Old 5th January 2001, 20:38   #1
40 Watt

Hi there--

I've looked through mountains of posts and can't find anything remotely close to my problem, and I've checked the FAQ and all the documentation I can get my hands on, to no avail, so here goes:

I'm running a Dell Dimension 4100 with 256MB RAM, and running Win2000. I've got a SoundBlaster Live! Value card for sound, and a 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI card for network connections. I'm connected to a Microsoft Exchange server for my e-mail, and we've got both Microsoft Networking and NetWare that I'm connected to for network access.

The problem is this: About every couple of hours or so, my network connection will completely and utterly fail. I have a mail checker that sits in my taskbar tray and checks periodically for new mail on the Exchange MAPI server, and that's the first sign of trouble, usually. Then Internet Explorer will stop being able to connect to anything, followed by Microsoft Outlook, AOL Instant Messenger, and my telnet client. The reason I suspect a conflict with WinAmp is that it seems like this happens almost exclusively while WinAmp is playing. Plus, when this does happen, WinAmp will lock up and I'll have to get the Task Manager out to kill it. After I kill WinAmp, things IMMEDIATELY go back to normal.

I've turned off the WinAmp Agent, set WinAmp to "No internet connection" among other things...

Any ideas? Has anyone else ever had similar problems? Is there any history of conflicts between WinAmp, Win2K and/or Microsoft Exchange servers?
40 Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2001, 08:30   #2
johnm

Maybe related- if I start up Winamp with MS Outlook already running, then the next e-mail to arrive almost always causes Outlook to crash. That is, I get the 'an error has occurred- do you want to ignore/close'. I close Outlook and restart it, and it seems OK after that. Winamp itself doesn't seem affected.

I'm on a P2 400MHz 64Mb Win95 on a company network with Outlook connected to an MS Exchange server. I use the Outlook 'notify me of incoming e-mails' option.

John
johnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support