Old 3rd December 2009, 06:17   #1
scmaverick

Winamp 5.56 hangs at start up

Hello community,
I have this serious problem with winamp which is really making me think twice before using it.
Whenever I want to open winamp it will hang there for 3-4 minutes before it actually shows the interface.
My system is vista 64b, 4GB ram, core 2 duo @2GH, winamp is 5.56
I always have a playlist with around 2500 songs, but that's not the problem as if I just clear the list and leave it empty, then I close winamp (closes immediatly) and try to open it again the same thing would happen.
And most of the times, once it shows the interface is still unusable, if I try to click on it it fades out and the window title would show the classic (Not responding)
I don't know if it is trying to load or read something, it will hang there for a while and finally will come up and I can use it just fine, this until I close it and try to reopen, then again same thing.
I've checked my plugins list and I don't see anything that is not nullsoft, so no third party plugins.
I've disable start up features from preference such as splash screen, check for updates, check for file associations...
I looked for a similar issue in the board but couldn't find anything of help, maybe you can show a little light here?
Thank you
scmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:04   #2
Docqualizer

An initial suggestion would be to change the skin to a very basic skin, close Winamp, give it a few seconds, then reopen it.

If it opens faster, then you may want to delete some of your more sophisticated skins and download them again. Then put the advanced skin up and, like above, close Winamp, give it a few seconds, then reopen it.

If it doesn't, search for threads on Winamp performance and uninstall/reinstall instructions - don't have them handy - sorry...

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding? (Elvis Costello)
Docqualizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:23   #3
scmaverick

oh well yes I forgot to mention, there are no skins at all, I always liked the classic style and that's what I've always used. In fact I never installed anything else.
I will try the reinstall instructions, but any other suggestion?
Old 4th December 2009, 00:00   #4
TakuSkan

I wonder if this is related to the problems I had with the components 'CD Rip & Burn' and 'Sonic Ripping/Burning support' making v5.56 freeze after installing it on a Windows 7 system.

See my recent post about disabling those during installation if you'd like to give it a try.

TS
TakuSkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 03:06   #5
scmaverick

see next update
Old 4th December 2009, 03:20   #6
scmaverick

Alright well takuskan, I followed your suggestion and removed cd burn and rip functions and sonic ripping from the installer, but also removed video plugins (i dont use winamp for video), portable players support (dont use it either), itunes support, online media, orgler, modern skin and drop box.
And actually is doing much better, now it starts up in seconds (wish it was instantly), so it was one of these options causing the problems, maybe tech support can tell us why?
Old 4th December 2009, 03:57   #7
TakuSkan

So I take it that Winamp is not freezing at all like it had been doing before... yes?

Since you disabled a number of components at installation setup and not just one, it's almost impossible to zero in on just which one or ones were causing the problem.

I found the 'CD Rip & Burn' component to be the primary problem for me. And I did that by doing multiple installations where I only disabled one feature at a time.

People install Winamp on so many different systems it's impossible for developers to duplicate the conditions for every glitch.

If you're interested enough in getting to the bottom of your issue, you might go back and run several installation tests as I had done and try to determine if one in particular was causing the problem. Then post your findings.

TS

Last edited by TakuSkan; 4th December 2009 at 04:15.
TakuSkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support