Old 16th November 2004, 19:45   #1
PorkShanker

Winamp 5 spectrum analyzer question

Hey guys. Newbie here. Before I ask my question, I did do a search. All results dated back to around 2001 or 2002 and only pertained to Winamp 3's beta version.

My problem is as follows:

I use Winamp 5.05 and I use the Classic Skin. When I play an mp3, the spectrum analyzer bounces really slowly and looks like it's struggling to work. But when I turn on MSN Messenger, the spectrum analyzer bounces normally and smoothly. I don't even have to be logged into MSN. As long as I have that running in the background, Winamp's spectrum analyzer smooths out. If I set the preferences in Winamp to a higher framerate and make the bars fall fast, it's ok but when I have MSN on, it's way too fast. Can anyone help me out? The sound quality is still fine, the music plays perfectly, it's just this little thing bugs me a little.

I have a:
P4 1.8GHz
256MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
Creative Labs Live!

I've tried the latest drivers as well as older drivers for both the sound card and video card. Any help is appreciated.

-porkshanker
PorkShanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2004, 17:55   #2
PorkShanker

Ok I figured it out. It's fixed. Now I am happy.
PorkShanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2004, 19:29   #3
plexdude

Quote:
Originally posted by PorkShanker
Ok I figured it out. It's fixed. Now I am happy.
Details please as to what you did to fix the problem. I have the same issue and have had this problem for a long time now.

System Specs:

Intel Wolfdale Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz 1600MHz FSB
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev 1.1
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 RAM: F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B
Creative X-Fi Titanium
eVGA GeForce 260 GTX
Klipsch 4.1 THX speakers
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
plexdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2004, 11:43   #4
plexdude

Okay... I would have added posts to my original thread but it all got bashed to hell so much to the point where the topic got completely lost in oblivion. One of the mods locked it so can't post there... anywayz,

In reponse to that mod's suggestion about checking for 3rd party mp3 inputs/outputs and what not, I don't use them. I stick with all the ones that are included in the Winamp download (full version to be exact). As I said before, I have a hunch that this laggy spectrum analyzer behavior may be specific to nForce motherboard chipsets as I have not seen this behavior on several boards that utilize other chipsets instead.

Oh, and I must add that I've seen this behavior long before SP2 ever came out so I really don't think any service packs have anything to do with it. Besides, any drivers that are installed by Windows I scrap if the manufacturer has one of their own. I update just about everything on my computer ritually to make sure I have the latest throughout my system.

System Specs:

Creative X-Fi Titanium
eVGA GeForce 260 GTX
Klipsch 4.1 THX speakers
Old 3rd December 2004, 12:09   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes, but PorkShanker :/ already said that it was caused by the SP2 integrated install, and the problem went away when he installed SP2 separately.

So, it's more than likely to be a bug in the SP2 integrated install, and not necessarily a mobo/sound/video driver related issue.

And if that's the case, then there's absolutely nothing that anyone here can do about it :/
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2004, 19:31   #6
plexdude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Yes, but PorkShanker :/ already said that it was caused by the SP2 integrated install, and the problem went away when he installed SP2 separately.

So, it's more than likely to be a bug in the SP2 integrated install, and not necessarily a mobo/sound/video driver related issue.

And if that's the case, then there's absolutely nothing that anyone here can do about it :/
Well if that's true then an integrated install of SP1 also has this problem but it is still narrowed down to using a board with an nForce chipset (nForce2 in my case). I say this because the only type of Windows install I do are integrated ones. Guess I'll have to deal with this little annoyance indefinitely. I have noticed this issue regarless of which integrated Service Pack I use. Just to note, I've used slipstreamed installs on various motherboards with various chipsets and my nForce2 board is the only one to exhibit this problem.

System Specs:

Creative X-Fi Titanium
eVGA GeForce 260 GTX
Klipsch 4.1 THX speakers
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support