Old 17th July 2007, 20:34   #1
plexdude

Choppy Shoutcast Playback with Nforce Networking Controller

After a fair amount of troubleshooting, I've come to the conclusion that the nForce networking controller (in my case on 2 different generation boards; Abit NF7-S v2.o (nForce2) and DFI LP UT NF4 Expert (nForce 4) doesn't stream certain shoutcast stations as nicely as a normal PCI NIC such as the D-Link DFE-530TX+. I've tried numerous different nForce chipset drivers on each of the two above mentioned boards with no success in relieving the problem. With the nForce NICs, stations such as http://213.211.48.47:8000 constantly have to re-buffer during the stream as if the NIC has some problem in keeping up with the data being sent. But streaming this same station using the D-Link PCI NIC instead results in flawless playback. Has anybody else here noticed this problem with their nForce boards?
plexdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 17:59   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

never used my nforce4 controller.

the hardware based firewall on the nforce4 controller is buggy and useless so I suggest you to not install that stuff.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 02:38   #3
plexdude

Even if I opted not to install nvidia's Network Access Manangement software (which I never have installed), does the controller still has some kind of firewall functionality in the hardware that cannot be avoided or worked around in any way?

These nforce network controllers seem to work perfectly fine for everything else I do... just certain shoutcast streams are problematic.

I'd like to add also, that as indicated in my original post, I've duplicated this problem with an nforce2 motherboard as well... and if I'm not mistaken, nvidia never integrated any kind of firewall functionality on nForce2's networking controller... it wasn't until the nForce3 and/or nForce4 when they started implementing that "feature".

System Specs:

Intel Wolfdale Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz 1600MHz FSB
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev 1.1
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 RAM: F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B
Creative X-Fi Titanium
eVGA GeForce 260 GTX
Klipsch 4.1 THX speakers
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Old 19th July 2007, 03:17   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
It could be because of the long constant stream of data. You may not notice it on a download or anything, but since you listen to a stream you do.

A few things to try:
Prefences > Plugins > Input > Double Click "Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder..." > Streaming Tab > uncheck "Enable SHOUTcast title streaming support"
Also, while back on the Input plugin list, make sure there are no other MP3 decoder plugins line MP3Pro or mpg123 listed (if there is, kill them)

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 21:46   #5
plexdude

Thanx sawg... your tip for unchecking "Enable SHOUTcast title streaming support" seems to make streams work better with the nForce network controller. This is, however, just a workaround to the problem but I really do appreciate your help on the matter. Now, does the real fix for this problem lie in the responsibility of the Nullsoft team or nVidia's nforce driver crew? Better yet, I wonder if this issue is even resolvable through and updated nvidia driver or if the hardware is so poorly designed that no driver will ever be able to cure it.

Any further thoughts or comments are more than welcome.

System Specs:

Intel Wolfdale Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz 1600MHz FSB
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev 1.1
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 RAM: F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B
Creative X-Fi Titanium
eVGA GeForce 260 GTX
Klipsch 4.1 THX speakers
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Old 19th July 2007, 22:39   #6
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
The issue would need be resolved by nVidia. SHOUTcast works fine on every other network controller out there.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support