Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Closed Thread
Old 11th November 2000, 20:51   #81
Wintermute

And i wan't a option to sort my list with the Priority:
Artist - Album - Tracknumber - Song
WITHOUT changing my Playlist which show:
Artist - Song - Album
So it would be possible to keep album's in the correct listening order!
Old 11th November 2000, 21:40   #82
chrisjh

when playing off a CD (an mp3 cd), there should be an option to copy the file-to-play (or files on the playlist) to the harddrive.. sometimes my mp3 cd's skip lots and lots and i have to copy them to the harddrive to play them.. maybe in a playlist it could be copying the next song or next few songs while listening to the current one?

Old 11th November 2000, 23:09   #83
KingNothing

Send a message via AIM to KingNothing
How bout makin it so that ANI cursors can be used?

------------------
I'm left with just a name.
Where's my crown?
Old 12th November 2000, 02:13   #84
flatmatt

In response to previous messages:

Choosing your own AVS background would really mess up a lot of presets. If a preset-maker wants to change the background color of their preset, they can just use the fadeout to the color.

Also, you CAN use animated cursors, but you have to change the extension to CUR, which really screws it up if you want to edit the cursors after you have them in the WSZ file.

Old 13th November 2000, 10:54   #85
peppy

yes, an alarm clock would be great. Auto-start might actuallly help get me to class on time. That, and perhaps some Vivarin pills! :-) :-)

Old 13th November 2000, 23:18   #86
Beday00

Personally I think support for large playlists when it comes to sorting and random options would be nice. Right now it only sorts and chooses between only a few playlist entries.

Old 14th November 2000, 00:18   #87
SimmyKMW

I think another option, that has probably been mentioned, is the ability to sort the songs in the playlist other than by title or artists. Ex: Sort songs by Album, Track, Date, or Genre.

Just a thought!

Old 14th November 2000, 04:28   #88
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

You guys need to improve the CD visualization.

I'm a member now!

------------------
IM me on AIM at Flat Mattheus.
Old 14th November 2000, 05:52   #89
KingNothing

ok.. i got another one...

what about being able to use pdd or pdf pictures for skinning something like 30% transparency?
Old 14th November 2000, 06:51   #90
YTPete

A few more ideas... not *entirely* sure that none of these are hidden away somewhere in Winamp already...

* The 'dynamic playlist' idea where playlists contain a list of *folders* only. I think it would be ok to only refresh the list right when it is loaded.

* Let the playlist display items by file name instead of embedded name.

* Add files by searching for file name or embedded tag.

* The scrollbar slider in the playlist window really should be proportional... in fact, it should act more like a Windows slider in other respects, too. I know this would mean changing the skin format a bit, but it would be nice.

* Delete skins from within Winamp.

* Set a pause length between songs. Since some songs already have pauses at the beginning/end, perhaps some sort of amplitude detector could be implemented to make sure the perceived pause between songs is always the same. I guess this would have to be either (a) an optimized scan-ahead routine or (b) something that executes when a song is added and then stores a bit of hidden data in the playlist. Maybe this would make more sense as a plugin, but it could also be integrated with zero-pause into a single Winamp feature.

* FINALLY, is Winamp fully MMX-optimized for us users of slower computers? This would include the plugin interface if possible.

It's already a cool program, but any of that stuff would make it even better.

Old 17th November 2000, 00:32   #91
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

How did this drop off the front page? Oh, wait, it's my fault for posting responses to other stuff. Sorry!

------------------
-Begin Signature-

Visit <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/muzik_freekz" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.geocities.com/muzik_freekz</A>

-End Signature-
Old 17th November 2000, 00:56   #92
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

How about a playlist feature that will add all files in a directory not currently on the playlist? It takes me a while to figure out which files are missing, and if I just use a new list, I have to rearrange every file that starts with a number (i.e. 311 under T) and crap like that.

------------------
-Begin Signature-

-End Signature-
Old 17th November 2000, 01:06   #93
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

How did this drop off the front page? Oh, wait, it's my fault for posting responses to other stuff. Sorry!

------------------
-Begin Signature-

-End Signature-
Old 17th November 2000, 02:39   #94
Nbee

Maybe add a simple/advaned mode for used who don't like all the features ( the freatures are the fun part). You know like there is in icq.
Old 19th November 2000, 02:37   #95
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YTPete:
* Let the playlist display items by file name instead of embedded name.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can already do this by going to the input plugin preferences and changing the thing where you pick how it displays from %1 - %2 to %7.

Of course, it would be nice to do this with WMA's.
Old 19th November 2000, 10:18   #96
martindodo

I'd like an option to vary the gap between tracks, ie to set a default, and to be able to set it for lists - so that a dance list would have a gap of zero, while something mellow might have a second or three.

(or is this available/suggested and I missed it?)

Old 19th November 2000, 18:10   #97
Cina

WinAMP CDDB Query results should be stored in the file cdplayer.ini as many other CD players do. This will reduce internet queries, make other CD players find the album easily, ergo saves money.
Thanx

Yo, wamper
Cina

Old 19th November 2000, 22:21   #98
Someonebutnotme

Hmmm ... thats odd because the credits run fine on my athlon 700

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>After downloading Winamp 2.666, I want the old credits back. The new ones run at about 1 frame per second on my piece of crap 166 MHz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 20th November 2000, 01:09   #99
KingNothing

right along side the delete tab for skins, there should also be something like "Organize Skins" and "Rename"
Old 20th November 2000, 01:22   #100
hongsj

and plz keep it Small, Neat & Stable
as it was.
i believe you.

Old 20th November 2000, 15:51   #101
dutchsea

Two things:

1) Some kind of plug-inn that interacts with the radio tuner of a the Radio/TV-card (In my case a Miro PCTV Pro) in order to play "cable-" radio songs through WinAmp.

I have seen such a plug-inn a long time ago but can not find it any more.

2) Please use the common way for the WinAmp window title:

Winamp has a dynamic window title
-The window title for WinAmp not playing is: "Winamp"
-The window title for winamp play a *.wav file is e.g.: "21. Track08.wav - WinAmp"

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to check the window titles.

Most Programs with dynamic window titles start with the regular name followed by the alternating name.

e.g. "Microsoft Word - Document01"

WinAmp reverses this; for word this would look like:

e.g. "Document01 - Microsoft Word"

Some applications look for programs on the basis os the (first part) of the window title. If this changes all the time, like with winamp, the application does not work.
In that case I need to use a different player while a preffer Winamp.

So please use the common way for the WinAmp window title.

Old 21st November 2000, 11:13   #102
Zenter

I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet... Please add support for Enhanced CDs/HyperCDs/etc...

I use Winamp as my default CD player but I'm unable to play some of my favorite CDs because Winamp sees only the data on these types of discs.

Thanks!

Old 21st November 2000, 13:01   #103
AnotherWinAmpUser:)

A few wishes...

1. More adjustable frequencies in equalizer (yup, me too )

2. In the ID3 tag editor, a button that when you press it, it will rename the underlying file to "Artist - SongTitle" or to whatever format you choose.

3. In preferences\plugins\input\Nullsoft mpeg audio decoder, i've set the "title formatting" to something different than the default. Every time i setup a new version of winamp, i have to go and change this. It's not that important but i believe it would be nice if input/output/plugins retained their previous setup after installation of a new version.

4. Keep up the good work

Old 22nd November 2000, 07:29   #104
orionpidl

Ok I'm fedup with Micro$ofts new UIs I would like to see winamp expand to also play video. Not using M$'s codecs and such but built in solid MPEG playback like it play MP3s. The VidAmp plugin is nice but slow and requires WMP. WMP7 uses up too much desktop realestate as does Quicktime 4. I have played arround with BeOS lately and really liked there media playback but it didn't have a playlist. Keep up the good work and please remeber those of us who run NT 4 and W95.
P.S. NT doesn't seem to like the new versions please look in to this.

Old 23rd November 2000, 22:56   #105
kaptan_kepex

No mention of CD art or Lyrics support? (ID3V2 features). I can't believe it!!!

Seriously consider adding these to the next release - those who want these features ARE ALREADY USING OTHER MP3 PLAYERS! That's probably why you're not hearing much from your current users on the topic - if they really wanted the functionality, they'd already be gone!

Old 24th November 2000, 05:07   #106
e_dawg8

EQ with different center frequencies. There are 3 sliders dedicated to the 12-16 kHz region -- 3 sliders for 1/3 of an octave!! 14 kHz slider should be axed and reallocated to a deep bass (40 Hz) frequency to help users adjust the lumpy frequency response of multimedia subs which are designed for a boomy, loose bass. The 60-100 Hz region is horribly exaggerated, but the deep bass region (i.e., below 50 Hz) is weak due to natural rolloff (do you really think that tiny shoebox thingy has a naturally extended bass response?)

I propse a 40, 80, 170 Hz combination for the bass. Reducing the 80 Hz slider cures the boom, and raising the 40 Hz slider strengthens the deep bass.

Old 24th November 2000, 23:33   #107
joesmith

2 things (so far) I'd like to see in the next version of Winamp:

1) Ability to play Real Audio files.
2) Ability to save reference files or pointer files.

Example: Say I have a 20min long mp3 file but I want to listen to the 1st 10 min more then the last 10min yet I don't want to chop it off at the 10min mark or encode 2 separate files(1 chopped and 1 complete).
I want to be able to save a small pointer file which makes reference to the long file and end at the 10min mark with fade in fade out capabilities.

------------------
Old 26th November 2000, 04:58   #108
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Someonebutnotme:
Hmmm ... thats odd because the credits run fine on my athlon 700
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm... maybe that's because it's a 700!!! but, anyway, the new ones in 2.7 run fine, but they're not funny. At least add humor to them!!!

------------------
-Begin Signature-

-End Signature-
Old 26th November 2000, 07:11   #109
KingNothing

i'm not entirely sure that it's even possible, but it would be nice if winamp could buffer a song at the same time you are listening to it so that us unfortunate people with nothing better than a 56k modem dont have to wait up to 15 seconds for part of a song to buffer, listen to that part for about 15 seconds, and then wait for it to buffer again.

Like i said though, i dont even think its possible, and it would be very nice

------------------
I'm left with just a name.
Where's my crown?
Old 27th November 2000, 17:58   #110
Omnimax

I have three items for the wish list:

1. Make the shuffle option RE-shuffle after after repeating the playlist so you don't have to listen to the songs in the same order every time (after all, that's the point of shuffle isn't it?).

2. I wrote a program that allows me to advance to the next song without having to open Winamp. So make the title that pops up when you hover over the system tray icon update automatically when the song changes so that I can advance with my program but see the what song I have selected without moving the mouse away from the icon and then over it again.

3. A way to programmatically show and minimize Winamp so that you don't have to use the mouse in to open it and then close it again just to see the song name (those buttons are SO small!).

That is all for now as I'm sure you will be rushing right off to address my concerns and would not want to hold you up. Thanks a lot for a great player!

[This message has been edited by Omnimax (edited November 27, 2000).]

Old 28th November 2000, 06:03   #111
DeeLight

Here are some other features that I got from lots of people (some are quite old) I didn't have time to remove those that are already implemented. Sorry....

-------------------------------

This feature could be a plugin: An option to stop Winamp from playing songs while the user is away from his/her computer. It works like a screensaver since Winamp will pause when it detects a certain amount of time passing without any user input (mouse movement/keyboard input), and start playing again when it detects user input again. Purpose: Save the HD from further unnecessary wear and tear, and to prevent possible interference with apps such as Scandisk that might be programmed to run while the screensaver is running.

When there's just one item on the playlist, and you click on the first button of "- file" that item should be removed even if it's not selected.

Double size should double size the playlist too if the user wants to, like the Equalizer.

The repeat option should be divided into repeat 1 and repeat ALL. Maybe even more complex.

An option to browse an icon (.ICO) from the HD and not from winamp icons to apply to winamp files... as winamp default icons aren't very pretty. Would also be nice to be able to choose a different icon for different file types.

When buttons are pressed, the effect should be fluid , just as in sonique, it would look AWESOME on Winamp!

When using multiple instances of winamp, both (or more) windows should dock to snap to each other...

An option to auto-start playing the opened files at startup.

An option to lock the windows (main, pl, eq, mb), so that no matter which one you drag, all of them are dragged with it...

An option to divide the visualizartion into right and left.

The playlist's track clock shouldn't be linked to the one on main window, so that u can see the time elapsed and time remaining at the same time... An option to enable and disable this would be great.

An feature to duplicate selected files in playlist, so if you like much a song over others you'll have a greater chance of listening it.

Video support!!! avi, mpg, and maybe others... all displayed in a new sizable winamp window (Like the AVS), which can be auto-sized to the size of the video...

The ability for the playlist to show the album a song comes from as well as the artist. It would be nice to be able to load 3 albums from one artist, and easily be able to scan to the first track on the second album or similar things.

Using a docking mode like in ICQ. When moving ICQ all the way to a side or top of the screen, it stays in dock mode and moves everything else. And when you maximize a window, it doesn't cover ICQ, but stays just next to it. It's hard to explain. You need to have ICQ to understand this well. Anyway, Winamp should have this feature.

In another feature, it is said, that when Winamp is playing, no other sound are played in windows... Well, instead of hearing both sounds, Winamp could maybe pause the song, and let the other sound(s) play, and then start playing the song when the sound was played.

This is a technical feature that Winamp has yet to implement. When Winamp is playing a CD, it uses the wave output device anyway... that should be changed to to the CD device so that Winamp can play a CD while you hear other noises your computer makes or so that you can play a game with Winamp in the background.

Have a timer in Winamp, that could stop playing, and could even close the computer. It could be useful for those who listen to music before going to bed, and don't want their computer on all night;

A proper DDE support. There is currently a plugin that outputs the current song name via DDE, but there is no way to control Winamp via DDE, or to get any information other than the song name;

Skinable pulled down menus. Actually, everything should be skinnable. Preferences, about box, menus, ID3 info box and everything else. This could generate a some problems about the file size, but not that big difference;

Ability to use other types of images for skins. Maybe GIF, JPG or even better, PNG. This could make the skins, even unzipped, very small. If it could support PSD, it would be even better;

Multiple playlist windows support. For example, have one playlist window include a master list of all the music on your computer, each songs draggable to yet another playlist window which would include a filtered list of songs.

Instead of having a region.txt, there should be a transparent colour (pink) or a bitmap mask. This would be much simpler, and probably better;

This one isn't for winamp, but for it's skins. A plugin for Photoshop should be made, so that it creates all the layers and selections for a winamp skin, and eventually, once the skin in photoshop format is finished, separate the layers to create the necessary bitmaps for the skin. This plugin could be made by the Nullsoft team or anyone else;

When winamp is playing, no other sound are played in windows with old soundcards. It would be useful to hear them without a new soundcard. A lot of people would like to be notified when the receive a message from a friend on ICQ for instance;

In the minibrowser when you want to open a page you have to click on Open Internet Location, while the URL is displayed below. It would be useful if you could enter the URL directly there, just as in IE or Netscape. Also the URL could be displayed with bitmap fonts, like already mentioned for the playlist;

When you right click on the "Open" button at the main window there should be a feature to add to the playlist or another button in the Open dialog. When you normally open a file from there, all the previous songs in the playlist disappear;

When you click on the Control Buttons (Play, Stop, Pause, etc...) in the playlist and main window in windowshade mode, the function starts with the MouseDown event, and not with the Click event. This means that if you press it by error it will start anyway, without letting you move the mouse away to prevent whatever you pressed;

When adding files to the playlist, it should automatically remove repeated files if any are found. Or ask you if you want to remove all repeated files;

You should have the option to stop playing after a song is finished, when usually the next song in the playlist would start playing. You can do this by doing Ctrl-Click, but should also be available as an option, to do it all the time;

When you open a directory from Winamp itself, the songs are sorted, but when you open them from the playlist via the folder's context menu, they are not sorted, and there should be an option to sort them;

There should also be an option to choose the sorting type. File name, song title, artist, album or genre (if any). Winamp already doe's this but with not all of the options. It should have them all, and do it automatically;

An option in the skin browser to remove skins from the hard drive, and the same feature for the plugins as well;

Nitrane should be able to play at different speeds like many other MP3 players do. This can be done with a plugin, but could be better if it was in the player it-self;

When you add a song to the playlist, it should auto-scroll the end of it so that you can be able to select the song without needing to scroll in the playlist;

This idea is a little crazy, but cool. Alpha transparencies. Choose the amount of transparency so you can see trough winamp. When you work with winamp, it becomes normal and when you are working on another program, it could become transparent. If this could one day by made, it should have some other options to, but since it has almost no chance of being made there is no point in telling all the option it should have.

When you right click and choose a skin from the menu, the list doesn't show them all under Windows 95 if there is to much skins. It should do like in under Windows 98 or change it, to be more like Internet Explorer with an auto scroll when pass over the arrow or make two columns, like in Netscape;

When you close the playlist, it could close winamp instead of the playlist. Same thing with the equalizer and browser. All this could be configured, so you can use the playlist's close button to close the playlist or winamp;

Vertical seek bar in playlist, so when you use the playlist to listen music, you could seek in the song, not very precisely, but better than nothing;

When having two Winamp open, the should be a synchronized shortcut, so both buttons in both windows are pressed exactly at the same time. Like holding S and clicking on play would start both songs at the same time;

Shortcut key, to write a WAV file, so if you need one, you don't have to switch the output, but only press Ctrl+Shift+W, Ctrl+Alt+W or anything else;

Fixed and free-form skinning. The possibility to use normal skins and create a new, free-form skins for winamp, having all the same options, buttons, and visualization, but all placed in a different shape and size window;

The ability to change the fonts in the menus. Having the choice of standard fonts replacing MS Sans Serif. Fonts like: Arial, Tahoma and Verdana. They can all replace the MS Sans Serif font;

Make the preference menu 100% skinnable;

Make the skin browser have a multiple directories support. Also, for the skin browser, there could be a configuration, and the option to turn the directories off, which would show all the skins of the directories, without the directories;

The song name scrolls one character at a time and the animation is not smooth. To make the scrolling nicer, it should scroll one or two pixels at a time or let people chose, in the options as well as the speed, in milliseconds before each new move.

Make animation possible in skins, for some parts, by making a .bmp image with multiple images under each other;

Implement ID3 v2 Tags, so that we can use 256 characters for each section, and maybe even add some new ones, like the track number, pictures, lyrics and other useless things;

The ability to switch between click and double-click the icon in the tray to show the window;

A more complex file type menu in which we can choose an icon for each file type;

Having the choice of using TrueTpe fonts and Bitmap fonts in the Playlist;

The ability to export all the Equalizer presets, into a file;

Have a new font bitmaps, that supports upper and lower case, and maybe some special characters;

If the above is done, having the choice of upper, lower and mixed case;

A possibility to make different width fonts, like the "W" would need 5 pixels, and the "I" would need only 1 or 2, and having the ability to control this with a simple text file with numbers. First number is the first character and so on;

Use a single info files, called skininfo.txt or anything they want, that has all the needed sections in it. Like for the viscolor and the pledit, would have a section called [viscolor] and [pledit] or to be easier, [visColor] and [Playlist] they can decide. But everything would be in the skininfo.txt even the region;

Also, for the skininfo.txt files there could be a [About] section, in which the Author of the skin, can leave his name, nick, e-Mail and web address, and a comment, on one single line. All this would be available by clicking on Winamp's about button in a new category called "Skin" or "About Skin" or anything that could be better;

The Minibrowser, should have a skinnable scroller, like the Playlist;

The ability to minimize Winamp with any window, by having a minimize button next to every windowshade button, so that every window, looks the same in the close, windowshade and minimize area;

The Minibrowser can have all the same buttons as the mane window, with windowshade and minimize, as told above;

Having an option to use Winamp cursors in Windows. Just have to create 2-3 new cursors, and Windows could have the same cursors as Winamp;

Drag 'n Drop URL, could be very practical for ShoutCast. You would just have to Drag the link into Winamp;

In the preference menu, there are 5 sections under Plug-ins, so there should be 5 directories in the Plug-ing directory. Which would be easier to remove, add and manage them, especially for those who have a lot of them;

Instead of having waveOut, Gapless and Crossfading plugins, they should be included in the waveOut, as an option. So peoples can chose between crossfade, gapless and none;

-------------------------------

That's all
Old 28th November 2000, 16:45   #112
Radioactive

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigjohns97:
I would like to see a sound plugin (much like the direct sound plugin) that supports dolby surround. There are drivers for this becuase they are in such games like the phantom menace, by lucas arts. when i use these audio settings in the game it sound so much better than anything else i have ever heard. I have a sb128 with my front channel hook into my stereo reciever and rear channel into some pc speakers. with this dolby support you would be able to take winamp to a whole other level when listening to music at home it would be awsome. thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yipieee, I love you That would be great.
Old 29th November 2000, 15:32   #113
GregMo

Maybe this should be a plugin, maybe it is, or a lot of other maybes, but what about mpg video support? The mp3 traders of old, of which I have been a member for 5 years, are now heavily getting into music videos. Most that I've talked with use M$ media player to view them, but I want my winamp functionality of a repeating playlist! ;-) Of course, as with media player, it would need an option for full screen viewing, and something that media player doesn't have that I would love to see is a time remaing, or time lapsed display in the full screen view (configurable naturally).

As a side note, discussion boards are nice, but discussion lists are more widely used, or at least they are in my opinion. I may visit the winamp site once every 3 months but I do email all day long.

Anyways, if anyone out there knows of a means to play mpg videos with winamp if you could be so kind as to fill me in at GregMo@Eggheads.org it would be mucho appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg

Old 29th November 2000, 19:53   #114
Chief24

There should be one more thing added to that great list. I would like to see the playlist be able to detect new mp3's I add to a certain directory, and delete the songs off the playlist that aren't in that directory anymore.. other than great work guys.

Old 30th November 2000, 10:20   #115
Chris Williams

I have a suggestion for AVS that might not be overly difficult to add. I'm a big fan of Carlos Andres Osorio Gonzalez's WinAmp Lyrics plug-in. But as cool as it is to have each line of text highlighted as it appears in the song, what I'd really love to see it incorporated into a visualizer - somthing to show each line of text in a large size on the screen.

AVS' "Render Text" menu option has a text input option. This could have an option to feed each line of Lyrics 3.2 format text in, instead of the contents of the text entry box. Each time-stamped line could then show on screen with the music; either the lyrics on the song, or any other time-dependent
information you want.
Old 1st December 2000, 04:58   #116
Chief24

Does anybody want to sleep with me?
If so, please reply back.

Old 2nd December 2000, 00:12   #117
HateBall

How 'Bout support for
STREAMING AUDIO i.e .ASX and .ASF so we can listen to streaming music and webcasts from a respectable audio player and not from a P.O.S. (i am referring to it's quality when playing .mp3's) Windows Media Player v7.

Thanks

If it's already in there please show me where.

Old 2nd December 2000, 08:03   #118
InvisibleRazor

- Searchable playlist (CTRL-F)

Old 3rd December 2000, 00:57   #119
w_ray_carr

I'd like to see decoding for .pca files added. I thought this was already in WinAmp, but dropping a .pca file on WinAmp gets the file info, but no music.

Ray
Old 4th December 2000, 02:39   #120
WarpFlyght

Location: Florida... Somewhere on the road between hell and the local sauna.
Send a message via ICQ to WarpFlyght Send a message via AIM to WarpFlyght
Okay, let's see... Building a list. Some (okay, a lot) are stated earlier, but gotta list em all!

• First and foremost thing that got me about Winamp 2.7: Windowshade Analyzer. Throw in an option to enable old-school windowshade VU, just like you did for single-click buttons!

• Built-in support for various 3D sound output devices... Dolby, A3D, etc. I can't find a plugin to properly delegate different audio channels to my front and rear speakers!

• Crossfading capabilities

• ALARM CLOCK!!!

• Jump to song by number in playlist

• Hey, guys, the new credits are great, but I really miss the old ones... sniff...

• Support for mixed-media CD's (like listed by Zenter)... Winamp can't see the audio on mixed-media, and that is the only reason Winamp isn't my default CD audio player.

• Store installation pref's in registry! Call me a bit strange, but instead of installing new copies of Winamp over the top of my old ones, I create a new directory for the new Winamp, and leave the old ones intact... Meaning with every upgrade, I have to re-enter all my installation pref's.

• It'd also be nice to store ALL pref's in registry, but no big deal... Copying ini's isn't too bad.

• I don't know what all you guys are planning for Winamp 3, but if you make use of some of these suggestions, winamp 2.x skins won't be totally compatible with winamp 3.x... I don't have a proposed solution that would be easy for coding, but I want to state that I don't wanna have to re-design all my skins!!!

• As a skinner, partial transparencies in skins would be fantastic.

• Ability to use an image in the background of the spectrum analyzer in the main window.

• Utilizing ID3v2 support, ability to sort songs by the same artist by album, then track number. That way, albums stay in the track order on the album without having to add in pesky "01 - "'s to the titles.

• More of a note to all of you who can't hear sounds played while winamp is playing: Most newer soundcards support overlapping sound. For those of you with SB Live! cards, you can overlap up to 32 simultaneously... I don't pretend to be a programmer, but I don't think it'd be very easy to make Winamp allow other sounds passage to the soundcard... The only way I could think of would be for Winamp to take over sound output altogether and combine the songs in software, and output the combined waveform to the soundcard. That'd be a bitch to program, and impractical... Some systems let out a soft beep when sounds try to overlap if it isn't capable... If all else fails though, get a new soundcard!!!

• Utilize CD Audio channel when playing cda, leaving wave channel free for those mentioned above who can't overlap waves.

• Sleep timer to put Winamp to sleep after certain number of days, hours, minutes, seconds, etc...

• When right-clicking on open in main window, option to add file(s) to playlist... Also keyboard shortcut for same function (alt+L or alt+0?)

• Sort by date in playlist

• Nested playlists... Just a suggestion, but how about the ability to add an entire playlist file into the playlist itself? Of course, by default have it parse the playlist and add all the entries to the current list, but have a checkbox somewhere to enable nesting?

Okay, phew... That's about it. Great work guys... Been enjoying kicking llamma asses since 1.92, and looking forward to 3 and above!

------------------
"Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon." -- Montgomery Scott, ST:III
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist