Old 7th February 2005, 22:56   #1
fiShbRaiN

Tints and Hips (as in "i need") - Sprites & Projectors

Yo dudes,

Hows things in Milktown? [nope.. sorry... no new presets from me...I've been writing music instead]

Just a couple of things

1) I am going to use Milkdrop in a live show with a data projector. Any experienced dudes out there got any hints or tips for doing such a gig?

2) How does one use the "milk_img.ini", and whats this talk of "sprites"? Can someone please exlain how to construct, program and use these things?

Cheers,

Keep milkin'
fiShbRaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 01:14   #2
imus

Send a message via AIM to imus Send a message via Yahoo to imus
When I was working for I-MAG VIDEO I used thier projectors with MilkDrop.
It looked alright, but didn't seem to react to music as quickly and detail wasn't the best. Then again the computer that I hooked it all up to wasn't then best either. I imagine had I brought my computer in that it would of looked great.
What size screen are you using?
For projectors and screens check out www.ImagVideo.com

actually, I just visited this site for 1st time in almost 6 months, and now I think it's trying to install spyware. It trys to get you to install it.

I think its the site but not sure.
imus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 05:22   #3
papaw00dy

Send a message via ICQ to papaw00dy Send a message via AIM to papaw00dy Send a message via Yahoo to papaw00dy
Milkdrop looks great on almost any projector, you will either need and LCD one that is capable of svga(800x600) or xga(1024x768) would be better or even an old RGB one will do assuming you have the right connections to come from your computer.

As far as sprites go, I made an .ini file you can use to do some cool things. You can find it on my home page at
Milkdrop Sprite Page
papaw00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 08:59   #4
StudioMusic
Major Dude

fiShbRaiN your #2 question can easily be answered in the milkdrop config panel under view docs, then click on sprites. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2005, 22:49   #5
fiShbRaiN

Cheers guys, I had a quick look at a projector I have access to, and it seems to work fine and look great! Tried using the "VJ" mode and that works fine.

I hunted some stuff down in the winamp forums about sprites and got them "doing stuff" (another little undiscovered bit of milkdrop- cool)... cheers for the link papawoody.

StudioM: I didn't find the MilkDrop docs particularly helpful I'm afraid...

A little issue tho... would be nice to cache the sprites somehow, some of the larger ones look fine except for a small delay before they are put up on screen.

[Better than Commodore 64 sprites!]
Old 9th February 2005, 00:28   #6
papaw00dy

Send a message via ICQ to papaw00dy Send a message via AIM to papaw00dy Send a message via Yahoo to papaw00dy
actually when I first starting messing with sprites I would usually leave one of the effects set to nothing. That way you could load it at the begining and it would effectively "cache" the image, so when you brought it up again it would work instantly. But another thing to keep in mind is that it is better to have sprites no bigger than 512x512. And if my memory serves me currectly. Milkdrop works better with sprites that are square like that.

and I've been working on a new set of sprite effects, set for release as soon as I get my laptop back from the shop.
papaw00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2005, 22:57   #7
fiShbRaiN

512x512... good tip 8-)

so, anyone used - dare i say it - something other than MilkDrop in their VJing?

Now I've found sprites... Milkdrop is seems even better suited to VJ! Tried downloading demos of VJamm, VisualJockey, Resolume, SVi... hmmmm.... ok... some of them.. sort of.. but still dont think they compare to milkdrop overall.

And I'm having wierd technical issues (geForce FX 5600 256Mb card)... i cant really play .avi's AND use MilkDrop without a lot of fcuking around... (Milkdrop MUST be HORITZONTAL SPAN, any fullscreen .avi MUST be played in DUALVIEW... and its painful and looks ugly switching live between the two)

Cheers again,
Will have to get back on that Milky wagon again presets-wise methinks...

Yehaaaa!>...
Old 7th March 2005, 23:35   #8
fiShbRaiN

Gig went well 8-)

Windows didnt crash or lock up once!... I recorded the audio for the gig on my machine at the same time... had song titles all set up... 100 cool sprite presets to spice things up...

multiple comments of "loved the visuals" ... cool

[milkdrop rocks]
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets