Old 17th March 2003, 08:58   #1
GQ29

'bout the survey....

Nice idea, but I think it's really f*cked up if AOL tries to find out where Winamp/Winamp3 users get their mp3-files from, how many CDs they rip a month and how much mp3s they own. Very little of the questions are really useful for the development team if they wanna enchance Winamp (or Winamp3).
To me AOL is the worst thing that could ever happen to Winamp/Winamp3. Looking forward to any new Version of Winamp/Winamp3 (get the time you need for it, I am patient).

Greetings to all.

GQ29
GQ29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2003, 09:37   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

?
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2003, 10:27   #3
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
maybe it's to do with some cd-ripping component, if a lot of people rip cd's, then they might make a ripper, if a lot of people download music, maybe they will make a file sharing app.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2003, 10:35   #4
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

If it worries you, don't take part in the survey, it's not as if "the man" is gonna come around and knock on your door because you took part in some online survey and you admited to ripping a couple of CD's now is it?

Moving this to the bitchlist, has little or nothing to do with general WA3 discussion.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2003, 10:37   #5
GQ29

I didn't take part... It's just the idea that annoys me, whether I rip CDs or not.
The point is: This is no survey that helps to develop Winamp/Winamp3. Most of the question are simply not about Winamp/Winamp3, its features or its bugs. That's the fact that annoyed me.

GQ29
Old 17th March 2003, 10:39   #6
binary hero
Banned

they never said it was about winamp/winamp3. it's about nullsoft, the company that make winamp/winamp3.
Old 17th March 2003, 10:47   #7
GQ29

Ok, sorry.... but:
What is Nullsoft's interest in finding out how much CDs are ripped by their users, if they use filesharing software, how often they use it, .....?

GQ29
Old 17th March 2003, 11:03   #8
binary hero
Banned

because NULLSOFT MAY WANT TO MAKE SOME CD-RIPPING OR FILE SHARING SOFTWARE. THEY NEED TO KNOW WHICH PEOPLE USE MORE TO DECIDE WHICH ONE TO MAKE.

understand now?
Old 17th March 2003, 12:05   #9
GQ29

Begin to understand.... it's still pretty much questions to me for finding out such a simple thing.
Whatever. I like Winamp. And I am not forced to join the survey.

Sorry for the flaming.

GQ29
Old 17th March 2003, 14:50   #10
cybaix

Send a message via ICQ to cybaix Send a message via AIM to cybaix Send a message via Yahoo to cybaix
Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero
because NULLSOFT MAY WANT TO MAKE SOME CD-RIPPING OR FILE SHARING SOFTWARE. THEY NEED TO KNOW WHICH PEOPLE USE MORE TO DECIDE WHICH ONE TO MAKE.

understand now?
I seriously doubt this is the reason.. nullsolft would never make a filesharing app, or would never be allowed to by aol for legality reasons.
cybaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2003, 17:00   #11
theboyjenkins

heh, someone doesn't know their nullsoft history, justin, tom, et al created gnutella the mother of all peer-to-peer apps. ok it got pulled almost immediately buy AOL but well the rest is history...

"...ambience?, I AM ambience"
theboyjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2003, 20:21   #12
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

File sharing doesn't have to be illegal. There are whole communities built around the sharing of legal files, recorded concerts which have been placed in the public domain by their bands, for one instance.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2003, 03:23   #13
cybaix

Send a message via ICQ to cybaix Send a message via AIM to cybaix Send a message via Yahoo to cybaix
Quote:
Originally posted by theboyjenkins
heh, someone doesn't know their nullsoft history, justin, tom, et al created gnutella the mother of all peer-to-peer apps. ok it got pulled almost immediately buy AOL but well the rest is history...
I'm talking about current nullsoft, not pre-aol. Which proves my point that they would never make a filesharing app. Sure there are legal ones but, thats hard to enforce some times.
cybaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2003, 13:18   #14
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

http://netserver.cerc.wvu.edu/classe...a/gnutella.doc
Quote:
Gnutella was originally designed by Nullsoft, a subsidiary of AOL. Nullsoft's development of the Gnutella protocol was halted by AOL management shortly after the protocol was made available to the public. Gnutella was only up on the Nullsoft servers for a few hours before it was taken down, but during that time several thousand downloads occurred. Using those downloads, programmers reverse-engineered the software and created their own Gnutella software packages.
I know this is correct because I was one of the lucky people to be able to download an original Gnutella client. They actually made a few revisions over a couple days and it was only the last one that was up for a few hours that got the plug pulled on it...it was also the first really usable one. Nullsoft was owned by AOL by the time Gnutella was developed. There are still untapped legal P2P applications to be made, ones that could even be profitable to the developers. Don't discount P2P because you think what they develop will act like Napster or any other P2P program either, you might just be surprised.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2003, 15:46   #15
Digitalhigh

Quote:
Don't discount P2P because you think what they develop will act like Napster or any other P2P program either, you might just be surprised.
For sure. As long as there's hackers, we should almost always be able to expect such lovely developments as Klite. And Klite (i hope) is just the beginning. We need a p2p app that doesn't rely on any central server, so that once distributed, it becomes unstoppable. (Tell me this exists already)

And really, having AOHell know about my downloading/ripping numbers doesn't bother me that much. If they wanna come to my door and bitch about it, they've got a long wait ahead of them, because I don't answer the doorbell.

On the other hand, if me telling them that I've got 5,000+ songs on my machine but I haven't bought a CD in two years will get them to make a CD burning component sooner, then I'm all for a little bit of show-n-tell with big brother.
Digitalhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist