Old 19th November 2006, 18:52   #1
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Charles Rangel wants to reinstate the draft...again

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22

Quote:
Senior Democrat renews call for military draft
Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:41pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An influential Democratic lawmaker on Sunday called for reinstatement of the draft as a way to boost U.S. troop levels and draw a broader section of the population into the military or public service.

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel, the incoming chairman of the House of Representatives' tax-writing committee, said he would introduce legislation to reinstate the draft as soon as the new, Democratic-controlled Congress convenes in January.

Asked on CBS' "Face the Nation" if he was still serious about the proposal for a universal draft he raised a couple of years ago, he said, "You bet your life. Underscore serious."

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," he said.

Rangel, who opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq, also said he did not think the United States would have invaded Iraq if the children of members of Congress were sent to fight. He has said the U.S. fighting force is comprised disproportionately of people from low-income families and minorities.

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.

The New York Democrat had introduced legislation to reinstate the draft in January 2003 before the Iraq invasion. The Pentagon has said the all-volunteer army is working well and there is no need for a draft, and the idea had no traction in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats gained control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 12 years in the November 7 election, and a wholesale change in the leadership of Congress is to be made in January. Rangel is to head the House Ways and Means Committee, which is charged with U.S. tax and trade legislation.

The draft was in place from 1948 to 1973, when the United States converted to an all-volunteer army. But almost all men living in the United States - including most male noncitizens - are required to register with the Selective Service upon reaching 18, and federal benefits, including financial aid for college studies, are contingent on registration.

Rangel said his legislation on the draft would also offer the alternative of a couple of years of public service with educational benefits.
This is nothing more than Rangel playing politics by calling for an absurd legislation that failed to get hardly any votes the last time the House delt with one of Rangel's draft propositions...The last time this was voted on in 2003, the House defeated the bill 402-2 (With 31 not even voting), with only Pete Stark and Jack Murtha being the ones voting in favor...Even the Democrats were smart enough to vote against this bill, and Rangel didn't even vote in favor for his own legislation...What the hell?!

There's a reason why the US Military is now an all-volunteer force, because the draft was never popular to begin with...It's better to built a military with good-willed people who know what they're signing up for instead of dropping poor random schlubs into battle who don't even want to be there in the first place (Though this is no offence to Vietnam vets, since I have respect for anyone who's fought in a war, whether they went in voluntarily or were drafted in)...Of our all-volunteer military, we have about a half-million troops deployed in both Iraq and Afghanistan with 1.4 million on active duty and 2.6 million in reserves...Does Rangel even think a draft is necessary, or is he doing this for the hell of it?

Even with a Democrat-controlled House, I don't think even the Democrats want to risk their popularity by supporting Rangel in large numbers, if they want to keep their power until the 2008 Presidential election...At the same time, I find it funy that the anti-war Rangel wants to put the draft into place, since he thinks this will allow us to militarily confront Iran and North Korea...

What just happened there?

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 20:58   #2
dlichterman
Forum King

Yeah I dont think it will pass.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 21:17   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

Re: Charles Rangel wants to reinstate the draft...again

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
At the same time, I find it funy that the anti-war Rangel wants to put the draft into place, since he thinks this will allow us to militarily confront Iran and North Korea...

What just happened there?
Democrats showing their true intentions. Not that bullshit they told you to get you to vote for them.

If any of you actually thought you were going to get the troop withdrawal they promised...
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 21:22   #4
mikm
Major Dude

Re: Re: Charles Rangel wants to reinstate the draft...again

Quote:
Originally posted by obviousman
Politicians showing their true intentions. Not that bullshit they told you to get you to vote for them.

powered by C₈H₁₀N₄O₂
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 21:30   #5
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
...like Republicans are so innocent. Cry me a river...
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 23:52   #6
mikm
Major Dude

but Clinton...