Old 17th May 2008, 12:42   #41
yhscchpcbr

a

a
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080517 0538.zip (74.3 KB, 893 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
yhscchpcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 12:49   #42
yhscchpcbr

a

a
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080515 0052.zip (15.5 KB, 773 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 17th May 2008, 16:12   #43
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
seems you forgot to add one texture
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 17:40   #44
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Attached Files
File Type: zip diary.zip (38.8 KB, 768 views)
Old 18th May 2008, 01:41   #45
yhscchpcbr

which?

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 18th May 2008, 01:46   #46
yhscchpcbr

a

a
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080517 1845.zip (51.2 KB, 724 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 18th May 2008, 10:37   #47
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

the who'r'us one
Old 18th May 2008, 15:38   #48
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Attached Files
File Type: zip book of superstition.zip (52.1 KB, 791 views)
Old 18th May 2008, 17:59   #49
yhscchpcbr

that's what i was thinking it might be, i believe it's in a previous zip, though i don't know which offhand

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 18th May 2008, 18:47   #50
yhscchpcbr

found it (sphinxwhorus.jpg) in bing crosby.zip uploaded 5/9 on page 1 of this thread

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 18th May 2008, 18:50   #51
yhscchpcbr

a

a
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080518 1150.zip (4.1 KB, 754 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 19th May 2008, 20:50   #52
hexcollie

Send a message via AIM to hexcollie
I heart ak-47

I was visited by some very friendly aliens this weekend, they will be missed
Attached Files
File Type: zip lena the hyena.zip (38.9 KB, 761 views)

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
hexcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 03:37   #54
hexcollie

^^I dig it and thanks for the reccomendation, I'll be checking myself in tomorrow... For now take a sip of my purple orange juice
Attached Files
File Type: zip purple orange juice pack.zip (37.0 KB, 765 views)

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
Old 20th May 2008, 07:08   #55
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Attached Files
File Type: milk flexi - another kind of prison.milk (12.8 KB, 748 views)
Old 20th May 2008, 11:09   #56
yhscchpcbr

a

a
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080520 0408.zip (108.4 KB, 790 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:51   #57
yhscchpcbr

a

a
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080522 0056.zip (98.7 KB, 768 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 22nd May 2008, 20:08   #58
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

got pwned
Attached Files
File Type: zip the breakthrough diary.zip (120.6 KB, 835 views)
Old 23rd May 2008, 21:58   #59
yhscchpcbr

viz

i guess i should start a new thread for this, but i don't want to because i am being irrational about it. in fact, i'm sure there is a lot better place on the net for this, but i don't know where yet.

i want to build a new visualizer, but the only way i would set out to do it would be to do some serious research / and/or build some complex timbre analysis / synthesis software. i have thought a lot about this in the past, but was always too indecisive to start for this and that reason. now, i may have thought up an approach i really can get started on. i'd like to use genetic algorithms to break down different types of music or maybe even specific songs.

there is an information loss once you mix two or more timbres/instruments/voices together. this is made up for by our ear and our brain's extensive neural net. to approach the complex task the brain does so easily after so much life training, i propose using a genetic algorithm to generate weighted feature vectors. the feature vectors might start out being the typical ones used in acoustic research, like spectral centroid, noise clouds, etc. however, the point of a genetic algorithm is to evolve something according to constraints. you must allow for mutation and kill off (select) the worst performers (according to your constraints). the mutation algorithm would be the hardest part i am thinking. (like, are we talking random math expression mutation or something? shunting yard algorithm backward?) i think somewhere in there you'd also need statistical comparison to really do voice separation, and thus a huge buffer if you want to end up with a real time visualizer, either that or a tapering, where the visualizer will suck at the beginning of any new timbre introduced, and then perform well after it figures out which voices are which.

the point then, after voice separation, would be to taylor visual events to the individual voice events. you would then give the preset writer the opportunity to map any of the generated feature vector's parameters in any way they want to the individual voice's visual representations. however, this will limit a universal application of a preset to any song, because the vectors are taylored to the song/album. therefore, i would further propose another more general layer of instrument classification so a preset could go more distance than one song/album.

you'd then want to also store the generated vectors, perhaps by album or song, to reference in the future.

this could lead perhaps as well into real-time random music generation based on a load of songs. one might also parlay that into biofeedback / self-directed virtual (albeit abstract) reality of sorts. (i think the brain tends to like low prime number ratios when it comes to almost anything - including tension models - micro and macro structure of sound / viz, but with such a biofeedback device, one could really pin down the to the individual and perhaps even their mood what ratios would be most useful at a particular time)

of course, this probably sounds daunting, but there are plenty of examples out there in research literature that are being applied to various aspects of speaker recognition and music analysis. someone is probably working on something similar already. if anyone who cares finds or already knows of an open source project out there for something like this, feel free to come to my home and sock me in the stomach, or maybe easier yet, post to this thread your dormant (to me) knowledge.

all that said, i don't think i am the one to build such a thing, as i am too scatterbrained to pull it off, though of course i'd endure torture for the luxury to direct it's creation.

oh, and here are my latest useless presets. i hope someone is enjoying these. i guess if ppl are downloading them that must mean something, probably they like downloading and then immediately deleting files. i hate how when i create something, i like it, and get all excited, hoping people will give me all kinds of glory, and then after thinking about it a while, i hate what i created and myself. i think maybe if god exists, this may be the dysfunctional type of relationship he has with his multiverses. i only dare compare myself to god if he is a slob i guess. it is such an uncomfortable set of tradeoffs being raised an lds bastard. not what i'd call an optimum tension model.
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080523 1405.zip (33.8 KB, 745 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 24th May 2008, 00:11   #60
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

stfu
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ozwl4SsdCus
Old 24th May 2008, 00:28   #61
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

take a bath in your misery

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=JWVshkVF0SY

Last edited by Flexi; 24th May 2008 at 00:51.
Old 26th May 2008, 19:53   #62
hexcollie

LMAO, did your fridge go out or something flexi? Smelly fish and cheese, then moving to the unspoiled dessert.... Anyway, I love pretty much everything from your 5/23 pack suksma (particularly petalcide!!!), and most of your other releases for that matter (just check the names that make their way to the names of my mashes )...However, my rampant ADD makes it nearly impossible to remember who/what I like, but I have been organizing my preset library lately which makes it a bit easier. But like u sed, if people download it, there's usually a reason

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
Old 26th May 2008, 20:18   #63
hexcollie

^^^As a matter of fact, let me destroy that one for you

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
Old 26th May 2008, 20:48   #64
hexcollie

Here's one from flexi's 'bon appetite'...and this may be so boring that prolonged exposure to this preset may cause you to fall out in to a hypnotic state in which you are compelled to confess your addiction to milkdrop

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
Old 27th May 2008, 23:58   #65
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Quote:
...but was always too indecisive to start for this and that reason. now, i may have thought up an approach i really can get started on. i'd like to use genetic algorithms to break down different types of music or maybe even specific songs...
sorry but if i hear something like that, it sounds like blablah. i am very much interested in results.

Do you have any experiences in modelling such systems?
(i don't have either...)

Quote:
i propose using a genetic algorithm to generate weighted feature vectors
my knowledge of signal theory is only scratching the surface, but i have my dear doubts if this is the correct approach.
What should your 'feature vectors' express? a violin, a male voice, the frequency spectrum, a punch in your face? i have no idea what you are talking about.
I guess, what you are looking for, is a so called '(recursive) auto-associative memory' - but first: this is not genetic programming. and second: these memories/nets have to get trained with a lot of samples of what you want to detect and afterwards you can only hope it actually learned what you wanted it to learn

http://www.ra.cs.uni-tuebingen.de/so...welcome_e.html
(this software visualizes the activities of neural nets - check it out)

Quote:
the point then, after voice separation, would be to taylor visual events to the individual voice events.
okay this is design. - no this is art! - here's the point where a human can project a mood (expressed in motions and colors) on it.

i suggest you to do your theoretical homework in neural nets (headword backpropagation), clustering algorihtms, and of course auto-associative memories
Old 28th May 2008, 03:48   #66
yhscchpcbr

gen alg

i have no experience with genetic algorithms, and i am not wanting to use neural nets. it's just that the idea seems appealing when applied to timbre.

for gen alg, some of the applications i've read about have been to design things for systems that are more of artsy science, like, for example, antenna design or virtual world tasks like optimizing jumping, or getting a set of shapes with restricted movements to walk. i've seen enough examples of it mags or shows like popular science or nova to know this has been used a lot for various things.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...machine?page=2

http://www.pbs.org/saf/1103/video/watchonline.htm
3rd vid down

if you search genetic algorithm on youtube you'll get a bunch of results too if i remember correctly

to use another more typical example of something that uses features, one can look at ocr (optical character recognition) technolgy's use of height, lines of symmetry, etc, anything that teases out the common attributes of a letter.

features for sound would be things like spectral centroid (for which there is a simple equation for a set of temporal and spectral data - many to one mapping). the point of using a mutating feature vector is that researchers don't really have a way of knowing how we separate sound, and we probably all do it a little differently anyway because we don't have all the same exact structures/genetics/experiences.

some tools exist (though not freely available) to do sound synthesis using typical features like:

Log-Attack Time
Temporal Centroid
Harmonic Spectral Centroid
Harmonic Spectral Standard Deviation
Harmonic Spectral Deviation
Spectral Centroid
Harmonic Spectral Variation
Amplitude Envelope
Average Harmonic Spectrum
Non-Harmonic Spectrum
Spectral Flux
...tons of others

Researchers are limited to these only because of trial and error. why not leave the trial and error up to the computer? or better yet, through the computer, mediated by a hearing human? So, if they change one features of the above and leave the rest the same, their measure of 'how useful is that feature?' is how much the volunteer perceives a timbral change (like i changed spectral centroid by 1 unit, what is your perceived timbral change from 1 to 10?). However, there could be a lot better features out there, but we just have run across that way of manipulating the spectral data (or other domain - doesn't have to be spectral).

The genetic algorithm would mutate the above primer features in some arbitrary fashion, and then select out the bad as specified by whatever one wants. you might want to automate the selection process by specifying constraints. or if you wanted to have a person do the selection manually that maybe the best way depending on the application. it would take a long time, but once it's over, you have the ability to change the viz with the sound in the most dramatic and/or correlative ways, if that was your goal. it's not training that takes time, but selecting. if it was a neural net, sure, you'd take time training it. it may be wholly impractical to attempt to select manually because of sheer numbers, unless you can make it an "as you go" type selection, like when you rate a preset, or better yet, the computer measures your thought response. if you did automate it in the computer, though, you'd then have to be very clever about how to automate it. i mean, you can't really build a fully trained brain and cochlea in the computer, and if you did, you wouldn't need to bother with all this anyway. so, it's not like i've got this worked out from beginning to end. some thought would have to go into the selection and mutation process.

i'll check out your posted link in a bit because that definitely sounds interesting.

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 28th May 2008, 11:06   #67
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

i have already known the video, see this page:
http://www.spiderland.org/

and as for education, here an insider tip:
http://www.framsticks.com/
some years ago, i managed to create different kinds of runner, and let evolution make them faster.

so i think i have a clue of the topic, but what i don't understand is how and WHY you want to realize a feature detection by genetic approaches. i guess it is because of the great populism and the prejudice these systems can handle every problem. But if you have ever tried it yourself, you would have noticed there is no ghost in the machine, that liberates you from designing algorithms yourself.
it is one thing to find an optimized circuit design, but we are talking about music - a kind of art.
i think you missed the point that a human has an intuitive feeling for trial and error (maybe by experience or genius, but all in all by nature) "hey change this parameter here a bit, now there, no wait, take this back, wow!"
now a computer is really fast ...ridiculous fast in its dumbness

what do think would a genetic system produce if you say "here are some lego-blocks now build me a castle" ?
and maybe you think you are clever and you define alot of constraints (room height/width/amount, window size,...)
the thing is, you will only get Neuschwanstein, if you have specified it straight forward to every nut, bolt and screw

but i don't want to argue with you. show me this isn't all hogwash. I am just sceptical because everybody talks of it, but it seems results are too confidential.

never mind
Old 28th May 2008, 17:33   #68
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

oh i'm sorry - i had the pic in the cache and didn't see the server denies it
damn... now it's too late to edit (mod is called)
Old 29th May 2008, 07:37   #69
yhscchpcbr

logo

i have to agree with you on all points, even on of the genetic algorithm youtube things applied to architecture i had seen was exactly that; it couldn't get it to build anything ultimately aesthetically pleasing no matter what constraints they tried. there really isn't going to be anything but some alien intelligence that could match what we do as humans. but, then again, maybe we are just part of a vast simulation who's purpose is for us to produce insane art, in which case i guess that's what i usually do because i'm too lazy to try to get a computer to do it in its dumbness. i guess what i was wanting to create, as should always be the case in computer science, something that exploits the dumb fastness of the machine, while leaving as much of the artistic parts up to the human. so that's excellent design advice. and i was thinking a lot about the (paraphrasing) 'i want results' statement. it's true with me too. having to labor under some huge project that may ultimately look like shit or be wholly impractical is not what i want. but then you have to admit, designing a piece of software is an art all its own. i mean, in some sense, that's all algorithm or endeavor sort of is. you can be rigorous to find tautologies (equivalences) like in wolfram's work, for example. but stumbling onto things is what is in most artist's blood, including mine, because i am not very tolerant of rigor. anyway, point taken. but i'm addicted at some level to thinking about what might make a better system, because i'm always wishing for something, for example, that milkdrop doesn't have the ability to do. (and not necessarily impractical things)

that said, i'm only wanting to evolve features of timbre and let the user choose what evolved features most significantly affect timbre. i would think nature embedded in us at least some hard-wiring that we could flesh out as to what parameters, when adjusted, correlate to perceived differences in timbre, whereas, many arbitrary features, when adjusted in some direction, don't result in any perceived timbre difference, and thus can be more or less thrown out, the same way a jpeg exploits our inability to perceive some things about images, and thus saves a lot of space. but who knows, there may be so many features that a small orthogonal set doesn't exist.

there is an mpeg7 standard being developed. some guy named daniel mintz had his thesis up online at one point. he used the mpeg7's standards for timbral features to create some timbral synthesis software, which wasn't released due licensing of some of the apis he used. i'd post the thesis here, but it's too big. i have no idea how well it worked, but i had wanted to play with it, though it could only create one sound at a time. to make it more artistically useful, one would probably want to create several a whole instrument at once. i could probably post it somewhere if you are interested.

anyway, here are some more presets which i did a few days ago and last night, but was too tired at the end to post. hopefully they aren't altogether fugly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080529 0026.zip (97.4 KB, 734 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 29th May 2008, 11:45   #70
yhscchpcbr

H

A.A
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080529 0444.zip (148.7 KB, 778 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 29th May 2008, 13:59   #71
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Quote:
designing a piece of software is an art all its own
correct, that's why i spoke out my doubts.

Quote:
but who knows, there may be so many features that a small orthogonal set doesn't exist
it may be fun to find out.

I believe what is most important to visualization, is not to rebuild timbre features (in order to recognize em), but separating each from another. Here's a quick idea how to approach (i may be totally wrong, this is pure intuition).

let's say you want to distinguish 4-5 voices - each of them will be represented by a special visual feature (an artist can wire these to the final output).

say this is a feature vector:
Quote:
Log-Attack Time
Temporal Centroid
Harmonic Spectral Centroid
Harmonic Spectral Standard Deviation
Harmonic Spectral Deviation
Spectral Centroid
Harmonic Spectral Variation
Amplitude Envelope
Average Harmonic Spectrum
Non-Harmonic Spectrum
Spectral Flux

imagine you can buffer this vector
- at a sample rate for which i don't know what is a practical value
- for a period of time for which i don't know any practical value either (estimated between 10 and 60 seconds)

so once you have this set of very actual timbre feature vectors, you let a clustering algorithm run right over it.
(machine learning by concurrency)

et voila, there are your reference vectors. then you can experiment with a similarity measure
(i don't know if a simple eucledian distance norm will do it - the same applies to the distance norm used in the clustering algorithm)

and all in all, i can't say anything on realtime-behavior. worth a CUDA implementation?

hope i could help you a little don't worry about the genetic approach, but that's like you're using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Quote:
maybe we are just part of a vast simulation who's purpose is for us to produce insane art
I'm totally convinced of that

[OT]
Quote:
i have to agree with you on all points, even on of the genetic algorithm youtube things applied to architecture i had seen was exactly that; it couldn't get it to build anything ultimately aesthetically
don't know such videos, can you point me to one?
[/OT]
Old 30th May 2008, 19:01   #72
yhscchpcbr

helB

i'll try to find some of those vids a little later today if i don't forget, no time now, here are more presets i guess
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets 20080530 1200.zip (39.4 KB, 721 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 3rd June 2008, 05:56   #73
yhscchpcbr

a

a
Attached Files
File Type: zip mashes 20080602 2255.zip (186.1 KB, 756 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 8th June 2008, 08:19   #74
yhscchpcbr

a

more mash, a couple of spectro fiddle
Attached Files
File Type: zip mashes 20080606 0500.zip (152.4 KB, 710 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 8th June 2008, 15:14   #75
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Attached Files
File Type: milk flexi - todays silliest mash-up.milk (18.0 KB, 597 views)
Old 8th June 2008, 16:34   #76
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

(:
Old 10th June 2008, 13:15   #77
yhscchpcbr

a

a
Attached Files
File Type: zip mashes 20080610 0614.zip (149.4 KB, 673 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Old 11th June 2008, 20:39   #78
hexcollie

Ooooh I love the new screen!!! Still no pixel shaders, but some of these would be really cool if anybody feels like texturing them
Attached Files
File Type: zip ode to my new home.zip (49.9 KB, 673 views)

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
Old 11th June 2008, 21:52   #79
hexcollie

this came out nice. Uses the first preset collaboration, too!

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
Old 12th June 2008, 10:55   #80
yhscchpcbr

a

a
Attached Files
File Type: zip mashes 20080612 0354.zip (136.2 KB, 706 views)

ayahuasca chupacabra
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets