Old 3rd July 2003, 17:40   #1
Quake110

Send a message via ICQ to Quake110
Poll: Who's still using Winamp 3?

I'm interested to know how many people are still using Winamp 3.
Old 3rd July 2003, 19:02   #2
Kneebracehead

Send a message via ICQ to Kneebracehead Send a message via AIM to Kneebracehead Send a message via Yahoo to Kneebracehead
winamp3 rocks , and wasabii gives me a boner
Old 3rd July 2003, 19:48   #3
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
YEAH!!! WINAMP 3!!!

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Old 3rd July 2003, 19:53   #4
WomanOfHeart
Major Dudette

I'm using WinAmp3!

Old 3rd July 2003, 21:42   #5
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
this seems more as a "is winamp3 dead" kind of thread to me...

as i am a developer that uses WASABI in my applications, let me re-asure everyone that WASABI is not dead... remember, winamp3 is nothing. it doesnt actually exist. what we all know as winamp3 is mearly a collection of WASABI components and "skins." wasabi skins can be used in ANY wasabi application, as demonstrated w/ wIRC.

as of right now, i dont think too much work is being done on the winamp3 specific components (media encoders and decoders, stuff like this), BUT!!! wasabi isnt dead. its still being worked on. wasabi is a component, skinning, and scripting engine... winamp3 was more or less a simple application to show off these features. much like the games known as "Unreal Tournament 2003" and "Unreal 2" where mearly developped to show off the capabilities of the "Unreal Warfare" engine.

everyone seems to think that wasabi only means "winamp3" but i want everyone to know that this is WRONG. this is why i made Wasabi-IRC (tho its no where near finished). since it was an application all its own, instead of bearing the name of an existing application, you can see what wasabi is for... instead of comparing features to the existing application w/ the same name (IE Winamp v2).

ok, now to answere the question at hand... do i still use Winamp3? not regularly. its there for wasabi development purposes. once i get off of my lazy ass and make the components for it that i want, then ill start to use it again.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 4th July 2003, 02:58   #6
sanosuke
Major Dude

winamp3 is still going strong.

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
Old 4th July 2003, 14:41   #7
theboyjenkins

yep, still my default player

"...ambience?, I AM ambience"
Old 4th July 2003, 15:33   #8
Neksus

Yes Winamp3 rules and I am waiting for the Linux version because then I can use it both in my Windows and Linux boot!!!
Old 6th July 2003, 21:59   #9
UltraZelda64

Nope. I stopped when I realized it was dead, and got sick of playing around with the same damn version. That was a pretty long time ago. Back to Winamp 2... even though it seems to be getting nothing but useless features lately. CD ripping? Video? *cough*
Old 7th July 2003, 03:55   #10
Quake110

Send a message via ICQ to Quake110
Well for me... I'm sorry to say that I converted to QCD . Because it's skinning feature is almost flexible as Winamp 3 (Well, not a lot but you can design free-form skins) while it's fast as Winamp 2.
Old 7th July 2003, 21:29   #11
bassgoonist

I quit using winamp 3 ages ago...2.91 all the way!
Old 9th July 2003, 01:43   #12
TaRioNyX

still using, but....

I'm still using WA3, but i'm waiting for a new version to come out because I hate waiting for it to start up. I'd go back to using WMP9, if the playlists stuff didn't suck...Come on nullsoft...where's the love?
Old 9th July 2003, 23:42   #13
Docqualizer

Still using it....

Winamp 3, baybee!

Old 10th July 2003, 01:59   #14
RogueNoir

hehe, i only DLd winamp 3 today cos I need it to edit some ingame music for an MMORPG im playinmg(www.eve-online.com bloody good game), never knew what i was missing, this is far better than crappy winmedia9:P
Old 13th July 2003, 16:33   #15
mac1929

Using 2.91

After a few days with winamp3 I returned to winamp2. I don´t think that will use winamp3, it's too much resource hungry.
Old 13th July 2003, 21:41   #16
-[WonderBlood]-
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to -[WonderBlood]-
Using the old fast winamp2 engine but still waiting for a stable release of winamp3

Sorry for my really bad english
Old 14th July 2003, 14:42   #17
fionandean

Send a message via ICQ to fionandean
I have just downloaded Winamp 2.91 as it sounds rather like Winamp3 is going nowhere fast. But... while I will leave it on the no 2 computer (so I can at least give it a fair go) I will continue using Winamp3 on the main computer for most of my music listening. the library functions are much better, I love the winshade mode of MMD3 and while it is slower than 2.91, it compares pretty well with media player and MMJB and the sound quality is way way ahead. If I could be sure of getting upgrades for winamp3, I wouldn't go back to 2.x for anything.
Old 15th July 2003, 00:46   #18
nasty.bird

I kinda lost patience with WA3 and regressed to 2.xx after a week, but i *did* give it a decent shot at fame and fortune...
Old 15th July 2003, 04:17   #19
Helkite

I like the idea of wasabi, but I don't like WA 3 itself. Like many people have mentioned, it's too resource hungry. Maybe the WASABI tech can be used in other areas of the industry other than Winamp...
Old 15th July 2003, 04:38   #20
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
Quote:
Originally posted by Helkite
I like the idea of wasabi, but I don't like WA 3 itself. Like many people have mentioned, it's too resource hungry. Maybe the WASABI tech can be used in other areas of the industry other than Winamp...
so im getting really REALLY tired of people saying that "wasabi is bloated" or "winamp3 is bloated"... without actually understanding the internal workings of this application.

would you cliam that unreal tournament 2003 is bloated? it takes 3 CDs instead of 1 like the original UT. it takes a hell of alot beafier system too... but does this instantly mean its BLOATED ??? no!

this mearly means that there is higher quality visuals, and the internal core has support for alot more fexibility. in the case of the newer versions of "Unreal Warefare" (wich Unreal2 and UT2k3 was based off of), they have support for higher details models and worlds, and a new phisics engine, along with higher quality textures and the core can support more mods to it.

but, what about this whole "Winamp3" thing? well, the rendering engine isnt some simplisic bitmap replacing system. everyone knows that Winamp2 skins all have the exact same interface, but are mearly bitmaps that change. in Winamp3, or, Wasabi, its a completely dynamic interface that doesnt use just BMP files. in fact, most people use PNG files. these new images that everyone uses are 2-10 times the pixel size of the bitmaps in WA2. and from there, there is usualy MORE images, and there are more things that need them now, such as check boxes, drop down lists, multiple sytles of backgrounds, and various other things like this.

next comes the actual code interface. WA2 is more of a HACK then a plugin system. it mearly abuses a feature in windows, thats it. its not very extensive as compared to the full flexibility of Wasabi. anyone that knows anything about C++ could get ahold of the SDK and see this.

alot of people think that "wasabi" is the skinning engine... XML pasrer... MAKI... or some other thing like that... well, im here to set things right. how many people have made skins w/o the use of the Wasabi SDK, and yet still use MAKI, XML, and various other things of this nature? Wasabi is the C++ code base behind the prettie GUIs that you all see.

and something else to laugh at. everyone seems to think that there will be no resource increase once the freeform skinning engine is dumped into WA2, but thats not true. it still needs to parse that XML, and run that MAKI code, and decompress those PNG file, and run those components that are built into the core itself.

so in the end, its just the same. if you want the features, you will pay the price. nuf said.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 15th July 2003, 06:31   #21
Kneebracehead

Send a message via ICQ to Kneebracehead Send a message via AIM to Kneebracehead Send a message via Yahoo to Kneebracehead
AMEN , i mean honestly , ive been waiting for this rant for a LOONG time , wa3 trash talkers should be forwarded to this on a daily basis
Old 15th July 2003, 07:18   #22
laz
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to laz
right on Darkain. I love Winamp 3 b/ it is differnt. I did feel somewhat raped when they shed Winamp3 of all its good components when they where getting it ready for public release, bad move. And i dont think they should just dump the freeform skins ont Wa2, it wasnt made to do that, and that will be a real system hog. Think of WinME when you think of this winamp 5 or whatever. And Winamp 3 as like windows NT/2000.
I love Winamp 3, it is fast enough. I just wish I could get build 664 or was it 644 or whatnot, basicly beta 3. WHERE CAN I GET IT AGAIN?!

I am using the newest beta build 499 as my main media player. I love it.
Old 15th July 2003, 08:53   #23
Mr_007
Banned

NO
Hate of wa3!
Old 15th July 2003, 13:55   #24
ctkatz8086

i use wa3 as an alarm mainly because (not ass kissing) it's the only program that uses the rm-x the way i want it to. and the fact that i don't have to re-load my playlists when my alarm goes off.

Old 15th July 2003, 16:00   #25
Cage-Kyrra

First off, I gotta say Right ON to Darkain.

I use both WA3 and 2.91. Here at work I use 2.91 cause I am working on a P2-266MHz machine. But at home I have a high end gaming system, and it I notice no performance issues when running Winamp and doing webbrowsing or programming at home. WA3 rocks in my opinion, its just not right for everyone.
Old 16th July 2003, 03:24   #26
fionandean

Send a message via ICQ to fionandean
Thank you Darkain - I don't know what ppl are talking about saying W3 is "bloated" and a "resource hog". Lets be objective here! So, W3 is slower to start than W2.x - it also has a whole lot more features and personally, I love those features and would happy to have more for a similar trade off. I don't see how creating a system with more functions is bloating when ppl actually find them usefull - and it seems that I am far from being the only one who does. And how about making fair comparisons guys! W3 is far more comparable to MMJB in terms of the no of functions it performs, how well it does them and is certainly no slower (in fact, I find it a bit faster). I don't hear ppl talking about mmjb being bloated and a system hog - in fact! they pay money for it!!! And incidentally, I find mmjb (and media player for that matter) slower, more prone to crashing and more of a drain on the system than W3. (I only use mmjb for tagging -and would boot it like a shot if winamp did the same thing). I do not have a very modern system either and am currently running an e-mail program and listening to my music without any probs while doing this. Come on people! if you want something small and light that will just play music, that's fine, but why are some ppl so down on W3 for providing others of us with what we want?
Old 16th July 2003, 12:58   #27
PJay Tycy

I use WA2 when I just want to listen to random songs in my huge playlist.

I use WA3 when I want to choose myself which songs should be next and on parties and so. It's great for parties: you can have the guests set the next songs without stopping the current. If this "enqueue/dequeue" feature ever gets in wa2.x I don't have any reason to use WA3
Old 17th July 2003, 17:39   #28
shaolin_sword36

I don't use either Winamp 2 or Winamp 3 anymore...too many problems, slowest start up times and the GUI is too graphic intensive and memory intensive. i like to be as minimalistic so i got foobar 2000. no bs text interface, with all the sampling and equalizer functions tucked away into the options.
Old 18th July 2003, 04:16   #29
corkhead0
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkain
remember, winamp3 is nothing. it doesnt actually exist.
Neither does the spoon 0_o
Old 18th July 2003, 13:13   #30
Irrelevant

I'm confused.

Surely v3 of a program is newer than v2?

Yeah, I'm using WA3. But then, I thought it was newer...
Old 18th July 2003, 13:43   #31
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No, the product name is Winamp3, not Winamp v3
Winamp 2.81, 2.90 and 2.91 were all released after Winamp3 v1.0 (public release build 488), therefore Winamp 2.91 is newer than Winamp3 v1.0.

Winamp 5 will be built on the Winamp 2.x win32 engine, not on the Winamp3 wasabi engine, though wasabi code for freeform skin and script support will be ported over....

Winamp3 is a separate product/application.
Unlike Winamp3, Winamp 5 will upgrade and overwite Winamp 2.x

To respond to the original question, I'm a Winamp freak.
I've got the following installed:
Winamp 2.91
Winamp 2.95 beta
Winamp3 v1.0 build 488
Winamp3 dev builds #491 | #495 | #499

I just can't get enough, lol

My main player is currently 2.95 beta with preliminary Winamp 5 freeform skin support (alpha).
Old 19th July 2003, 22:43   #32
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

I have been using winamp 3 but after about 1 year of using it i have finialy got sick of it crashing every 5 min.. I have been starting to use winamp 2.91 but there is something in winamp 3 that makes me just exiting winamp 2.91 and opening winamp 3.
Old 19th July 2003, 23:05   #33
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

im using both, recently i've started using 2.91 alot more than wa3.....

if only they would release a dev version, without all those weird bugs
Old 19th July 2003, 23:38   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I think they put those weird bugs in on purpose, lol.

eg. DirectSound Device not available.
That one pisses me off more than any other....
Old 21st July 2003, 04:15   #35
The Popsicle

I use wa3
Old 22nd July 2003, 04:55   #36
lunarboy1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
My main player is currently 2.95 beta with preliminary Winamp 5 freeform skin support (alpha).
lol
Old 25th July 2003, 02:30   #37
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

i love the factthat people are thinking freeform skining is going to be faster in winamp5... i just think its funny that people think just because its based on winamp2 its going to be faster.... wa3 and wa5 will have the EXACT same skin engine... so... skin loading times will be around about EXACTLY the same
Old 25th July 2003, 02:37   #38
Darkain
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizzy D.
i love the factthat people are thinking freeform skining is going to be faster in winamp5... i just think its funny that people think just because its based on winamp2 its going to be faster.... wa3 and wa5 will have the EXACT same skin engine... so... skin loading times will be around about EXACTLY the same
actually, itll be slower in WA5 in theory, because it has to pass thru a few extra layers of code. not only does it have to proccess the WA3 skinning, but, the WA2 skinning is still there, so its doing both at once... making it slower. plus general things like callback messages that ARENT generated in WA2, so a hack has to be worked up to make those work in WA3 style skins. and yea... it just gets worse and worse.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 25th July 2003, 03:47   #39
Falcon4
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon4
WA2. I hate the fact that they put more priority into SKINNING than playing MP3s. Hell, I hate that they even put video support in WA2. They yanked out all the custom options for output plugins, input plugins (I liked the idea of a I/O chain: Input decoder -> DSP -> Output device), and replaced them all with: Thinger. *bleeuh*

Oh well, 2.95 for me, WA3 for the newbies who don't need the extra configurable options, hi-qual DSPs and plugins, and all the nice loading speed of WA2. That's just my opinion though, don't try to change it
Old 26th July 2003, 01:34   #40
ProneaX

Send a message via AIM to ProneaX
winamp 3 rocks!

It's been my default player for a long time now. The interface is much better, I can't live without my explorer playlists!

I see a possibility of my using winamp 5 (or whatever) if i can use a certain winamp 3 skin and i like the media organization.

But winamp 3 rocks I can't wait until it is under primary development again

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion