• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stefanomollo
    • Jan 2009

sc_serv on embedded hardware.

Hi everyone,

I am experimenting and trying to run sc_serv (the Linux binary) on a couple of embedded platforms, which *are* running Linux, just not the usual flavour.

The first one is this:

It is a Blackfin based embedded platform, which is sold for about 250 USD and that (1) runs on uCLinux and (2) draws only 5Watts of power from its 12Volts adapter. It is very light and snall, and very stable, at least for the PBX/Asterisk function it is sold. Because in my case this PBX handles very few calls per day (and none at night), it sits almost idle for the most of its time. I then decided to take advantage of the unsued upload bandiwidth and CPU power, and try and install the Linux sc_serv (the 1.9.8) on it, but it doesn't run, complaing about something "ELF" related.

Another interesting piece of embedded hardware I found to be running Linux, is my Netgear router, the DG 834v3; again, sc_serv for Linux would not run, giving out the following error: ' 1: "(" unexpected '

I will be posting screenshots in the following hours, but I wanted to get ahead with the question, may be someone can point me in the right direction.

More widely, there are many many old routers out there that are just embedded platform running some flavour of Linux; does anyone had luck in running sc_serv on any of those virtually free hardwares?

I' ve got my DG834 from the garbage, because it isn't wireless; but it's ADSL2+ compatible and has got 4 ethernet ports .... and many more modem-routers that do not have the ADSL port, but they are only ethernet are going in the garbage these days... those HWs would be perfect for other applications, such as this one.

Thanks for the time taken to read this, I really hope someone can shed some light on this; I did made an extensive search on Google, but I came up with no solution.

Cheers to everyone,

Stefano Mollo.
  • jaromanda
    Forum King
    • Jun 2007

The ZPX04 has a "Blackfin 533" CPU
    The DG843 has a ??? who knows CPU

The "linux" sc_serv is for an x86 CPU
    "If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did

Comment

• stefanomollo
      • Jan 2009

Hi Jaromanda, thanks for your reply; yes, sc_serv for Linux is supposed to be used on an x86 platform, but I do not know if it *must* be recompiled in order to run on a different HW architecture, because this particular software does not interact with any specific hardware, it just receives the source stream and then it broadcast it to a number of client, no sound card is involved.

I am attaching two screen shots, one is the error and the second is the specific version of Linux it's running.

The NetGear DG834v3 is based upon the Texas Instruments AR7 MIPS-based, TNETD7200ZDW CPU.

For further hardware reference, in this page you can find a lot of info on the hardware itself;

Thanks,

Stefano.
      Attached Files

Comment

• jaromanda
        Forum King
        • Jun 2007

Originally Posted by stefanomollo View Post
        but I do not know if it *must* be recompiled in order to run on a different HW architecture
        yes it must

and it wont work on some "lite" linux distro's either, because not all linux distro's have the right shared libraries ... e.g. I use zeroshell, no linux shoutcast works on that even though it's an x86 distro - I can't recall which library(s) is/are missing

So I did

Comment

• stefanomollo
          • Jan 2009

Ok ... I am beginning to understand...

Ok, thanks again Jaromanda; so, so far I have clear that (pls correct me if I am wrong):

(1) sc_serv needs some libraries in order to run, but which?

(2) sc_serv needs to be recompiled if running on a different architecture, but how if I do not have sources? Can I somehow decompile/disassemble it and recompile it for a different target, without any change to it, just to run it on a different architecture?

About the Blackfin architecture; in your opinion could I install the needed libraries and what is the meaning of the "ELF: not found" error message?

Yes, I guess it is looking for the "ELF libraries" (???), but how could I resolve this problem?

My intuition tells me that the BlackFin box might be strong enough to support sc_serv; remember that it is running Asterisk, it's web GUI, the Zaptel drivers and a bit of other things that are not exactly light.

I am attaching two screenshot, this time from the BackFin Zycoo Asterisk PBX, one with the error message, another one (BlackFin02) is the welcome screen.

Thank you again,

Stefano.
          Attached Files

Comment

• jaromanda
            Forum King
            • Jun 2007

I don't know what blackfin is ... is it x86? if not, then the rest of your questions are meaningless ... only AOL has the source code to shoutcast DNAS, DSP and sc_trans etc ... so only AOL can compile it ... they aren't about to release the source code, even though a community effort would probably make their stuff ACTUALLY WORK AS ADVERTISED ... but ... that's a moot point

So I did

Comment

• stefanomollo
              • Jan 2009

No, Blackfin is ... Blackfin, as described here:

For the past 14 years Analog Devices has developed and maintained the ports of uCLinux, uBoot, GCC, GDB and Buildroot for the Blackfin BF5xx architecture. We will

Stefano.

Comment

Working...
              X