Old 10th June 2004, 03:28   #1
Teqnilogik

New Velvet Revolver CD Copy-Protected!

The new Velvet Revolver CD, "Contraband", is copy-protected using SunnComm's copy protection. This is just one of three copy-protected CDs that BMG is releasing in the U.S. this summer. The two other CDs being released by BMG with copy-protection are:

Angie Stone's "Stone Love" - out July 6
Yung Wun's "Dirty Thirstiest" - out July 20

I will not be purchasing this or any of the CDs above. Ashame to since I was considering purchasing the Velvet Revolver disc. Not anymore. I refuse to buy any CDs with copy protection. I am a loyal buyer of CDs, I love buying CDs to get the best quality but not when labels place restrictions such as this on me.
Teqnilogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 03:56   #2
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Sad for them a full week before it hit the stores it was already on Kazaa and the other P2P networks, posted on websites and every damn one of them are making fun of BMG's 'copy protection'. Seems it is about as worthless as the other forms that have been used in the past - it did absolutely no good at all. I found 320k copies of it without even trying.

Instead of not buying it alot of people should run out and buy it then return it to the stores repeatedly telling them it's not working right in your player and you want your money back. If large amounts of people do this they'll change their minds quick. I plan on buying at least 50 copies from local retailers than returning each and every copy for this reason and have done so in the past.

It is in all essence a defective CD so treat it as such. Take it home, copy it to cassette and return it.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 04:02   #3
Teqnilogik

Nice idea, LOL. I was considering just picking up the disc to play around with it myself and see how bad this copy protection is. I've never encountered a copy protected disc so I'd like to see just how bad BMG's copy protection is.
Old 10th June 2004, 05:14   #4
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by MegaRock
Sad for them a full week before it hit the stores it was already on Kazaa and the other P2P networks, posted on websites and every damn one of them are making fun of BMG's 'copy protection'.
Heh...One of the last days of school (About May 25th), I had a friend who had a couple Velvet Revolver songs on his iPod, and the quality wasn't stream-like; It sounded like they were ripped right off the CD, and it wouldn't be until nearly 3 weeks until the CDs do finally get released in stores...I don't know if they really were ripped, but I guess they sure as hell were floating around...

I'm going to borrow my cousin's copy and see if I can fuck around and see what to get as well...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 05:54   #5
Teqnilogik

Apparently it is easy to get around the copy-protection used on the CD. Read this article. It discusses how the copy protection works, its weaknesses, and how to exploit those weaknesses.

Analysis of the MediaMax CD3 Copy-Prevention System

It's funny how all these audio CD protections coming out are so easy to get around. On one protection a felt-tip pen can be used to get around it and now this one is as simple as pressing in a button to bypass. The labels should just get used to the idea that people who pirate are going to pirate whether or not protection is there or not. DVD videos are protected by encryption but does that stop people from putting them on the Internet? No. Duh.

What's even more funny is I have to resort to a pirater's methods of getting around CD protection just so I can have legal digital copies on my computer to put on my iPod! Oh the irony...
Old 10th June 2004, 21:19   #6
Teqnilogik

I'd just like to follow up and say that I did buy the CD and the copy protection is pretty much non-existent. As long as you disable autoplay in XP the copy protection will not kick in. As soon as the CD is inserted if autoplay is on it will install a software driver that will prevent you from copying/ripping the CD. Another trick is to just hold shift in when inserting the CD. Holding shift in disables autoplay for the inserted CD. To disable it permanently download Tweak UI for XP.
Old 10th June 2004, 21:50   #7
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
how do you disable autoplay in '98?

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 22:08   #8
MegaRock
Forum King

Let's all give a big hand to BMG for such a great technology ... NOT!

Tune In Now!
Old 10th June 2004, 23:25   #9
mikm
Major Dude

Anybody find the name of the CD ironic? Any copy-protection scheme is futile and the resources spent developing it will always turn out to be huge waste of money as it will be cracked somehow.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 23:59   #10
MegaRock
Forum King

Kinda like the Korn video "Ya'll Want A Single". Sheds a whole new light on the recording industry and how artists REALLY feel.

All I wonder is if everyone hates them so much why the hell are they even still in business?

Viva La Piracy!

Tune In Now!
Old 11th June 2004, 00:22   #11
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Teqnilogik
I was SO looking forward to pirating whoever the fuck these two are
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 00:36   #12
devils night

Re: New Velvet Revolver CD Copy-Protected!

Quote:
Originally posted by Teqnilogik
The new Velvet Revolver CD, "Contraband", is copy-protected using SunnComm's copy protection. This is just one of three copy-protected CDs that BMG is releasing in the U.S. this summer. The two other CDs being released by BMG with copy-protection are:

I will not be purchasing this or any of the CDs above. Ashame to since I was considering purchasing the Velvet Revolver disc. Not anymore. I refuse to buy any CDs with copy protection. I am a loyal buyer of CDs, I love buying CDs to get the best quality but not when labels place restrictions such as this on me.
umm please explain this too me again you were going to buy this cd becuase you like the band but your not going to buy it now because it has copy protection. That's pretty sad man

One thing i like to add i bought the new Nickelback CD and knew it was copy protected

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 02:22   #13
MegaRock
Forum King

I supported the band by seeing them in concert on the first stop of their tour (Saint Louie!!!!) and bought two shirts and some other assorted crap. I got the CD from the promoter but had I not I would have pirated it just for the sheer fact that BMG acted like hot shit with their copy protection and were so dumb as to not realize it was already on the net two weeks before it hit the stores.

I know supporting the band means buy concert tickets and merchandise. They don't get shit from CD sales.

Tune In Now!
Old 11th June 2004, 02:27   #14
Teqnilogik

Quote:
Originally posted by deeder7001
how do you disable autoplay in '98?
To disable autoplay in Win98 do the following:

Start > Settings > Control Panel

Double-click System

Click the Device Manager tab

Expand CD-ROM

Click on the drive you want to disable autoplay for and click the Properties button

Click the Settings tab

Uncheck Auto insert notification and click OK

Autoplay will now be disabled for that drive.

@Devils Night:
Yeah I realized it was a stupid stance now which is why I went out and bought the CD. My thinking was if I didn't buy it that would discourage record labels from putting out copy protected albums. But then I started thinking that wouldn't be the case because they would continue to blame the sales drops on piracy anyway. Also I saw how many people were purchasing the new Velvet Revolver album. My local Target is completely sold out of it and have raincheck slips out in the album's place on the shelves. So it's pretty popular so obviously people aren't minding the "copy protection warning" on the front of the CD. I'm now glad I bought the album, it's excellent. The copy protection is not bad either, it's only software-based which is fine with me since that isn't going to break compatibility with any players.
Old 13th June 2004, 11:30   #15
lostonline
Where am I?
(Major Dude)

If you get one of these CDs juast copy it but leave off the data track then you can use it in your PC without it trying to install drivers. This is poor copy protection, others are much more of a pain.

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
--
Homer Simpson
lostonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2004, 16:52   #16
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by m²k
Anybody find the name of the CD ironic?
I was about to say that

Best thing to do about this CD is download it. Or make sure you copy it for as many people as possible. Mail them a copied version

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2004, 17:46   #17
sgtfuzzbubble011

I just remembered a good idea I read here not that long ago... Don't remember who posted it, though.

Rip the entire cd to your hard drive. Rename all the tracks and files to *.txt and open them in your favorite text editor. When it asks you if you want the characters converted to null terminators, click OK. Save and exit. Then fax all 650+ megabytes worth of those text files to BMG.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2004, 04:41   #18
blindk

regardless of how 'good' you think your copy protection is, all it takes is a 15 year old kid with enough time on his hands.

dvd encryption anyone?
blindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2004, 13:15   #19
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I heard that you can burn the original 3 times, but can you burn from the copies?
Flawed logic indeed.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist