Old 4th March 2006, 13:15   #1
Dalet Cooper

ML multiple column sort

To make a sorting order like in Office Excel where you prioritize multiple columns...

example:

1. most played
2. genre
3. Artist
4. Year
5. Album
6. Track #

... please
Dalet Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 20:54   #2
lanfear

Yes, a very good request!

Sorting by multiple columns should definitely be included, it's a very intuitive feature that you kinda expect should be there.
lanfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 22:20   #3
joeconstantine

I'd love to see this feature, and I agree, it's something you expect to see. With album art switched on I'd love to browse my albums sorted by artist-year. What are the devs thoughts on this?

If you can hear yourself singing...the music ain't loud enough!
joeconstantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 22:58   #4
DrO

album art sucks (well you did ask for thoughts on the matter).

and with the serious answer, i thought you're able to do that already now by customising the settings for the view (unless i'm not following things right but then again i barely use the local media part of the ML so i really don't know what is/isn't possible)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 09:46   #5
Krinter

I'm not a very "techie" user and not much into programming and the like. Simple buttons to push is my thing.

And I remember that in the era of the Amiga I used a kind of Access/Excell-like program called "Softwood File". In it you simply clicked on the column headers in the order you wanted it sorted. The program remembered the sequence and kept it even though the program were closed. A simple and effective feature that immensly improved the searching capability of whatever type information you might put into the program.

I think it was also possible to choose between whether you wanted latest column clicked to be the primary sorting column... or to make a sorting order that goes the other way around. I.e. click the primary first, secondary next and so on so forth.

Get to work... or my arms will fall off in despair. I should think that programmers in '07 wouldn't want the folks back in the mid-eighties computer business to have anything on them. Am I poking any egos yet? hehehehh
Krinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 13:55   #6
lanfear

Quote:
Originally posted by Krinter
Get to work... or my arms will fall off in despair. I should think that programmers in '07 wouldn't want the folks back in the mid-eighties computer business to have anything on them. Am I poking any egos yet? hehehehh [/B]
Yes, please, implement this!

It's a very small change that will help people A LOT!
Old 22nd November 2007, 14:55   #7
Fazer

Quote:
Originally posted by joeconstantine
I'd love to see this feature, and I agree, it's something you expect to see. With album art switched on I'd love to browse my albums sorted by artist-year. What are the devs thoughts on this?
Seriously, why isn't this standard in Winamp yet? But more realistically: why isn't there a plugin for this yet?

Sorry, hi. First post. But I really would love this in Winamp!
Fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 11:04   #8
joeconstantine

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
album art sucks (well you did ask for thoughts on the matter).
I've never understood that attitude. Album art is ace! I guess I'm old fasioned. I still like the good old album/LP. I know people who just have a folder of mp3s organised in no particular way - but that's just wrong!

Old 18th March 2008, 18:14   #9
lanfear

Ah well, this thread ain't about album art anyway.

Multiple column sorting, here we come!
Old 8th April 2008, 21:11   #10
Fazer

I'm sure there are people out there who can make some plugin for this?

Please?
Old 10th April 2008, 16:28   #11
jtbse

Send a message via AIM to jtbse Send a message via Yahoo to jtbse
Quote:
Originally posted by joeconstantine
Probably not exactly what you're after, but I've done something very similar to this with the Bento skin.

Just create a smart view with a 3-pane filter. Set the panes to Album Artist, Year, and Album Art, then click in the album artist pane to select an artist, see the years, and then the albums/album art.
jtbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 12:02   #12
QuietBritishJim

Send a message via Yahoo to QuietBritishJim
I really want this feature too. I don't care how easy or hard to use the UI is, since I would set this once and forget about it (e.g. a separate dialogue box instead of column clicks would be fine by me).

Below is how I would have my priority list. Interestingly, this already partially works for me, in that when I sort by (1), (2) and (3) of my list are next priority (don't know whether this is hardwired for Album Artist or whether winamp just notices my column arrangment). This makes things a lot less painful, but doesn't help with collections of singles I have for artists that I put in separate pseudo-albums, or worse, my big "random collection of uncategorized songs" pseudo-album!

1) Album Artist
2) Album Name
3) Track #
4) Artist
5) Title

DrO: I've poked around, I don't see the setting you're talking about.
QuietBritishJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 08:56   #13
lanfear

Hey devs, we're approaching 2 000 views on this one. I think people want it.

Put it succinctly - "it's a feature you presume".

Keep up the great work!
Old 4th August 2008, 10:38   #14
PHi11Y

Well, I accidentally made a thread about this not knowing it was already requested. Here's what it said:

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty confident this hasn't been implemented yet. Basically, when you sort by artist, it sorts alphabetically, then sorts album names alphabetically. However, I've always wanted a way to sort by artist, then album year; so that The Beatles' first album displayed would be Please Please Me (1963), and the last being the Love (2006, I think?) compilation. It'd certainly help me considering I tend to buy entire discographies of artists I like; I've got about 15 so far.

And even then, maybe some people with varied taste in music would like to sort by genre, artist, then year. So far, the only plugin that does this is Album List 2, but that's just an extra list of albums, not integrated right in the library.

I think this secondary sorting would be fairly easy to implement, seeing as the way it's done already is to sort by artist name then album name, so nothing drastic would need to be added. Maybe just holding shift while you're clicking columns, or on the right click menu next to customize columns? IMO that right click menu's pretty lonely atm ;]
Basically, winamp already has this sorting priority implemented, just not customizable to sort the way you want it.
PHi11Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 12:23   #15
Mixsynth

A big "hell yeah" to this idea from me!

I have my tracks pane sorted by album, which makes sure that all album tracks are grouped together and kept down the bottom out of the way, allowing all the non-album tracks to float to the top. It's almost perfect for me, except I'd rather have the non-album tracks sorted by artist name rather than track name (as is default when sorting by album).

This could be achieved by way of a "sort order" dialog similar to "customize columns". Users would see a list of all the available fields to sort by (whether or not they're displayed in the view) where the items can be moved up and down. The top item would be sorted first and the bottom item would be sorted last.

Just a thought.
Mixsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 16:31   #16
joeconstantine

Quote:
Originally posted by jtbse
Probably not exactly what you're after, but I've done something very similar to this with the Bento skin.

Just create a smart view with a 3-pane filter. Set the panes to Album Artist, Year, and Album Art, then click in the album artist pane to select an artist, see the years, and then the albums/album art.
I suppose that's a step in the right direction, but it just doesn't do it for me really. The problem is that the sorting by year only takes effect when a single artist is selected. When "all artists" is selected the 3rd pane is the only one with sorting priorities.

Old 4th September 2008, 13:41   #17
Fazer

Why isn't anyone on this yet?

Multiple sorting is possible in about every other media player, why not in Winamp?
Old 4th September 2008, 14:19   #18
lanfear

Yes, this is getting old and we're now approaching 2 500 views...
Old 4th September 2008, 14:27   #19
QuietBritishJim

Send a message via Yahoo to QuietBritishJim
I really want this feature, but as a developer myself (NOT for winamp) I know that "this feature should be here already, what's wrong with you?" isn't the way to get it.
QuietBritishJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 15:54   #20
lanfear

Quote:
Originally posted by QuietBritishJim
I really want this feature, but as a developer myself (NOT for winamp) I know that "this feature should be here already, what's wrong with you?" isn't the way to get it.
You're right, of course. But I'm not sure if there's any more we can do than keep posting here and hoping for attention at some point?

It's very, very low profile, un-hip and un-cool compared to a lot of other wishlist features, so I'm not very optimistic though.
Old 6th September 2008, 00:35   #21
Fazer

Multiple column sorting ML request

Okay, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask for a plugin, but I think many people would appreciate a plugin that would allow us to sort the Media Library columns in multiple orders.

Like: Album Artist > Year > Album > Track > Title

Pretty much all other media players have this, and if wasn't for Winamps docking mode I'd make the switch.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=239896

PS: Lots of love to whoever gets his hands on this.
Old 6th September 2008, 09:31   #22
DrO

Fazer: i've merged your last post from the dev forum post since what you're asking for does not relate to that forum and also isn't something that can (or should) be done as an external plugin if it would even work anyway since the sort handling is coded into the listview handling - so an external 'hack' into that would not be safe or likely to work correctly.

and i wouldn't hold out much chance on anything being done with respect to this - had been something i'd chalked up to look at before i saw that light and stopped providing free patches on the winamp core.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 10:32   #23
Fazer

Oh well, let's just hope winamp development team notices this thread then.

Thanks for the info anyway, DrO.
Old 9th September 2008, 07:07   #24
mrburns

another big THUMBS UP for this basic feature
mrburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 04:59   #25
FrasierTheRazor

Send a message via AIM to FrasierTheRazor
FrasierTheRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 00:07   #26
d_headshot

BUMP! We need this badly :P
d_headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 21:02   #27
blackshark

Send a message via AIM to blackshark Send a message via Yahoo to blackshark
My first post ever....multiple sort levels on a view is needed IMHO.

Thanks.

D.
blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 13:23   #28
lanfear

Hm, I was thinking about the Media Library - how about being able to click on multiple columns for sorting, just like in Windows and other applications in general?
Old 14th October 2008, 22:15   #29
Jade-Raevyn

Hello, my first post too. Just want to throw in my support for this idea--it really bugs when I select two albums with more than one artist per album, and it wants to organize by album, then artist, and then track number, especially with things like movie soundtracks arranged in a specific track order. Thanks!
Jade-Raevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 23:16   #30
Neorth

Have been suggesting this before and it's still needed ofc. Bump :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by PHi11Y
Basically, winamp already has this sorting priority implemented, just not customizable to sort the way you want it.
I was thinking about that too. Probably just needs some tweaking
Neorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 00:16   #31
Neorth

Wooh, just had this light bulb flashing up over my head..

What if the "Customize columns" box had a third area where you could add the columns you wish to sort by. Would solve the issue that you can't sort by hidden columns.

The "Sort Order" area could look just like the "Visible Columns". Maybe even add numbers in front of the columns in the area to make the prioritize order even more obvious.

Don't tell me you don't need this badly
Neorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 13:40   #32
mynameisnobody

mynameisnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 17:28   #33
lanfear

Clicking several columns after eachother would give consecutive sorting - I just wanted that.

Or how do you else - artists first sorted alphabetically and then have their songs sorted alphabetically.

Please?
Old 30th January 2009, 06:48   #34
osmosis
Major Dude

bump. i really want this at this very moment.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 13:19   #35
lanfear

I can feel it in the air - multiple column sort is coming soon!
Old 17th March 2009, 08:57   #36
mrburns

Does 5.55 have it ??????
mrburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 09:28   #37
lanfear

No, v5.551 does not have it yet.

Is there any official way to submit feature requests? It feels like this thread can go on and on without getting noticed, despite thousands of views.

Edit: I just noticed that this feature request thread is 3 years old! Happy birthday! I hope you don't get much older...
Old 17th March 2009, 09:35   #38
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
This is it, and you will notice the title of the thread is wishlist. Just because a feature is proposed doesn't mean it will ever be implemented. (Due to development time required, importance of the feature in the eyes of the developer and other factors).

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 09:52   #39
lanfear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
This is it, and you will notice the title of the thread is wishlist.
Good to hear.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Just because a feature is proposed doesn't mean it will ever be implemented. (Due to development time required, importance of the feature in the eyes of the developer and other factors).
I understand what you're saying. I hope popular requests might get extra consideration.
Old 19th March 2009, 17:39   #40
Allenz

Yah.............Wishlist is endless..
Hope we will get good news soon on wishlist.......
Allenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist