Old 14th November 2002, 17:22   #1
musicmusic

#491 out

Build 491 is out.. Grab it at

http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/...l_build491.exe
Old 14th November 2002, 19:08   #2
nothin2g

Location: Zeil, wo der Wein wächst und gesoffen wird wie Wasser ;) Ohweeeehhhh... Posts: overflowed
iyeaah
Old 14th November 2002, 19:18   #3
nothin2g

Location: Zeil, wo der Wein wächst und gesoffen wird wie Wasser ;) Ohweeeehhhh... Posts: overflowed
strange build, but very fast
nice work
Old 14th November 2002, 20:14   #4
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
mmm... tabbing...
mmm... annoying crash bug that effected RM-X fixed...

anyway, great speed. it does indeed load and run faster.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 14th November 2002, 20:20   #5
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Odd that the infoeditor is back to a more 488-like look than 490's. But it looks and feels like they're prioritizing fixing what's most broken, then adding little features where they can.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 14th November 2002, 20:24   #6
monkey_22

Send a message via AIM to monkey_22
When I click on the link it just says-
Not Found
The requested URL /winamp/client/wa3install_build491.exe was not found on this server

WHAT SHOULD I DO??????
Old 14th November 2002, 20:28   #7
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Wow. God knows what that's doing there. It was only released internally yesterday.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 14th November 2002, 20:51   #8
monkey_22

Send a message via AIM to monkey_22
YEAH IT WORKS NOW!!!!!!!!
Old 14th November 2002, 21:06   #9
jarsonic
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jarsonic
Aus put it up last night. I believe he put up some new Beta News, too.

- `Jarsonic

do justly | love mercy | walk humbly
Old 14th November 2002, 21:12   #10
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

http://genghis.winamp.com/~aus/wa3/b...002-11-14.html

It'll be on betanews later today/night. I was just surprised that this build got released at all, let alone so soon, considering the last one took a month .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 14th November 2002, 21:47   #11
lunarboy1
Forum King

damnit! link doesn't work... anybody wanna be a friend?
Old 14th November 2002, 22:14   #12
Electronic Punk

Send a message via ICQ to Electronic Punk Send a message via AIM to Electronic Punk Send a message via Yahoo to Electronic Punk
Hmm, program files\wasabi ?
Old 14th November 2002, 22:22   #13
lunarboy1
Forum King

what??? its not on my computer dude

ARG I CAN'T DL IT!
Old 14th November 2002, 22:23   #14
musicmusic

link works fine, great build, nice to see them working on little things such as export to html etc., honestly this is very stable compared to 490, even 488, quicker to load too.
Old 14th November 2002, 22:30   #15
lunarboy1
Forum King

YES IT WORKS!
Old 14th November 2002, 22:33   #16
Electronic Punk

Send a message via ICQ to Electronic Punk Send a message via AIM to Electronic Punk Send a message via Yahoo to Electronic Punk
ok, I know this is a semi-public build but I can definatly not recommend this build over 490:

Errors for

Audio -> Directsound
Audio -> waveout
Audio -> CD playback

Puts files in both /Winamp3 and /Wasabi as well as a file in Program Files

Gracenote support is not included.

Crashes when closing

Crashes anyway

And of course if it crashes, any changes you have made to the preferences are not saved.

Wasn't a rant, really respect nullsoft and winamp3 rocks, this is the first build since it went beta I have found to be unstable.
Old 14th November 2002, 22:35   #17
lunarboy1
Forum King

yea.. i wonder what the seperate wasabi folder is for.. :-/
Old 14th November 2002, 22:37   #18
musicmusic

i think most the wacs etc goes there now. Seems very systematic now..
Old 14th November 2002, 22:41   #19
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Read Aus' betanews. They're moving non-Winamp specific code into programfiles/wasabi , so that other applications can be written to take advantage of wasabi code without need the Winamp3 app itself. The file in programfiles itself isn't right though.

I haven't had a crash yet, did you install this over an older build?

CD lookups also work for me on 490, by Gracenote support, are you talking about the non-cd music recognition stuff? I don't know if that's working or not and can't test it now.

Use the config registry for the components that have script errors in preferences for now.

Overall, I think I can use this as my primary player. I'm having less issues with it than 488 or 490 (definitely less than 490) and it has fixes for several things that bugged me personally (add-ons/skinmods doesn't show your scripts xml in it's preview window anymore).

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
Old 14th November 2002, 22:50   #20
musicmusic

Quote:
Originally posted by Electronic Punk
ok, I know this is a semi-public build but I can definatly not recommend this build over 490:

Errors for

Audio -> Directsound
Audio -> waveout
Audio -> CD playback

Puts files in both /Winamp3 and /Wasabi as well as a file in Program Files
yeh the paths seem to be diubled up are something so it cant find them, seems to be pp's plugins.. very minor really, just use config reg instead, I wouldn't say it makes it unstable.

It also effects some of the 'hidden' ones on directsound, click ds on the left pane and press right.

Quote:
Gracenote support is not included.

Crashes when closing

Crashes anyway

And of course if it crashes, any changes you have made to the preferences are not saved.

Wasn't a rant, really respect nullsoft and winamp3 rocks, this is the first build since it went beta I have found to be unstable.
You found 490 stable? Anyway, don't just uninstall first, but clear out winamp3 folder as a lot of junk gets left behind. No crashs here whatsoever, except the prefs script error.
Old 14th November 2002, 23:27   #21
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
things seem to be a HELL of alot more stable for me with this build. the only error i encounter is that script error, but that is known and thats only because things are being moved around. my components, too, had issues with not being able to load XML files because of the way things are being moved around and how paths are being updated.

and as for uninstalling old winamps and installing new ones... there is a simple solution... just dump each in a unique folder anyways. i always installed to a folder named based off of the build number. this works well, plus its nice to debuggings things, cause then you can test for bugs on previous builds to see what all had what problems.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 14th November 2002, 23:39   #22
peter
ist death

script error fix (at least for all my xmls): http://www.blorp.com/~peter/temp/wasabi.player.zip - i hope you know where to put these files.
Old 14th November 2002, 23:50   #23
musicmusic

thank you
Old 14th November 2002, 23:54   #24
lunarboy1
Forum King

What helps stop crashing significantly if you are expieriencing it a lot: Delete the Winamp3\wacs folder. That atleast allowed my winamp to start up and not have common.dll probs.

This one makes wa3.0b look like an early beta release
Old 15th November 2002, 00:18   #25
lunarboy1
Forum King

I figured out why the Program Files\Wasabi folder exists!

Its because when most people installed they had the "Multi-user support" doohickey checked which throws all the wacs into a seperate folder so there aren't a billion versions of the required wacs on your computer if you have many users. Know what i mean?
Old 15th November 2002, 00:20   #26
Darkain
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by lunarboy1
I figured out why the Program Files\Wasabi folder exists!

Its because when most people installed they had the "Multi-user support" doohickey checked which throws all the wacs into a seperate folder so there aren't a billion versions of the required wacs on your computer if you have many users. Know what i mean?
sooo.. what does this mean for component coders? should we still be sticking our WAC files in the wa3\wacs folder? or should we start using the NEW folder?

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 15th November 2002, 00:34   #27
lunarboy1
Forum King

hahah i have no damn clue
Old 15th November 2002, 00:41   #28
Electronic Punk

Sounding like something called Wasabi will be released then you will download plugins, one of these will be called wasabi player, which is the future of Winamp3

As for gracenote, I see breifly a message saying CDDB is not installed.

490 was very stable for me, and 491 is a little more stable now.
Old 15th November 2002, 00:44   #29
Electronic Punk

Thanks Peter, that has fixed those 2 errors!
Old 15th November 2002, 01:11   #30
MarinerMan95

Send a message via ICQ to MarinerMan95 Send a message via AIM to MarinerMan95 Send a message via Yahoo to MarinerMan95
Nice

build 491 is nice. 490 I noticed was a bit faster, but had stability problems... but this is a lot faster and seems stable so far. No crashes yet. I like how the equalizer is a lot more responsive now. keep up the good work Nullsoft
Old 15th November 2002, 01:26   #31
vapsterzz

Vorbis, oh, our little Vorbis

Although those track number things etc are fixed in this new version, I still think Winamp +2.80's vorbis file / stream info was a lot better, it showed you all the file information (like Winamp 3 shows with MPEG files!), like: track length, bitrate information, channels, sampling rate. Although you can actually see most of those informations in Winamp's fron panel, I still liked to see them on the file info section too.
Old 15th November 2002, 01:36   #32
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Liking it so far..
I am a bit surprised though that they replaced the 490 Info Editor with the 488 version...
Hope they did that for the time beeing only..

Tabbed inteface rules, love it!
Haven't checked everything out yet though..

But so far, it's stable and fast, much faster than previous versions..

-Plague
Old 15th November 2002, 02:10   #33
evil_oj

the "Add to Library" button in the media library seems to be broken a bit. It's like a button instead of a dropdown menu. Looks like their focusing on optimizing Winamp3. For me, Winamp3 build 491 loads almost as fast as Winamp2. Maybe like a 100ms less.
Incredible!

<edit> Now that I look at it, it appears that the Add to Library function is completely broken. Anyone else have this?

And whoa, the CPU usage is way high, playing a simple mp3 with winamp3 basically idling and minimized, i had 98% CPU on winamp3.exe

After restarting Winamp, i tried the same thing and it the CPU usage seemed to stay around 02 then spike every 2 or so seconds up to about 15.

i'm using an AMD Duron 1ghz
Old 15th November 2002, 02:22   #34
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

No high cpu usage here. Actually looks to be the lowest of all the Winamp3 builds I've checked cpu usage for (I skipped the ones that were obviously sluggish beyond question ). Are you in the default skin, and what other details can you give?

As for me:
Inspiron 8100
512 Mb Ram
1.3Ghz PIIIm cpu
Nvidia GeForce2 Go (Mobile Geforce2, specialized drivers fom Dell, not the reference drivers, oh How I wish I could run the reference drivers!)
Ess Maestro SoundCard
DirectSound Output
Xp Home Edition
Default Skin, No 3rd party components, No EQ

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
Old 15th November 2002, 02:47   #35
Tomato Face

Send a message via ICQ to Tomato Face
Wow, I find it much better then the build 488, and much better than 490. No more crashing on evit with the DMP beta skin, which makes me VERY happy! Kepp it up Nullsoft, I love you!!

Old King Cole was a merry old soul.
Old 15th November 2002, 03:04   #36
evil_oj

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzotek
...what other details can you give?
192 Mb SDR Ram
1Ghz Duron CPU
GeForce 2 Ti, latest drivers
Avance ALS4000 Soundcard
DirectSound Output
Xp Pro Edition
Default Skin, No 3rd party components, No EQ

Clean install.
Old 15th November 2002, 03:37   #37
SNYder
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlague
Tabbed inteface rules, love it!
Haven't checked everything out yet though..
What is this tabbed interface everyone is talking about? I'm not seeing any tabs. All I see different is this annoying white outline that highlights any sector of a window I click on. That can't be what you are all raving about, is it?
Old 15th November 2002, 03:42   #38
OCedHrt

Hrm, i ilke 491 much better than 490, since its also more stable for me. About the 2 script errors in prefs..i didn't read the forums first so just opened the xml files and changed the script location..eh might be a violation of terms..but anyways, since utf8 didn't come in this build, i copied it over from build 490 and got it to work, but i can't get the options for it to come out in preferences, is there a way to work around this?
Old 15th November 2002, 03:46   #39
OCedHrt

uhh, nvm, i got that to work finally by opening the wac file and finding out where to put the xml =P
Old 15th November 2002, 04:29   #40
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by SNYder
What is this tabbed interface everyone is talking about? I'm not seeing any tabs. All I see different is this annoying white outline that highlights any sector of a window I click on. That can't be what you are all raving about, is it?
The white line is the currently active control. Hit tab to move to the next one. Use the Info Editor to see why it's actually a very important thing. Maybe there should be a preference as to whether or not to show the white line or even use tabbing at all?

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion