Old 7th July 2010, 14:07   #1
Orions Radio

Do you need to broadcast in 2.0 now?

I had a problem with the web based player reconnecting every 10 minutes which would play my intro file every 10 minutes... Today I went back to the site to use the flash player and see if they have resolved the problem so I can remove the part of the intro that explains how messed up the web based player is.... They have fixed the 10 minute problem but have created an even bigger problem which makes my station unusable through SHOUTcast.

My intro played fine then the music started... It plays for 1 second then pauses for 1 second then plays for one second .... and so on... this isn't a buffering issue it is literally a pattern... sound for one second ... silence for one second. This happens on two different boxes running Windows 7 and Windows XP. It also happens in both IE8 and Firefox. I also noticed that my song info was saying that it wasn't entered by the broadcaster.

Other stations seem to have the song info and play fine. My question is... Do I have to be broadcasting in 2.0 now for my station to work on SHOUTcast? Am I going to be forced to run the new version?

If not ... what do I need to do to get the station to play (and show the song info) properly on SHOUTcast?

I use the SHOUTcast Server Version 1.9.8/Linux and SAM Broadcaster 4.2.2 (running on wine / Linux)

John Orion
Orions Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 15:39   #2
elbow

You know what's funny? I was JUST having the same issue.
I have now fixed it.

http://www.insidevside.com:8000
http://www.insidevside.com:8002

What you want to do is, on your SAM encoder, make sure the box that says "allow scripts on server" is unchecked. Afterwards, let the encoder reboot, and then change the song and refresh your DNAS.
elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 16:47   #3
Orions Radio

Thanks for the suggestion and reply

But that's not my issue. I double checked that the setting for scripting was off .. it was and has been from day 1 .. years ago

Thanks anyway. No one has even come close to anything useful (this question is in another section also)

So far I have had only other users try to help ... I have been completely ignored by nullsoft/shoutcast.

Thanks again for trying tho

John Orion
Old 18th July 2010, 18:28   #4
elbow

Welcome. I've had friends have this trouble too. We've always came to these conclusions:

- No broadcasting in AAC
- No scripting enabled
- User firewall off (to allow outbound connections)
- An attempt at changing ports (it actually works sometimes)

What does your config look like?
Old 19th July 2010, 10:59   #5
Orions Radio

a different post with all the info

I have a different post with more information

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=320740

Quote:
- No broadcasting in AAC
- No scripting enabled
- User firewall off (to allow outbound connections)
- An attempt at changing ports (it actually works sometimes)
Not broadcasting in AAC

No scripting is enabled

Router has all the proper ports forwarded (the station has worked for years)
I do block IP's from a lot of hackers and spammers that have tried to attack my radio station, http server and email server but with the logs running I have gone to SHOUTcast and tried to connect... get the skipping and the logs show no ip's getting blocked so that's not an issue.

Runs off port 1111

but again ... the link above has all the sc_serv configuration as well as the SAM configuration

John Orion
Old 19th July 2010, 17:26   #6
elbow

That is your problem. It can not run of port 1111. The last number needs to be even (that's why when it comes to hosts, it goes port 8000, 8002, 8004, 8005, etc.) the odd numbered port is always used for OUTGOING connections. So right now, you are broadcasting to your server, and it is broadcasting back at you.

Change the port to something like 1110

Look at this for an example of what I mean
http://free.*************.com/fcp/fr...?page=pservers

bah god damn link blocker. but this is what i wanted you to see:
Server by admin on port 2000
Server by gumisie on port 3386
Server by fmciudad106 on port 2002
Server by frankopavic on port 2004
Server by antenazd1 on port 2006
Server by antenazd2 on port 2008
Server by antenazd3 on port 2010
Server by danyel on port 2012
Old 20th July 2010, 12:57   #7
Orions Radio

ROTFLMFAO

Thanks dude,
This issue is so frustrating ... I needed a good laugh.

if this was meant to be serious ... which I kinda think it was ... I will explain that a port has nothing to do with it as long as it has been properly opened in your router or firewall.

ports are just like pipes ... its just a path for the data to take ...
theres no such thing as a one way pipe just as theres no such thing as a one way port
When you set up shoutcast on port 1111 it gets its data on port 1112 as soon as the connections are made the 'direction' is established by the connection just as the direction is set by the pressure of the liquid in a pipe. So if you had a pipe connected at point A(in) and point B (out).. if the pressure starts at point B and travels to point A then its incoming. If the pressure starts at point A and travels to point B then its outgoing.

So when I start my server at Point A (my hardware) and it connects to point B (the internet) port 1111 and port 1112 open port 1112 starts sending data to point B so it is outgoing ... port 1111 starts listening for something coming from point B so it becomes incoming
Nothing changes by me putting the server on 1110 except for 1110 would be incoming and 1111 would be outgoing ... just a number just a pipe ... completely interchangable

This problem has already been established to be a problem with the Intro file.
If it is removed the station works fine on the new SHOUTcast site. It is now a problem with the SHOUTcast site and they need to fix their player AGAIN .

But .. just to prove this I did change my port to 1110 ... no change to the way it worked on SHOUTcast. It's not a port issue. The station has run on port 1111 for almost 5 years. The station still works on everything but when using the new SHOUTcast web based player.

The reason you see the 8000 8002 and so on is because sc_serv uses two ports 8000 and 8001 so if you ran two servers you couldnt run them at 8000,8001 you would need to run them at 8000,8002 but you can just as easily run them at 7999 and 8001 as long as you leave 8000 for the 7999 connection and 8002 for the 8001 connection free

If you have a shoutcast1 server of your own ... when you start it look at the log... it will say something like :

portbase:8000
listening for connection on port 8001

even tho this seems confusing to me because ... since people use the portbase port to connect i consider the portbase to be the one 'listening for connections'

John Orion
Old 25th July 2010, 15:11   #8
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
This is incorrect about the port connections. The reason that they are spaced the way they are is because you must always have +1 port next to the one your using open because SC uses this one as a listening socket. As far as SC2 requiring this, I havent tinkered with it enough to verify this, but thats why you always see servers hosting on even sockets. The reason Why? Ususally they start with 8000.

KNSJ.org 89.1 FM San Diego
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 18:09   #9
Orions Radio

Yeah .. as simplified "What I said"

John Orion
Old 29th October 2013, 20:38   #10
tofaeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutish Sailor View Post
This is incorrect about the port connections. The reason that they are spaced the way they are is because you must always have +1 port next to the one your using open because SC uses this one as a listening socket. As far as SC2 requiring this, I havent tinkered with it enough to verify this, but thats why you always see servers hosting on even sockets. The reason Why? Ususally they start with 8000.
thx for clarification
tofaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 20:55   #11
DrO

with a v1.x DNAS, it uses 'portbase' (listeners / web request) and 'portbase+1' (sources) as v1.x cannot deal with clients and sources on the same port due to the protocol design.

with a v2.0 DNAS, it follows the same methodology as a v1.x DNAS to maintain compatibility with v1.x and v2 protocol sources. the only difference is if using a v2 protocol source it connects on 'portbase' so it can all be run on the same port if only using v2 based tools.

with a v2.2 DNAS, it can do the same as a v2.0 DNAS. however, it can be configured to disable the 'portbase+1' support (if wanted) or use a completely different port i.e. 'portlegacy' (which in the source software then has be entered as 'portlegacy-1' so the correct port will be used by v1 protocol software (which is the only type which can connect to it).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Site Design