Old 20th June 2008, 17:05   #1
JoeyC

Normalize Volume

I am burning mp3 cds from my Mac iTunes library, then using Winamp in my PC to play songs for Internet Radio broadcasting. Since the mp3s have come from numerous LPs and cds, volume levels may vary significantly from song to song. Is there any way in Winamp to make the songs all play at the same volume?

Last edited by JoeyC; 20th June 2008 at 17:23.
JoeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 18:15   #2
JonnyMac

For playback, yes...
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
That's what ReplayGain is for...

Make sure it's enabled in Prefs -> Playback

Then there's just the small matter of analyzing all your files and applying the RG data to the tags (via: right-click playlist or media library items -> Send to -> Calculate ReplayGain).

Note, the analysis uses lots of cpu, so it's recommended to do it overnight, and in stages if you've got a huge library.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 18:50   #3
JoeyC

Thanks, I have tried that, and have several more questions about it.
I tried it on a cd with 43 tracks. I did not see a way to highlight all the names in the playlist at once, I had to do it one song at a time. Is there a way to highlight the whole list at once?

When Replay Gain was finished, it appeared as though I had to select Save Album or Save Track. I assumed that by clicking on Album, it would keep them all at the same level. But, when I did that, it just went to the previous track. Do I need to click on Save for each track?

Lastly, once I have Saved, will Winamp then remember this cd and its playlist the next time I load it?

Thanks.
Old 20th June 2008, 21:47   #4
JonnyMac

Unfortunately RG does not with CDs because to RG data can not be saved to the track metadata.

I have not used ReplayGain because I have not need to do so, at least not yet. However, AFAIK the prefered metheod is Save Album

You should be able use the click & shift method to highlight multiple items in the playlist. Alternately, you can use Ctrl+A to select all items in the playlist.

More info from the from Winamp Help (via the F1 key)…
http://media.winamp.com/main/help/50...neral_playback

I am away from my computer at a lake house now and Winampless so there is only so much help that I can provide at this time.

If anyone else would like to jump in here, feel free.
Old 20th June 2008, 21:57   #5
samsung fan

Try Mp3Gain software, it equals volume level of your mp3 files, you can even set which volume level will be default for all mp3 files. It's free and has no trial period, you will notice change in volume level in any pc or portable player you use. Hope this can help.
samsung fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 02:37   #6
JoeyC

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! I will try them both out.
By the way, I did Click and Shift to select all in the playlist and it worked this time. Don't know why it did not do so before. But, at the end, when I clicked on Save as Album, I still had to do it for each track. That didn't seem right, but it seemed to work.
Old 21st June 2008, 11:53   #7
JonnyMac

Preferences > Plug-ins > Media Library > ReplayGain Analyzer > config

I believe there is a option there to prevent you from being asked for each track.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support