Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:12   #1
friuns
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Winamp 5.6 * New: Option to write ratings to tags (for mp3, wma/wmv, ogg & flac)

in Version History vor Winamp 5.6
* New: Option to write ratings to tags (for mp3, wma/wmv, ogg & flac)

where is this feature?
friuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 01:15   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,376
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
prefs > ML

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:11   #3
PolarisTLX
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
OM EFFING GOD I've been trying to figure out how to do this for a LONG time!

Thank you very much to the people who created this option. Now I get to keep my beloved skins and be able to unify my song lists and ratings across multiple PC's.

THIS is what is going to allow me to keep my beloved Winamp as my regular media player for years to come. I was on the verge of despair that I would have to give it up and migrate to WMP.

Suggestion: This really should be advertised more or made more obvious as an option for other users benefit.

Again thank you soooooo much!
PolarisTLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 21:24   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,376
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i hope ALL the Devs read the above, couldn't agree more.


PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 23:44   #5
Itaebro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Sorry to revive this thread, but I can't find that setting for the life of me. I read the winamp preferences guide and spent a couple hours on google, but keep coming up blank. I'm running v5.63 so it should be there, unless they removed it for some reason. I feel like I had this feature enabled before I re-imaged my laptop a while back because half my music library has ratings in the file, and I've been using winamp exclusively since I ripped them off cd years ago. Thanks, and I apologize in advance in case this setting turns out to be blindingly obvious.
Itaebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 00:03   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,817
It's under: Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Media Library > Library Options tab:
Save ratings to file for compatible formats (default: off)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 01:16   #7
Itaebro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Wow, thank you so much. I can't believe that I missed that.
Itaebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 10:20   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,376
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i am still so thankful Benski and the devs put this in, i might have had to go to fb2k or something i don't really like otherwise. and i'm also glad my feedback was heard so the data structure was compatible with de facto standards.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015, 20:10   #9
clooz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
THANK YOU! I can almost completely use Winamp now. Made the switch from iTunes to MediaMonkey to Winamp (mostly because syncing works better for me).
clooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015, 22:18   #10
jseaman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
Great feature that I never knew about - even after using Winamp for over 15 years! But I would appreciate a bit more info on how to use it.

Do I need to go to every one of my tracks and get winamp to save the id3 info again? Or is there a quick way to make it save the ratings for some 10,000 tracks?
jseaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 03:19   #11
wernerml
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaman View Post
Do I need to save the id3 info again?
Just Add all your (rated) songs to the Play List, then:

1. Select All (Ctrl + A)
2. Right click
3. Rate items -> No Rating (remove the ratings)
then:
5. Right click
6. Rate items -> ***** (re-apply rating)
(now Wait.... it may take a while, depending on how many songs...)

Done!
(ratings are now saved/embedded within the .mp3 file)
wernerml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 10:24   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,376
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaman View Post
Great feature that I never knew about - even after using Winamp for over 15 years! But I would appreciate a bit more info on how to use it.

Do I need to go to every one of my tracks and get winamp to save the id3 info again? Or is there a quick way to make it save the ratings for some 10,000 tracks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernerml View Post
Just Add all your (rated) songs to the Play List, then:

1. Select All (Ctrl + A)
2. Right click
3. Rate items -> No Rating (remove the ratings)
then:
5. Right click
6. Rate items -> ***** (re-apply rating)
(now Wait.... it may take a while, depending on how many songs...)

Done!
(ratings are now saved/embedded within the .mp3 file)
make sure you turn on the feature in prefs first, b/c by default it is NOT on, (which imo is a mistake).

AFTER you turn it on in prefs, then "rerate" all your files by sorting the ratings column, (in the ML) and highlighting each star value using the shift key.

if that's confusing to you, what I mean is you highlight all the 5 star stuff by clicking the 5 star top file, holding shift, scrolling to the last 5 star file, clicking it, release shift, and rerate (via right click) the now highlighted 5 star files. do that for each star value.

you do not need to remove any ratings, you just reapply the current value already displayed and already in the DB/ML.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 12:31   #13
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator
 
Victhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
..AFTER you turn it on in prefs, then "rerate" all your files by sorting the ratings column, (in the ML) and highlighting each star value using the shift key.

if that's confusing to you, what I mean is you highlight all the 5 star stuff by clicking the 5 star top file, holding shift, scrolling to the last 5 star file, clicking it, release shift, and rerate (via right click) the now highlighted 5 star files. do that for each star value.

you do not need to remove any ratings, you just reapply the current value already displayed and already in the DB/ML.
Kudos, definitively the best way.

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 20:49   #14
jseaman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
make sure you turn on the feature in prefs first, b/c by default it is NOT on, (which imo is a mistake).

AFTER you turn it on in prefs, then "rerate" all your files by sorting the ratings column, (in the ML) and highlighting each star value using the shift key.

if that's confusing to you, what I mean is you highlight all the 5 star stuff by clicking the 5 star top file, holding shift, scrolling to the last 5 star file, clicking it, release shift, and rerate (via right click) the now highlighted 5 star files. do that for each star value.

you do not need to remove any ratings, you just reapply the current value already displayed and already in the DB/ML.
Thanks!
jseaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 16:36   #15
No One
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
How does WinAmp store FLAC ratings?

I'm asking because I generally use mp3tag to rate my music (access to more tags). WinAmp recognizes the mp3 ratings I assign with mp3tag, but can't seem to find the FLAC ratings. If I assign a FLAC rating with WinAmp, then mp3tag shows the rating. Is it supposed to do that?

Mark
No One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 16:39   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,376
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
mp3 uses id3v2.x to store ratings, specifically the POPM frame. usually, mp3tag only shows u 1-5 for that, but the real values (and string) are different, using 0-255.

FLACs use Vorbis for tags, and afaik, winamp and mp3tag both use RATING as the field for that. the values written are usually 20,40,60,80,100 but again show as 1-5.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345521

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#ID...ting_tag_issue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis_comment

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 18:20   #17
ryerman
Major Dude
 
ryerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by No One View Post
I'm asking because I generally use mp3tag to rate my music (access to more tags). WinAmp recognizes the mp3 ratings I assign with mp3tag, but can't seem to find the FLAC ratings...
Mark
Mp3tag manipulates the ratings created in various applications to create its own internal "psuedo-tags".
It is possible to create user defined mappings in Mp3tag for FLAC, MP3, WMA, M4A (maybe others, for all I know) that allow whatever rating is written in Mp3tag to be read by Winamp and vice versa.

Attached is the mapping I use.
As you can see, I've mapped Mp3tag's rating "psuedo-tags" to POPULARIMETER.
Now I can use %popularimeter% in Mp3tag and not worry about which file type is being read. Mp3tag now looks after the mapping.

Writing ratings in Mp3tag is a little trickier because Winamp expects different rating values depending on file type, as MrSinatra has explained.
If I use Mp3tag to write ratings for use in Winamp, I use the 1-5 scale for MP3 and WMA and the 20,40,60,80,100 scale for FLAC and M4A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mp3tag rating mapping for Winamp.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	52075  

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 20:56   #18
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
...

If I use Mp3tag to write ratings for use in Winamp, I use the 1-5 scale for MP3 and WMA ...
There was a lengthy forum discussion a while ago about how Winamp would convert the 0 to 255 values to 1 to 5 stars and the reverse. It was mainly about the cutoff points from 1 star level to the next. If I remember correctly, the decision was made to use a formula rather than a look-up table. I don't remember how Winamp was to decide if the 1-5 or 0-255 scale was being used when reading a file it didn't write the rating for. Do you know?

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 22:03   #19
ryerman
Major Dude
 
ryerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 630
Nope.

I merely adapt to whatever Mp3tag and Winamp does.
After establishing the mapping in Mp3tag, I simply rated various file types in Winamp and observed the result in Mp3tag.
Now I know what value to enter in Mp3tag to produce the desired number of stars in Winamp.
In Mp3tag, using my mapping, I enter 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 for MP3 and WMA files, and that produces 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 stars in Winamp.
I can see how Mp3tag has converted my entered value by using Exiftool, but I really don't care anymore because I get what I want in Winamp.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 22:10   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,376
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
Mp3tag manipulates the ratings created in various applications to create its own internal "psuedo-tags".
It is possible to create user defined mappings in Mp3tag for FLAC, MP3, WMA, M4A (maybe others, for all I know) that allow whatever rating is written in Mp3tag to be read by Winamp and vice versa.

Attached is the mapping I use.
As you can see, I've mapped Mp3tag's rating "psuedo-tags" to POPULARIMETER.
Now I can use %popularimeter% in Mp3tag and not worry about which file type is being read. Mp3tag now looks after the mapping.
i'm curious as to why you do this...? is it b/c you want just one column for ratings regardless of the file type?

does it translate everything to a 1-5 star scale? or does it show real strings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
Writing ratings in Mp3tag is a little trickier because Winamp expects different rating values depending on file type, as MrSinatra has explained.
If I use Mp3tag to write ratings for use in Winamp, I use the 1-5 scale for MP3 and WMA and the 20,40,60,80,100 scale for FLAC and M4A.
just clarifying: you use 1-5 as your input value for mp3tag, but under the hood its writing POPM values 1-255, right?

just FYI, i have asked Florian to adjust mp3tag such that the "traditional" popularimeter column will show the true actual string, and not an interpretation of it, as the "rating winamp" column does. so far, no luck.

the workaround is to use an earlier version of mp3tag, and convert the email addy of winamps in the string, to anything other than the default, and then POPM (or more correctly, the 'popularimeter' column in mp3tag) will work normally. thats why i asked DrO to allow the user to specify that addy some time ago, and he put that in. (its in the in_mp3 config i think)

however, that breaks the "Rating winamp" in mp3tag functionality completely, and so i am hoping to still get Florian to honor my request, (and a second request would be an option for "Rating winamp" and other such similar columns to just ignore the email addy, and pay attention simply to the 0-255 values! its not actually necessary to match the email or string, to map the values to stars, per app)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
There was a lengthy forum discussion a while ago about how Winamp would convert the 0 to 255 values to 1 to 5 stars and the reverse. It was mainly about the cutoff points from 1 star level to the next. If I remember correctly, the decision was made to use a formula rather than a look-up table. I don't remember how Winamp was to decide if the 1-5 or 0-255 scale was being used when reading a file it didn't write the rating for. Do you know?
all that was debated but you have the conclusions wrong. there is no formula. ultimately, winamp DOES use a simple, straightforward table lookup to convert 0-255 to 0-5 stars. windows explorer was used as the guide for the cutoff points. interestingly, as described in my links (most of which i wrote), WMP has a slight, mostly inconsequential disagreement over one of the cutoff points, but that really doesn't matter.

i also got Media Monkey to use the same windows explorer scale. at this point, basically all apps that write ratings now read and write all values the same way, which is great b/c it means files are cross app compatible. only itunes refuses to read or write to tags.

whats infuriating to me is that mp3tag, if it recognizes the email addy (or whatever app string) used in POPM, will break the popularimeter column, and only allow an "interpretive" column of 1-5 stars. this to me is thoughtless, b/c why break the one column just to enable the other? enable both! but more importantly, it violates the very point of mp3tag to begin with, which is to show the user the true values and strings in ones tags, not just an interpretation of them.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 14:40   #21
ryerman
Major Dude
 
ryerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i'm curious as to why you do this...? is it b/c you want just one column for ratings regardless of the file type?

does it translate everything to a 1-5 star scale? or does it show real strings?

just clarifying: you use 1-5 as your input value for mp3tag, but under the hood its writing POPM values 1-255, right?
Yes, that's why. The Mp3tag documentation seems to imply that is the reason mapping is used.
http://help.mp3tag.de/main_mapping.html

In the GUI, only what I enter is displayed in the column defined as %popularimeter%. Any translation is hidden. I see the actual strings not in Mp3tag, but with Exiftool.

As an example, I entered 60 for a FLAC and M4A file and 3 for a MP3 and WMA file;
in the files I saw this:
FLAC...Rating : 60
M4A......Rating Percent : 60
MP3......Popularimeter : rating@winamp.com Rating=128 Count=0
WMA.....Shared User Rating : 50

Winamp translates all those values to 3 stars.
If I start in Winamp and rate all files with 3 stars, the above values (60 or 3) are displayed in Mp3tag.
And this works for all 5 Winamp rating levels.

As I mentioned, the trick when applying ratings in Mp3tag with my mapping is to use 1-5 for MP3 or WMA and 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 for FLAC and M4A.
As long as I have figured out the correct mapping between Winamp and Mp3tag, I don't worry about what is written "under the hood". (Those days are over, for me.)
But yes, Mp3tag writes the POPM values on a 1-255 scale.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 02:36   #22
No One
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
Wow, you guys lost me about three laps back...

Ryerman/MrSinatra, you're correct about the 20,40,etc. If I click on a star on a FLAC file in WinAmp, it will store that multiple of twenty in the RATING tag for the FLAC file (strangely, however, I've seen multiple RATING tags for a FLAC file if I open the advanced tab under file information in WinAmp). But when I open that same file with mp3tag, the rating is not there.

So I add a 20,40,etc. to the RATING tag for the same file with mp3tag and reopen it in WinAmp. The rating I just assigned has been given to the RATING WINAMP tag which does not translate to a star rating. If I add the 20,40,etc. to the RATING WINAMP tag in mp3tag, it copies that value to the RATING tag in mp3tag, but still only shows up as a RATING WINAMP value in WinAmp.

I'm trying my best to be clear about this, but it ain't easy...

I'm beginning to think that the real problem here is in mp3tag and NOT in WinAmp. The two programs don't appear to be using the same tag for RATING (must be those "pseudo-tags that someone mentioned). I'm not familiar enough with the tagging process to know exactly how many actual tags are available and who gets to determine how they're used. And since, mp3tag does not provide direct access to Vorbis tags, I can only assume that you can't transfer a rating from mp3tag to WinAmp... unless you can automatically transfer the RATINGS WINAMP value to the RATINGS string within WinAmp. Can you?
No One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 13:27   #23
ryerman
Major Dude
 
ryerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by No One View Post
And since, mp3tag does not provide direct access to Vorbis tags, I can only assume that you can't transfer a rating from mp3tag to WinAmp... unless you can automatically transfer the RATINGS WINAMP value to the RATINGS string within WinAmp. Can you?
No, but you can in Mp3tag.

Hopefully, you've read the information provided by MrSinatra in post #16 and realize that MP3 files use ID3 tags and FLAC files use Vorbis Comment tags.
Other file types use different tag systems.

For MP3 files, both Winamp and Mp3tag read and write ID3 tags, but neither use the ID3 specification field names in their GUI's. Few, if any, apps do.
For example, "Popularimeter" is defined by the ID3 tag specification to store ratings. When written to the file its "frame ID" is POPM.
In Winamp it is called "Rating" and in Mp3tag it is called "Rating Winamp".

If you rate a MP3 track using a Mp3tag column defined by %Rating Winamp%, the rating will be written to the ID3 POPM frame where Winamp expects it.
But it won't be written in the same form as it was entered.
Instead, it is translated by Mp3tag into the correct format as specified by the ID3 specification, using the scale that Winamp expects (1-255).

If you rate a FLAC track using a Mp3tag column defined by %Rating Winamp%, it will be written as a Vorbis Comment tag.
Vorbis Comments have a much looser specification and allow users to create just about any tag field.
If you enter "3", Mp3tag writes the Vorbis Comment without any translation: "Rating Winamp=3", which is a perfectly valid and proper Vorbis Comment.
However, it's useless in Winamp, even though it is displayed in "File Info".
In order to assign a 3 star rating, Winamp needs to see "Rating=3". (or Rating=60, but that's another can of worms. see warning below.)

There are 2 ways to create the "Winamp acceptable" Vorbis Comment when using Mp3tag:
  1. Create another column defined as %rating% and use it to rate FLAC files.
  2. Map RATING to RATING WINAMP for Vorbis Comment tags and continue to use the %Rating Winamp% column for both file types.
In the Mapping dialogue:
Tag -> VorbisComment
Source -> RATING
Target -> RATING WINAMP
btw, the mapping I explained in Post #17 also works.
Here's a word of warning about rating FLAC files outside of Winamp:
Although Winamp writes one scale (20,40,60,80,100), it reads 2 scales: Rating = 1 or 20 gives 1 star, Rating = 2 or 20 gives 2 stars etc.
(for some light entertainment, or as an aid to falling asleep, see this thread for more information)

If you plan to rate FLAC tracks in both applications, I suggest you use only 20, 40, 60, 80 or 100 as values in Mp3tag.
If you use the 1-5 scale in Mp3tag, the tracks will not be using a scale in common with the one written by Winamp.
And just to be clear, this is for FLAC tracks only; always use 1-5 for MP3 tracks.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 17:33   #24
No One
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
Hey, that worked (#23... wish I knew how to add those quote blocks everyone else is posting). I had already tried the mapping from #17, but that didn't work. (Maybe I don't have popularimeter defined in mp3tag?)

One interesting affect of this is if I open a FLAC in mp3tag that has been rated with mp3tag AND with WinAmp, I get a RATING value of 3\\60 or 3\\80 or something (depending on if I used the same rating in both programs). Also, it helps if I don't already have the file open in WinAmp when I edit it with mp3tag.

Anyway, this appears to work so thanks for everyone's input.

Mark
No One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 19:24   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,376
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
while mp3tag enables multiple frames/values (the // thing) i find it best to stick to one frame & one value, esp for something like ratings, and winamp NEVER recognizes more than one value for any given frame, (and only one frame at that). for id3, that means one POPM frame and one value for it, and for Vorbis it means one RATING frame (the de facto standard) and one value for it.

in general, most apps use a 0-5 star system for display, and so i always try to use standards and values that will work in ANY app (or device), not just winamp and mp3tag.

Ryerman,

it is odd to me that mp3tag would write a vorbis comment: WINAMP RATING that winamp itself does not use. are you saying thats what happens? if so, odd! i consider that a bug.

i don't use mapping, or i try not to use it, beyond the 3 default maps it comes with. instead i enable multiple columns for all the ratings types i am aware of. this also keeps me from making a mistake of possibly entering an invalid value for the different format types. (needing to know the format type to use for data entry kinda invalidates the purpose of trying to make a single column for all ratings, doesn't it? or what am i missing?)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 21:10   #26
ryerman
Major Dude
 
ryerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
while mp3tag enables multiple frames/values (the // thing) i find it best to stick to one frame & one value, esp for something like ratings
Amen to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
it is odd to me that mp3tag would write a vorbis comment: WINAMP RATING that winamp itself does not use. are you saying thats what happens? if so, odd! i consider that a bug.
Mp3tag will write any Vorbis Comment containing any value, subject to length and character encoding restrictions.
I consider that a feature, not a bug.
The user has to be sure to write the comment in a manner recognized by whatever app is used to read it.
The only time a Vorbis Comment would be called WINAMP RATING is if the column was defined by %WINAMP RATING%. (Just to be clear, I mentioned "RATING WINAMP" and I assume that is what you are referring to.)

Somebody may want a Vorbis Comment like this: MY_BIRTHDAY_IS=April 23,1900.
He would enter the data in a Mp3tag column defined as %MY_BIRTHDAY_IS%.
It would be useless in any common application, but who knows how someone uses their own metadata?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i don't use mapping, or i try not to use it, beyond the 3 default maps it comes with. instead i enable multiple columns for all the ratings types i am aware of. this also keeps me from making a mistake of possibly entering an invalid value for the different format types. (needing to know the format type to use for data entry kinda invalidates the purpose of trying to make a single column for all ratings, doesn't it? or what am i missing?)
Nothing. I can see the value in your approach.
You do it your way and I do it my way. "Variety is the spice of life."

I don't use any columns for ratings in Mp3tag. Instead I use 1 field in the Tag Panel.
Even an old fart like me can remember to use 1-5 for MP3 and 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 for FLAC.
I rarely rate songs and certainly not in the conventional way.
For example, 3 stars mean I've burned the track for my sister and me, while 2 stars mean I've burned it for my sister only. All of my Winamp Smart Views filter out tracks with 5 stars.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
mp3, ogg & flac, wma/wmv

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump