppose. With 5.56, it plays in the Windows Explorer order (tried sorting by track number and by track name) and again it plays in Windows Explorer order whether “When loading multiple files, sort by name” is checked or not.

Last edited by lostipod; 5th December 2009 at 00:24.
Old 5th December 2009, 22:50   #13
TakuSkan

Quote:
Originally posted by btmac I'd like CTRL+A - drag 'em over a whole bunch better.
Isn't 'CTRL+A > right click > Enqueue in Winamp' pretty much just as easy?

Reading through this thread I vaguely remembered I had this problem many years back. But since I set up using the Windows context menu to enqueue either files or folders so they show up in Winamp's playlist properly, this hasn't been a problem for me anymore.

Quote:
I have 10,736 music files on my computer, so #1 is not an option even with a bulk renamer.
I have 25000+ music files, but having switched to FooBar2000 as my default music player, I've discovered all kinds of problems in my tags. So I've been using MP3Tag to mass retag huge batches of files. MP3Tag makes it very easy to mass rename files based on any group of tags you want.

Are you still following this thread btmac?

TS
TakuSkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 08:32   #14
Sours

Ctrl + A > Send to > Auto Tag... Finished in a hour on my computer with 11,000 songs...
Sours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 19:57   #15
lostipod

TakuSkan,
Just tried FooBar2000 and it sorts by Album then track # by default, no need to worry about Windows Explorer settings! And you can right click from the folder, no need to use a media library if you don't want to! Thanks!
Old 9th December 2009, 00:37   #16
TakuSkan

de nada
TakuSkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support