Old 22nd September 2017, 16:20   #1
Worez

Winamp control with additional mouse buttons

Is there some way I can use my forward / backward buttons and the middle one; without tempering with the global hot keys functions?

I already use a game pad which for which I have a config corresponding to my Winamp global hot keys. But to use such remote control, I need to open the game pad software, choose the configuration readied for Winamp and then operate with game pad with my spare hand; while the mouse buttons remain unassigned while the mouse is almost constantly under my hand

What I am aiming for is to be able to use additional mouse buttons whenever I am focused on Winamp; I do not want to change mouse behavior in the whole operating system [in web browsers etc.]. I have a docked Shade Mode always on the top and so it would save my a lot of time and wrist movement if I could just move the mouse pointer to the top and press forward / backward for rewinding or changing tracks. Right now I can do such quick adjustment only to volume [with the mouse scroll]. Why does a mouse scroll work while a middle button does not? I would most likely use it for an extremely fast pause / play, without the need to aim at the miniaturized icon [that I have right now in the Shade Mode]
Worez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 22:22   #2
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Sound like a good -and useful- idea, but I don't think it's possible to assign functions to those specific buttons since Winamp extends only to very VERY standard mouse buttons (left, right, and mouse wheel).
I could think of a solution from the skinning side, with a script I can set the mouse wheel to change track on onMouseWheelUp / onMouseWheelDown, and maybe some other tricks to better use "Double RIGHT click". The mouse implementation may be troubling with the volume function though (I would have to check).

PS: One hidden feature of Winamp is to seek foward / backward when you position your mouse over Winamp and PRESS AND SCROLL the mouse wheel (yes, press and scroll...).

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:52   #3
Worez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Sound like a good -and useful- idea, but I don't think it's possible to assign functions to those specific buttons since Winamp extends only to very VERY standard mouse buttons (left, right, and mouse wheel).
I could think of a solution from the skinning side, with a script I can set the mouse wheel to change track on onMouseWheelUp / onMouseWheelDown, and maybe some other tricks to better use "Double RIGHT click". The mouse implementation may be troubling with the volume function though (I would have to check).
Wheel up / down is good as it is- for volume control. Right now when you apply a lot of force you get a significant reduction of volume- but if you would to the same for track skipping, then you wouldn't know [control] how many tracks you are skipping. There is no much difference between going down 40, 50 or 60% in volume, but there is between skipping 1, 2 or 3 tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
PS: One hidden feature of Winamp is to seek foward / backward when you position your mouse over Winamp and PRESS AND SCROLL the mouse wheel (yes, press and scroll...).
Apparently not in my new mouse

I have a special mechanical function: when I press scroll the rolling thing is set loose and I can achieve great speeds with it. I get no forward / backward movement at all

But it does wok in my old ordinary mouse. So it seems that we are missing ability to do a track skipping with forward / backward button and some usage with the middle button [play / pause pleaseee...]
Worez is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
mouse buttons, remote control