Old 7th February 2002, 22:50   #1
John Vance

Problem Launching From IE 6

Using WinAmp 2.78, and IE 6 on Win 98.

I click on a link, the file is downloaded to a temporary location, and then WinAmp launches, but does not play the file.

Instead of one entry in the playlist, there are three:

1. Temporary
2. Internet
3. <filename>

None of the entries are playable.

I'm guessing that IE is handing off the location of the temp file with spaces embedded, and WinAmp is parsing
c:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\<filename> as three space-delimited file names.

Any ideas, llama-dudes? Is there a workaround, or do I have to wait for IE 6 sp1 or WinAmp 2.79?

IE 5 doesn't have this problem.

John Vance
John Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2002, 23:05   #2
QuantumMonkey

Instead of left-clicking on the link, try right-clicking and select 'Save Target As...' from the menu. Then tell IE to put it somewhere easily accessible (e.g. your Desktop). Finally, drag the file onto your Winamp playlist or press <L> to get the 'Open File(s)' dialog.

Regards,

QuantumMonkey
QuantumMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2002, 23:43   #3
John Vance

I appreciate your input, QuantumMonkey, and I'm sure your advice will work. However, I need to elaborate here.

I am a developer for a Web applications company whose clients are in the entertainment industry. Many of the users of our site are unsophisticated computer users. While your solution is fine for me, these users would be lost by the time you said "right-click."

Any of the following would, however, be extremely useful in mollifying our clients:

An authoritative explanation of what's going wrong ("IE 6 is failing to enquote the filename when it passes it off to WinAmp")

A workaround that would make everything Just Work when a link is left-clicked.

Such a workaround could include modifying how the server is sending down the file. Any information on peculiar header settings needed to make IE 6 Work Right would be appreciated.

An authoritative statement that no such workaround exists.

Also useful would be "Hey, it works for me!" or "I'm having that problem too."

Thanks,

John Vance
Old 7th February 2002, 23:57   #4
QuantumMonkey

OK I'm not entirely sure about this one, so maybe somebody can confirm/deny it for me.

Try creating a playlist file with the track you want to play in it. Upload this playlist to the server along with the track, but link to the playlist instead of the track. Then when you click on the link to the playlist, Winamp opens it, downloads the track and plays it.

That said, you'd have to make sure the playlist entry was a full URL to the file (e.g. 'http://123.456.78.90/files/file1.mp3') as opposed to something like 'file1.mp3'. You can edit a playlist entry by doing a <Ctrl> + <E> when it's selected.

Hope this helps,

QuantumMonkey
QuantumMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2002, 00:32   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

1) Empty the internet cache. Maybe it's too full or corrupted.

(close browser,
rt click IE desktop icon -> properties
Temporary Internet Files -> delete)

2) Make sure Winamp is properly associated with playlist files.
Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Filetypes: unselect PLS & M3U from extension list
Close Prefs
Close Winamp
Reopen Winamp
Prefs -> Filetypes: reselect PLS & M3U

3) If this doesn't fix it, then maybe some other player has messed up your file associations/registry entries (eg. RealPlayer, QuickTime, MMJB, WMP, etc)

Check Windows Folder Options -> File Types tab
Scroll down for & hi-lite Winamp Playlist File (PLS, M3U)
Click "Edit"
Make sure the default action is: Play in Winamp
App used command line: "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe" "%1"
"Use DDE" should NOT be checked.
MIME (Content Type) could be any of:
audio/scpls | audio/x-scpls | audio/mpegurl | audio/x-mpegurl | audio/mpeg | audio/m3u (it all depends on whether both PLS & M3U are associated, the Windows OS, browser version, and Winamp's mood at the time)

It actually sounds reminiscent of the old RealPlayer XPL Bug, as outlined here:
How to Unassociate RP8 from Streaming Playlists & Make Winamp the Default Instead

If the problems persist.....
Rather than type it all again, I've just replied to a similar problem here,
so check that thread out for further help/fixes.
(ie. follow all the links, eg. this one)

Good luck & Let me know how ya get on.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2002, 03:05   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

hello? you still there?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2002, 17:30   #7
John Vance

The test machine did have Real Player 8 on it, and it was a bitch to force it to not intercept the mp3 and play it. I sort of followed the steps you layed out, but then I got pissed off and uninstalled RP8, then set the system file types to use WinAmp for audio/mpeg and set WinAmp to play mp3s.

It just didn't strike me that this could be the problem, because WinAmp pops up just fine now, but with the filename mangled as described above. It seems more like there's a miscommunication between IE 6 and WinAmp. On the same system, fetching the same file from our site, Netscape 6.2 hands off to WinAmp flawlessly. WinAmp isn't listed under Preferences -> helper applications so it must be referencing the system file types.

But, I will go back and follow your instructions, and check out the registry settings. Maybe something's phucked there.

Thanks,

John Vance
Old 8th February 2002, 19:18   #8
John Vance

Solution

Well, I feel sheepish.

The problem was in the File Types definition for audio/mpeg.

The "Application used to perform action"
was "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe"
with no additional parameter.

I added on "%1" and everthing works now. I've seen this problem before with Microsoft Office - the file name must be quoted, or spaces are interpreted as field separators.

Thanks,

John Vance
Old 28th March 2004, 23:26   #9
Leroy

I have a similar problem launching Shoutcast "Tune In" links from IE6 on two separate computers with XP Pro SP1, IE6 (both with all the current patches), Winamp 5.03, DSL, and Linksys router. Icecast links lauch fine. Live 365 links also launch fine. However, Shoutcast "Tune In" links don't. From Shoutcast, IE tries to download the link and reports it cannot download the pls file then reports that the file is unavailable and to try later, rather than opening the link in Winamp. As a workaround, I can copy the Shoutcast "Tune ln" shortcut and paste it into Winamp Open Url Box then listen to the station.

I have cleared the browser cache (many times), verified the associations for PLS and M3u are correct. Turned off the association for pls within Winamp, closed and reopened Winamp then reassociated pls(with agent off). Verified the various registry entries. Uninstalled and reinstalled Winamp 5. Set "Play in Winamp" to be the default under the file type pulldown in folder options. Turned off DDE (but it keeps turning itself back on).

I am at a loss after reading dozens of posts with suggestions that did not correct my installations.

Any suggestions?
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support