Old 19th October 2001, 12:59   #1
danbee

Send a message via ICQ to danbee Send a message via AIM to danbee Send a message via Yahoo to danbee
memory leak bug...

has anybody noticed a memory leak in winamp3? after playing for a while it appears to consume more and more gdi resources. in fact, after quitting wa3 (after having it loaded for about 2 hours) my gdi resources went up from 7% to nearly 50% free!

i actually sat and watched my gdi bar slowly go down. only seems to happen when wa3 is actually displayed (ie, not minimised).

i'm using beta 1 love with the probe skin and pp's experimental ogg plugin

:: danbee :: www.danbee.co.uk ::

"old programmers never die. they just terminate and stay resident."
Old 24th October 2001, 00:41   #2
Aspiration

Man, I am having the EXACT (same skin and everything) same problem. In fact, that's the sole reason I logged on today, was to try to find someone else experiencing the same bug.

You say it doesn't sap resources minimized though, huh? I'll have to try that, and I'll try really hard to remember that it's just a beta.

Old 24th October 2001, 03:12   #3
untheist

Send a message via AIM to untheist
hmmm

i decided to watch my memory usage. i am running windows 2000 professional, and i didn't notice a steady increase, but winamp3 seems to be using about 26MB of memory... SIGNIFICANTLY more than 2.77 uses (only about 5MB on my system). i'm sure that memory use can be cleaned up, eh?
by the way, i watched the graph of memory under "Performance" in the Task Manager, not the column under the "Processes" tab. i've found that column to be misleading about actual resource consumption of a program.
Old 24th October 2001, 16:23   #4
Aspiration

Hey,

I changed my WA3 skin to "Lounge" (which is VERY nice and versatile incidentally) and left WA3 on all night, and guess what...no sapping of resources at all. They stayed solid at 77% the entire time.

I'll keep experimenting, but the early indication suggests it might be a problem with the "Probe" skin. Is that possible?
Old 25th October 2001, 18:14   #5
KrunkedUp187

Send a message via ICQ to KrunkedUp187 Send a message via AIM to KrunkedUp187 Send a message via Yahoo to KrunkedUp187
prolly b/c its a beta

In the FAQ it tells u that WA3's code is not optimized yet . U can bet it will eat up resourses, especially with the alpha-blended skins.

Alpha Pi Lambda Fraternity... never dry, baby...

i get laid more than fritos - Ludacris
Old 25th October 2001, 19:06   #6
Aspiration

Re: prolly b/c its a beta

Quote:
Originally posted by KrunkedUp187
U can bet it will eat up resourses, especially with the alpha-blended skins.
Ahhh, yes...never considered that. Thanks.
Old 25th October 2001, 22:23   #7
}}Killer Wombat{{
Banned

Location: England, currently residing in Wales, soon to be Arizona
ive seen wianmp 3 use all of my processor (dead on 100%) for like 10 mins, but this was squashed when i killed it, which took another exagerated 10mins
Old 26th October 2001, 01:49   #8
Aspiration

Quote:
Originally posted by }}Killer Wombat{{
ive seen wianmp 3 use all of my processor (dead on 100%) for like 10 mins, but this was squashed when i killed it, which took another exagerated 10mins
Same here...
Old 26th October 2001, 04:41   #9
KrunkedUp187

Send a message via ICQ to KrunkedUp187 Send a message via AIM to KrunkedUp187 Send a message via Yahoo to KrunkedUp187
yo, if ur CPU is burning out like that, somptins up... what speeds do u kick. 1.8 wit 256 runs fine. even on POS ME.

Alpha Pi Lambda Fraternity... never dry, baby...

i get laid more than fritos - Ludacris
Old 26th October 2001, 16:12   #10
james
Forum PFY
(Major Dude)

Dunno, I'm used to Access 97 (yeah, i know, i know) grabbing 100% of my CPU for no apparent reason (mind you, it does give it back when I wnat it) (and this is on NT4)
My point being ():
It (WA3bLove) may well use 100% CPU, but as long as this doesn't freeze the rest of your system, no probs! (ish)
It DEFINETLY shouldn't steadily drain GDI/USER resources, but yes, it could well eat up a massive chunk! (and then give it back at shutdown)

James

He uses statistics like a drunk uses lamp-posts: for support, not illumination.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion