Old 6th November 2002, 02:27   #241
cgfiend

Send a message via ICQ to cgfiend Send a message via AIM to cgfiend Send a message via Yahoo to cgfiend
Pardon my ignorance, but...

What program is X-Fixer working on? Out of this whole thread I haven't been able to decipher what player he's fixing bugs in.
cgfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 03:05   #242
kode54

Send a message via ICQ to kode54 Send a message via AIM to kode54
in_mod.dll, the Nullsoft Module Decoder. See the first page of the topic for the download link. He always reuploads new versions over the same file, so you just have to watch for changes. (ie. newer date than local file, if your downloader supports timestamping files to match the remote server)
kode54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 06:08   #243
Rz_Ten1

27.6 sounds a little better, but the drifting is still pretty bad.
Rz_Ten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 13:25   #244
X-Fixer
Major Dude

after half an hour of hacking with modplug and cooledit I've finally figured out that this was a typical of-by-one error! mikamp decreased note number by one for internal purposes and then just used formula and table from FT2 doc (that are quite correct, but for the original note value, of course)!

check out beta27.7!

since I suspect that this bug is still present in other period modes (there are 4 period modes: "Amiga", "linear", "XM Amiga" and "XM linear" and only "XM Agima" - used in scifi.xm - is tested), I will appreciate if someone test this carefully.

Rz_Ten1: may be you can do some testing?

cgfiend: I don't believe that you've read the whole thread anyway
X-Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 14:36   #245
cgfiend

Send a message via ICQ to cgfiend Send a message via AIM to cgfiend Send a message via Yahoo to cgfiend
You're right...

I skimmed through it looking for the link. I must've scrolled past your post on the first page.
cgfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 18:42   #246
X-Fixer
Major Dude

my post is the second one, but it does not show my intention to work on module decoder plug-in
Old 7th November 2002, 05:31   #247
Rz_Ten1

scifi.xm looks good!

However, looks like there are now some other problems. It sounds like either the pitch is way off or a note is playing that does not exist in certain songs.

I'll attach one of them. You'll notice some very, very high pitched beeping in it that isn't supposed to be there. They come in at 22 seconds and last for most of the song.

I've noticed some other oddess in another song with track volume, but that might be just because I've been listening to songs with the volume too high for 3 hours or so.
Attached Files
File Type: zip song_.zip (20.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 7th November 2002, 07:48   #248
X-Fixer
Major Dude

that's a lame bug, that I've fixed just after uploading
(index in table sometimes became negative. after all, the initial code was not as brain-damaged as I it looked like - it gave errors of about 1/4 tone)

check it out now

Rz_Ten1, could you do some testing, I've asked about previously?
Old 7th November 2002, 07:50   #249
Rz_Ten1

I suppose I can, what did you have in mind?
Old 7th November 2002, 10:59   #250
X-Fixer
Major Dude

I want someone to

1) test in_mod over http/ftp
2) test NNAs carefully (with S7x effects), but with older version of plug-in (before 27.x)

btw, have you tried 27.77?
Old 8th November 2002, 09:22   #251
Rz_Ten1

27.77 looks good. I'll see if I can find another problem so that you can add more 7's.

1. Do you want someone to check streaming? I'm a little unsure of what you mean by 'over http/ftp.' Most of the mod sites I've visited tend to zip their modules. Normally, I've had to do manual extractions to play the files (unless I load it in modplug, but winamp sounds better ). Unless winamp can open zipped modules and I never noticed... they're not listed as a suppored type of file.

2. I personally have no idea how to check this. I know that those effects appear in Impulse Tracker files but, other then playing the songs, I don't know how helpful I can be. I can't compose at all. Plus, my DOS sound emulation is usually limited to 8bit sound (darn NTVDM) due to the way most trackers try to write to the audio hardware.
Old 8th November 2002, 09:56   #252
B3d30x

You can test it by streaming from there:
http://bedeox.hopto.org/mods/CORN.IT
http://bedeox.hopto.org/mods/ICEMOON.IT
http://bedeox.hopto.org/mods/Skyline_-_Gaia.it
http://bedeox.hopto.org/mods/empty.it
http://bedeox.hopto.org/mods/journey.it
http://bedeox.hopto.org/mods/orialcon.it
http://bedeox.hopto.org/mods/upbeat.it
http://bedeox.hopto.org/mods/waterside-town.it

Choose any of them...
I'll test it myself when I'm back into Windows...
B3d30x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2002, 09:57   #253
X-Fixer
Major Dude

1. it's not an actual streaming, since mods just can't be streamed the file is saved to disk and then played. in_mod uses winamp2 undocumented API to get file over http, but for some reason it also checks for ftp:// urls. I've just tested how beta14 works (it works, but does not delete temp file). also, in_mod plays zipped mods fine. to get them play you need to rename file (so it'll have supported extension) or add 'mod://:' before the url in playlist.

2. seems, I'll have to do it myself
and do you mean that you have SB emulation under win2k, do you? where have you got it?

edit: crap, it does not work over ftp.
Old 8th November 2002, 12:55   #254
Rz_Ten1

I can still try some HTTP servers if you'd like once I get back home. (The work proxy blocks pretty much everything except IE .)

The 2K sound emulator I use is called SoundFX, I got it primarily for Cubic Player (for non-mod files, actually), but it works pretty well with most DOS games also .

16-bit mode (Soundblaster 16 and higher) seems to have problems with modules and wav files in Cubic, they play far too loud. I've never submitted a bug report for it, because I rarely play those filetypes in DOS.

More information is at http://www.softsystem.co.uk/page3.htm
Old 8th November 2002, 15:57   #255
Rz_Ten1

Found another tiny problem with an xm file...
in http://www.modarchive.com/cgi-bin/do.../T/tkr_imml.xm
the guitar track (tracks 1-3, instrument 3) will not play.

I've included another audio sample from cubic and WinAmp.

On HTTP streaming... I've found the WinAmp will correctly play pretty much anything (I've tried so far) from an HTTP server. It will correctly delete the temporary file once the track either stops, or WinAmp is closed. However, on invalid files (404, 403, 302, etc) WinAmp will report an 'Invalid Module,' as it probably should, but the temporary file will not be deleted.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sample2.zip (83.1 KB, 122 views)
Old 8th November 2002, 17:32   #256
B3d30x

XFixer: could you be so kind and paste
here seeking code from in_mod?
I'd like to modify XMMS MikMod plugin so that seeking and lenght display would work.

<edit>
Mods could be streamed (at least by HTTP 1.1, because seeking is needed):
- get module header
<loop>
- get patterns
- get needed samples for playback of first fragment
- create dummy module (from parsed patterns and original header)
- play
</loop>

Problem would arise when one of the samples is very big...
Only samples would be really streamed , cause I think that patterns are very small compared to them
</edit>

Last edited by B3d30x; 8th November 2002 at 17:53.
Old 8th November 2002, 18:25   #257
X-Fixer
Major Dude

I've changed periods calculation again, but now not only for XMs, but for other formats too. please, test carefully.

I've also rebuilt FIR table.

and it would be cool, if someone get information on how "set speed/tempo" command works in various trackers. (in some trackers 32 is the maximal speed, in others it's the minimal tempo, but there are seem to be more variants)
Old 9th November 2002, 02:07   #258
Rz_Ten1

Just a quick note (late for work ), tkr_imml.xm is still not playing instrument 3. Everything else seems to be working correctly at the moment.

Whiteshapesmall.it does sound quite a bit better, btw . It still sounds like it's getting chewed up abit around 4:05, but the rest of the song sounds almost perfect.

B3d30x: correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that mod files are mostly samples, the track information is minimal and while you could probably stream it in that way, it would actually probably end up taking longer. Here's a quick example of filesize with few instruments: CYC-SINE.IT: Sinewave Madness, 7 Instruments, 3:13, 11.6K . I suppose you could do an intelligent scan and see which instruments played when and then only load the ones that are used first, but I have a feeling most mods will use at least 80% of their instruments in the first 30 seconds or so.
Old 9th November 2002, 05:22   #259
X-Fixer
Major Dude

tkr_imml.xm and deleting temp file on errors fixed. (have not uploaded yet)

Bedeox: I can give you timing/seeking module, but this makes no sence, since mikamp and mikmod are very different (just believe me). if you have time to adopt seeking for mikmod (around 600 lines of code)... you'd better port mikamp to linux

about streaming... Rz_Ten1, that's just what I wanted to say moreover, if you have not downloaded all samples before playing you will get significant delays in playback (unless you have very fast connection, that makes streaming useless)
Old 9th November 2002, 07:51   #260
Rz_Ten1

Well... if you have a very fast connection, why do you need to stream in the first place?

I know I'd personally rather wait 20 seconds for the song then 10 seconds, some music, another 5 second delay, and the rest of the song.

It would actually probably be easier to write a MOD format that included the samples at the location they first play. ie: header, sample list, first samples, track data, more samples, track data, etc. Lumping all samples at the end of the track would probably also work, as long as they were in the correct order...
Of couse, if you were going to do that, you might as well just chuck in support for mp3 compression of the samples. Sure, it'd have a heck of a lot more processing overhead, but the file should be small.

Edit: Whoops, looks like they DO store the sample data at the end... it'd still be a pain though. You'd have to prescan the patterns, check if those pattern's samples had been loaded yet, guess the remaining download time for all remaining samples, and begin playing when playable time with currently loaded samples is >= remaining download time.

Something like that would actually probably work ok for very large mods (> 500k probably, should be easy to determine since HTTP headers always return filesize (it would probably take LONGER to do 1.1 chunking then just a linear read)) but would require, again, that the samples appear in the correct order.

...I've typed too much...

Last edited by Rz_Ten1; 9th November 2002 at 08:11.
Old 11th November 2002, 17:50   #261
B3d30x

But I think, that this is too much work
for too little gain (on streaming)

As for XMMS, I ditched Linux for some (probably long)
time, as I don't have access to that harddisk anymore
(it's dead, and I have new identical one anyway...
backup pays off , but I don't have Linux there
and I won't ditch Winamp for XMMS this time!
RULES!)

Last edited by B3d30x; 11th November 2002 at 18:41.
Old 11th November 2002, 18:28   #262
X-Fixer
Major Dude

I've uploaded beta 27.9

btw, Rz_Ten1, do you use open cubic player?
Old 11th November 2002, 18:47   #263
B3d30x

I'm dling it now...
Will test it thoroughly...
beta 28 will probably be new stable version
I think

<edit>
It is MUCH better than MikMod 3... especially surround.
</edit>

Last edited by B3d30x; 11th November 2002 at 19:15.
Old 11th November 2002, 23:32   #264
RIV@NVX

Send a message via ICQ to RIV@NVX Send a message via AIM to RIV@NVX Send a message via Yahoo to RIV@NVX
I get [SYNTAX ERROR IN FORMATING STRING] instead of song name even with 27.9. I can reproduce it with any file I have. Previous version didn't have that bug.

DriverHeaven Moderator
kX Product Quality Tester
RIV@NVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 04:57   #265
Lion King
Major Dude

preferences > input > nullsoft module decoder > configure > general > title formatting > click on 'default' > ok
Lion King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 11:32   #266
RIV@NVX

Send a message via ICQ to RIV@NVX Send a message via AIM to RIV@NVX Send a message via Yahoo to RIV@NVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Lion King
preferences > input > nullsoft module decoder > configure > general > title formatting > click on 'default' > ok
Thanks! Works now! Is it because X-Fixer changed something in titles?

DriverHeaven Moderator
Old 12th November 2002, 13:43   #267
Rz_Ten1

27.9 looks good!

And yes, I do use Open Cubic once and awhile.
Old 12th November 2002, 14:27   #268
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted RIV@NVX
Thanks! Works now! Is it because X-Fixer changed something in titles?
RTFM
should I make FAQ on it?

Rz_Ten1, do you have win2k or winxp? and what version of opencp do you use? and do you have any problems with opencp? I get 100% cpu usage and random crashes/closing. (the story: I've ported opencp's devpVXD, so it works under win2k, but I can't really use it, because opencp crashes after few minutes of playback. well, at least this is not worse than shareware version of SoundFX )
Old 12th November 2002, 15:31   #269
Rz_Ten1

I get random crashes in opencp usually after playing 20,30+ songs in a row and almost always while loading the next song. It rarely crashes otherwise. I'm using the registered version of SoundFX, version 2.03. They have fixed the 16-bit playback problem with that version.

If you want to use cubic with 2.02 or lower (or the shareware version), you'll need to set the following line in cp.ini:
mix16bit=off
Also, I don't know if this makes a difference or now, but I'm using 2.5.0... the version before they had the vxd option. I didn't like the way 2.6.0 handled files, on my older system I kept getting odd, random, popping nosies so I never upgraded.

On the title issue... maybe you should change the message to: "SYNTAX ERROR IN FORMATTING STRING - CHECK DECODER PREFERENCES"

Edit: oh, and like most other DOS programs, cubic player sticks at 100%.
Old 12th November 2002, 17:05   #270
B3d30x

Even better:
make NSIS package with in_mod in it
It (probably, I haven't tested it...)
can update config automatically.
Old 12th November 2002, 20:09   #271
RIV@NVX

Quote:
Originally posted by B3d30x
Even better:
make NSIS package with in_mod in it
It (probably, I haven't tested it...)
can update config automatically.
I think it can't actually...

But, you can make in_mod store setting in itself, so you can "update people's configs behind their back" (peter's sentence)

DriverHeaven Moderator
Old 12th November 2002, 20:15   #272
RIV@NVX

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Fixer
RTFM
should I make FAQ on it?
I have just read it, and I think you haven't updated Help (when you click on button right of Default). It just sounds like peter.

Sorry for double posting, but I just can't delete my post...

DriverHeaven Moderator
Old 13th November 2002, 05:11   #273
X-Fixer
Major Dude

of course, NSIS can modify ini files, but I'm too lazy to write script. and I don't like to change settings behind user's back. and I think that users *must* read docs anyway.

and help is the standard help that comes with tagz, only slightly modified (help on $if2).
Old 13th November 2002, 13:02   #274
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Rz_Ten1
If you want to use cubic with 2.02 or lower
of course I don't, what have I written driver for ?!

not to mention, that my driver is freeware, faster, has no 16-bit problems, supports everything your DX drivers support (say 16bit/96KHz) and has a feature to make opencp more background-friendly (lowers it priotity). btw, could you test it?
Old 13th November 2002, 14:12   #275
Rz_Ten1

I suppose I could... but why would I want to use something that only works with cubic player, since SoundFX now supports all 16-bit modes correctly? (it already could do 96khz... it turns out cubic was sending 16-bit unsigned data, which SoundFX couldn't handle. Like I said, the current version now can.)

Where can I download your version? I don't see it on your website.

Also, Cubic is fine at 100% at normal... if I set it to anything below normal, the chance of it stopping completely are fairly high since I usually have at least one app also trying to get 100%.
Old 13th November 2002, 18:37   #276
X-Fixer
Major Dude

I've changed speed/tempo handling a bit. check if it brakes any of your modules.
Old 13th November 2002, 20:04   #277
B3d30x

Nothing unusual happened...
(I've tested it for some time,
even with one queer mod constsntly
changing tempo 120-138-166)
Old 14th November 2002, 05:26   #278
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Rz_Ten1, if you want to test it, get it here
Attached Files
File Type: zip vapc.zip (12.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 15th November 2002, 09:43   #279
X-Fixer
Major Dude

I've found that there are many descriptions of what bugs winamp's in_mod had all over the net (just type "winamp bug mod" in google, or something like this). also there are many modules on modarchive, that say "do not play in winamp". It would be cool if someone test which bugs are still here and what's wrong with these darned modules.
Old 17th November 2002, 08:22   #280
X-Fixer
Major Dude

ugh... beta28, finally
code:

- IT
- fixed lame bug
- fixed pitchpan separation
- some minor changes
- S3M
- added finetune effect
- corrected tempo setting
- XM
- fixed finetune effect
- player
- fixed "XM Amiga periods" mode
- fixed pattern break effect
- NNA related fixes (effects S73-S76 should work now)
- sample/instrument panning fixes
- keyoff fixes
- some other fixes
- mixer
- FIR table rebuilt with cutoff 0.96
- loaders
- corrected "set speed/tempo" command with value of 32
- envelopes validation
- fixes to samples validation
- LoadInfo is faster
- changed default title formatting string
- some hacks in title formatting library
- improved infinite looping
- fixes to "track song"
- fixed small memory leaks
- some minor changes

enjoy

and will anyone test those mods on modarchive, please? it's pretty easy, really.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist