Old 29th November 2010, 12:05   #121
tmielke

DrO: But what if I don't want to install the media library and only have mp3s to rate? Sure, you might say: how could somebody not want to have the media library? From a Winamp view seemingly irrational. But from a perspective of Winamp as just one tool among many I just don't like the duplication of information and the problems that might arise from it.
tmielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 12:33   #122
DrO

without the library, ratings won't work anyway with what is currently available as it has always been down to the media library to store such things (you can't store something when there's nothing to store it in which has led to the bitching about losing ratings). hence this is why the upcoming UI option has been implemented as an option in the library preferences as that is what controls it.

i suppose what should happen is if the library isn't present then Winamp should try to save the rating using the recently completed "rating" field IPC_SET_EXTENDED_FILE_INFO(W) support.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 12:46   #123
tmielke

That would be perfect, indeed. I mean if Winamp discovers that it has no media library when the user tries to rate a song, there should be a message box asking whether or not saving in ID3 tags should be enabled. But I was under the impression that ID3 ratings are handled by the media library solely...
Old 29th November 2010, 14:17   #124
DrO

should have something in place for the next release which will do a one time prompt if no ml is detected allowing a default action to be set (to save or not to save) though ini option can be changed if needed (will be noted in the release notes for the next release).

so that should cover the non-ml scenario or people using lite installs. also fixed things up to read the rating from the file if the ml isn't present as well (not happening before). hopefully all will work ok, if not i guess it can be resolved in a version after it (seeing as ratings never worked without the ml since 2003, a little while longer isn't that much of an issue, heh).

-daz
Old 29th November 2010, 15:30   #125
tmielke

The way it should be...

Anyway, as I already have done the modifications to the tray rating plugin, I think it won't hurt to make it available here. I added a notification to better use the original tray rating pugin, if writeratings == 1.

I don't know if I should add an installer and submit it to the plugin download page...
Attached Files
File Type: zip ID3TrayRateBinaries.zip (212.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 29th November 2010, 16:39   #126
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmielke View Post
Ok, writeratings=1 in gen_ml.ini worked after installing the 5.59 beta (apart from the play count going nuts in the tag and getting a crash message on closing the program).
please report this bug in detail in the 5.59 beta thread!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 16:54   #127
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmielke View Post
Anyway, as I already have done the modifications to the tray rating plugin
why not just have it officially rolled into the plug-in - that way it saves on duplication of plug-ins and i'm never too keen in seeing two submissions of virtually the same plug-in on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
please report this bug in detail in the 5.59 beta thread!
as it's clear that a 3rd party plug-in is involved then the bug report wouldn't fit in with the requirements of the first post in the beta thread i.e. only bugs with clean installs.

-daz
Old 29th November 2010, 16:59   #128
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
as it's clear that a 3rd party plug-in is involved then the bug report wouldn't fit in with the requirements of the first post in the beta thread i.e. only bugs with clean installs.

-daz
based on what he actually wrote, its not clear to me he had the problem with the plugin installed/enabled, but IF he did you're right of course.

--
Old 29th November 2010, 18:06   #129
tmielke

On that computer (Vista) I checked the beta before messing around with the tray rate plugin. But I had other plugins sitting in the install directory, so I can't guarantee for a clean installation. I remember selecting quite a bunch of install options -- somewhat less than earlier on a XP machine, where I installed the beta without ml. Maybe that caused it? I also had an error 85 "Object not found" or something like this when the ad was about to be dispayed in the media library (German feed).

I'm far from having a clean & controlled test environment -- rather a real life one... But someone definitely should have a look over the play count code, if Sinatra could confirm the play count corruption?
Old 29th November 2010, 18:15   #130
tmielke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
why not just have it officially rolled into the plug-in - that way it saves on duplication of plug-ins and i'm never too keen in seeing two submissions of virtually the same plug-in on the site.
Ruzzz preferred the "id3 tag rate as separate plugin" scenario, and he may be even more reluctant to integrate, if coming Winamp releases make my work completely obsolete. Under these circumstances, the additional work of having a config screen wouldn't pay off, I think.
Old 30th November 2010, 03:14   #131
MrSinatra
Forum King

5.6 is now out.

i can't confirm the bug, b/c i don't use playcount tags or even really follow it in the ML. i'd like winamp to support writing playcounts to tags, but it doesn't yet. still, if you found a bug you could install 5.6 clean and publish your steps to reproduce.

--
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:29   #132
tmielke

Ok, I have submitted a v0.6 now. Add it to the plugin collection, if you find it worthy.
Old 26th January 2011, 07:30   #133
zopfan

I, and my friends, strongly advocate to include ratings in the tags itself (least, least, least: give the user an option to do this). Logics:

1. If the ratings were included in the tag itself, then if we gave ratings thru Media Monkey or any other tag editor/player, all other players would be able to read that rating and act accordingly.

2. If ratings are embedded in the database only (and if the ratings were left just in the database lying in my PC), how do my mobile/ipod would know the ratings and play accordingly.

3. If the windows installation or database of the tag editor programme is erased/OS reinstalled, or no longer available or even if the concerned track is renamed or modified, thousands of rating tags would be lost. And to put that much effort again is beyond my wits at least.

4. Even if the rated tracks were given to a friend, or downloaded from net, it wasn't a bad idea for the new user to have them rated already to some other body's choice. Of course, he still can rate/change ratings according to his own taste. Because same efforts are needed on the user's part while changing rating or giving ratings afresh.
zopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 07:49   #134
MrSinatra
Forum King

um, u can do this.

see my sig.

--
Old 28th January 2011, 11:43   #135
zopfan

Where is the Play count?

Can anyone pls tell where does winamp store its playcount- in the tags or in the database?

If in the tags, then how can we see the same because Alt+3 doesn't show this field anywhere. Even I've checked the same in MP3Tag.

If in the database. Then how can we find and check the same in the database?
zopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 18:16   #136
MrSinatra
Forum King

winamp only keeps the info in the winamp DB, not in POPM or PCNT. that means the info does not persist.

--
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist