Old 27th October 2016, 03:31   #1681
cybersaga

Ahh, I see. Nevermind me then.

Gabe's Hacks - How to videos
Gabe's Code - Programming tips
cybersaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 03:15   #1682
Thrakk

I would like to make a skin for the new beta to trick people into thinking that we're getting a completely reborn prog.

Actually, I've never made a skin before but I've browsed through thousands of them. I have high standards and generally prefer the conservative bento skin (royal black) so I think I have a good baseline to build off of.
Thrakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 23:56   #1683
SoxmisUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
I hate to be rude too BUT I dare you to put any other players side by side with Winamp and you will see Winamp STILL blows the competition out of the water.

Maybe you're not a tweaker but with so may skins and plugins available Winamp with do almost everything and more.
As someone who has just listened to the Stones playing 'Midnight Rambler' whilst reading this...

Yup. Best ever.
SoxmisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 07:30   #1684
mishal153

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapi0 View Post
Good news that something new is still coming out.
Would like to be in beta.
me too
mishal153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 08:32   #1685
Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
https://twitter.com/Ed_Rich/status/788650603383754752

Some people might be disappointed, as there isn't a whole heap of new features, mainly just replacements and fixes.
Hopefully, everyone else will be fairly happy though....

Still loads to do, but it's definitely in a very stable and usable state now :-)

Final testing stages first, so watch this space over the next few hours/days/weeks (delete as applicable).
Wow! *excited*

The 5.8 version numbering is interesting. I was half expecting this version to be 6.0, but I guess it's less a rewrite than a stripping out of redundant code.
Meaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 08:32   #1686
MurcanDownunder

A feature/fix to consider in the new version?

Still anxiously waiting for the new release of Winamp. I've been using Winamp since version 2 and have been running version 5.666.3516 since it's release.
I've just discovered a limitation to the local library that I hope will be addressed in the new release.
Over the weekend, I added a bunch of mp3's to the library and ever since, Winamp keeps crashing with a generic error. I finally realized that the additional mp3's bumped the number of items in the library to 65523 items. That number is very close to 64 kilobytes (65536).
Winamp started working as normal again after I removed some files from the library. I'm guessing that the library index or something is a fixed 64kb? I don't think it's a bug. Just something that wasn't considered.
MurcanDownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 07:36   #1687
the SASS Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurcanDownunder View Post
I've just discovered a limitation to the local library that I hope will be addressed in the new release.
Over the weekend, I added a bunch of mp3's to the library and ever since, Winamp keeps crashing with a generic error. I finally realized that the additional mp3's bumped the number of items in the library to 65523 items. That number is very close to 64 kilobytes (65536).
Winamp started working as normal again after I removed some files from the library. I'm guessing that the library index or something is a fixed 64kb? I don't think it's a bug. Just something that wasn't considered.
Given the rate that hard drive capacities are increasing, I definitely think the item index data field needs to be changed from a two-byte to a four-byte field, at least. Unless that's hard-coded using C or machine code, I'd think it should be easy to replace the variable with a different data type.

On the other hand, some of this stuff was basically coded on Stone Tablets, if you know what I mean. D.J. Egg, might you have any comment and/or solution to this?

--=> the SASS Man <=--
--> King of the Rock <--
the SASS Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 08:24   #1688
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i have 80k + items in my ML. there is a limit, but it isn't a known hard number, and seems to depend on various nebulous factors, like how many tags per file, whats in them, art, etc.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 13:09   #1689
Galaxis5757

Right now I'm testing the new DrO's beta version of Winamp.
Makes me happy.
Galaxis5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 13:10   #1690
guzmanator

Just reinstalled 5.666 and thought, why not check the website and see if there's a new version...I'm happy to see something is coming out soon

I can promise now that I'm an adult I will definitely buy a license because trying numberous other media players has really shown me nothing beats Winamp. Side note - any interest in selling stickers to show loyalty? :b
guzmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 07:07   #1691
catlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmanator View Post
Just reinstalled 5.666 and thought, why not check the website and see if there's a new version...I'm happy to see something is coming out soon

I can promise now that I'm an adult I will definitely buy a license because trying numberous other media players has really shown me nothing beats Winamp. Side note - any interest in selling stickers to show loyalty? :b
I m agree with you mate, never find a music player like winamp. so many time winamp give me the best memory of my music exp. I will pay it for the new updated!.
catlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 10:23   #1692
JL1221

Hi Team!

Those are great news I love Winamp but I had to move to AIMP cos for years I couldn't have a decent crossfader plug-in. I hope you guys can develop a good one already built-in!

Keep doing great job!

kind Regards,

John Lange
JL1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 16:10   #1693
musicf8
Major Dude

Winamp already has crossfade built in

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

5.8 beta issue quick fix - Install 5.666 (there's no further 5.8 releases)
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 18:34   #1694
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
Winamp already has crossfade built in
Does it?

I've used Winamp since 1999 and I've never once got it to crossfade smoothly even trying several plugins still didn't get the crossfade right. SQR made things even worse.

In my experience It also chops short files off at least it did when I first tried streaming a station with it.

You must enlighten me as to the settings you use to get a crossfade right in WA

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Blog - Twitter - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 19:20   #1695
musicf8
Major Dude

I've never had issues with the crossfade function in Winamp (I believe it was added in 5.0+) with the exception of streaming. Yes, streaming caused it to constantly buffer. Normally I would have to crossfade set to 10 seconds and haven't noticed anything bad. Short songs do just fade in and out too quickly which I believe is the "cut off" you mention.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 18th November 2016, 19:48   #1696
Aminifu
Forum King

Winamp's crossfader is part of the DirectSound output plug-in, so you must be using that plug-in to use it. There are options within the DirectSound output plug-in's configuration settings that allow for more control over the crossfade than are provided in a skin's user interface.

Thinktink has developed a crossfader plug-in combo for use by SHOUTcasters. It can also be used by non-SHOUTcasters. http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=379988

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 17:07   #1697
StimpyCat

Can I and how do I sign up to be a beta tester?
StimpyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 17:12   #1698
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpyCat View Post
Can I and how do I sign up to be a beta tester?
That's up to DJ Egg whenever he opens it up for beta testing... though I am guessing it will be just a public beta test... but that's a guess

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 22nd November 2016, 19:24   #1699
StimpyCat

Thanks
StimpyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:47   #1700
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Hello musicf8,

nice to see You here.

I myself hope it will be just a public beta test and not an "invite-only", because then I never would be able to test it. In the publicity I don't want to talk about the reasons, why.

Also I myself test very much again and again, I do my preselections and final selections of textures and desktop wallpapers. I am very active in Skinning and Design and in Milkdrop. I customize more and more the Milkdrop Visualizer and those Modern Skins, which can access images. This year I have made some new photos of Nature & Landscapes without humans and I have choosen the best of them. Recently I have worked again on the sprites and textures. Currently I have to update my .zip-folders on Mediafire very often, and in my Devious Journal "Winamp forever - Music forever!!!" on deviantART (Sternenmaschinebine) I have listed also the latest updates of my .zip-folders now.

I will be very happy, if I can help to customize Winamp & Milkdrop...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 17:04   #1701
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
I myself hope it will be just a public beta test and not an "invite-only", because then I never would be able to test it.
My guess as to why it will be a public beta is because Egg knows everyone is anxiously waiting for some new version, and I highly expect many dedicated users would love to test it out and report bugs. Though I doubt we would see any kind of release until after the new year because of the holidays.

But then again... it's all a guess

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 28th November 2016, 01:31   #1702
dustinw251

Been away from the site for a month or 2 glad to see some good news, Im looking forward to getting back in the swing with a new Winamp, If you guys get time see if you can do anything with the mac version too. Beggars cant be choosers but Thank you for all you guys do, There are alot of us as you can see that have been greatfull for your work all these years and looks like we might get to stay that way for years to come. Keep up the good work DJ Egg and associates. lol.
dustinw251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2016, 20:09   #1703
pepanee

Suggestion for the new Winamp (if this option doesn't already exist; If it does, can someone please tell me how to get to it?)

You know how when you go into Winamp's Preferences > Press Skins (on the left side), and on the right you can see the option for "Random skin on play", which is pretty cool: this option changes the skin of Winamp to any of the skins that you have installed. But the thing is that those skins are kinda old.

I use only the Big Bento skin. Yet with this skin, I have many custom downloaded Color Themes. I would LOVE Winamp to load a custom Color Theme (for Big Bento) every time a new song plays. (So it's practically very similar to the option that I first stated above, yet does this for the Color Themes within the Big Bento skin).

Does this option already exist? If so, can somebody please tell me how to find it. If not, then this would be a nice upgrade.
pepanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2016, 23:32   #1704
seyss

Ok what is the latest news for this abandoned player I use every day? Those belgians really killed it?
seyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 11:03   #1705
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyss View Post
Ok what is the latest news for this abandoned player I use every day? Those belgians really killed it?
It's not killed, it's just taking a really long time to remove all the AOL and licensed stuff so that Winamp becomes 100% free again (no Pro version). Alot of work went into Shoutcast and winamp wasn't touched during that period. I know the developers are getting close to some kind of beta release, but I don't know if that is completely true.

The first post on this thread has links to the progression of development.

"Only a MouseHelmet will save you from a MouseTrap" -Jason Ross (Me)
NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
JasonFriday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 17:36   #1706
musicf8
Major Dude

Also, I think the development team is now only a few people... tbh, I don't even know who still it working on winamp, besides DJ Egg.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 8th December 2016, 02:51   #1707
Tohno_Neil

XAudio2 output plug-in?

So many WASAPI Output Plugins are not do well in low-end device.
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 05:45   #1708
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by quachdaihjep8x View Post
I want more information
really?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 10th December 2016, 12:51   #1709
/usr/bin/Tux

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
Also, I think the development team is now only a few people...
Which might be enough.

Winamp user since v1.something.
/usr/bin/Tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 03:47   #1710
MrSinatra
Forum King

not to be a killjoy, but unless Egg says different, i believe there are ZERO official devs working on winamp, and Egg himself isn't a dev but more of a vision and Q&A guy.

there may or may not be a volunteer dev on it, probably an Ex AOL/Nullsoft guy, (but not DrO who is working on his own fork).

i'm not even sure Shoutcast has any devs working on it.

--
Old 12th December 2016, 09:12   #1711
the SASS Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
not to be a killjoy, but unless Egg says different, i believe there are ZERO official devs working on winamp, and Egg himself isn't a dev but more of a vision and Q&A guy.

there may or may not be a volunteer dev on it, probably an Ex AOL/Nullsoft guy, (but not DrO who is working on his own fork).

i'm not even sure Shoutcast has any devs working on it.
Well, apparently somebody's working on it, b/c the Egg Man himself gave us an update in Oct. that there's a 5.8 Beta in the works:

https://twitter.com/Ed_Rich/status/788650603383754752

--=> the SASS Man <=--
--> King of the Rock <--
the SASS Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 11:00   #1712
MrSinatra
Forum King

that doesn't seem to suggest much in the way of confidence, or that its an official dev, or that its coming anytime soon.

in fact, imo, this looks like Kevorkianware to me, at least until a superstar like Benski or someone like that gets serious about it again.

--
Old 12th December 2016, 11:37   #1713
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
that doesn't seem to suggest much in the way of confidence, or that its an official dev, or that its coming anytime soon.

in fact, imo, this looks like Kevorkianware to me, at least until a superstar like Benski or someone like that gets serious about it again.
God sakes man have some patience!!

DJ Egg has said on this forum that Winamp will be getting a reboot/makeover sometime soon!

So what if its taking a long time to get a new version of WA out? When it does happen the wait will probably be worth it as it won't have much of the bloatware it had under AO HELL.

Several pieces of software I use haven't been updated in ages but you don't hear me whinging about it on their forums. I'm waiting patiently because I happen to know there are new versions of that software being worked on & I'll be waiting patiently for the next version of WA too!

Stop being so negative...

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Blog - Twitter - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 11:59   #1714
MrSinatra
Forum King

and how do u happen to know this? and who is doing it? and when do they propose to announce it?

i think 3 years has demonstrated iron willed patience.

--
Old 12th December 2016, 17:40   #1715
musicf8
Major Dude

Considering that Vivendi essentially now owns Winamp, I have little confidence in the future of Winamp. I can see Winamp 5.8 being released, but it being the last version. Anyway, Radionomy has shown they don't care about Winamp or the community.

Though, I do hope for otherwise.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 13th December 2016, 10:20   #1716
Radionomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinatra View Post
and how do u happen to know this? And who is doing it? And when do they propose to announce it?

I think 3 years has demonstrated iron willed patience.
+1
Radionomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 23:00   #1717
bjjocsdradio

Send a message via AIM to bjjocsdradio
Good news to see at least Egg announcing some sort of beta being worked on. Alas, it has been 3 years, and time is continuing to fly by. I am hoping soon we will have a new version of WINAMP to use! Keep your confidence guys!
bjjocsdradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 14:35   #1718
tucker973

First time I've had occasion to install Winamp on a new machine in a couple years. On the one hand, it's exciting to see the project gaining some movement. On the other, I wish there was a little more word on public beta. This does bring me back to the old days, though - I was recently reminiscing with a friend about the late '90s and anxiously awaiting new Winamp builds. I didn't realize I would be making that time warp...
tucker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 15:36   #1719
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker973 View Post
First time I've had occasion to install Winamp on a new machine in a couple years. On the one hand, it's exciting to see the project gaining some movement.
Yeah, right, like a gravestone in a cemetery gains movement.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 16:53   #1720
tucker973

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
Yeah, right, like a gravestone in a cemetery gains movement.
Hey, don't joke about that. I had family who lived downhill from a cemetery, and there was... shall we say... an "environmental crisis" in their neighborhood due to soil movement and erosion...
tucker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion