Old 15th December 2000, 01:46   #1
rm'
Banned

I'm considering replacing Win98 for something better. What do you recommend? If you must open your mouth, make sure something meaningful comes out of it
Back up what you say with proof and examples. I don't want too much opinion.

Here my system specs:

Cel 500
96 MB pc100 RAM
1 Firewire root hub /w 2 ports
2 USB root hubs /w 4 ports
No serial or parallel ports
No game ports
40x Compaq CD-Rom
4x 4x 32x generic cd rewriteable drive
Intel i740 (2x AGP, DC133 bus) graphics chipset /w 8MB shared video RAM
Integrated SoundMAX digital audio (looking to upgrade to SB Live! MP3+ [I don't have an empty drive bay, so I can't use Platinum])
HP printer
Canon Scanner
Win98 SE DV edition

Software that MUST be compatible with the OS:
Photoshop 5.0
Winamp 2.71
Adobe Premiere
CDex
Gimp (I guess either linux or win32 versions are ok)
Preferably Opera 4.01
Winzip
What I mainly use my computer for:
Photo editing and miscellaneous graphics
Digital video editing and composition
Word Processing
Internet
Winamp (no vis)
Ripping CD's

What I'm looking for:
Stability
Compatibility with the software I've outlined above (however, if there are free software titles that can replace ALL of these, I'm willing to use a non-windows based OS)
Speed
Tweakability, preferably with alternate shells

------------------
Go me!
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 01:52   #2
Someonebutnotme

I am currently running windows 2000, with the first servcie pack of course and have no problems running anything I ran on 98 first edition. This though was a clean install, which I HIGHLY recommend if you install win2k.
Old 15th December 2000, 01:57   #3
spanky

Send a message via ICQ to spanky
If you decide to run win2k you'll need at least 128MB of ram to run it smoothly. I would not suggest an upgrade either. Do a clean install.
I think you would be better off running WinMe. It has less overhead.
Be sure to check Mircosoft's hardware compatablity list before upgrading. www.microsoft.com/hcl
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 02:29   #4
Mister Bill

If it weren't for all the PC software, I'd recommend getting a Mac, cuz those are really good for video and image editing. But this is the real world, so I'd say either WinME or W2K. Whatever your choice is, I would say make sure you make a DOS disk before you kiss Win98 bye. Both ME and 2K kiss DOS goodbye, and you may need DOS to save your ass one day if your comp fuxors.

------------------
Mister Bill
ICQ#71042786
Old 15th December 2000, 02:38   #5
Snakeman

Send a message via ICQ to Snakeman
Win2k all the way!
Seriously!

Just be prepared to lose something on the transition, cause you ALWAYS will lose something

and, yes, a clean install is the only way to go. Upgrading is always dirty and messy.

and WinME BLOWS! WinME is just win98-3rd.ed. with bloatware left and right.

Win2k is your only option
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 02:47   #6
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
DOS. For Stability.
I have a laptop that blows ass and crashes too much, and want 2kPro to see if it helps with stability (I would LOVE to be able to use standby again!!!).

------------------
Merry F***in' Christmas!!!
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 02:48   #7
dj_rigo

mmm...
with your pc you can't switch to linux...
mmm...
if you've got dos proggies, ol' gamez, and blah blah i recommend u winme, coz you can start your pc in dos mode using a boot disk (make a rescue disk and edit autoexec.bat & config.sys, add/remove filez...)
i think that it's a bit difficult to run weird dos gamez with win2000 ->ntfs (you cannot boot your pc in REAL DOS with it unless u use a special driver...)

winme still has fat32! (yuck!, but works)

i think you should wait 4 windows2001
dj_rigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 02:50   #8
rm'
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mister Bill:
If it weren't for all the PC software, I'd recommend getting a Mac<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would too. The pc software is no biggie, because I could use a windows emulator (darn, I lost the link to a really good one that actually runs windows software faster than windows can), however, the price of a mac is a little too much for just a plain old upgrade

Hmm... maybe I'll try out 2k

------------------
Go me!
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 02:58   #9
JMPZ

Send a message via ICQ to JMPZ Send a message via AIM to JMPZ
If you do not need severe DOS compatibility, I would recommend Windows Millenium.
After I installed WinME (I actually installed an OEM version over my Win98SE) my system became a whole heck of a lot more stable. It was almost miraculous. The Sound card which was not working with some applications suddenly worked everywhere, my TV capture card could work with WebTV for Windows (with the WDM drivers), Everything was smoother, and it actually does boot faster. I consider it an all around good decision.
Here are the problems you might encounter, however:
There is no Real-Mode DOS (well, there is but it is hidden darn well!) Jill of The Jungle and Lemmings will not work without a boot disk.

Error boxes no longer give you the option of seeing the details.

So far as I have seen, you cannot use a shift+restart to quick restart. You are forced to do a bios reset. Blah!

96 megs will not be enough if you upgrade. I seriously recommend that you do a fresh install. Even with my 196-megs, my upgrade does a lot of swapping.

If you want DOS, or more control over the OS proper I would re-install (from scratch) Win98SE.

Let's see, how many times have I re-installed windows... definately over 100 times including all the versions I have dealt with.

Hope I helped. I believe that all of your programs will run on Win2k as well, but Win2k is crappy slow with anything less that 128-megs of ram. Especially since your ram is shared on the vid card. My system took like 5-minutes to boot with 64-megs in win2k. Blah!

Good luck.
JMPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 02:58   #10
penguin22

Send a message via AIM to penguin22
I don't know about a mac that can run windows software faster than a good PC, but I could be wrong. As for the OS, go for win2k with Service pack 1 without any doubt. It is very stable and will run all of the software you require it to. I use it in fact. If it weren't for my addiction to some games (ie. NHL 2001), I would get rid of 98 altogether. A suggestion though would be to get 256MB of RAM. Windows 2k really runs smoother with it, but I would default to a minimum of 128MB if you must. To be honest though, RAM is cheap now, and if you look for it you can get win2k for $126. Check out either pricewatch.com or shopper.com. Good luck!

------------------
Dave - penguin22

Beware The Penguin
penguin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 03:02   #11
bjay125

As a person with WinME and Win2k (dual-boot), I would highly suggest Win2k if you can get a little more RAM. I've run win2k with 64, 128, and 256, and I see 128 as being a realistic minimum. It will work with 96, but WinME will run smoother. But it will crash a lot more. I've found that Win2k is much better at running multiple, simultaneous tasks. I've had it running Photoshop 6.0, Winamp, ICQ, IE 5.5, SysMeter, Paint Shop Pro 7, Illustrator 9.0 and Outlook Express, all at the same time. My WinME crashes on a daily basis, while I can count on one hand the number of times Win2k has crashed since last July. And those crashes usually occurred when I was installing something. Simply put - you would be doing yourself a huge favor by getting some cheap RAM and upgrading to Win2k/Whistler. But for gaming, a dual-boot system is suggested with Win98 or WinMe. The only reason I have WinMe around is that my favorite games - Need For Speed - don't work very well in win2k. If it weren't for that I would've trashed Win9x a long time ago.
bjay125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 03:31   #12
Somebody
Major Dude

I'd stay with win98 if I were you.
Wait for the next OSes from M$.
Somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 03:37   #13
splooge

Win2k Professional. ITs definetly the most stable. Get some more ram. Ram is super cheap these days. I just got a 256Meg sim for 104 bux at www.on*********

You will need ezcd creator 4 for win2k if thats the burner software you are using.

l8r www.splooge.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radioactive Man:
I'm considering replacing Win98 for something better. What do you recommend? If you must open your mouth, make sure something meaningful comes out of it
Back up what you say with proof and examples. I don't want too much opinion.

Here my system specs:

Cel 500
96 MB pc100 RAM
1 Firewire root hub /w 2 ports
2 USB root hubs /w 4 ports
No serial or parallel ports
No game ports
40x Compaq CD-Rom
4x 4x 32x generic cd rewriteable drive
Intel i740 (2x AGP, DC133 bus) graphics chipset /w 8MB shared video RAM
Integrated SoundMAX digital audio (looking to upgrade to SB Live! MP3+ [I don't have an empty drive bay, so I can't use Platinum])
HP printer
Canon Scanner
Win98 SE DV edition

Software that MUST be compatible with the OS:
Photoshop 5.0
Winamp 2.71
Adobe Premiere
CDex
Gimp (I guess either linux or win32 versions are ok)
Preferably Opera 4.01
Winzip
What I mainly use my computer for:
Photo editing and miscellaneous graphics
Digital video editing and composition
Word Processing
Internet
Winamp (no vis)
Ripping CD's

What I'm looking for:
Stability
Compatibility with the software I've outlined above (however, if there are free software titles that can replace ALL of these, I'm willing to use a non-windows based OS)
Speed
Tweakability, preferably with alternate shells

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

splooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 03:52   #14
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
first i would like to say that when i saw the words "good", "honest" and "adivce" i thought ""in the winamp forums...naa""
then i saw RM posted it. "joke" i thought.

but the advice. upgrade to Win98SE. its will calm your eagerness to upgrade. even though there isnt much difference. Win98 works fine for me.
s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 06:00   #15
JMPZ

Send a message via ICQ to JMPZ Send a message via AIM to JMPZ
Oh, if you can afford to purchase some more memory, then by all means do so and run win2k!!! I suggested WinMe with the memory constraint in mind.

And for that matter, what's so bad about Windows Me? Have you tried it yet or are you going off word of mouth? Way back when i was in eight grade, I actively argued against Windows '95 without having tried it. i called it a buggy piece of crap, and complained about the memory bug and what-not... Finally I installed it, and boy was I wrong. Windows '95 was so incredibly much better that win31, it was incredible. Oh my gosh. My 486 was all of a sudden a decent machine again. Wow.

The point is not the version difference. I am not at all comparing Win31-&gt;Win95 to Win98SE-&gt;WinME. I'm just saying that being adamantly against it without having tried it (or at least read some reviews, which I hadn't done) it not the best course of action.
Most of the reviews I've read say that if your Win98 works fine, don't do it; but if your Win98 is acting up, then it makes sense to upgrade. So I did, and I'm overall glad.

Again, good luck. I hope your decision pleases you.

p.s. For the love of all that is good, non-monopolistic, and not-brainless; don't get a mac!
(you want to argue this one, start a new topic)
JMPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 06:25   #16
e144539

Send a message via ICQ to e144539 Send a message via AIM to e144539
I'm running win2k, but i agree with Somebody

wait for whistler, its due out 3rd quarter next year and it should have better support for games and other multi-media improvments.
win2k is for business. Whistler will be for home, but it will be based on the nt os kernel so it will be just as stable. It should use less resources too but don't quote me. and being that it is due 3rdQRT2001 it will probably be 1st2002

forgot a link http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/g...649312,00.html
------------------
Life- [{lîf} plaural lives {lîvz}] n. sexually transmitted, always fatal

[This message has been edited by e144539 (edited December 14, 2000).]
e144539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 18:51   #17
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
Why not just download an illegal copy of win2k & ME and just see what works best?

------------------
Bah! Humbug.
ReDVsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 19:45   #18
stek

Send a message via AIM to stek
I have Windows ME and as of now it is pretty buggy... I would stay with 98 and hold out til Whistler comes out, it will finally merge Windows 2k and Windows ME in to one OS...

-stek
stek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 20:02   #19
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
Yes, that sounds nice... And skinnable too!

------------------
Bah! Humbug.
ReDVsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions