Old 12th August 2009, 08:26   #121
rockouthippie
Banned

It was hot here in Northwest Oregon about 10 days ago... even up to 106 degrees... but it was not a record..... you'd have to go back to the 1960's to find record temperatures.... most of you guys aren't old enough to remember "nuclear winter"
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 05:16   #122
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Born in March of 1978. Don't remember much before late '81.

From what I understand, '77 and '78 were unbelievably intense winters where I grew up (Western Pennsylvania, USA). Snow was accumulated almost as tall as standing adults, whereas a normal winter gets about 16 inches on the worst day (around knee deep for an adult). Drifts in both cases were about three times higher of course.

Right now, I believe we're in the middle of "La Nina" which is the cooler of the "El Nino - La Nina" cycle. If global warming is a real thing (which I am not debating on this particular post), this year wouldn't be a year to notice it, as it has an overall cooler-than-normal summer and winter. This claim is based on what I have seen on the "Weather Channel", which is contrary to what Wikipedia claims (saying that years '09-'10 are the warmer "El Nino"). From what I've noticed, it was a rather cold winter, and a rather cooler-than-normal summer too.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 09:38   #123
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

You're in Iowa now Ted, yeah?
I knew/know a couple that lived somewhere in that state, this past winter was the worst for a long time for them, very cold and continuous snow fall for days on end.
The guys truck had problems starting because it was diesel too. (That and having to shovel snow massive amounts of snow)
But at least it's not Saskatchewan.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 03:12   #124
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Diesel engines are tough to start in the winter if you don't heat up the glow plugs for a while first. There's some kind of plug-in add-on you can buy for any engine too. I think it heats up the oil, but I've never had one so I'm not sure.

Old 19th August 2009, 07:12   #125
rockouthippie
Banned

The one I had was an electric oil dipstick. It just replaced the normal dipstick and you plug it in the wall. Either get a really, really good battery or a battery heater. They are like an electric blanket. There are some heaters that replace your water freeze plug in the engine block, but I never knew anyone that did that.

Another thing you'll want to do when it gets really cold is cut a piece of cardboard that blocks off about 3/4 of the front of the radiator. Stick it in there if it gets below about 15 degrees. This is especially important if your going on the highway... your cabin heater won't work otherwise....
Old 19th August 2009, 10:52   #126
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 02:01   #127
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^That's exactly what I'm talking about - those little plugs hung out of almost all cars in South Dakota, and many here in Iowa.

I've never been completely unable to start my current vehicles, so I never really had a critical need for those, but I read (on your link) preheated engine could reduce pollution significantly, so maybe I should pick some of them up with a timer switch set to about a half hour before I start up in the morning.

Old 20th August 2009, 02:49   #128
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Those block heaters are standard equipment here. You buy a car, it has it already installed.

Of course, in Canada this is also sometimes referred to as a block heater:

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 02:32   #129
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

We finally got plowed out and have started back to school. Here's a little youtube of the pile it left:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ewVO-1egQ

They used a bunch of these to plow:

(that blade is quite a bit taller than I am)

oops...

The view out of our office (note that the background is a 3-4 story high gymnasium):

I don't think people give mother nature enough credit considering some of the shit she comes up with.

Old 18th February 2010, 15:52   #130
rockouthippie
Banned

Today here in Hillsburrito, Orygun, 50 degrees, 5mph wind, sunshine... it's spring. The dog thinks so too. Her spring has definitely sprung She saw me get out the bicycle. It's time for "go for walk!".
Old 19th February 2010, 00:05   #131
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^I'll see it is rather warm when we finally get weather like that, although if it happens too fast we'll be flooded.

Today I had the pleasure of falling on my ass (slipped on ice), but luckily not in front of my students. It'll probably leave a nice bruise, but don't expect any pictures...

Instead, here's our road about a half mile north of town today (I drive this on the way home from work). For reference, I'm about 5'10" tall, and the truck is about a half foot taller than me. (truck is roughly 2 meters tall for you metric folk)

Can't really read signs anymore.

Old 20th February 2010, 05:13   #132
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The giant snowblowers cut a really straight wall out of the snow when they go through, rather than making the piles that the plows make (after too much snowfall, the plows don't work anymore due to the snow being too tall and heavy).

Old 22nd June 2010, 14:30   #133
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

I'm awfully glad you cleared all that up. Ahat' s your profession that gives you access to such a comprehensive knowledge of the issues, again? Junior clerk at Best Buy? Head burrito man at Taco bell?

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:31   #134
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Old 22nd June 2010, 18:48   #135
rockouthippie
Banned

You shouldn't talk to him that way, you might have to get a job someday.
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:58   #136
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

hahaha you so funny! I love your insults from the 1968 John Bircher catalog = "get a job hippie." How old are you anyway? sheesh.

It would probably give you a stroke if you knew how much money I make at my gig as you think all liberals are pot smoking hippies who can't hold a job. time to come out of your cave, bubba.

Old 22nd June 2010, 23:44   #137
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't think you really realize how precarious your situation is.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:47   #138
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

What? Are you stalking me and telling my boss what a librul I am, trying to get me fired? That's gonna work just fine.

Old 25th June 2010, 04:30   #139
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Al Gore has some "convenient" income due to his work on climate change awareness (I wouldn't mind getting a little piece of that pie), but that doesn't really change the facts behind his claims. It really is easy to see that man-made climate change is likely happening when you examine the evidence. Humans have a lot of power to change the face of the globe - just look at the current oil spill which has grown larger than Lake Erie, or you can go to the past and see what happened with the ozone hole, which luckily seems to be reducing in size due to our changes in product use.

I did poke fun at the global warming idea with all my snow pictures, but that was more a result of me being new to such a hostile winter environment, something that those around me are quite used to. Believe it or not, people here say that it used to be much colder, and less hot in the summer (it's been in the low 90s this week - it's supposed to be in the high 70s or low 80s). An increase in snow in areas like mine actually indicate a higher winter temperature, as snow doesn't fall much at all in temperatures below 10F.

Old 25th June 2010, 13:21   #140
rockouthippie
Banned

The South Africans played hell to get this coal plant, which is controversial for the reasons in this thread.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201004100002.html

Economic development has made us all fat, but OMG! you can't give some Africans a hand up because it emits 25 tons of carbon. The U.S., Britain, Netherlands, Norway and Italy abstained from voting proving their commitment to green power, but only thinly veiling our absolute hypocrisy.

"Green" involves any pretense to try to keep Africa from having any non renewable energy. The stance is largely effective too. It effectively means Africa can't have significant energy.

Green huh? How many polar bears for how many Africans?

Quote:
What? Are you stalking me and telling my boss what a librul I am, trying to get me fired? That's gonna work just fine.
There is always someone smarter than you are. With the way the economy is, they'll be someone along soon whose cheaper. If you can get through your life without some serious gaps in your resume, you'll be doing better than 90% of the people I know. Those gaps are a killer.

The last time anything like this happened to the economy was back in the early 80's. Because we bailed this out it feels about the same, this recession is deeper. Borrowing only extends it.

In the 90's, I remember kids that didn't realize there was such a thing as a bear market or that the .com bubble would burst. From upper middle class to rocketing to the poor house in 6 seconds which was about as fast as the Beemer they could no longer afford.

I've lived through one of these. I don't think you quite understand how absolutely fucked up the next 10 years are gonna be. You'll live, but the party is over. If you haven't been affected, it's YET!

Last edited by rockouthippie; 25th June 2010 at 14:55.
Old 7th July 2010, 05:37   #141
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Possibly true, but only time will tell. In my situation, I feel pretty secure - gone through some rough times and somehow dug myself out of it before it became damaging.

Lately it has been easy to believe the "global warming" thing - I've been splitting wood with a maul and puling stumps with a truck and tractor in 90-100F high-humidity weather. This kind of stuff isn't supposed to happen until mid August.

It takes a lot of work just to get a shirt off - it just seems to glue itself to me with all the sweat/dust mix.

Old 7th July 2010, 06:31   #142
rockouthippie
Banned

Here in Oregon, we are getting the first summer weather so far. The'res been a couple 70 degree days, but low 50's at might. Hell, last night I turned on some heat. In July? It's pretty weird.

From here we get some summer weather for a while. It was 85 today. Upper 80's and low 90's with cool nights. I'm happy now.

As far as the economy goes, I don't think there is a magic bullet. It made us do some things we wouldn't have done under normal circumstance (like bail the bankers out). I think we're going to have to live without reforms we'd make under normal circumstances.

As it's going now, it might take 10 more years, maybe even longer, to resemble 2007 spending and employment.

Total nonfarm payroll employment decreased by 125,000 in June, re-
flecting the departure of 225,000 temporary Census 2010 workers from
federal government payrolls. Total private employment edged up over
the month (+83,000) due to modest increases in several industries.
So far this year, private-sector employment has increased by 593,000
but in June was 7.9 million below its December 2007 level.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

This economy looks like it has finally stopped losing jobs, but a lot of business people expect the recovery to lose momentum, so we may see more dips in employment. This meager job g.r.o.w.t.h. number tells the tale. How soon do we get back to 2007 numbers? 10 or 20 years?
Old 23rd July 2010, 03:53   #143
tuckerm
Forum Emo

007? Is that you??
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 05:27   #144
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't think we need to about chemtrails when we have Mr. 007 on the case.
Old 27th July 2010, 21:25   #145
KROCKS ZPR

HAARP is not the only device that can manipulate the weather.

CERN, a more advanced and much larger array, and several others scattered all over the world, work in conjunction with HAARP and do a whole lot more than just make it rain or dump piles of snow enough to go swimming in.

Research what was the cause of the Haiti earthquake back in February.

Norway Spiral anyone?

Google is your friend.

RFB
KROCKS ZPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 12:29   #146
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
[Insert Coast to Coast AM theme music here]

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 05:26   #147
rockouthippie
Banned

Well, we are at the end of summer 2010, and it is one of the coolest summers I have ever seen. I only turned the air conditioning on 3 times. It never hit 100 degrees. The weather now is unseasonably cool and with more rain than I'd expect.

Hmmm.....
Old 21st September 2010, 06:25   #148
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I agree. This has been the coolest summer that I can remember.

Of course if I were to actually research the weather trends for my area and post it I think somehow some raging ant-capitalist fear-mongering fascist anti-humanity environmentalist wacko would cherry-pick data from some obscure region on the planet to offset our testimony...

screw it...

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_15723011
http://sciencedude.ocregister.com/20...record/107185/
http://www.ktvu.com/news/25024643/detail.html
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...peratures.html
http://sciencedude.ocregister.com/20...record/110685/
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2561801/posts
http[colon][forwardslash][forwardslash]westernusawx[dot]info[forwardslash]forums[forwardslash]index[dot]php?showtopic=30292

wtf is up with the forums butchering the last link?

Not that it really matters though I guess.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 08:11   #149
rockouthippie
Banned

NOAA predicted 3-7 category 4 and 5 hurricanes with the possibility that it could be nearly as bad as 2005. Ummm... so far.... Igor blew some patio umbrellas over in Bermuda.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 21st September 2010 at 09:14.
Old 21st September 2010, 13:34   #150
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Science is hard. Best to ignore it.

Old 6th October 2010, 02:50   #151
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm surprised you can spell it.

Please find me a prediction of doomsday that ACTUALLY follows all (or any) of these screwed up "scientific" climate models that predict our doom.

Science means you adopt a theory that sorta looks like the facts. The ice pack might melt. The polar bears might die, but with the "science" I've seen, computer models might as well predict that we will all shit and go blind.

I think our ecology is important. Politically, it's important to get to energy self sufficiency. If we deal with science and facts, we'll make better choices.

Frankly, I've seen warming predicted that goes against the laws of physics. One big example is that it's physically impossible for ocean temperature increases to be as big as predicted. Do your math. The earth has 1.4 billion cubic kilometers of water. Try changing it's temperature. You could set off every hydrogen bomb on the planet and not budge it a degree.

Science is hard. Making up a bunch of crap isn't.

We've been doing a pretty hard look at this stuff for 20 years. NO climate models fit what happened, is happening or what is likely to happen.

If tomorrows weather report was likely to be accurate.............

I think it would be rather important to figure out what the facts are. I like facts.

Quote:
Al Gore has some "convenient" income due to his work on climate change awareness (I wouldn't mind getting a little piece of that pie), but that doesn't really change the facts behind his claims.
Check those "facts".

http://www.media.rice.edu/media/News...nID=2075327496

Take 2 aspirin and call me in a millennia. If you believe in the Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum(55 million years ago), you'd have to account for it taking 20,000 years to raise the earths temperature 6C. Forget the ice age that happened 75,000 years ago, which reduced humans to scant thousands.

You might think I am cavalier about the ability of 6 billion humans to do extreme damage to the biosphere. I'm not. I just think global warming is the least of our problems. When we manage to piss mother nature off enough.... 80,000 years of humans. 2500 years of civilization. A few hundred of that was the "Dark Ages". Remember Rome? 18th century technology that disappeared for 1500 years.

I just think we humans can do a little better offing ourselves than some CO2.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 6th October 2010 at 04:51.
Old 13th November 2010, 15:28   #152
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Ahh, the return of Global Warming! Actually it is very surprising that we have had zero snow until just today, but, all of a sudden, we got hit this morning. Obviously, earlier in the thread I showed much worse, but more than a foot is still noteworthy. I had to dig just to be able to show the pink 1 foot ruler (30 cm). I'm guessing it's about 36 cm or 14 inches so far and still lightly falling.

Old 17th November 2010, 12:21   #153
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
cool!

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 15:17   #154
lakeshorestair

snow!
lakeshorestair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 02:00   #155
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

It's sad that the once mighty Winamp is now pretty much the dumbest place on the Internet outside of Freerepublic.com

Old 18th November 2010, 02:13   #156
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I've never been to that site.

I know I keep making fun of "global warming" by posting these snow pictures on this thread, but I honestly do believe that human-influence is a significant contributing cause of climate change. Statistically speaking, I should have been showing pictures of snow much earlier in the season, but until the day of my previous post, there was zero snow, not even the kind of snow that melts instead of accumulating. Most has melted now, it's just patchy in addition to the piles that all the plows left behind. I apologize if my incredibly sarcastic treatment of this thread offends people; I've just been looking for a place to post pictures of snow. I actually like snow.

Old 18th November 2010, 02:51   #157
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0325141202.htm I live relatively close to a lake of magnificent beauty that is already suffering the effects of climate change.

Old 18th November 2010, 03:06   #158
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

One thing that a lot of science-educated people agree on is that climate change is actually happening. The issue that remains debated, especially politically debated, is whether or not this change is influenced significantly by humans and whether human factors are causing the climate change. Based on what I have seen, at the very least, there is a correlation that seems unique based on it's matching with human industrial times. Coincidence? Maybe, but at this point, there is nothing that explains the situation more convincingly in my opinion, considering the speed of the changes in the climate and the corresponding and time-matching speed of the changes in human-caused emissions.

Old 18th November 2010, 03:16   #159
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Or sadder yet, the eventual lack of snow around the lake.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/11/16/319...-its-snow.html

Old 19th November 2010, 08:29   #160
rockouthippie
Banned

Dr. Taylor, who has been studying polar bears for 30 years, writing 50 research papers on the subject:

In science, the validity of simulation models are evaluated based on how well their predictions match what actually happens..

The insistence that we all must believe it and that CO2 driven climate change is a technical consensus, when the earth isn’t warming, and when it is not a technical consensus, that’s the part that I really don’t understand.

http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/2571

How well do IPCC climate models match what has happened? Not at all.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 19th November 2010 at 11:25.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist