Old 15th February 2008, 21:04   #1
White Raven
Little Winged One

Shiny Tales from Target Customer Service!

Alright so it's been years and stuff, whatever.

I sit nestled in my small, three-wall cubicle working as a CSR for Target. This is unique and relevant since I have never been in a Target, never seen a Target, barely even heard of Target before this job and that is because Targets do not exist in Canada.

Basically, all day I get calls from mouthbreathers who can't figure out that we are the Customer Service part, not an actual Target, and that most of our departments are small subsidiaries that are specifically set up just to redirect the retards who smash '0' with chimp-like enthusiasm whenever an automated directory comes up on a phone line.

My favourite is that we handle the Target Clinics phone line, which is entirely useless being that 99% of the calls are either Misdirected, or need to be redirected to Target Clinics Billing, which we do not handle.
So we get tons of people calling, prattling off their sensitive information immediately, thinking we're a *******y or a Clinic and asking medical advice.

Thanks for calling Target ClearRX, my name is Jamie, how can I help you?

YEAH HI WHAT SHOULD I DO I JUST BOUGHT SOME ANTIBIOTICS FROM YOUR *******Y, AND NOW I AM BLEEDING FROM THE ANUS PROFUSELY AND I CAN'T SEE STRAIGHT FROM LOSS OF BLOOD, WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Uh, you need to hang up and call 911 immediately, sir! Get yourself to a hospital!

WELL, WHY CAN'T YOU HELP ME!? WHAT SHOULD I DO!?

Sir, I'm not qualified to give you medical advice, you need to call --

WELL WHY THE HELL NOT!? OH JESUS, I'M SEEING BLACK SPOTS! BLOOD IS EVERYWHERE!

Because I'm not a *******ist sir! I'm a 19 year old kid in a callcentre! I'm going to disconnect this immediately so you can call 911! CALL YOURSELF AN AMBULANCE!
*Click*

I have no idea what happened to that guy. We don't have their number or area code or anything, and the guy was well enough to scream at me so I supposed he could also have the strength to dial 911. Why the fuck would you call Target Customer Service if you're bleeding to death from the ass? What mental process connects Target with Life Threatening Emergency?

--

Thank you for calling Target Clinics, my name is Jamie, how can I help you?

YES I WENT TO YOUR CLINIC AND THE RECEPTIONIST SAID THAT TARGET TAKES <kind of medical insurance> SO I GOT MY FLU SHOT THERE AND SHE SAID THAT I WOULD NOT GET A BILL BUT I GOT A BILL AND I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS!!! ALSO I CALLED THIS NUMBER BEFORE AND I SPOKE WITH STEVE AND STEVE GAVE ME A GUEST RELATIONS NUMBER WHICH HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY PROBLEM, JUST TO GET RID OF ME!

Okay Ma'am, there are a couple things you can do here... First, did you speak with the Guest Relations department number that he gave you? That way you can lodge a complaint and get things moving to have this resolved. Also, did you contact the Target Clinics Billing Department?

YES I SPOKE WITH THEM SOMEONE FROM INDIA OR SOMETHING ANSWERED AND THEY TOLD ME TO TALK TO <kind of medical insurance>!!!!

Well, Ma'am, I would suggest you call up <kind of medical insurance> and discuss this with them, also, go down to the Target Clinic where you had the problem and speak to someone there.

THE RECEPTIONIST TOLD ME VERY CLEARLY THAT YOU ACCEPT <kind of medical insurance> AND I ASKED VERY CLEARLY AND THIS IS BULLSHIT THAT YOU ARE NOT ACCEPTING IT.

I believe you that you did ask and were told that we do accept it. I'm very sorry, but that receptionist might have been misinformed. Nevertheless I'm sure something can be done about this.

SO BECAUSE YOUR EMPLOYEE MADE A MISTAKE I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT?

Not necessarily, Ma'am. Like I said, call these numbers, speak with these people and be sure you go back to that Clinic and speak with the manager in charge.

SO BECAUSE OF ALL OF THIS I HAVE TO CALL AROUND SO MANY TIMES AND I GUESS IT'S MY FAULT BECAUSE I LIED!!!!!111 *Click*

???

--

Thanks for calling Target GiftCards, my name is Jamie, how can I help you?

DO U HAEFS TEH WII?

Oh, I'm sorry, this is the Target GiftCard Centre, we're not actually a Target, so I don't have information on stock. What I can do for you though, is get you a number to a local Target so you can ask them, ok?

OKAI. DO U NO WUT GAEMS COME WIHT TEH WII?

No, as we're the GiftCard department and not a Target, but can I have your zip code please so I can find you a Target close to you? They'll know for sure.

<zip>

*Relays number of local Target*

TAHNKS, O & HOW MUCH IS TEH WII?

The actual Target store will know that for sure, ok?

*Click*

--

Target.com is a separate callcentre from us and perhaps the most useless bag of sopping cumrags I have ever been aware of. Not only do they not listen to the guests that call them, but they continually redirect them to us for no other reason than the fact that they heard a keyword in what the person said, or that they just can't do their jobs. All too often I get redirects from Target.com only to have to inform them that all along it was Target.com's problem, and so to redial them and ask to speak to a supervisor and hope to the sweet gods that they know half of what they are supposed to.

I have actually had calls from Target.com employees asking ME how to do THEIR jobs. WTF!?!? Doesn't it stand to reason that a problem with the website would require the website's support team? Why in the fuck would a problem involving the coding of the site be handled by Target GiftCards!?
Jesus.

I'll probably be updating this periodically with more SHINING CALLS FROM TARGET.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 04:29   #2
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
That was awesome. Please do post some more shining calls from Target.

I still work at the same fucking gas station from when you were last here. The job still sucks but I don't care nearly as much anymore. I've learned that I can slack off and get away with pretty much anything I want. I still do my work, I just sort of half-ass it and get it done within the first hour. Then the rest of my shift is basically spent sitting around waiting for the next customer come in.

I tried working my ass for the first two years with no raises or promotions, so why bother? I've been looking for a new job for well over a year now, trying like hell to get into the hospital here as a nurse assistant or patient transporter to get some experience for my major. But school gets in the way (studying radiology, hence the hospital), not to mention the fact that the economy is in the shitter and companies aren't doing nearly as much hiring anymore.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 08:53   #3
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Mine are relatively boring.

"Custom Framing, this is <-->."
"I'm calling to check on my order, is it ready? My last name is <-->."
[pause]
"It would appear that your order is due on the 24th, today is the 20th. We'll have it ready by its original due date and give you a call as soon as its finished."
"Thank you."
"Have a good day. Bye."
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 09:07   #4
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
I wish my Target-related stories were as interesting...But that's why I work in the backroom, to socially seclude myself from the rest of the store most of the time as necessary...

On several occasions when the LOD makes backroom push CAFs out onto the floor, I'll have to deal with people...Most aren't that bad, but every now and then I still get someone who's arrogant...

Everything we have is put on the floor if it's put on clearance, and once it's gone, it's gone...If it's an item that has a display example to go with it, we have to send the display back to the manufacturer, or the District Company...Like last month, when this one guy came in wanting to buy something on clearance, it took several attempts to tell him that if he doesn't see it out anywhere, we're probably out of it...When he asked if he could buy the display and I told him we can't sell displays, he sarcastically asked me "Well, what do you do with them; Throw them in a river?"

And over the Christmas season last year, we apparently do make an exception to sell our Christmas tree displays...But that's something I'm not aware of, because I don't buy Christmas trees, and I don't pay attention to those minor things because I don't work the sales floor...Some woman asked me how a Christmas tree would be delivered if someone bought the display, and I went into my routine "Can't sell display because of blah blah" explanation, and then the woman walked over and pointed to a sign on a tree that indicated the display trees could be indeed bought...But she did it in an asshole manner, like she was holier than thou, and I'm just your typical dumbass know-nothing employee...

Fucking hell, I'm tired of using my box-cutter solely for opening boxes...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 13:03   #5
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I work for the network department, so I only go on site when there's a problem that the front helpdesk guys couldn't solve because it was either a physical network problem, or so complicated that it required us to handle it.

That being said, and taking a look at the help ticket history, there have been some truly idiotic support requests.

One person that comes to mind is a guy that called the helpdesk saying that they wanted an Administrator to come and unlock the computer, not realizing that he could just turn it off and then back on again.

Often the helpdesk people are very quick to say 'broken network jack' and throw the ticket down to networking. About half the time, I get there and the computer isn't properly configured and I walk back and start complaining to the desk manager.

I suck at telling stories

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 14:12   #6
tuckerm
Forum Emo

You're lucky you have front helpdesk guys, We do it all.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 21:54   #7
White Raven
Little Winged One

Hi, thanks for calling Target GiftCards, my name is Jamie, how can I help you?

I WANUH CHECK DE BALANCE ON MUH GIFFKERD.

Okay, can I have the number on the back of the card starting with 041 please?

BBEEP BOOP -* *is punching in the numbers*

Oh, ma'am, I need you to read me the numbers, ok?

I need the number starting with 041, found on the back of the card.

DER'S NO NUMBER LIKE THAT.

Flip the card over, on the back, you should see a strip that says 'Gently remove to check balance.' Some need to be pulled off, others need to be scratched off. Carefully remove it and read me the number, ok?

*mutes the microphone* HOLY DOGSHIT WOMAN, YOU'RE THE REASON BUSH GOT RE-ELECTED!

*Reads number*

There's twelve cents on the card.

MUHTHANKYUH *Click*

Old 17th February 2008, 02:48   #8
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

wow. . .Are people really this stupid?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 17th February 2008, 19:46   #9
White Raven
Little Winged One

All my postings of Shiny Tales from Target are all actual calls I have received and dealt with. So, in short, yes.

Old 18th February 2008, 03:51   #10
sgtfuzzbubble011

I feel so sorry for you. Nobody should have to deal with idiocy in such great amounts.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 04:23   #11
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Except for the shoutcast support people.
Old 18th February 2008, 17:27   #12
xzxzzx
Forum King

Don't worry, WR. In five years, all the Canadian stores will have call centers in the US, and it'll be ten Canadian cents to the American dollar.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 23:05   #13
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
Except for the shoutcast support people.
And we do. I would have to say that 75% of my posts there are helping people forward their fucking ports. Over and over and over and over again.

Learn to search already.

.... Or ....

I'm on my six meg download speed dsl line. I broadcast at 192k. I setup serverz for 30 people. It buffer. WHY? My computer is a quad core phenom 2 gigazillion gigahurtz with 500 gigz of ramz. Is my computer not fast enough? What do the people that host thousands run on?

And they then proceed not to understand you when you tell them its all about the upload.

.... Or ....

Download speed / (bitrate * 1.1) = max listeners. That maffs is too hard. Can someone else help me out?
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 03:08   #14
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
I don't mean to steal your thread, but I got this today at work.

Guy orders two milkshakes, pays for them. Pulls up to the window and when I give them to him he starts bitching about how much they were. WHY THE FUCK DID YOU BUY THEM THEN?
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 05:16   #15
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

I bought a quart of orange chicken today. I don't give a fuck how much it was, it was delicious.
Old 19th February 2008, 10:37   #16
Mr. Scrivenator

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Scrivenator
You think that's bad try talking to the AOL customer support when you know what the problem is but they make you do all sorts of irrelevant shit anyway
Mr. Scrivenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 11:42   #17
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Why are you calling them if you know what the problem is?

Old 19th February 2008, 21:52   #18
White Raven
Little Winged One

Hi, thanks for calling Target Team Recognition, my name is Jamie, how can I help you?

Hi, uh, do you have any... Target themed sexual products?

... ... ... I'm sorry, sir?

Uhnvmbye *Click*

???

Old 20th February 2008, 07:06   #19
Avion
Major Dude

oh come on that one was made up.
and if not, wtf
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 17:33   #20
White Raven
Little Winged One

No, I am completely serious. It may have been a prank call, but that one was totally real. He was all husky sounding and everything.
It's like YES, WE HAVE A TARGET DOG PRINTED TUBULAR MASSAGER FOR $14.99!
TRY THE LUBE, IT'S REAL SLIDY

Old 20th February 2008, 19:25   #21
Avion
Major Dude

husky sounding? oh my
sounds hawt lol

but really, he could have looked target up online, or asked you what kind of products you carry. but "target-themed" sexual products? I don't know what to make of that
Old 20th February 2008, 20:01   #22
White Raven
Little Winged One

I'm guessing he was asking if we have any dildos with Target bullseyes on them or some shit. Lord knows we make everything else with bullseyes on it.

-- I just got this
There's a program at Target and a few other chains I guess called the Bonus Recharge card. It's for Pay As You Go phones, you buy $20 worth of minutes 5 times and get $10 of minutes free. THERE ARE SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH IT and we can do nothing about it.

Thanks for calling Target Wireless, my name is Jamie, how can I help you?

Yeah there's a problem with my Recharge Card. It's not accepting it.

Okay, can I have the PIN please, I'll check the card and make sure it's ok.

*Relays PIN*

Sorry sir, the system is saying that the number doesn't match any card on record... The next time you go to Target, just take the card along with you and the clerk can reactivate it for you.

But I didn't get this card at Target.

What

Yeah I got it at K-Mart.

Uh, call K-Mart? Or AT&T? This is Target, sir.

Oh, ok.

Last edited by White Raven; 20th February 2008 at 21:14.
Old 21st February 2008, 12:06   #23
sgtfuzzbubble011

Old 21st February 2008, 21:05   #24
Avion
Major Dude

I'm so glad I don't have her job, I'd probably go postal.
but I see jobs like that here in vancouver for like $15/hr. with medical and dental. you must be doing pretty decent hey?
Old 22nd February 2008, 23:00   #25
White Raven
Little Winged One

Huhuhuhuhhuhuhhuhuh. $15/hr, I fucking wish.
$9, no med or dental.

But I did just get bumped up to full time, so I get a whole other two quarters, and three months from now I get some benefits.
Which will probably cut me down even more to like, $7 when everything is said and done.
I'm in Winnipeg, now, not Victoria, and they pay us less here.

*Beavis laugh* I just got an awesome prank call.

Hi, thanks for calling Target, my name is Jamie, how can I help you?

ARE YOU GAY????

Yes.

... ... Oh. *Click*

He sounded like, eleven or some shit.

Oh, and:

Hi, thanks for calling Target ClearRX, my name is Jamie, how can I help you?

Yeah I just called the Customer Relations Department, and they were like, in India or something.
... Yeah.
Did you know that?
Yes, ma'am, I was aware of that.
Well, I don't recommend doing that. I'm not going to waste my time with someone who doesn't even speak English. *Click*

Okay, I understand the premise behind this one... I hate getting calls from or calling to somewhere and it's in Uberpakilolisomeuzbewherekistan, but you don't need to be such a flaming cunt about it.

Old 28th February 2008, 07:16   #26
White Raven
Little Winged One

Heh. I got fired for this post. What a world, what a world.

Old 28th February 2008, 17:53   #27
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

No shit, huh?
Old 29th February 2008, 01:18   #28
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
You serious, that's insane - do you mean the post from 2-22-08? Or was it another that was edited?

If they want to fire you for bullshit like that they might as well say goodbye to my family's business. Too bad for them, I actually spent pretty damn good money there.

It's not just to back up a forum member, but more to give a message that corporate bullshit (e.g. outsourcing jobs and paying pathetic wages for hard work) will not be tolerated. I haven't set foot or spent a penny at Wal*Mart since 2001, so adding Target to the list shouldn't be hard at all.

I hope the undereducated, incompetent lowlifes that fired you are reading this. After a quick look at the Target items on my credit card statements, it's easy to estimate that they just lost over two thousand dollars per year in sales from me alone.

Capitalism gives me the right to pay people who deserve my hard earned money and to say fuck you to those who don't deserve it.

Bye bye Target. WR deserves better and will very likely find it.

Don't forget to live before you die.

Last edited by swingdjted; 29th February 2008 at 01:36.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 01:40   #29
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Well it's a funny thing to bitch about the company you're working for while on the clock when you should be working and not expect some kind of punishment. While firing is a bit severe, he should have been doing his job instead of posting on the internet especially if he has an easily-replacable job (as in the case of telephone service).
Old 29th February 2008, 02:02   #30
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

If it was on-the-job posting I only see harm if duties are being neglected. In addition, as you said, getting fired is taking things too far if you ask me. Replacing someone just like that will keep you loaded with rookies that have little to offer the company. It's the difference between worthwhile correction and wasted punishment.

Although she vented, she did nearly nothing to say much negative about her part of the company. Write-up, ok, other disciplinary measures, ok, but to rob someone of their primary or only source of income over something rather benign posted online is little more than an undeserved, immature temper tantrum.

I'm glad I work for a strong union. If I were fired for what I post here, my supervisors would be flattened in the matter of a month or two, and I would not have lost a penny's pay throughout the whole ordeal. This isn't meant to say that I'm empowered to do wrong, but rather I am able to keep disciplinary measures appropriate and fitting to the problem at hand.

Old 29th February 2008, 13:00   #31
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Originally posted by White Raven
Heh. I got fired for this post.
I hope you're not serious. What grounds did they terminate you on? Was there a breach of policy or contract?
Old 4th March 2008, 05:45   #32
White Raven
Little Winged One

Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
Well it's a funny thing to bitch about the company you're working for while on the clock when you should be working and not expect some kind of punishment. While firing is a bit severe, he should have been doing his job instead of posting on the internet especially if he has an easily-replacable job (as in the case of telephone service).
This was not posted from work, it was posted on my own time.

Also: At that job, there's a fucking LOT of downtime. Sometimes there was an hour between calls, sometimes less than a second.
You better believe I am the most determined, dedicated, and hardest worker that was ever on that team.

It was in fact, the same post crossposted to a LiveJournal community called 'customerssuck.'
Apparently some Target CEO scanned the internet and saw it and flipped out. They tracked it down to me and I was fired on the spot.

I offered to take down the post, but apparently that wasn't good enough. What was hilarious is they took me into the office and threw a printout of it at me and asked me 'What can you tell me about this?'
I didn't deny or lie about it, I told them that I had in fact written the post. They said we were having a "discussion" but in all reality, it wouldn't have mattered a shit whatever it was I said.

Now I'm just even more tempted to write out stuff like that.
I could've just taken down the post and had a stern warning, Target. I could've handled that. I could've just made it all go away and then the "DAMAGES" you're cunting on about could've been reversed.

Yeah that was what they said. "I can take the post down, I can fix this."
"THE DAMAGES HAVE ALREADY BEEN DONE."
What damages? I am not seeing hundreds of thousands of Target customers leaving the stores in droves, now am I?

Target, you have terrible intercorporational communications skills, you need to clean up your departments (and that doesn't mean hiring a crazy systems admin lady that will fire us one by one, it means actually doing your job and making your directions competent) and you need to take a little criticism.

You called my termination "A Security Breach." I didn't post the countless credit card numbers that I had access to, I didn't post any names, and I didn't post any numbers. I didn't even post the name of the third party call centre that I worked for.
Suck it the fuck up. I loved my job at Target and I did what I could to help the guests and the Team Members alike with their issues. I genuinely enjoy helping people and I was a hard, efficient worker who got shit done -- It's a shame that you lost me because I had a bad day and whined on an unrelated site.

Old 4th March 2008, 15:47   #33
TheElusiveMelon

When i go to North America i'm certainly not going to visit a Target store because of some tales i read on internet forums!
TheElusiveMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 19:54   #34
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Who are "they" anyway? Was it one person or a group of people? And how far up the ladder were "they"; An immediate supervisor or did "they" have oversight over a general-regional area?

In either case, whoever threw down the final say on your firing is a serious Communist, with a capital "C"...I probably won't go on a personal knee-jerk reaction and go on a Target boycott, since I buy a lot of shit there and it is my place of employment that I actually enjoy most of the time...But that does seem really stupid and out-of-line, since I've generally seen Target as a respectable corporation, save for the few local anecdotes at my store (Which, to be fair, is usually of personal issue instead from something else like store policy)...

I would really love to know what kind of free time these corporate officials have in surfing the internet and picking out things through personal lives, though...Through what remote connection could someone of that position have in finding a remote employee on an unrelated forum to a website about a media player? Granted, it doesn't help you work in a region where there aren't many or any Targets, you've stated your position, and you're first name is there, not to mention the Winamp Forums are somewhat noted of relative importance/noticability on the internet, but none of that is the point...What happened in order for you to have been found? Did someone Google search "Target employees bitching about the job on forums and blogs", or something like that? And what do your personal thoughts have anything to do with your effort in the work environment? I could go on and on and bitch for an hour's worth of typing of things LODs, AP, guest shoppers, and other Target members do or say or whatever that bug the shit out of me, and it still won't keep me from clocking in and working with them the next time I'm scheduled...It's your personal life and not their business...

Hell, all you're doing is just retelling calls you've received from people! I don't see anything that's negative in content against Target in any way; If anything, it's only negative against the dumbasses that you got calls from...It may not be good PR for one side or the other, but I don't recall anything in policy that says you can't hold an opinion about your job outside the job...Now of course you don't have a job anymore...Am I missing something here, or do specific names need to be named to spell things out? You might as well do that anyway, to let the world know of the Communist that fired you...

You know, this kinda reminds me of the issue Ellen Simonetti had with Delta Air Lines when she got fired because of the personal blog she had when she was still employed by them...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 22:35   #35
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

WR, I sincerely hope you get a much better job. Not just to spite the pretentious version of Wal*Mart that Target is becoming, but so that you can look back on this as the event that made you available for something better. I honestly think this can become a good thing in the end. I can tell by the posts prior to all this shit that you, despite frustration, cared about your job and your customers enough to do what you could to ensure they were given the best response you could give. Target is the loser here, and to borrow the style of MV, Target is the loser with a capital 'L'. Someone else will benefit from what you offer on the job, and they'll thank you.

Personally, after looking at some of the things I have purchased there, I think I could find much higher quality elsewhere, without really straying too far from the price point per item. I'd rather shop somewhere that spends more on quality products and employees rather than spending revenue on bombarding advertising and nosy, eavesdropping, overpaid lowlifes that waste their on-the-job time invading personal lives. Fuck Target. Fuck them in the asses with a rotten termite filled tree trunk.

Old 5th March 2008, 00:26   #36
White Raven
Little Winged One

Well, I'm not asking anyone to stop shopping at Target, if that's what you want to do, then go ahead.
I do however think it should be illegal to fire anyone on the basis of personal opinion on a largely anonymous basis, however. It should be illegal to fire someone for having an opinion.

Old 5th March 2008, 03:14   #37
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Wrongful termination can get you either your job back or a good court settlement around here sometimes, but usually it's only a sure thing if you have a contract with them where they violated the terms. In that case, as Sarge said, usually there are clearly written policies/terms/conditions where someone can fire you when your contract is is not yet up. Even without a contract, most reputable companies still give an employee ample notice or paid leave, where they have time to find another position so as not to have a large gap of time without income.

Large corporations like this tend to be the worst when it comes to straying away from that. They treat the employees that have direct contact with the paying customers the worst, and the employees that are removed from the 'front lines' the best. I understand this is how it is just about anywhere, but the difference from the direct contact people to the few up top is huge and in my opinion, undeserved.

To cover their asses, there is usually a line or two hidden in the fine print of their policy for entry level jobs that says they can toss you out like a pitchfork full of horse manure for any reason at any time. It's really sad that the job market is in a place where people have to accept jobs like that instead of having ample opportunity to pass and work elsewhere when you notice that kind of bullshit.

Since I have not read your policies, nor do I know the details in terms of the laws where you worked, it's hard to say whether or not you have a case that could get you compensation.

Around here if you had been working the same job long enough, and if it was made clear that you were wrongfully or arbitrarily terminated, you would be eligible for unemployment benefits. That might be able to hold you over while finding a more worthwhile place to work.

My willingness to stop shopping at Target comes from within (not at the request of someone other than myself), and it is only in part because of what I have read on this thread. After discussing this with some family and friends the other day, it was pretty clear to us that there are far better places to shop for the types of things that Target sells. I'm starting to realize that big discount stores just don't offer anything that I'm proud to have bought. I'm making an honest attempt to think more before I open up my wallet and support less than what I feel is fair and humane employee treatment, both within the company itself and in the places where their products are made.

The person that terminated likely didn't have a clue who you were or how much of an asset you were to Target. If they did, they wouldn't have ended your income in such a quick thoughtless manner. Although you were listed on their "Human" Resources roster, they treated you like nothing more than an easily replaceable part of a giant machine, and I think that's abominable.

I'm not the only one who feels this way. It is a major platform issue for people running for United States president, and a lot of citizens who are fed up with this are casting their vote for the candidate that opposes this. I'll be one of them, and I don't stop there. I also vote with every dollar I spend, and none of those 'votes' will be given to Target.

Old 6th March 2008, 02:45   #38
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Today a new target opened up across from where I work.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 07:01   #39
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

I'd apply for a job if I were you ryan.
Old 8th March 2008, 10:03   #40
White Raven
Little Winged One

:3 Well DJ TEd, that's awesome that you have such activism in mind. It's a good thing to be like that, and have such astute observations.
Unfortunately it takes a lot of people to illicit a little change, and we've got a long way to go yet.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist