Old 23rd February 2015, 22:38   #841
djpete
Major Dude

"Does someone have Winamp available on a site OTHER THAN Facebook ?? Looking for Winamp for my Android"
I see you found the download, basic internet 101 really wasn't it. Just do a Google search. lol
:-)
And yes Facebook is not the ideal place for file hosting but it has worked very well so far.
Over 80% of the downloads are links to other websites for the downloads. The main downloads such as WA for Android, WA for PC etc are all hosted on our website not Facebook and a small amount of files are actually on the Facebook server so you really need to get your facts right before going on a rant.

As far as navigating and finding files, it's really quite simple but I cant see how you'll ever find out anyway as you will NEVER use Facebook on principle to know. lol

And with almost 3,000 members someone must think it's an ok idea. As for finding files etc true it ain't as simple as a true website but it's pretty damn close. Anyone with basic internet 101 skills should be able to use it...:-)

And in case you missed it all the main downloads are also here at our website..
http://winampenthusiasts.com/

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 19:44   #842
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWalruss View Post
Out of curiosity, why are people so obsessed about new version of Winamp? 5.666 doesn't work for you at all?
Because it's the internet... or maybe because they want some closure, or maybe they want to see how the new version is different...

but mostly because they are impatient and want something new to consume. It has nothing to do if the current version works or not.
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:37   #843
frunet

I want a new version for these reasons:
  • So Gracenote or whatever it is replaced with can auto-tag my tunes after ripping
  • So I can DL album art directly instead of Googling them
Otherwise I'm happy with it and with the plugins I already obtained. What I'm expecting though is a distinct loss of some really good plugins due to incompatibility.
frunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:58   #844
A11ectis

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why are people so obsessed about new version of Winamp? 5.666 doesn't work for you at all?
I personally want a new version just because that seems to be the way popular software releases seem to work now-a-days. Be it added feature(s), a cleanup of sorts, or even a visual redesign. Waiting to update a piece of software until it doesn't work (assuming it isn't legacy, out-of-support, etc) doesn't exactly hold enthusiasm.
A11ectis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:38   #845
djpete
Major Dude

Quote:
Good question.
I want to see Winamp revitalized more than a new version.
I want a company that is enthusiastic and has a vision about Winamp again and aims to make it the best player out there. A company that is passionate and promotes Winamp to the masses and sends a clear message of what Winamp is capable of compared to other players out there.

In other words I want to see Winamp marketed properly and brought back to peoples attention as the number one player.

Clear comparisons to other players should be made so it is so obvious why Winamp is the only player people should choose.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 04:08   #846
Toronim0

Wow, that's great news. I started using winamp back in 2002 and it's always been my favorite player. Would love to see some new features incorporated and maybe an app or cloud storage?! (I'd pay for that)

Hahaha, I visited the website in a couple months ago and it basically said "Hey, we're calling it quits, so... yeeeah.. sorry."

Thanks and good luck to whoever's in charge of this animal <3
Toronim0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 09:50   #847
Raj_09

@djpete@Toronim0

Yes I agree with your views. I much prefer these comments. Winamp has been my companion since 10 years(I still cannot believe so much time has gone). My country of abode has changed, formats have changed, bitrates and even tastes, yet Winamp has stayed.

I would like Winamp with new energy, revitalised. A music player which plays your media without glitches and is not memory hungry. Cloud storage and integration with streaming music offerings would be a plus. Well, it is going to come. Thanks for the awesome work, dev team!

Powering through with the bolt
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 13:58   #848
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
A music player which plays your media without glitches and is not memory hungry.
5.666 is running Ok here without using too much memory (Wine under Linux) it seems very stable compared to some of the earlier 5.6.X releases.

I'm sure when the new version is ready they'll be a big fanfare about it all.... Until then 5.666 should work for you without any glitches.

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 23:51   #849
filboid

I am glad to hear of the rebirth of my fav classic MP3 player!! Looking forward to it and if you need beta testing I am available.

Things I love about Winamp.

1 Size - Keep it small and unobtrusive please.
2 Quality of sound - Excellent
3 Price - Perfect!
4 Speed - Fast and not bloated [like a certain other music software that feels it has to duplicate your entire library and of course stick it on your OS drive]

Winamp has been by my side since day one. Really excellent software!
filboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 10:49   #850
Hanschke

tomorrow is big party and I cannot work without a new Winamp
Hanschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 12:59   #851
DrO

you must have had a very rubbish party then...
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 14:22   #852
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
you must have had a very rubbish party then...
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 15:12   #853
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Lol!!!!

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 16:45   #854
hesen

thank you winamp

I love you my winamp
hesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 07:41   #855
Raj_09

Since Microsoft is going to focus on Spartan and stop improving IE11 on Windows 10 (http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...-is-the-future), what will the implication be for Winamp? Esp the now playing feature?

Powering through with the bolt
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:47   #856
blackcoder

I don't think Microsoft will break the API Winamp is probably using. So Winamp will very likely don't need to do anything.

From your mentioned neowin-article:
Quote:
The fact that IE 11 will go unchanged from Windows 8.1 means that the application will only exist to support legacy partners who need the hold framework for applications.
blackcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 16:12   #857
Titule

I want an easier way to switch output to different soundcards.

I'm also curious what will be new in the new version, looking at the loooooong time of development there must be huge changes...
Titule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 21:44   #858
NullAmp

Probably because an announcement was made 15 months ago that a new version was coming "soon"™.

Here is a preview of the new version:
http://bit.ly/1NQvaBK
NullAmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 02:37   #859
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullAmp View Post
Probably because an announcement was made 15 months ago that a new version was coming "soon"™.

Here is a preview of the new version:
http://bit.ly/1NQvaBK
Nah, most people these days would say that 0.2 is too bloated.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 22:32   #860
Inception

Re:

I'd like better support for multi-monitors... This is STILL an issue even after all these years, it's been "fixed" once in the past but even then it's just as terrible. In the docking settings we should be able to choose which monitor to dock on... Atm it's extremely glitchy with multiple monitors... Been this way since 2005.
Inception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 04:28   #861
musicf8
Major Dude

You can choose what monitor to dock it on, just drag it to the monitor and dock it.... works for me.
Old 17th April 2015, 22:40   #862
thunderhayes

Something that I've given a lot of thought to, a more touch screen friendly Winamp. With the fact that Windows 8.1 is out, and Windows 10 will likely be out before the next Winamp, and things like my new laptop have touchscreens, it's a nice idea.

Big Bento is a nice theme, but feels kinda outdated among the latest Chrome and the Modern UI apps. A new version of it, not necessarily paper flat, but a bit less 3D-ish and with a bit of enhancements in for touch screen navigation would make really bring Winamp's llama whipping into the modern age of computers (as well as make it a great app to have on a Windows tablet).
thunderhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 22:47   #863
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhayes View Post
<snip>
I'd personally like to see a metro/universal/windows app version, but the developers already said it's unlikely as the focus is win32 and android.
Old 17th April 2015, 23:14   #864
DrO

most of the issues raised in the last few posts are all due to having a skinned ui and not conforming to the OS UI design. dropping skinning would make it so much more simpler for whoever is maintaining Winamp to leverage the OS support for all of the things which then makes docking, aero snap, scaling, etc a lot lot simpler to do (often with the OS automatically doing it) and just make Winamp more consistent with the Windows theme.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 00:54   #865
GorillaCat

Nice to see DrO back on the thread
GorillaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 05:40   #866
A11ectis

Quote:
DrO
SHOUTcast Team
Welp... It's been a fun ride, everybody.

/s
Old 18th April 2015, 08:24   #867
Hanschke

Winamp will become the new Duke
Hanschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 10:16   #868
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanschke View Post
Winamp will become the new Duke
duke nukem forever took 14 years... i'd hardly compare the two
Old 20th April 2015, 16:13   #869
altae

Quote:
whoever is maintaining Winamp
Quote:
DrO
SHOUTcast Team
Oh oh, bad sign guys, it looks like Winamp is definitely dead. Not that I have got any inside information but my crystal ball tells me that whenever people start talking like that there is probably something wrong.
altae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 17:12   #870
GorillaCat

Quote:
whoever is maintaining Winamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by altae View Post
Oh oh, bad sign guys, it looks like Winamp is definitely dead. Not that I have got any inside information but my crystal ball tells me that whenever people start talking like that there is probably something wrong.
I wouldn't read this as Winamp being dead. whoever may mean DrO but indicating it may be turned over to someone else in the future or DrO brought someone in to help maintain it. As far as I can see it's still in development and I'll keep thinking that until it's proven otherwise by DrO or DJ Egg

Old 20th April 2015, 21:20   #871
synthetiq

Any news from dev team?
Almost 5 months and no news... nor plans, nor nothing!
Give us some timeline...
synthetiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 13:04   #872
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
I too think it is time to tell us wha'ts going on.

a little info like:

+ We are still in Developement phase
+--- Winamp: not started yet (starts in about 2 month)
+---Shoutcast: nearly finish (about 2 month)
or...
+ We don't like you and Winamp anymore
or...
+ Only VIP's get the new Winamp

But just saying nothing is like a kick in the Ass for the users who Contribute and spent time around Winamp...

lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 16:22   #873
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravermeister View Post
<snip>
Well, it's not like they have been keeping us in the complete dark, they have specified that the priority is shoutcast right now and they have to change a lot of the winamp code due to AOL proprietary crap in there.

it would be one thing if Winamp didn't work or it had serious bugs that needed to be addressed, but it doesn't tmk, so why the rush? Let them do their thing and be glad that Winamp and Nullsoft wasn't left for dead by AOL.
Old 22nd April 2015, 00:41   #874
A11ectis

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
Let them do their thing and be glad that Winamp and Nullsoft wasn't left for dead by AOL.
I'm just kinda bugged that even if Winamp was left for dead by AOL, we would in no different position then we are at now. Sure, Winamp may had been "saved". Has anything come from it though? No accurate news or updates. No signs of Winamp existing outside of these forums and winamp.com. No noticeable gains. Just DrO suddenly appearing again, only with the title "SHOUTcast Team".
Old 22nd April 2015, 02:29   #875
thunderhayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by A11ectis View Post
Sure, Winamp may had been "saved".
Winamp has left the library. Winamp has been saved.

Bad sci-fi references aside, I think that Winamp does have a future. The question is, when does that future start? We know that there was a lot of stuff AOL slipped in, like the Gracenote CDDB, that can no longer be used. We also know that a new version is Windows is set to be released, later this year if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the few devs that are able to do work on Winamp are waiting until Win10 to see how different things shape up on it.
thunderhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 08:38   #876
altae

Well have it your way. But the facts are: Winamp was bought by Radionomy almost 1.5 Years ago. 1.5 years and not a single screenshot, no features list, no changelog, no beta... Basically when asked about it the devs (actually it's only Dr0) repeatedly say that they are stripping out AOL stuff and improving performance. Well performance must be really bad if it takes 1.5 years to improve it. Too bad I have never realized that Winamp has got performance issues...
altae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:50   #877
GorillaCat

Well the 1 1/2 year wait is to be expected. DrO is the only one working on the AOL free Winamp, replacing all of the AOL proprietary code with all original code from scratch that will work just as good or better than what it replaced, replacing AOL licensed services, etc...

I gotta admit it would be nice to hear some kind of update and letting us know if we could help in any way, like alpha/beta testing
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:07   #878
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaCat View Post
replacing all of the AOL proprietary code with all original code from scratch that will work just as good or better than what it replaced, replacing AOL licensed services, etc...
There's not any AOL proprietary code in there. Just licensed technology that needs to be replaced or removed. I suspect that the delays are mostly a matter of limited resources and competing priorities.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:12   #879
GorillaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benski View Post
I suspect that the delays are mostly a matter of limited resources and competing priorities.
My thoughts exactly
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:52   #880
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaCat View Post
letting us know if we could help in any way, like alpha/beta testing
I think the last time that happened it all fell apart (Winamp3)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion