Old 30th November 2005, 14:24   #1
Raa

Transparency Plugin Freezing Winamp

Hi Guys

I was running Winamp 5.1 "Surround Edition" (and all the previous 5.x versions before that, yes in every increment)

Never ever had an issue with anything!

I installed Winamp 5.112, and it opens on the system-tray (not taskbar), plays the first song, wont play the second, and wont show the main window

Only way to close it is to taskmanager-end task it.

Remove the gen_alpha.dll plugin, works fine again.

I did a fully clean install to double check, and same problem. Checked with V 5.1 - works.

Is this "bug" likely to be fixed? Or is there a setting I have to change....

Just thought i'd give the heads up.

No doubt at this juncture people are going to jump in and say "Use another plugin" or "Use Modern Mode!". Sorry guys, but I'm happy with what I have, simple and easy to use, nothing fancy, that's all I want winamp to be - BUT i'd like to use the new version/s too!

Well, cheers everyone! Have a good one,
Raa.

Win2k Rules. Period.
Raa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005, 15:10   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I've just tried all 3 transparency plugins, gen_alpha , gen_tfx, and lucidamp , and they all work fine for me with classic skins on Winamp 5.12 beta (not publically available). Sure, there may have been a problem with 5.112... especially if you keep the main winamp window hidden and eg. just use the playlist window.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005, 16:54   #3
DrO

yeah, it is a bit screwy on 5.112 (and i think 5.111 as well) for me (was messing around with it for something else a few days back and is almost another to make me mess around with the source code for it)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005, 23:22   #4
Raa

Allright so long as it wasn't just me haha

Thanks for the heads-up on the new version Egg, sounds like the bug's been squashed then!

Looking forward to the release!

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 10th December 2005, 00:35   #5
Raa

Gen_Alpha Freeze - Still present, now worse.

The subject sez it all.

Before, winamp would load up and play the first song then freeze, and the main window wouldn't show (classic, v5.112)

This time the whole pc locks solid the moment I open winamp. (v5.12)

Back to the drawing board for this one I think

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 10th December 2005, 00:52   #6
DrO

i've just tried gen_alpha with 5.12 and i'm not getting the issues i was having with it in 5.112. have you tried it with a clean install?

i'm looking at the source code at the moment trying to see if there's anything with it that could cause such an issue (though gen_alpha really needs to be updated for 5.x compatability which i'm tempted to do)

-daz
Old 10th December 2005, 00:53   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Why not just use TransparentFX instead?
Old 10th December 2005, 22:47   #8
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
(though gen_alpha really needs to be updated for 5.x compatability which i'm tempted to do)
tadda!! v1.6

Raa: try this build since i've tweaked the init code slightly. if that doesn't work then try removing it's settings from winamp.ini (with winamp closed) and then restart winamp so the default values can be used.

i will say that TransparentFX is nice (the mouseover action is neat but it's a bit OTT with all the fade options i find) but heh, that's just me

[UPDATE 11-12-2005]
Download removed since the plugin itself is fundamentally flawed and needs a complete re-code to even start to make it work correctly since the setting of the alpha transparency on the eq and main windows under normal subclassing conditions breaks the message queue, etc hence all of the lockups experienced with 1.4 and the dead 1.6 build

-daz
Old 10th December 2005, 23:55   #9
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
dro i get problems with this plugin (clean 5.12 xpsp2)

in Modern skin close button doesnt work except on mainwindow. i get black screens on pl and ml. there is a very large startup time when you load winamp with modern skin, the cpu spikes to 99 (slow loading time for classic too). changing from modern skin to classic skin will also cause spike.

also for ml, on a clean install, you know the "add media" window pops up, well this window cannot be closed and none of the buttons work on it, effectivly locking winamp.

I added .off extension to the plugin and restarted winamp, and it breaks teh classic skin(window there, but its grey)

So i deleted the stuff from winamp.ini, and removed the .off extension and now i cant even get winamp to load(still 99% usage, but at least the first time around it at least loaded)

also when i was playing with the menu's on modern pl Zone Alarm alerts me that winamp may be monitoring my keystrokes.

[edit]after deleting winamp.ini with plugin still installed, on startup i get just the eq. the interesting part is i get all the other checkmarked windows as soon as i open up preferences.

now i changed to modern skin (smoothly) restarted winamp, modern skin still broke, i switched to classic skin (main window gone, pl windows greyed, eq works)
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2005, 00:28   #10
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (33.0 KB, 145 views)
Old 11th December 2005, 13:17   #11
Raa

Okay guys

I moved my winamp.ini file out and ran both versions (1.4 and 1.6) of the plugin with the same result:
Winamp starts, but the main window is completely invisible and I can't find it on screen, no matter where I click.
The EQ window is also hidden, but i can click around and find it....

IF I put my winamp.ini file back - complete system freeze. I tried removing gen alpha's entries in the ini file - no dice, still froze. (Again, tried for both 1.4 & 1.6)

Getting to be a bit troublesome...... Any more ideas? Wish I was a programmer to help out :P

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 11th December 2005, 13:32   #12
DrO

i've tracked down the issue to the way that the hooked data about the windows is stored so i'll be re-coding most of that to make a 1.7 (thanks to billyvnilly last night for helping test out a number of test builds to help narrow things down). what is strange is that it only shows for me on a clean 5.12 install and not my main dev install

-daz
Old 11th December 2005, 18:19   #13
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Raa, ive found on the earlier ones, that only the eq likes to show itself. i also found if you open preferences the main window and pledit will show themsleves and winamp unfreezes.

make sure you have winamp or winamp agent in your system tray so that you can right click it, and open up preferences from there.

also, what operating system are you running?
Old 11th December 2005, 18:23   #14
DrO

quick update... i've fixed up parts of the code but it's the initial setting of the alpha flag onto the windows that causes the lockups. there's functions in the code being called when there's not even valid data (which was causing some of the issues that i've fixed). alas it's either a full re-code of this that's needed or to just give and ditch it (since i've wasted 2 days when i should be working on gen_k-jofol and jtfe)

-daz
Old 11th December 2005, 18:31   #15
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

gen_k-jofol and jtfe

gen_k-jofol and jtfe

gen_k-jofol and jtfe!!!

although this plugin is VERY cool, it distracts from your ultimate goal of k-jofol skins for winamp...and it would be cool to see a new version of jtfe in an official WA release.
Old 11th December 2005, 18:32   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Why not just use TransparentFX instead?
Old 11th December 2005, 19:01   #17
DrO

screw this plugin, is a pita and i'm not going to waste my time on it any more.

Raa, sorry but this is more hassle than it's worth to even attempt to properly fix. i may look at it again at some stage but until then i'd use TransparentFX since it does the same as gen_alpha (just with a few more config options)

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support