Old 18th June 2006, 12:30   #1
hanneman_2

Media Library: Remember position

It would be really great if the Media Library remembers where I was, when I click to another list inside the ML.

Example:

I want to browse through Local Media to send files to my Portable. Ok, I found a file. Sent to Portable. But when I click again on Local Media to look for more files, I have to scroll again all the way to the position where I was..... very annoying! (certainly when you have 7000 songs )
hanneman_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 13:26   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winamp > Prefs > Media Library > Local Media
Checkmark: Remember search filters in media & album views
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 13:37   #3
hanneman_2

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Winamp > Prefs > Media Library > Local Media
Checkmark: Remember search filters in media & album views
That doesn't do the trick...
Old 18th June 2006, 13:44   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, it works fine here.
Maybe I misunderstood your post or something?
Old 18th June 2006, 13:57   #5
DrO

it's remembering of the exaxt view state including last selected item(s) in the result list (not the search bar) and the view being scrolled to the same place ie if was 10 down in the list then it'd restore back to that)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 15:20   #6
hanneman_2

hmmm I start a song half-way the local media list... then I click on Portables, and when I click again on Local Media, it says "scanning" and voila... at the top state again...

With Remember search filters in media & album views enabled.

Old 18th June 2006, 16:25   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, it only remembers if you select an Artist or Album from one of the top left or right panes (artist/album view mode), or if you type something into the search field first.

It doesn't remember the state of the Tracks view, eg. when All Artists/Albums are selected at the top.

Hmm, I'm not even sure if it's possible for it to remember the state of the Tracks pane, heh.
Old 18th June 2006, 18:22   #8
hanneman_2

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Yeah, it only remembers if you select an Artist or Album from one of the top left or right panes (artist/album view mode), or if you type something into the search field first.

It doesn't remember the state of the Tracks view, eg. when All Artists/Albums are selected at the top.

Hmm, I'm not even sure if it's possible for it to remember the state of the Tracks pane, heh.
Hmmm too bad

Maybe adding an option to the prefs which can disable the auto-refreshing of the tracks view could be an option?
Old 10th November 2010, 20:59   #9
envoy510

4 years and this hasn't been implemented... bump!!

iTunes does this and I'm suffering since switching.... here's my scenario:

Click on Local Media to find things to put in my Droid playlist. Every once in a while move over to look at the Droid playlist. Click back to Local Media. D'oh!! Back at the beginning. Scroll like mad to find my place again..... PLEASE fix this.
envoy510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 23:49   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i don't think what you guys are asking for makes sense, here's why:

if u have two views, and you delete an item in one, when you go back to the orig other view, if it covers the same portion of the ML, it needs to be deleted from there too.

so it needs to rescan and refresh the tracks list everytime, based on the AA/art views above, (or whatever you config the above panes as).

what it COULD do though, is if the track was not deleted, then it could go back to it.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 02:14   #11
envoy510

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i don't think what you guys are asking for makes sense, here's why:

if u have two views, and you delete an item in one, when you go back to the orig other view, if it covers the same portion of the ML, it needs to be deleted from there too.

so it needs to rescan and refresh the tracks list everytime, based on the AA/art views above, (or whatever you config the above panes as).

what it COULD do though, is if the track was not deleted, then it could go back to it.
Deleting items in Local Media? That's pretty uncommon for me. I want the position in Local Media to not change. Of course, if I've selected a particular song, click outside of Local Media, delete that song, then go back... is that what you're worried about?
Old 11th November 2010, 02:23   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

no.

winamp has smartviews, and you can have say an "audio" view twice, (i have tons of custom subsets of my local media in SMVs). if i start in one, go to the other and delete something, and then go back, thats what i'm talking about.

--
Old 11th November 2010, 03:19   #13
envoy510

Quote:
no.

winamp has smartviews, and you can have say an "audio" view twice, (i have tons of custom subsets of my local media in SMVs). if i start in one, go to the other and delete something, and then go back, thats what i'm talking about.
OK, well, I'm not talking about those smart views. I'm talking about the simple view, as it were. I want the simple view (for want of a better term) of the Local Media to remember the position.
Old 11th November 2010, 04:11   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

i understand, but what i'm saying still applies.

--
Old 22nd March 2013, 04:50   #15
Shmezbot

Bump!

I have recently been using Winamp to whip my MP3 library into shape, and it's still a great piece of software.

But I have to echo Envoy510 here: That "jump-to-top-of-view" thing is driving me batty.
Examples:
- Using ML to manage ipod. Add a few songs... Hmm, let me check what is on the ipod. OK, back to ML... JUMPS TO TOP.
- Using ML to delete a duplicate of a song... r. click, remove, physically remove... Yes... JUMPS TO TOP.

Mr. Sinatra, I appreciate your point about smart views, but my preferred layout is one giant window, showing my entire library, with many columns of information. Also, I did quickly try out a smart view, but it did not cure the jump-to-top problem in the scenarios I describe above.

Who knows who will see this, but hopefully one of the Winamp devs will, and in a future release allow the ML views to remember their position in the list...

Regards to all, enjoy your music!
Shmezbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 13:19   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

just to be clear, I am not against any of this, but remembering the position in a given results list of tracks, as well as accounting for additions, deletions, refreshing, changing views, etc, is not a simple task.

i'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would probably take a lot of thought and coding to do it properly, b/c of the dynamic nature of those results lists.

--
Old 29th March 2013, 12:26   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
just to be clear, I am not against any of this, but remembering the position in a given results list of tracks, as well as accounting for additions, deletions, refreshing, changing views, etc, is not a simple task.

i'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would probably take a lot of thought and coding to do it properly, b/c of the dynamic nature of those results lists.
I can understand that there would be a lot of work modifying all the various pieces (core and official plug-ins) involved. But the change itself seems simple to me. Just keep track of the relative position from the top of any list and return to that position. If the new list (after a refresh or view change) no longer has that number of items, then just go to the last item in the list.

Having to scroll back to the relative position in a long list is very frustrating. This and the lack of multi-column sorting are the only major usability issues remaining in Winamp, imo.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist