Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 29th June 2014, 22:47   #1
ChiggyChiggy

Will CDs burned by Winamp have CD Text?

I remember reading somewhere that its possible to turn id3 tags into CD Text when mp3s are burned to a normal Audio CD, does Winamp do this? I dont have any CDs on hand to try this with really but im just curious.

And if it can, how much of the tags will be turned to CD Text? Just the track name and artist? or like whatever the track has of metadata will be turned into CD Text? and what about album art? or that doesnt count?

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 22:54   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No. The current version of Winamp can read CD-Text (if the Sonic Engine component is installed) but cannot write it.
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 22:56   #3
DrO

i'm pretty sure the burning solution which was used didn't do CD Text (it could read but not write iirc).

CD Text is limited in what can be stored (as per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text). so depending on what was done in Winamp, the following is what could be populated:

Title, Genre, Performer (Artist i assume?), Composer (i can't check what was already exposed / mapped under the currently available solution, but i'm pretty certain it's limited to a few fields).

what will happen with the next Winamp release is not clear as i've already implemented a non-Sonic based solution which is handling CD playback and CD Text reading (using the OS as much as possible to leverage what we don't need to re-code), but the whole burning feature is low on the todo list of things to be replaced with some sort of solution (whether it's another provided engine or a self-written solution which is simpler to do now that we're only an XP+ program).

[edit]
above post wasn't there when i'd started replying.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 23:07   #4
ChiggyChiggy

Ah i see. Btw what do you mean by "XP+" ? I thought Winamp currently only works on XP and above, last i recall running the latest version of it on Windows 98 is pretty much a no go lol.

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 23:13   #5
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
Btw what do you mean by "XP+" ? I thought Winamp currently only works on XP and above
it means just that, was my being lazy instead of saying XP and newer.

though i should really say "XP SP3 and newer" which will be minimum that things will run on. it was just about possible to get a number of parts of v5.66x to still work on Windows 2000 (as we'd intentionally dropped support for that by then) and XP (original and up to SP2) but as part of some required changes for plug-in handling, Winamp will definitely not start on Windows 2000 or any version of XP other than XP SP3 (and how long XP SP3 support in the client is maintained is unclear which completely depends on whether it impacts on new functionality or not and whether i can be bothered to do extra testing on an OS i don't use anymore).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 23:30   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
I remember reading somewhere that its possible to turn id3 tags into CD Text when mp3s are burned to a normal Audio CD, does Winamp do this?
being able to write/burn CD text would be a neat feature; EAC does it, I'd suspect Nero and others like that do too.

in my usage, it pays off when you either make a mix CD for friends, etc, or when u play a CD in a car stereo. its one of those little moments when others are slightly impressed.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
audio cd, burning, cd text, id3 tags, tags