Old 9th August 2002, 23:19   #1
isometry

Exclamation GDI Resource Usage

I've been running the betas for a little while, since 482, and I've just installed the final build of Winamp3.
My initial impression: it's massively bloated, and I can't see a good reason why

Windows reports that the default Winamp3 window configuration uses 2,160 GDI Objects on my twin Athlon, 1GB RAM workstation. Close all but the main window... 1,946. I mean seriously, what's going on here? Winamp 2.80 uses a whopping 107. Yup, that's right, 1/20th of the GDI resources. WMP with default skin only uses 361 for crying out load. Photoshop 7: 242. Winamp3 takes over twice the GDI resources of ANY other program on my system.

OK, so your tired of me blurting out numbers. "So what?" you think. Here's what: Windows has a hardcoded limit of ~7920 concurrent GDI Objects. Once you reach that limit (as I do on a very regular basis) it cannot draw ANYTHING new. That means you can't open pull down menus. You can't open any more apps. You can't do squat aside from close apps. You can't even open Task Manager to close crashed programs

Now, in my view the real problem here is with Windows, as it's a hardcoded limit, totally independent of hardware... but this isn't going to change anytime soon. Winamp3 had plans of going somewhere. I certainly won't be running it while it wants to account for a quarter of my potential open applications. Music is there to boost my productivity, not kill it

The FAQ mentions that it'll use "more system resources". Switching to "Classic" Skin lowers the resource usage to 907. Whoop-de-do. Still more than ANY other app on my system, and ~9x that of Winamp2. I couldn't care less about Memory Usage, or indeed (realistic) CPU usage. But I don't want it hogging that beautiful multi-tasking resource space when I've NO WAY of "sizing up".

Just right clicking on the main window throws away an additional 44 GDI Objects. Any sane app uses at most 8 to draw a menu that simple, more usually just _1_.

Further, minimising makes NO DIFFERENCE. I might not object quite so much if it freed the resources when you minimised - set your playlist up in the pretty new GUI, set it going, minimise, and you're sot. But no, it just hides the window...

Blah, blah and blah. Get it together, stop wasteing peoples resources

isometry

Last edited by isometry; 9th August 2002 at 23:42.
Old 10th August 2002, 02:39   #2
isometry

Thought I'd follow up on this, as my knowledge has expanded

Quote:
Now, in my view the real problem here is with Windows, as it's a hardcoded limit, totally independent of hardware...
I lied But it's certainly not something that's very well documented. By default there's a 3MB heap for such things... of which Winamp3 is happy to eat an unhealthy portion.

However, as outlined here (http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q126962) it is possible to increase Desktop Application Heap size, thus increasing the maximal number of potential open windows.

I've tested with SharedSection=1024,8192,512 and I've managed to open 33 instances of Winamp3 concurrently. (Number 34 made 14 instances crash and burn - somewhat randomly).

I stand by my original statement though, for the average user who doesn't know his heap from a hole in the ground, Winamp3s GDI resource usage is absurd. Maybe 10% of the users who even read this thread will apply the "fix" (if you can call it that). And the majority of the public that download and install will be none the wiser as to why they can no longer control their computer with 3/4 as many windows open as before.

/rant.

isometry
Old 10th August 2002, 08:47   #3
FransUNC

This sounds extremely serious. I think before any extra features are added to Winamp3, Nullsoft and the entire Winamp community should devote it's time to cleaning up code and freeing resources. Winamp3 is here, it's a wonderful program already, and the potential for it is endless...but it needs to get off on the right foot.
Old 14th August 2002, 00:26   #4
isometry

Wow, no one cares that Winamp3 is accounting for a quarter of their potential windows, independent of hardware. Oh well.
Old 14th August 2002, 00:40   #5
nothin2g

Location: Zeil, wo der Wein wächst und gesoffen wird wie Wasser ;) Ohweeeehhhh... Posts: overflowed
7 winamp with media library open and all studio.exe crashed.
Old 23rd October 2002, 21:44   #6
theboyjenkins

has this been acknowledged as a known bug? its definately a problem, its so easy to make things crash, you can make winamp3 use 10,000 gdi objects easily (just open all the standard component windows, plus a couple of extra playlists), thats not right...

-J
Old 23rd October 2002, 22:09   #7
isometry

Nobody's acknowledged it as far as I'm aware.

-- isometry
Old 23rd October 2002, 23:38   #8
Francis
French Admin

Acknowledging.

A lot of work [http://www.bluemars.org/regions.png] has been spent on minimizing resources, we hope the next release will be more to your taste.

Francis.

Bluemars - Music For The Space Traveller
Old 23rd October 2002, 23:44   #9
isometry

Well done
Old 24th October 2002, 06:19   #10
theboyjenkins

great stuff...

-J
Old 25th October 2002, 11:39   #11
nothin2g

Location: Zeil, wo der Wein wächst und gesoffen wird wie Wasser ;) Ohweeeehhhh... Posts: overflowed
nais

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Bug Reports