Old 20th April 2013, 21:20   #1
ultranothing

Need some assistance, but going to ask in a bitchy way.

"Winamp! Winamp! It really whips the llama's ass!"

First of all, can anyone explain to me how someone thought it appropriate or necessary to have their software growl profanity-laden nonsense at the end-user every time it loads? I'm not trying to sound like a prissy, but it's almost awkwardly gratuitous. It literally makes no sense and is just ...weird.

Yes, Winamp guru, I assumed there was a story behind it, and if you'd just explain it to me -- the history of DJ Mike Llama and his meteoric rise to stardom through the Winamp streaming service, whatever -- I'm certain that everything would become clear and I'd have to take it all back. No, that's also a misguided thought process. See, if it needs to be explained by a hipster-doofus computer geek, it's what is known as an in-joke and therefore unsuitable for blanket distribution to normal people who just want to try out a media player.

What I'm trying to say is that it's completely and totally f@$king retarded, and no explanation on Earth is going to change that fact. Never. Ever. Never.

Oh, wait. I'm sorry! I just realized that every time I load up VLC media player, a baritone radio voice booms out, "VLC will drop trow, and squeeze out a Cleveland steamer on your CHEST...chest...chest...chest..." So I guess it's a normal, well-thought and universally-accepted tradition for media player software developers. Lesson learned!

Okay...what next to garrulously bitch about. Ah, yes! Adding visualizations! Does it have to be a five-part process? Can't the installer just...install them?

So now, here's my real issue. I can't play any of the visualizations I've painstakingly installed into Winamp. I have a Sager NP6110 laptop with both an Intel HD Graphics 4000 card, and a dedicated Nvidia GT650m 2gb card. Apparently, Winamp doesn't see, recognize or appreciate my dedicated graphics card. I'm given a drop-down list where I can choose which card I'd like to use, but it's showing only the option to use the Intel 4000. I am receiving a message when I try to play Milkdrop (or whatever it's called) saying that there's not enough memory, try to reduce settings, etc., even though the Intel 4000 on its' own should be more than capable of generating colorful zig-zags and twirly-whirls. So why isn't my GT650m showing up on the list? And how am I the only one who has ever had this problem with Winamp, ever? I searched, literally, ten different combinations of that question, various relevant keywords, etc., and fed it into the search here on the forums. Absolutely nothing. So...lucky me, it seems.

Can you tell I'm having a GREAT DAY?! Now, all I want to do is veg out to some tunes and watch some trippy colors and forget about the evolutionary mistake we call humanity for awhile. Can that happen today?

ultranothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 06:44   #2
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I'm going to answer in a bitchy way.

With your very first two post you thought nothing of attacking a vulnerable member of this community and you expect an answer now?

Think again.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 23:18   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
even though the Intel 4000 on its' own should be more than capable of generating colorful zig-zags and twirly-whirls
You overestimate it or it's drivers anyway. Intel video sucks a llama's ass. It won't even play minecraft without lagging.

Quote:
I'm not trying to sound like a prissy
Didn't make it. Turn your volume down during the install and it won't trouble you again.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 06:27   #4
ultranothing

Quote:
Didn't make it. Turn your volume down during the install and it won't trouble you again.
Oh, really? During the install, you say? That's when I should turn down the volume? Not...every single time I load Winamp? Which is when it happens? Every single time? So, every time I want to load Winamp, I have to remember to turn my volume down so I don't have to hear the emasculating, sexy voice of DJ Mike Llama. No...that's a convenient and necessary adjustment I can make.

Quote:
With your very first two post you thought nothing of attacking a vulnerable member of this community and you expect an answer now?
If it's Mr. Llama you're referring to, I must say he sounds anything BUT "vulnerable." I'd sooner describe him as "scary." At first. Then, progressively more annoying as I continue to use the software. Did I already mention that in another way, previously?
ultranothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 11:35   #5
fc*uk

^That post truly shows how clueless you are.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 15:44   #6
DrO

probably need to do http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....=1212729#clean as no way should the desktop client by playing what is a one-time install clip (aka branding) unless some crap like ccleaner is present and wiping out settings, etc as it's been known to have a tendency to do.

as for installing visualisations, no one can answer that as no specifics has been provided on _what_ is trying to be installed (though i'd guess it's presets and then that will require extra interaction).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 17:16   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Try taking the Llama out of your playlist? It was loaded up as the first item in the playlist but you can delete it. Winamp does let you choose which music you want to play. It is okay.

And your Intel HD 3000 video issues can be fixed by using the latest Winamp beta release and the newest drivers from the Intel website. I got one of those cheapo Intel video cards in a cheapo HP laptop I rebuilt from salvaged kit. Using release version of Winamp got shader bugs. These are fixed in the beta.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:17   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

[Try taking the Llama out of your playlist?]

Yup. You don't even need to "take it out". It's wiped the first time you access or create a playlist. I think it even wipes if you play a file directly unless you have "en-queue" set.

It looks like I installed Winamp about 9 months ago. I have not heard "it whips" since.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 17:47   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
[Try taking the Llama out of your playlist?]

Yup. You don't even need to "take it out". It's wiped the first time you access or create a playlist. I think it even wipes if you play a file directly unless you have "en-queue" set.

It looks like I installed Winamp about 9 months ago. I have not heard "it whips" since.
There are cases where you can accidentally keep the Llama in the main playlist. I tend to drag and drop tracks from either the Media Library or from Windows Explorer. And the same with the Enqueue options. In all those cases the Llama stays at the top of the playlist - exactly like any other MP3 would.

If I loaded up a whole new playlist, then yes, as you describe, the Llama gets turned into Llama Curry and never returns.

I did have to laugh the other night as I had forgotten that my laptop in the bedroom had a fresh Winamp install on it. I had dragged a number albums into the playlist to play when the girlfriend was round. It did disrupt the mood into a bit of comical laughter when the playlist got to the bottom and then repeated from the top... the sound of a Llama can give an odd response at the wrong time. LoL!!!
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 00:21   #10
Pretzel4

""Oh, really? During the install, you say? That's when I should turn down the volume? Not...every single time I load Winamp? Which is when it happens? Every single time? So, every time I want to load Winamp, I have to remember to turn my volume down so I don't have to hear the emasculating, sexy voice of DJ Mike Llama. No...that's a convenient and necessary adjustment I can make. ""

WOW. Someone needs to just kill themselves and do us all a favor.
Pretzel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 00:26   #11
Pretzel4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
There are cases where you can accidentally keep the Llama in the main playlist. I tend to drag and drop tracks from either the Media Library or from Windows Explorer. And the same with the Enqueue options. In all those cases the Llama stays at the top of the playlist - exactly like any other MP3 would.

If I loaded up a whole new playlist, then yes, as you describe, the Llama gets turned into Llama Curry and never returns.

I did have to laugh the other night as I had forgotten that my laptop in the bedroom had a fresh Winamp install on it. I had dragged a number albums into the playlist to play when the girlfriend was round. It did disrupt the mood into a bit of comical laughter when the playlist got to the bottom and then repeated from the top... the sound of a Llama can give an odd response at the wrong time. LoL!!!
Haha. Similar thing happened to me when I set up a playlist for a cookout on my brand new Acer. Got less of a reaction than you did, though, I'm sure.
Pretzel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist