Old 10th April 2010, 13:44   #1
blushark

automatic recognition of album name stopped working

Hi! This might seem a bit complicated question, but please bear with me.

Short version: by adjusting the advanced title formatting options I managed to enable Winamp to recognize album name just from the folder name songs were in, and display it in the playlist for mp3 files which have no ID3 tags whatsoever. By my further adjustments Winamp lost this ability. I would like to get it back, but don't know what it was I did exactly.

The full explanation:
Most of my mp3s are untagged, but they're sorted in folders named "Artist - Album - Year". All tracks have similar name templates of Artist - Track - Songname.mp3.
For those that are ID3 tagged, I use custom name formatting that checks for ID3 tags and uses them if they exist, and if not, just outputs standard filename in the playlist.
This worked as expected in previous versions of Winamp.

However, I recently re-installed Windows and got the latest Winamp. By playing around trying to reconstruct my previous advanced title settings I found that somehow at one point Winamp automatically recognized the album name and year for all my untagged mp3s and displayed it in the playlist pretty close to what I adjusted.
I did some further tweaking of mostly cosmetic nature and in the process Winamp lost this great ability!

I was wondering if anyone can help with reconstructing what the magic title format was, because I can't find how winamp did it, either in it's options or by googling around.

Here's the current format I use. The "magic" one was pretty close to it.

[%artist% - ][ $num(%tracknumber%,2) - ]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%)) ~~~ ['('%album%][ / %year%')']

This outputs: Artist - 01 - Track ~~~ (Album / 2000)

My theory is that Winamp compares the track name with the folder name the track is in, substracts the artist name from the folder name and gets the "Album - Year" part which it displays in the playlist. However I don't know how to activate this anymore.

The interesting bit is that it displayed my tildes ~~~ and () brackets from my title formatting string to enclose the autodetected Album-Year inside of, but doesn't display the tracknumber which is just a part of the filename (so it means it actively removes it).

I just can't figure it out.

Thanks!
blushark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 15:13   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

What Metadata Reading setting is checkmarked in Prefs -> Media Library -> Local Media -> Watch Folders -> Configure?

Your ATF syntax would require "Smart" to be checkmarked.

Though you could also probably checkmark "No guessing" and just use:

$filepart(%filename%) ~~~ %folder%
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 15:29   #3
blushark

That does explain how it figures out the names in the first place. However, I checked the settings and "smart" is active. That means something else is preventing Winamp from using this information, which is probably my custom ATF.

What would I have to use as ATF so that it reads album/year ID3 tag if they exist, and if not, guess them from the folder name?
I know I could just use IF function, but I'd need to parse the folder name first and remove artist name, and I don't know how to do it even if it is possible. Just using %folder% wouldn't be convenient as it would show the artist name twice per playlist entry and make whole playlist just way too crowded.

Thank you very much for your answer!
Old 10th April 2010, 16:23   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

"Use library title info for Playlist Item Formatting" should also be checkmarked in: Prefs -> Media Library -> Local Media ->Options tab.

You'll probably need to use a much more advanced ATF

http://media.winamp.com/main/help/50/atf/atf.htm

I'll have a think, but if anyone else can suggest something in the meantime, then be my guest.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 13:15   #5
blushark

It was checked already.
However, I noticed I had media library problems, so after a restart of windows and winamp, deleting old ML info and rescanning all the mp3s, I got it working.
The ATF was fine, the ML was the problem. Now it works as expected, %album% tag is figured out from the folder name.

Thanks a lot for all your kind help!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
album name, auto detect