johnnyfirday

i bought trimmer ..........
johnnyfirday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 19:21   #3482
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Some carpet tape (to hold an area rug in place) and some replacement light bulbs for the chandeliers:

Rust-Oleum gloss black spray paint (2 cans):

Air filter for the truck

Tire repair kit (plugs, rasp, roughing tool, rubber cement) because it seems that I'm always having to plug tires; even had to change a flat to the spare tire in the rain last week:

Grease gun attachments for hard-to-reach-fittings (two fittings on my drive shaft are in too tight a spot for a regular grease gun head, so a special accessories kit needed to be bought):

New Tires (refer to last few posts of this thread for details):

Wife wanted me to buy an "ab roller" for her, so I did, even though her abs look fine as is:

Coasters and glasses from Macy's for a wedding gift for a friend (16 glasses, 8 coasters):

Terminals, grilles, grille braces, wood glue, joint sealant, goop, fiberglass insulation, ear protection (loud saw noise indoors), and the spray paint above for a speaker project (everything else needed for the boxes e.g. mdf boards, subwoofers, wiring, solder, tools, etc. was random scrap stuff I already had laying around):

I'm too cheap and lazy to carpet the speakers, hence the spray painting. Finished boxes:

Also, a Unicomp black USB trackball buckling-spring style keyboard (ordered but not arrived yet):

Plus many loads of groceries and many other things I'll probably think of after submitting this post.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 19:31   #3483
LeionKeY

Send a message via Skype™ to LeionKeY
a taco
LeionKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 01:09   #3484
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

DVD - The Irish Rovers Christmas

http://irishroversmusic.com/ecom/?ca...=43#contenttop
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 11:34   #3485
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I have a thing for this
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 12:51   #3486
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Power steering fluid, soap and a 4 pack of light bulbs. Stupid power steering leak...

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 21:27   #3487
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

My first vehicle (1985 Volvo turbo) had a steering fluid leak. Pour-in sealants didn't work. When I got the price of the fix, I did the math on how long I could just keep topping it off with purchased transmission fluid, and it turned out to be many years, so that's what I did. Tranny fluid can be bought in gallons cheaper than steering fluid, and it works fine.

Old 1st October 2012, 21:42   #3488
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Tranny fluid can be bought in gallons cheaper than steering fluid, and it works fine.
Tranny fluid works in place of regular power steering fluid?

I just looked at the owners manual and it does say transmission fluid for power steering. I guess I'll have to stop buying power steering fluid.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 22:51   #3489
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yeah, when I bought it, I could get a gallon for just a bit more money than I'd pay for a quart. It's a great way to save money. Buy the cheap stuff; you don't have to worry about the fluid "breaking down", since it'll be leaked out and replaced before it gets old. Also, I found that you need to keep from turning all the way till it stops; if you do that, it all leaks out fast and you have to refill right away to prevent damage. Take a couple extra points on a turn-around if necessary to avoid turning the wheel all the way. That will reduce your leakage. I had to go a good two or so years dealing with it before I sold that car, and didn't have to buy a ton of tranny juice once I started being more careful.

For those of you in countries that are too smart to hold on to stupid measuring systems like ours, that means I was able to get nearly 4 times as much transmission fluid per amount of money spent when compared to the stuff that was actually labeled steering fluid, even though both "steering" and "transmission" fluids served the same purpose of filling my steering fluid reservoir.

Old 10th October 2012, 22:02   #3490
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

A trip to Europe
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 12:30   #3491
rockouthippie
Banned

I had this for a while. It's an Asus RT-N12 Router. I put dd-wrt on it, enabled the jffs filesystem and turn dnsmasq on (admin menu) and put a hosts file on it. Then I wrote a little .wanup script that runs when the ethernet comes up that copies the host file to /etc/hosts on the router and reroutes everything to a squid proxy server running on virtualbox.

So what did it buy me? A ad blocked, proxied lan. A boy does it make the web responsive. Caching the web in memory and on the harddisk is .... fast.. fast...

And I don't have to run ad blockers on each individual machine. The entire lan is ad blocked and cached. It even speeds this forum up.

You'd like this Ted. With the default hosts file, none of those dread dart cookies are ever gonna get set. You could probably even safely return to gmail. It's another layer on your firewall since the router is completely redirected. Since activity through the proxy server is logged, you have a record of all urls requested which could be interesting for various reasons.

My experiment here was because a friend wanted to keep his 10 year old off some sites and the little guy is smart. If you set his machine to use a proxy, he's smart enough to know and un-proxy it... But even I couldn't get into the router without the password.

So Teach? What do you think about this? I'm not sanguine about spying, even on a kid. This is his dad's idea and I'm not sure I want to share my brain matter for this purpose.

All activity through the router is logged by the proxy server. You can see everything that was visited in the access log file.

Or am I just being weird... I'd prefer that his dad grant web access on an inclusive basis instead of banning stuff by spying on the access logs. Maybe it's just semantics, but one way is spying, and the other way is giving kids the internet access that you want them to have.

I see a dad that's kinda looking at a "gotcha" when I think he should be looking more for a way to control the situation. I'm tempted for my own discipline to script my router to turn itself off at a reasonable hour. I'd get more sleep

How much espionage on your kids is cool? I wasn't a dad in the internet era.

Either way, I think the experiment helped my browsing experience noticeably. I'm thinking I want to see if I can get squid to run on something like a raspberry pi or an Arduino for a cheap web/squid server on the lan. This might be important because I am moving and maybe not to a place with great internet. I used squid back in DSL days and it helped a lot. I didn't think it would matter that much with FIOS, but it does. It's all the latency. Even 50 ms of latency adds up. In practice it's 200 ms. But if you've been to the page before any part of it saved in cache will get there in < 5 ms. By rerouting the lan, pages loaded on one machine are basically also loaded on your other machines.

It's pretty cool.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 11th October 2012 at 13:39.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 15:39   #3492
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Most schools do some form of what you're talking about. Personally I'd love the ad-blocking, although I realize that ad-blocking defeats the measures taken to make web sites free. I still block them anyway. Raising a kid these days is difficult. On one hand you don't want them accessing shit that can really mess them up. On the other hand you need to teach them how to handle it if they or someone they know does it anyway.

Spying is a parental duty, for better or worse. If a kid says, "it's nunya biz-nass", you simply reply, "It's my computer, my house, my electric bill, and my duty as a parent to monitor what you do", or you could simply say, "Computer with my monitoring, or no computer, your choice". I think letting the kid know ahead of time he/she's being spied causes a smaller argument than the one you'll have if you try to do it in secret and get caught, but every once in a while you have to test someone to see if they handle new freedoms responsibly. It's the same dilemma faced by parents who want GPS tracking when they let their teen borrow the car. The ultimate goal here needs to be eventual release with a reasonable amount of confidence that the kid has learned enough responsibility to have freedoms.

Old 14th October 2012, 23:26   #3493
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
My parents were very lax about what I could or couldn't do with a computer, which is odd because they were rather strict about most everything else (TV, video games, etc.). In fact, I didn't even have a curfew because I rarely just 'went out' at night.

It's kind of interesting. The lack of PC supervision probably helped immensely towards becoming a successful sysadmin. I wonder what would have happened had they taken the same attitude towards PC time that they did towards the rest of my upbringing. Not that it matters. The happiest I've ever seen my mother was when I said the following to her "Mom, thanks for doing such a good job raising me.".

/nostalgia This got serious pretty fast!

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 00:17   #3494
rockouthippie
Banned

Use my dns server if you want. You'll be a lot less troubled. My hosts file is pretty good.

Put these in your router.

DNS servers
Old 15th October 2012, 00:31   #3495
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Maybe at least the first one.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 15th October 2012, 00:37   #3496
rockouthippie
Banned

10 dot whatever are Class C addresses. To point to nowhere. Usually the router will assign automatic nameservers if you don't explicitly tell it not to. Then it bypasses the hosts file and resolves what you dint want resolved.

This is on a dedicated server in a datacenter, so... it should be reliable and it's caching, so it should be right quick at lookups.

It kills all the Google & dart stuff. I opened up Hulu because 5 minutes of black was worse than the commercials. And CBS... because I couldn't watch 60 minutes.

I basically took some "bad hosts" files and made my own.
Old 15th October 2012, 00:50   #3497
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Not to nitpick, but it's a class A.

That's kind of strange that your router will assign secondary and tertiary nameservers even if you explicitly configure the primary. What model is that? I've never seen it before.

It's pretty cool what you're doing, though. I do like the idea of getting bogus DNS responses for advertising and other crap sites. Even easier than adblock, and works without having to have adblock installed!

Old 15th October 2012, 01:51   #3498
rockouthippie
Banned

I think it's because of masking, but a name resolving to 127.0.0.1 doesn't end the lookup.
Even if you do it in windows i.e. 69.64.58.75 and 8.8.8.8 (Googles nameserver) the things you wanted the lookup to fail on.... resolve.

Ad block... yeah... even my tablet, phone, etc....

If you know how to do this right, so it fails over to regular nameservers.... But maybe you really didn't want to do that ??? It is sorta the point.

You could also set up custom domains and share them with your friends. Would you like to be facebook or twitter?
Old 15th October 2012, 02:46   #3499
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Samsung Galaxy S3. My first Android phone!

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 03:53   #3500
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^nice phone!

Did I just miss something? Shy are you going to Europe?

Old 16th October 2012, 04:29   #3501
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Last thing I bought?

Operators ticket. :P

Mayo.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 10:30   #3502
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post

Did I just miss something? Shy are you going to Europe?
Yup!
We go next month for a whirlwind tour of London, Paris, Rome and Venice!
Old 16th October 2012, 12:30   #3503
rockouthippie
Banned

And McDonalds will follow you. Maybe it's just me, but I think the experience of being in major cities is kind of generic. Never been to Venice, but London and Paris are not enough different from New York, Chicago or Seattle .... I mean.... it's a city... You eat... you look at the sights....

Sign me up for a cycle trip through Spain before I die, but I'll skip the cities.

It's not that I didn't have a good time in London and Paris. It's just like.... uhh... I coulda had a V8.

Happy Trails.
Old 16th October 2012, 22:17   #3504
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Wow, thanks for trying to burst my little bubble of joy

We are excited about this trip. Never thought I would be in any position to provide my child with this kind of experience I myself only dreamt about.

I think it's fucking awesome that I will be walking down streets that historical figures I've read about used to roam. I get to see with my own eyes buildings that voices from the past have described to me.

edit: jaz and I also have the perfect opportunity to meet friends in person that we've known online for like, forever.

After a really shit year of depression and a future that may be filled with operations and a wheelchair, yeah, I would like to go to cities that make you yawn.
Old 17th October 2012, 07:02   #3505
daverafa

Send a message via AIM to daverafa
220-110 step 200W down power so I can play xbox when I move to Europe. Dont know why the heck microsoft or any other company would just make a dual-voltage powersupply
daverafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 07:56   #3506
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

^ we accidentally blew up my PS we brought over from the States to Australia by not using a proper power thingy

The sparks were quite impressive.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:02   #3507
ujay
Forum King

Take no notice of that nasty RoH, Shy Shy.

Get yourself over here, we know how to show a gal a good time :wink:

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 12:47   #3508
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Looking forward to it

It's funny what people back here want us to see in London; quite a few have requested pics of us at Lords. My sis-in-law has ordered us to have a meal in a "real, old" pub. I think jaz's cousin would be heart broken if we didnt ride one of the double decker buses.

I would have loved have gone to the Arsenal match that's on at that time, but, DAMN is it bloody expensive!

And I can't wait to see Shy Jr's face when we hit the British Museum's Egyptian gallery
Old 28th October 2012, 21:45   #3509
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Garmin 310XT GPS Watch with heart rate monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun.../dp/B0025VKW5K

This is one of the coolest gadgets I've ever picked up. I don't have to guess at how far a run was or go over the course in my car to estimate it. It accurately tells me how far I ran, my pace per mile, calories burned, time, and any of about 12 other stats. It even has a 'virtual partner' feature that shows you compared to someone running at the pace you set up. Loving this so far!

After the run, you upload the data to garmin connect, which gives you this type of graph (Not mine, just something I saw on google images):

Old 28th October 2012, 22:02   #3510
rockouthippie
Banned

>220-110 step 200W down power

Uh... are you sure you needed a voltage converter? Most switching power supplies these days will take either voltage. Like my laptop. I didn't need to replace the supply, just the cord.

Quote:
Garmin 310XT GPS
Before I popped $250 for a watch with no precious metal, it'd have to blow me.
Old 28th October 2012, 23:01   #3511
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The power cord is part of the power supply. It converts to around 18 or 19 volts direct current from what the wall outlet gives. It would require a new power cord to make this happen outside of the US though.

Old 28th October 2012, 23:08   #3512
rockouthippie
Banned

Or one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Europ...+usa+to+europe

6 for $1.58

Like I said, most electronic things don't care about the input voltage anymore.
Old 29th October 2012, 00:10   #3513
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
>220-110 step 200W down power

Uh... are you sure you needed a voltage converter? Most switching power supplies these days will take either voltage. Like my laptop. I didn't need to replace the supply, just the cord.

Before I popped $250 for a watch with no precious metal, it'd have to blow me.
It's worse than that. I sprang for the one with the heart rate monitor, so it was a $300 watch, which is ironically much more expensive than my watch for daily wear.

Old 29th October 2012, 00:15   #3514
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

If it's in the name of getting healthy, $300 costs less than all the co-pays and other expenses associated with what happens if you don't get in shape.

Old 14th November 2012, 22:08   #3515
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Tea, a London Underground day ticket, some more tea and Lunch at Lords Tavern ...

A couple of Americans and some Australian bloke showed up as well for good measure
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 15:48   #3516
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

I should have left culturally illiterate bastard with you :rollseyes:
Old 17th November 2012, 14:28   #3517
ujay
Forum King

Back safe then I take it ShyShy. The thing is there's High Culture and there's Low Culture, and then there's Australian Culture
Tell Hugh I mixed up some Rum Punch last night, and very good it was too.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 17:54   #3518
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Hi UJ, we're in Rome right now, then off to Venice on Monday by train.

Glad you liked the rum, Jones forgot his bottle
Old 18th November 2012, 11:55   #3519
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Time to log off of Winamp for a few days. Jones, Ted, and Widdy showed up in a dream I had last night. . .

Old 22nd November 2012, 02:39   #3520
rockouthippie
Banned

We were talking about RAID 0 once. Well this array is starting to fail with a life of 2 years, 11 months. It has BSODed a couple times, it's still working. One of the drives properly reported a SMART error just like it's supposed to work.

I bought a couple WD 1TB "Blacks". That should cook pretty good. I'll copy the filesystem over with linux, and be right where I was. It looks like that array should be about 4X faster than these cheapo Toshibas.

Thailand's hard drive factories quit floating away. Happy days are here again. The drives are bigger, faster and cheaper than ever.

Amazon briefly had 2TB WD Blue drives for $69, but one per customer.

On my want list. An 2.5" SSD... cheap.. 64G or bigger. It's Black Friday again. If you see something....
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions