Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 22nd May 2004, 05:27   #1
conflicted_user

Windows Media Player XP series vs. Winamp 5.03... Help?

If this issue has been addressed before or recently, I apologize for this as I've never had to come to the Winamp boards before with this sort of query, so forgive me and this post if it sounds like something you've read and had to deal with before...as I likely think it has.

Aside from the obvious enhancements Winamp may have over WMP-XP, are there any lesser-known issues that exist between the two? I'm more curious about what advantages WMP may have over Winamp, if any, and vice versa... Anything small but perhaps pertinent nevertheless. Ever since installing Windows XP and "getting used" to their latest variant of Media Player, I've had the general conviction that WMP served me well enough, though lately I'm wondering if I should indeed trade up. I've read before that the recent versions of Winamp had the flaw of eating up RAM and turning out to be a bulky, cumbersome player, having fallen from the supposed grace of its 2.x days. Is any of this still true, or have things improved since then?

Thanks in advance for your time. Again, I'm sorry if this sounds like something you've dealt with before. I appreciate any and all replies, if any.
conflicted_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2004, 09:09   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Well you won't find any WMP fans here but here goes:
Winamp 3 was the bulky one, though it didn't use more resources than WMP (except with some skins that have lots of animations) and in my experience wasn't more instable either. (I can make WMP9 crash just by looking at it.)

[all together now]Winamp 5 is based on the stable and reliable Winamp 2.xx, plus support for free-form skins and some other new plugins and bugfixes.[/all together now]

Winamp has much better support for other formats, either built in or via plugins whereas for WMP9 you need directshow filters and even then its library won't recognize them or it will even complain about unknown file extensions every time you start a file.

Not to mention winamp's visualisations.

And a zillion other things...

Oh, and you can have both, they won't interfere with each other.
Only if you want your files to open in winamp by default you have to unregister them in WMP, otherwise it will hijack the associations every time it's run.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2004, 14:27   #3
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
take the tour. (flash required)

oh, and we've got lots of plugins.. lots and lots and lots of them.
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2004, 18:02   #4
theknub
Major Dude

wow... never seen the tour before. very cool

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2004, 02:07   #5
Teqnilogik

Winamp has many more advantages over WMP. WMP is Microsoft's baby so it will only support what will benefit Microsoft. For example, I doubt you will ever see WMP get AAC support because Microsoft sees AAC as a competitor to its WMA format. And it is, iTunes uses AAC and doesn't support the playback of WMA but supports converting WMA to AAC. Maybe Microsoft will pull a similar move and put a feature into WMP to convert AAC to WMA. Anyway, Winamp has a more open architecture and allows third-parties to develop plug-ins for various audio formats to play in Winamp. So you get more audio support in Winamp and for a media player isn't that the point? Hehe. Currently I primarily use iTunes which can be argued to be a more closed media player like WMP but I have an iPod and love iTunes ripping and organization methods so its been working for me. Winamp and Foobar2000 work well for me for other audio formats iTunes doesn't support.
Teqnilogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2004, 03:03   #6
theknub
Major Dude

out of curiosity, have you tried the itunes plugin?

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2004, 07:59   #7
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Maybe Microsoft will pull a similar move and put a feature into WMP to convert AAC to WMA.
Like the powertoy that coverts mp3 into half bitrate wma, since as we all know, wma is better than mp3 at half the bitrate.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion