Old 19th July 2014, 08:37   #1
djpete
Major Dude

Best AVS version for latest Winamp?

Hi could someone let a newbie to AVS know which is the most reliable version of AVS to use with latest version of Winamp to lesson chance of crashing?
Appreciated.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 09:02   #2
InCUbuS-94

I run Winamp 5.66 with AVS v2.81d (on Win XP) so this should do the work for you, though there are some issues with the newer OSses. Check the other threads for more info.

Here, enjoy:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=332212

It cannot rain forever
InCUbuS-94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 09:08   #3
djpete
Major Dude

Thanks.
I'm running Win 7 64bit. Currently testing Justin 2.9 as per here
http://visbot.deviantart.com/blog/40845418/
Will read and play with things.
Cheers

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 19th July 2014, 09:27   #4
DrO

the current Winamp installer installs 2.81d on XP and 2.82 on Vista and newer. that's the officially recommended versions from our view point and OS. though it'll crash on any version of Windows and full screen mode generally doesn't work on Vista and newer.

though either of the 2.9x variants should be stabler on newer OS then what's officially included in the installer but there is still the full screen issues as AVS just doesn't play well on newer versions of Windows due to its directdraw based nature which is crippled on newer versions of Windows.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 10:25   #5
djpete
Major Dude

Thanks for the update DrO. The clears it up nicely.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 5th August 2014, 18:52   #6
ChiggyChiggy

If the visualizations issues are from DirectDraw issues in the systems after XP, then wouldnt using one of the tools that patches DirectDraw issues fix it too?

With old games (starcraft 1 + Broodwar, Diablo 1&2, Red Alert 2, Warcraft) most have issues on systems after XP that are all DirectDraw related, but after running this patcher it fixes those issues, wouldnt doing that on Winamp fix the issue?

I need to test this out ASAP

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 18:57   #7
ChiggyChiggy

Is the main Winamp.exe the one that controls the visualizations btw? The patching tool requires a specific exe file and im not sure if its a separate executable that does the visualization stuff...

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
Old 5th August 2014, 18:58   #8
DrO

i have no idea what patchers you're talking about or what it is that they do. it's not like the source code for AVS isn't already available if someone wanted to work on it (though i doubt that'll happen as all i've really seen is the same as happened with open sourcing Milkdrop and functionality being taken for other projects rather than working on the original project).

as it is possible to use AVS in fullscreen mode if you disable Windows Aero mode, but it won't help to resolve the fundamental stability issues with AVS.

but however you look at it, AVS is just old and not current and so is no wonder it has issues.
Old 5th August 2014, 19:24   #9
ChiggyChiggy

Whenever i try to fullscreen on AVS i get one of two scenarios

a) I get a black screen with absolutely nothing, clicking anywhere exists out of it though (this is if i set AVS to be the exact same resolution of my screen)

b) it works (assuming i keep the AVS setting at its default resolution, which is wayyy smaller than my screen size) however itll sometimes return to the desktop and make everything have a weird blue, yellow, red hue to it and make things look pixelated, until i exit Winamp.

The second scenario is what i mean cuz that happens with old video games too when theyre run on more modern systems.
The patcher i was referring to fixes that issue when it happens to video games, so i was thinking perhaps it could fix that AVS issue for me too. Cuz to date ive never been able to get it to work for me in fullscreen.

Old 5th August 2014, 19:25   #10
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it's not like the source code for AVS isn't already available if someone wanted to work on it (though i doubt that'll happen as all i've really seen is the same as happened with open sourcing Milkdrop and functionality being taken for other projects rather than working on the original project).
Probably wouldve happened to Winamp too if it was open sourced lol.

Old 20th August 2014, 08:59   #11
djpete
Major Dude

Just an update.
No more crashes for me.
Using vis_chavs.dll as per my post above.
OS is Win 7 64bit
Haven't changed anything else, all my plugins work fine so seems for me this AVS version has solved my issues.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 28th October 2014, 12:20   #12
vst

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete1959 View Post
Just an update.
No more crashes for me.
Using vis_chavs.dll as per my post above.
OS is Win 7 64bit
Haven't changed anything else, all my plugins work fine so seems for me this AVS version has solved my issues.
I was under the impression it was the convolution.ape causing crashing with AVS in OS's other than XP. I was able to run many presets in W7(in fullscreen)but many that relied on that .ape would crash avs. Does the 2.91 vis_chavs.dll really fix those issues on W7? I just downgraded an old W7 laptop to XP solely for AVS, lol.

Any benefit using the 2.91 ver in an XP box? I'm guessing 2.81d is still king on XP
vst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 12:31   #13
DrO

AVS has always been unstable and to be blunt, downgrading an OS for a Winamp vis plug-in is just insane (more so that people using old Winamp releases when it's not Winamp that causes the instabilities).

most of the issues cannot be fixed as they are down to the ape files, some of the issues were attempted to be fixed with either of the 2.9x builds (chavs and my own) but that is still no guarantee of it helping.

the best advise is try the different versions of AVS until you get one that works best for you. as it varies far too much for people even on the same OS and Winamp version that it's luck of the draw as to what will or will not work.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:19   #14
vst

It's just an old laptop I got for free. I'll use it for my DJ gigs with a projector as I don't mind having an XP laptop laying around. Unfortunately I had to slipstream AMD drivers into the install which caused a bit of a headache but at least I'll have all my glorious late 90's presets back, heh.

I guess I'll try the 5.58/2.81d combo

Thanks,
Old 28th October 2014, 14:17   #15
DrO

you don't need to be installing Winamp 5.58!

Winamp 5.666 installs AVS 2.81d for XP and 2.82 for everything else.
Old 28th October 2014, 17:36   #16
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

basically, ^ what he said

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 18:09   #17
vst

Thanks guys. I thought I read people liking 5.58 for some reason but I'll stick with 5.666 as you suggest. Cheers.
Old 13th August 2015, 15:07   #18
dreadofmondays

Here's a link to a build of AVS. paste it into winamp / plugins like avs is meant to be.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94454272/avs.rar
I don't know if it will help maybe your problem already got solved but i figured this would be useful.
I don't know the version number, but it's the version i've been using for years and i've never had crashes or issues with it. Fullscreen works perfectly fine, in fact i've been able to successfully and consistently run desktop background overlay and i'm running win7 so i really don't get what all the fuss is about re. avs being unstable. Seems alright to me.

I hope this helps you guys achieve a good result. Enjoy!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94454272/avs.rar
dreadofmondays is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > AVS