Old 9th July 2003, 19:18   #1
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

custom waveforms are here!

Hope you guys like this...

Get the beta from:
http://www.geisswerks.com/t/milkdrop_104_beta_1.zip

The 5 'test' presets will illustrate how you can use the custom waveforms. It will be obvious how to do it; just go to the menu ('m').

Please feel free to give suggestions on how to improve it. Also, if anyone can crank out some good presets using the new custom waveforms, I'd like to include them in the release of 1.04... =)

Peace,
Ryan
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2003, 23:34   #2
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
WOW!

FINALLY IDIOT GETS TO REPLY TO A NEW RELASE POST FIRST!

Good Work

I'll be up all night playing with this
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2003, 23:36   #3
Zylot
Major Dude

GOD DAMN this shit computer can't handle the new Milkdrop.

I get a nice white screen.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2003, 23:43   #4
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

I've noticed something weird... When I was trying to navigate between the "C:\Program Files\Winamp\plugins\milkdrop\" dir to "C:\All Presets" it would lock up and I couldn't move the cursor up or down through directories..
Old 9th July 2003, 23:57   #5
geiss

Zylot,

It uses DirectX 8 now. You might want to get the latest video drivers for your card & see if that fixes it. What video card do you have?

Also, is anybody else having this problem?

-RG
Old 10th July 2003, 00:36   #6
Zylot
Major Dude

Erm, I have a GE4, but I am stuck on my fiance's comp for the remained of the month and a week after Otakon, on a Crap processor with dialup and a voodoo 3...

save me?

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 00:48   #7
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Ryan, Would you mind giving me a brief explanation of the new variables for the Waveforms (IE Sample,T1,T2 etc.) ?
Old 10th July 2003, 00:52   #8
MooseMuffin

Is it in my head or is it faster than before?
MooseMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 01:03   #9
geiss

'sample' is from 0..1 and tells you how far through the samples you are. the first sample will have sample==0, the last one will have sample==1, and all the rest will be in between.

'value1' is the left channel value of the waveform or the spectrum for this point. 'value2' is the right channel value.

the t1-t8 vars are sort of like the q1-q8 vars in the regular code. you can set t1-t8 during the 'init' code and they will be readable (and writeable) in the per-frame and per-point code. if you modify t3 in the per-frame code, then the first point will have that modified value; if you then modify t3 during the first point, the second point will get the modified value; and so on. on the next frame, the starting value of t3 will be whatever it was for the last point (or the last time it was set).

Hope that covers the basics...

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 10th July 2003, 01:09   #10
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
Cool Ryan, the custom waveforms look really cool, I'm still running a Voodoo3 at the moment so I don't get to see it as it should look, but it should be really cool.

It seems to want to drop the refresh rate of the desktop back to 60Hz after running it (at 1024 x 768), but it's probably just my dodgy video card.

I'm in the process of trying to write up a wishlist of some other new features, will hopefully post that here in the next few days... are you still looking for more general suggestions?
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 01:41   #11
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

I'll play around more in the morning :P I'm too tired to do much ATM.
Old 10th July 2003, 02:49   #12
Krash
Major Dude

Windowed mode is fubared - can't resize the window.

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 03:12   #13
Krash
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by MooseMuffin
Is it in my head or is it faster than before?
definitely faster.

Custom waves are very cool. Don't know if I'll have a chance to play with any of this properly - I've got alot of other thing demanding my attention...

- Krash

Last edited by Krash; 10th July 2003 at 03:28.
Old 10th July 2003, 04:35   #14
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan, I am getting almost double the fps and if you double click or right click you can go back to full screen or to window mode, depending on what you have set in the setings. I am buzzed now, but I still know that everything is good so far and you just need to tighten it up, but this is only a beta so don't worry, you can do it, because you are a genius. I slightly intoxicated and I am still partcial sober. killer new milkdrop, and everything is good so far. All works good for me. I do not know what the other problems everyone else is having, but so far killer for me. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 04:41   #15
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan, this beta is flying, at lesat double the fps sometimes much more, you are the best milkdrop. SM Ps double click to go from full screen to window mode or? SM
Old 10th July 2003, 04:42   #16
StudioMusic
Major Dude

The best in the world, just get everything else to work. 250 fps on some presets is what I am getting. SM
Old 10th July 2003, 04:47   #17
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan I am not having problems anyone else is having, I can rezise window mode any size I want, I just have a few complaints Geiss. You need to make it so it does not flash the band name is the upper left corner. T does not show the band anymore and K and does not work and the numbers for the type does not work. Fix all that and it should be much better. SM
Old 10th July 2003, 10:30   #18
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Is the "fix slow text" option gone?
Old 10th July 2003, 11:45   #19
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Geiss you got two things right for sure. You can right click or double click on the screen and it will go to window mode or fullscreen or if you have it set even to desktop, but T no longer shows the song title, and the numbers do not show nothing, also K does not work anymore, but I know yu are just in beta. My framerate is unbeleiveable. I am getting 250 fps on some preset and none are below 100. A total increase in FPS. It flys now. SM
Old 10th July 2003, 11:52   #20
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Geiss, don't forget to make it so when the playlist is showing that you can press a letter, say L to go to Linkin park or S for Studio Music or S for Staind or Saliva. and we need a counter for the volume. This is Killer. Rova has not posted yet. SM
Old 10th July 2003, 12:12   #21
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Harmonic bliss I am getting average of 190 fps and So much love about 115 fps and my mode of Unchaineds Just ain't right Extreme complexity 110 fps a total increase in Fps. Also you can right click on the screen or double click and go back to fullscreen or window mode. I love MD. It is only going to get better. SM
Old 10th July 2003, 12:19   #22
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Also Ryan, you made it so you have 4 custom waveform's. I am to intoxicated now to check it out more than I have but it seems really good, and I know you wanted us to write some presets that have the new variables, but I can barely type. I will try soon though. SM
Old 10th July 2003, 12:22   #23
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Bad mistake by me. The flashing was in the upper right corner, but it is gone now, hope it does not come back, was not to noticeable anyway. SM
Old 10th July 2003, 13:03   #24
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan, all I can say now is great work so far, and sorry I drank to much today. SM
Old 10th July 2003, 16:39   #25
Krash
Major Dude

SM, perhaps you should stay off the forums when you're partying =]

I know it's probably not kosher, but Rova, is there any chance of you cleaning all that off?

- Krash

Old 10th July 2003, 19:11   #26
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Atleast he likes it
Old 10th July 2003, 19:58   #27
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I am sober now, and I am so sorry everyone for all the post I did last night, and I can barely understand some of it myself. I did not realize just how drunk I was. I was so excited last night. Still I can not wait for the final version to come out. I am totally loving this new version so far. Illusion you did a good job with the wishlist post too. Boy what a hangover I got. Krash were you able to resize window mode? just grab the bottom right corner and it should work just fine, and since you have the same vid card as me what is your Fps in fullscreen on a average preset? I can not believe how fast it is now. T no longer shows song title, custom messages no longer works and sprites don't work, I am sure you know this Ryan but just in case I am letting you know, otherwise at the moment all else seems good. Also I was getting a little flashing in the upper right corner of the song, it was just barely noticeable though. Now to go check the new MD some more. Thanks Ryan you are the best. SM
Old 10th July 2003, 21:49   #28
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Do not know how serious this is but I was turning down the number of samples in custom waveform 1 and when I got to 33 the whole PC just froze up, had to reboot and I tried it many times same thing, anyone else able to duplicate this? Also Ryan I fugure out what the flashing was in the upper right corner, it was winamp bar causing it. I don't need it anyway. SM

Last edited by StudioMusic; 10th July 2003 at 23:25.
Old 10th July 2003, 23:33   #29
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan it seems that alot of the adjustments in the custom waveform section seems to freeze up the whole PC causing me to reboot when I turn them way up or down. I have a ATI Radeon 9700, with catalyst 3.5 drivers and directx 9.0a on a 2.4ghz pentium 512 megs ram. Got to go to work now. Anyone else with the same problem? Thanks, SM
Old 11th July 2003, 03:46   #30
Telek

the main problem I've encountered is the inversion of the wave_y var. But it's now as it should be... so I guess we'll have to do the big preset batch mod.

Could there be a waveform copy option - to take say, custom waveform 1 from preset X and paste it in preset Y? Copying each value and code page is tedious, (and save-as is no good when there's already existing code in the destination preset).

There's great prospects in v1.04, it's just such a massive change, it's awesome!

Telek Sterling
Dilettante Extraordinaire
Telek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2003, 09:57   #31
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
<3 Milkdrop

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2003, 18:06   #32
geiss

another update

got another update for y'all:

http://www.geisswerks.com/t/milkdrop_104_beta_2.zip

This version has new 'custom shapes' in addition to the custom waves. Both can now be imported & exported.

This version also has some fun transition effects, where the motion of the image blends differently for each vertex (instead of all together, like it used to). There are 4 effects: 1. directional wipe, 2. radial wipe (in/out), 3. fractal wipe (plasma), and 4. constant fade (like it used to do).

Lemme know what's good, what sucks, what's broken...

Peace,
Ryan
Old 11th July 2003, 21:23   #33
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Not to experienced with all this, not sure if this is a bug, but on this beta 2 version the presets are elongated vertically. Great work Ryan. Shapes look good. Need more time to check this out, back to work shortly.
PS. Forget to tell you the crashing I was experienceing has been resolved. SM

Last edited by StudioMusic; 11th July 2003 at 23:15.
Old 11th July 2003, 22:30   #34
MooseMuffin

Performance is still great, new transition effects are great too. Presets with these custom shapes/waveforms should be fantastic. Anyone else have a problem where the song names wont show up when the song changes though? I have the option checked.
MooseMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2003, 23:54   #35
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

I noticed in the "test2" preset, there is an error in per pixel, It seems comments in per pixel are b0rked.. Atleast.. I un-commented the first line and it was fine, but if they were both commented it gave an error.
Old 12th July 2003, 02:43   #36
Krash
Major Dude

I still can't resize windowed mode. When I try, it says it ran out of video memory, and that I probably tried to make it too big.

It happens even when I try to make the window *smaller*

I'm running DX9, and a reasonably recent version of the ATi Catalyst drivers (probably not the latest). Seems a strange bug though...

Addition: every second time I start MilkDrop, it fails to create a D3DDevice. I can run MD, close it straight away, and run it straight after, and it won't start the second time. It gives me a verbose message telling me what the problem might be, but no actual error code (D3DERR_Unavailable)

- Krash

Old 12th July 2003, 02:47   #37
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
Wow Ryan, the custom shapes look fantastic.

The ability to import and export them should be really handy too, rather than having to copy & paste them in a text editor.

I can't actually see what the new transitions between presets are supposed to do though? As far as I can see, they just fade in like they used to... though it could just be my eyes

I also have the same problem as Krash - in windowed mode, I can't seem to resize the window without MilkDrop crashing - it won't resize smaller or larger. I'm running a Voodoo3 2000 PCI (yes, it's ancient, I know) with v1.03 drivers, and also have DirectX9 installed.

Apart from that, it's looking great, thanks for putting in some of the requests. The one major thing (out of the wishlist) that I would really like to see is more options for text - such as line breaks, wrapping, additional ID3 info, and so on. Is any of this possible in the next beta?

Thanks again Ryan, you rock!
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2003, 09:18   #38
Telek

I don't have the windowed resizing problem (DX8, nvidia voodoo2), but I do notice the 'vertical exaggeration' of the presets (ie: can't see the border at the top and bottom).

Looking great though!

Telek Sterling
Dilettante Extraordinaire
Telek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2003, 10:54   #39
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan, got a chance to try this out on my laptop, inspiron 8000 800mhz, ATI mobility 32meg, directx 9.0a and the newest drivers. In my desktop I experince 4 times the speed, in the laptop the speed cut in half (fullscreen), by lowering the resolution 1 notch I can almost double the speed of MD 103 and everything works (still OK). I do not have the resizeing problem on either PC, but I do have the elongated vertically problem with the preset, (Can't see the border)on both PC's (makes the presets look deformed)! Also when you get everything else it would be fantastic if you can make the playlist similar to the preset list where you can push a letter to go to the song say B for Britney Speres or Bush and so on. Also not quit as important but still very usefull, to have a meter to show the volume for winamp when the volume keys are pushed say 0 to 100 (mostly needed for fullscreen). Everything is looking wonderful so far. Can't wait for the final 1.04. SM
Old 12th July 2003, 13:17   #40
Krash
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Telek
I do notice the 'vertical exaggeration' of the presets (ie: can't see the border at the top and bottom).
I get this also. I noticed it in my "War Machine" presets first - the top and bottom rows of swirls go off the screen, and they never used to.

- Krash

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets