Old 21st November 2013, 13:11   #1
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

winampforums.com

In case the end really is nigh, I'm setting up winampforums.com as an option.

Just talking to myself at this point - both with these posts and at the new site. Feel free to contribute to either.

Turning on all the social media integration options, I've come to the facebook one. I'm not willing to give my phone number to facebook, so if anyone's already a facebook developer, feel free to register the new domain as yours on facebook. Let me know what info you need.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 13:14   #2
Jay
Moderator Alumni

You might contact DrO he and Pete seem to be cooking up something.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 13:21   #3
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

signing in with twitter

https://dev.twitter.com/docs/auth/im...g-sign-twitter

Holy hell, I have no idea how to do this. Anyone? Maybe fuck twitter sign-in?

edit: Never mind, it's working now.

Old 21st November 2013, 13:25   #4
Jay
Moderator Alumni

They are using Open Auth.
Old 21st November 2013, 13:30   #5
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

If you (or anyone) need any CSS etc, I can clone any past or present WA forum theme.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 13:31   #6
DrO

tbh, content over visual stuff i think is more important at the moment.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 13:35   #7
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Maybe a scrum should be built to sort of get people on the same page?
Old 21st November 2013, 13:43   #8
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Maybe a scrum should be built to sort of get people on the same page?
I was going to start by replicating all the forums, using the same forumIDs.

Old 21st November 2013, 13:56   #9
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Why not PHPBB? It's easy enough to get going and I can do the grunt work on getting all of the forums back up again with IDs, etc.
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 14:22   #10
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

The twitter thing is broken. Something to do with the callback URL, I think, which I set as the full site URL. Maybe leave it blank...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerm View Post
Why not PHPBB?
*shrug* Vanilla gets good reviews.

I'm happy to set you up with an admin account, if you want to get in and start with some grunt work. Email admin@winampforums.com with your current username.

Anyone else is welcome, also.

Old 21st November 2013, 14:58   #11
Xaser

two people one idea, I was just about to set up a site as well, however it seems you beat me to it, so I won't have to worry about it

Do you have the specs of your webspace available? will it be able to handle the incoming traffic?
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 15:34   #12
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
The twitter thing is broken. Something to do with the callback URL, I think, which I set as the full site URL. Maybe leave it blank...?

*shrug* Vanilla gets good reviews.

I'm happy to set you up with an admin account, if you want to get in and start with some grunt work. Email admin@winampforums.com with your current username.

Anyone else is welcome, also.
Emailed.
Old 21st November 2013, 17:32   #13
NJK
Frisian Spamfighting Mod

Hugh

if i can help you know how to contact me

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
FORUMRULES
WINAMP
SHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 17:51   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Why not PHPBB?
Vanilla seems to be the best alternative to me. One reason is it has an akismet plugin. That will at least help the automated flood of spam that hits any forum.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 20:35   #15
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Thanks Tucker and Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaser View Post
Do you have the specs of your webspace available? will it be able to handle the incoming traffic?
I don't have the specs, but my webspace will almost certainly be unable to handle any significant traffic. I'm happy to move it to someone else's webspace.

Keeping in mind that this may all go away, if/when Nullsoft or AOL come to the party.

Old 21st November 2013, 21:17   #16
Xaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
Keeping in mind that this may all go away, if/when Nullsoft or AOL come to the party.
Not quite sure what you mean by that.

Well I just wrote a program to dump all Skins / Plugins from Winamp.com, so far I have downloaded 2914 Skins (skin file, html doc, preview images), which is already 1,5GB of diskspace. Not sure how much more the plugins will need.

If you need more efficient webspace, please contact me, I'm happy to chip something in. Just keep in mind that the longer you wait the harder moving the site will become.
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 00:34   #17
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
You might contact DrO he and Pete seem to be cooking up something.
Sorry Jay, didn't mean to ignore you – I totally missed your post somehow.

Daz: I think the plural domain works better, given the current URL is plural. I bow to your expertise on every other aspect, and would be happy to hand the domain over to you if that would make sense.

Old 22nd November 2013, 00:37   #18
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaser View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by that.
I mean that if they come to the party by somehow enabling us to export the forums database or something, and/or allow us to keep using the existing URL, then this whole start-Vanilla-from-scratch malarky could go right out the window.

Quote:
If you need more efficient webspace, please contact me, I'm happy to chip something in. Just keep in mind that the longer you wait the harder moving the site will become.
Thanks and I acknowledge the potential increased difficulty in moving a more established site.

Old 22nd November 2013, 13:38   #19
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
Vanilla seems to be the best alternative to me. One reason is it has an akismet plugin. That will at least help the automated flood of spam that hits any forum.
PHPbb has some good SPAM plug ins as well. I've set them up before and had no spam.
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:10   #20
DrO

iomegajaz: i've sent you a pm.

Xaser: you're best contacting garetjax as he's working on 1001Skins to accept plug-in uploads as well as skins.
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:43   #21
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I mean that if they come to the party by somehow enabling us to export the forums database or something, and/or allow us to keep using the existing URL, then this whole start-Vanilla-from-scratch malarky could go right out the window.
I would expect the opposite. That they tell you can't use their trademarks and stop you from calling anything Winamp or Nullsoft. That they object to the mirroring of their old webs. That they prohibit you from distributing the binary, documentation or anything else.

My guess as to how this plays out unless somebody buys it.......

Just because they are shutting services down doesn't mean AOL has vacated it's trademarks or copyrights. I could think of a dozen scenarios where AOL shuts you down.

Maybe it needs a name like web-a-roni or something to capture the spirit of the webcasters and DJ's known to skulk around here. But I think if you embed yourself in Winamp branding, you're asking for it.

If I owned these trademarks, I wouldn't let you use them. I'm likely nicer than AOL. I'd probably insist people didn't distribute the binary, if only for the fact that this will be "out in the wild" getting packed with viruses. Does that hurt a trademark I might want to sell or resurrect?

If you're gonna do this, I think it need a more generic webcasting theme. It's gonna need it's own art and it's own name.
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:24   #22
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
I would expect the opposite. That they tell you can't use their trademarks and stop you from calling anything Winamp or Nullsoft. That they object to the mirroring of their old webs. That they prohibit you from distributing the binary, documentation or anything else.

My guess as to how this plays out unless somebody buys it.......

Just because they are shutting services down doesn't mean AOL has vacated it's trademarks or copyrights. I could think of a dozen scenarios where AOL shuts you down.

Maybe it needs a name like web-a-roni or something to capture the spirit of the webcasters and DJ's known to skulk around here. But I think if you embed yourself in Winamp branding, you're asking for it.

If I owned these trademarks, I wouldn't let you use them. I'm likely nicer than AOL. I'd probably insist people didn't distribute the binary, if only for the fact that this will be "out in the wild" getting packed with viruses. Does that hurt a trademark I might want to sell or resurrect?

If you're gonna do this, I think it need a more generic webcasting theme. It's gonna need it's own art and it's own name.
I can´t remember the last time AOL did something to protect Winamp.. well, maybe they´ll do, but at their speed.. in about 2 or 3 years they will realise what you just said =)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:48   #23
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
I won't ever go there...sorry, I have no idea who iomegajaz is; and I am sure there is much well intentions mean here...However, I will not be providing my details to a 'freshly' created forum/site that has no identifier for staying longer than a few days. Sorry, no offense intended.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:51   #24
rockouthippie
Banned

It may be more likely and quicker for an AOL attorney quash your use of a dead product than a live one. AOL permitted a lot of this stuff because it was in their interest to do so.
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:51   #25
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
I have unlimited space for skins, plugins and etc so, that anything can be placed on 1001skins...and If anyone is interested; I am always looking for assistance in the development, styling and etc of 1001skins

Also, 1001skins - if ever need could host any forum(s) for free for as long as needed; and even integrate to the 1001skins site if needed.

1001skins |
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:00   #26
rockouthippie
Banned

I think we have enough hosting. I can give most of a dedicated server to the task if we could figure out how to proceed. I have a server I use for backups in a Berlin data center. It's pretty empty.

But if a guy was gonna do this, he wouldn't want to put together a site on legal sand.

If the goal is to mirror some of the documentation here that should be done by the people that wrote it. Skins likewise would need to be moved by the authors. It's unlikely that AOL will just give us a dump of this if only out of privacy concerns.

You can't probably legally create a new YP and you most certainly can't do what shoutcast.com does,
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:05   #27
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
I can´t remember the last time AOL did something to protect Winamp.. well, maybe they´ll do, but at their speed.. in about 2 or 3 years they will realise what you just said =)

[AOL]>1001winampskins.com> [cease-and-desist]>Maximillian Bloch> Changes Name>[1001skins.com]->[AOL]->Okay, you may continue>[Ownership Changed]->[AOL]->[cease-and-desist],[skin remove!]->Joe Garrett->Remove Skin->Okay, you may continue...

etc etc etc

1001skins |
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:06   #28
DrO

from what i'm aware off, there should be no issues with community based sites (whatever the name used)
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:09   #29
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
from what i'm aware off, there should be no issues with community based sites (whatever the name used)
There is and there has been...see my 'expanded post'

1001skins |
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:16   #30
rockouthippie
Banned

Do we call 1001skins a "community based" site? It kind of looked like one to me.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:17   #31
DrO

garetjax: that was then and i am talking about now.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:20   #32
rockouthippie
Banned

Somewhere back in my pea brain, I seem to remember a struggle over the trademark "Amp" which caused some media player name changes. Anybody remember?
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:23   #33
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
garetjax: that was then and i am talking about now.
It seemed permissible for a while for 1001winampskins.com to be used... until it became successful. And nothing stops these trademarks from being sold to a less cooperative entity.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:28   #34
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm currently trying to figure out if "amp" steps on any trademark toes and I'll bet it does.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:32   #35
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
I'm currently trying to figure out if "amp" steps on any trademark toes and I'll bet it does.
Don´t think so, the most buyed Android Media Player woudn´t get self exposed to that I think..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:38   #36
rockouthippie
Banned

I found it. Playmedia Systems owns "AMP" and is responsible for AMP being in Winamp. It's why MacAmp turned into Macast I have no idea whether PowerAmp has licensed amp or not.

http://playmediasystems.com/

Winamps license to use "Amp" certainly doesn't carry over to us. AOL doesn't have permission to vacate this trademark because they don't own it.

Considering PS has their own product line for release... cloudamp... webamp... etc. I don't see them taking kindly to anyone diluting their trademark.

I think anything with amp in the name is off the list. You're just asking for a clusterfuck. Probably just when a new site became worth doing. Of course we can identify a new forum as a community based on this one, but what we can't do is call it AMP anything if it has anything loosely to do with media players.
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:33   #37
Jay
Moderator Alumni

AMP is no longer in Winamp and hasn't been for over a decade. It's all fraunhoffer code now, so that is the concern.
Old 22nd November 2013, 23:11   #38
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
I won't ever go there...sorry, I have no idea who iomegajaz is; and I am sure there is much well intentions mean here...However, I will not be providing my details to a 'freshly' created forum/site that has no identifier for staying longer than a few days. Sorry, no offense intended.
If you don't know who he is, then you haven't been here long enough.
Old 23rd November 2013, 02:22   #39
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I gravitated away from the Winamp skinning world about when garetjax came along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
Also, 1001skins - if ever need could host any forum(s) for free for as long as needed; and even integrate to the 1001skins site if needed.
My preference would be for the forums to be distinct, existing of and for themselves, rather than as a section of a skins site.

Quote:
I think we have enough hosting. I can give most of a dedicated server to the task if we could figure out how to proceed. I have a server I use for backups in a Berlin data center. It's pretty empty.
Good to know - thanks.

Quote:
Agreed - I think we're fine to use *winamp*.com, since there are plenty of examples of hobbyists setting up [product]forums.com etc.

------------

It doesn't appear that we'll get any joy in terms of a forums database export, so I propose that we do the following:
  • Settle on a domain - winampforum.com or winampforums.com
  • Choose a host - must be reliable and ongoing
  • Choose which software to use. Unless someone wants to buy vB, I think we should go with PHPBB or Vanilla. PHPBB looks more like a traditional forum than Vanilla, and tuckerm would be happy to get PHPBB going.
  • Install chosen software and replicate the existing forum structure
Could someone run a script to download the forum attachments, avatars ...?

Old 23rd November 2013, 02:44   #40
tuckerm
Forum Emo

PHPBB3 is stable enough for us to run. We can set that up and make it look like our old forums here. Install the software is easy, I can get that going easy and find a skin to make it look like home.
I can get the forums all setup, etc. I don't think we can download forum attachments and avatars because there's no way to tie them in with the existing users on the new forum.
Faster we get this going the better!
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions