Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets

Old 23rd May 2017, 15:07   #121
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

They will become more and more, also because I have found some old "Nigel Presets" with the titles and without the author-name. I still have to work on my ultra-archive, my forums-archive incl. my own edited versions, my archive with the edited typos and my selection.

For me everything has to be 100% perfect, and a typo is a big nightmare for me. How do You Yourself think about typos?...

Soon I will check out v13b...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 17:51   #122
Fumbling_Foo

Lol same here, I hate typos. I guess in a way too I'm trying to make Star Forge 100% perfect, even though there's no such thing, only better and better perhaps until the form is best realized for the preset. Its already at least pretty good I'm sure .

Here's version 13c already with a tweaked per vertex code, which has improved the appearance of the periphery with the larger outer circle. I've made it to where the larger outer circle is used more conservatively, letting the "clouds" meander, play, and develop a bit more and reducing excessive distortion and warping. Again, I hope this version is considered in winamp 5.8.

Like my avatar? Check out my Star Forge preset project .
Fumbling_Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 14:23   #123
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

And I myself have to make my preset pack versions 100% perfect...

Okay, I had planned to make some updates on Mediafire today, now I will do that tomorrow. Especially into my big ultra-pack 1 more preset will come, then these will be 51366 presets. Also I will update my other packs which contain presets with the original filenames incl. typos and packs where the typos had been edited by me, mostly different selections. I will exclude especially the very ugly presets from my own Winamps.

I will wait for the official Winamp 5.8, and I hope, that at least the other users on this planet will see the new Winamp Version some day. I don't like what many other people say in the other thread "Winamp News", that Winamp would be dead or die and would not have a comeback...

Edit:
Forgot the link to the latest page of the other thread...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....374929&page=48

Old 23rd June 2017, 04:58   #124
Fumbling_Foo

Hi Mrs. Klare . Been a while since I've checked in, hope you are doing well .

To commemorate my 100th post, I have ready for the community Star Forge v14, a very revamped version, perhaps even more so with v12 to v14 than v10 to v12. I've redone the per vertex code, which was responsible for most of the excessive warping, and I made a couple of tweaks in the warp shader to improve the appearance and behavior of the "clouds / waves". I've done away with the big outer circle from the per vertex code, leaving the center waveform to create outer circles instead. The preset looks far better now, especially in motion. Attached also are screenshots, with more in the next post. Enjoy! Oh, and I definitely hope this next version makes it to winamp 5.8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14g3-10.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	743.0 KB
ID:	53323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14g3-14.jpg
Size:	576.2 KB
ID:	53324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14g3-53.jpg
Size:	741.3 KB
ID:	53325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14g3-17.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	697.7 KB
ID:	53326  
Attached Files
File Type: milk Fumbling_Foo & Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14.milk (26.8 KB, 29 views)

Old 23rd June 2017, 05:00   #125
Fumbling_Foo

More screenshots for Star Forge v14.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14g3-01.jpg
Size:	667.8 KB
ID:	53327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14g3-28.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	671.2 KB
ID:	53328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14g3-38.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	522.5 KB
ID:	53329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14g3-42.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	746.2 KB
ID:	53330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumbling_Foo + Flexi, Martin, Orb - Star Forge v14g3-68.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	875.8 KB
ID:	53331  

Old 23rd June 2017, 15:32   #126
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I will take it home. I have realized already, it has another file-size than the previous version. Of course I will need a while, until I can login again and say, how does v14 look. But maybe next week I will see in this thread already v15, who will know that...

Of course also I myself want to have everything 100% perfect, and this week I have needed some hours to verify all my artist-links and update my "Sternenmaschine_Band_Members_Links.txt" (also on Mediafire), before maybe in a half year the next artist-links will not work anymore. After working on that not very much time has remained today anymore to write a little bit more.

But today You have inspired me to play some Dub Techno in Winamp and listen with the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro headphones this weekend, maybe already tomorrow...

Old 23rd June 2017, 17:37   #127
Fumbling_Foo

Yes, the bigger file size is indeed due to the extra code in the per-vertex category (and some commented out code that I left in lazily). And awesome! I'm glad to have inspired you ; good luck with your work!

Old 29th June 2017, 18:44   #128
Fumbling_Foo

I haven't come up with v15 yet (still no guarantees), but here's v14a with updated per-vertex code to reduce the sometimes excessive amounts of white and increase activity in the periphery. Also, the big outer ring has returned for some parts of some music where the beat detection quality gets high.

And at last, *finally*, Star Forge v14a is...
FPS NORMALIZED !!!

Old 1st July 2017, 08:28   #129
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
Lovely, although not FPS normalized
Attached a darker mod.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 16:59   #130
Fumbling_Foo

Sorry guys, thought I had gotten the warp shader to behave at 60fps, but I think I got it to slow down a bit at that fps though. Thanks very much for chiming in Martin, and what a nice new take on Star Forge THANKS ! It looks more refined than the vanilla Star Forge and it gives great screenshots too, Lovely mod!

Where should I look to normalize the fps, or is it virtually impossible with the warp shader (the original code from flexi's infused with the spiral wasn't fps normalized)?

Old 1st July 2017, 21:44   #131
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
Fumbling_Foo

Don't worry too much, most preset authors have never bothered about fps normalisation, I just mentioned it because you seem to do a lot of fine tuning and probably don't want your preset look different at 30 than at 60 fps.

The principle is simple - most code sections are executed once per frame. If you do something like
a = a+x;
or
a = a*x;
a will obviously change faster at higher frame rate. I noted that you have still a number of these constructs in your per frame section, e.g.

difftime = difftime + diff*0.03;

Don't bother about the warp shader, it can become quite difficult there. I never did fps normalisation in the wapr shader, although in principle it's the same. In the warp shader you often copy the previous screen content, to get the slow decay effect:

ret = GetPixel (uv) * 0.9;

and obviously we have the same issue here, the multiplication is done each frame; the higher the fps, the faster the image decays. A way out would be

ret = GetPixel (uv) * (1 - 0.1 * 30/fps);

but this may cause you discretisation problems as GetPixel() only delivers 8bit integers for each colour, no floating point values. Don't do it. Better focus on the per frame section.

Another note - you have quite some code in the per vertex section. Please be aware that the vertex section is executed (normally) 32 x 48 times per frame ! You can make your values for zoom, rot, dx, dy, sx, sy depend on the screen position x,y here, in a raster of 32 x 48 (or higher, this can be adjusted in the milkdrop settinge). Anyway, if you only use a global zoom or rot which does not depend on the screen position, better put this into the per frame section.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 15:48   #132
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I had seen v14, better than the previous versions. And soon I will see the next 2 versions.

I had to update my .txt-file a few more times, posted it in the thread "The day of reckoning for adobe flash moves closer" together with another new .txt-file.

And I have updated 2 .zip-folders with the pixel-widths 2000 and 4000 on Mediafire after adding 22 more images in 16:9, the dark versions with a gamma-correction of 0.50 (done with IrfanView). wallpapersdesktop.zip has to be updated on Mediafire the next time, I have to logout now.

2 new presets mean for me, that again I have to take some time for me and play Dub Techno...

Old 6th July 2017, 15:50   #133
Fumbling_Foo

Thanks for the replies guys, glad that v14 is an improvement, Klare . At this rate there might end up being a v20 after all, lol .

I made some edits to v14a to try to get it looking as good as it could at 60fps, and so there is still some attempt at fps normalization in the warp shader. Moved most of the per-vertex code to per-frame, thanks for the pro-tip, Martin! Also took a look under the hood with the comp shader made basic and made a couple of edits in the warp shader based on what I saw there, and the preset looks better now .

If my interest renews in preset authoring and if I can wrap my head around Martin's edits I might release a v15 (thanks for the code, Martin!). Again, I hope this latest version is considered in winamp 5.8. Cheers !

Old 7th July 2017, 14:22   #134
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I apologize, I didn't check out the other 2 presets yet.

The many thunderstorms slow me down very often in my activities as artist, at home, if I want to work at my PC, but also outside, if I want to make my photo-tours in the parks. And now I am slowed down because of the pain in my left hand. I have just pulled-over my hand bandage.

Updating right now wallpapersdesktop.zip, and then wallpaperscprokao.zip should follow. texturesinuse.zip has to wait until next week.

About our wishes to be 100% perfect: Oh no, in my newest .txt-file in another thread I have discovered a big mistake, and mistakes should not happen. I always control everything, but somehow I must have been in big stress. We all know anyway, that we have to update things very often, a file, folder, plugin, skin, preset etc...

Old 7th July 2017, 21:57   #135
hakanh

From the first version, this side has made the biggest advance. Cheers!
Now you have to concentrate out of the ring. Also, the gaps between transitions should be accelerated a little.
hakanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 14:20   #136
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

On the weekend I have seen v14a, v14b and "martin mod", and in the third one I have recognized some parts of another "martin preset". I have checked all 3 presets with and without one of my own sprite-friendly textures in the neverending rotation. Well done!

I like Your newest profile-image, hakanh. It would look very fine also on the desktop. And somehow I have the feeling, that the next surprise for the users of Winamp & Milkdrop could come soon...

Old 12th July 2017, 22:24   #137
Fumbling_Foo

Then I'd probably better hurry up and release version 14c and hope it makes it to winamp 5.8 !. This latest version features animated warp shader speed that seems to speed up the transitions a bit as hakanh suggested (thanks! I'm glad you like it and especially that this version is the most substantial improvement yet ), although its hard because the preset is fluid and constantly changing . Hope you guys enjoy, and thanks very much to the Star Forge veteran viewers like Mrs. Klare and hakanh for sticking around for the releases this long! Somebody be sure to let me know if the new animation needs improvement or should be scrapped altogether.

Edit: I haven't had the best of luck integrating some of martin's code from the martin mod and making it look good with vanilla star forge. But I've been tryin' and reserving v15 for that purpose or something equally spectacular.

Old 14th July 2017, 19:11   #138
Fumbling_Foo

I know this is really soon to be posting an update, but after a couple of tweaks to the warp shader animation it looks much better now. Hope this version is considered in winamp 5.8. Cheers and enjoy !

Old 15th July 2017, 13:41   #139
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I didn't check out v14c yet, and now I have downloaded also v14d, and I will put it into my Winamps on my PC & notebook, too. Maybe hakanh will be a little bit faster than me with reporting back.

Now I wish You a nice weekend...

Old 15th July 2017, 16:34   #140
Fumbling_Foo

I wish you a nice weekend too, Mrs. Klare , thanks .

Old 19th July 2017, 14:37   #141
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have seen Your newest presets. I had mentioned already, that the higher version numbers are much better than the lower version numbers.

After checking Your presets I began to check also Martin's newest preset, and I stayed on it. And I thought of our Planet Earth how it had looked after it had changed from a liquid planet to a solid planet, with a green sky, the bluish shining fog between the mountains and the sun at the horizon. And I think, You will agree with me, that we should take care of Our Blue Planet a little bit better than we are currently doing...

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets