Old 8th June 2016, 17:52   #1
zepper

Problems with in_cdda.dll

Is anyone having problems with in_cdda.dll on Windows 7 in Winamp 5.666? For me the speaker balance doesn't work properly when playing cds, there's nothing coming out when you slide to the right channel but both speakers play when sliding to the left channel. In XP or Vista compatibility mode the player volume control and speaker balance are completely disabled.

It's not the sound card drivers since it does the same thing when using a USB sound card.

What I did for now is replace in_cdda.dll with the old in_CDReader.dll plugin and it works like a champ, even in compatibility mode, which I sometimes use because direct show videos run better that way.

Since they're still apparently developing a new version of Winamp hopefully these are issues are fixed. Strangely in XP they aren't there, just Windows 7.
zepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 19:07   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm having a different problem with in_cdda.dll, v4.02. I can only play 1 CD track at a time. To do so I have to right-click on the Winamp title bar and point to "Play", then point to and click on "URL...". In the box that opens, I need to enter "cda://drive letter,track number" and click the "Open" button. For example, if your cd drive is labeled "E:" and you want to play track 3 on the CD in the drive, then enter "cda://e,3" (without the quotes).

Also, since the Gracenote support is no longer available, the MusicID feature (that provided the artist name and song title) is no longer working.

From the info I've found on the internet, in_CDReader.dll is not a Winamp plug-in. How exactly are you using it to get Winamp to play CDs?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 19:18   #3
zepper

The bonus with in_CDReader is that it supports CDDB. The default freedb.freedb.org is still up and running after all these years and others are available such as uk.freedb.org.

You can download it here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/cd_reader...n_download.htm

After extracting it rename "in_cdda.dll" to "in_cdda.dll.old" in the Winamp/Plugins folder and put in_CDReader.dll into it.
Old 8th June 2016, 20:45   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

CD Reader has massive crash bugs even with Winamp 2.9x. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 21:03   #5
zepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
CD Reader has massive crash bugs even with Winamp 2.9x. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Been running it for a while with no crashes yet but I'll keep an eye on it. Fortunately most of the music played is extracted into mp3s so I don't normally use cd audio much except when I get a new disk. But in Windows 7, at least for me in_cdda.dll is unusable since I run Winamp in compatibility mode and even when it's not there's bugs that hopefully get fixed.
Old 9th June 2016, 01:34   #6
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepper View Post
Is anyone having problems with in_cdda.dll on Windows 7 in Winamp 5.666? For me the speaker balance doesn't work properly when playing cds, there's nothing coming out when you slide to the right channel but both speakers play when sliding to the left channel......
Hi zepper.

It wouldn't hurt to check the system balance settings:
Windows Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Properties > Levels > Balance
although I guess any problem there would be apparent when playing anything.

I can't reproduce any balance problems when playing a CD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I'm having a different problem with in_cdda.dll, v4.02. I can only play 1 CD track at a time.....
Hi Aminifu.

Do you mean that the tracks are not shown when you click on the CD drive in the navigation pane?
If so, then I guess you've found the only work-around.
But if they are, try using the Play or Enqueue buttons at the bottom of the track pane.
If no tracks are selected, all the tracks will be added to the Playlist Editor.
Using the context menu, after right-clicking the CD drive, sometimes results in a crash.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 03:07   #7
zepper

@ryerman, is it ok even in XP compatibility mode because with my setup the player controls are totally dead? If I go to Sounds it is possible to change the speaker balance and volume through that but not in Winamp. And that goes for the USB sound card as well. All other file extensions are fine, it's just CD Audio.

The CD Reader plugin works flawlessly with or without compatibility.
Old 9th June 2016, 04:13   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post

Hi Aminifu.

Do you mean that the tracks are not shown when you click on the CD drive in the navigation pane?
If so, then I guess you've found the only work-around.
But if they are, try using the Play or Enqueue buttons at the bottom of the track pane.
If no tracks are selected, all the tracks will be added to the Playlist Editor.
Using the context menu, after right-clicking the CD drive, sometimes results in a crash.
Hi,

You have come thru for me again. I can see all the tracks in the library view and can right-click on the listed tracks, select them all, and transfer them to the playlist editor for playback. Selecting a track in the library view and clicking the play button at the bottom causes my configuration to crash. I think that is because of the skin I'm using. But, transferring them to the playlist editor first and playing from there works without any problems.

I just noticed that I get stereo sound, but the music is not using my DSP and output plug-ins with either playback method. Somehow the music is getting to Windows and my soundcard driver without going thru the other Winamp sound processing plug-ins in my configuration, maybe in_cdda.dll is not being used either.

Old 9th June 2016, 12:36   #9
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepper View Post
@ryerman, is it ok even in XP compatibility mode because with my setup the player controls are totally dead?.....
Hi zepper
I'll never know because my Winamp won't open in XP compatibility mode, which is fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi,
Somehow the music is getting to Windows and my soundcard driver without going thru the other Winamp sound processing plug-ins in my configuration, maybe in_cdda.dll is not being used either.
Hi Aminifu
I don't use any Winamp sound processing plug-ins or the equalizer.
When I play a CD, the decoder being used is displayed as "Decoder: Nullsoft CD Plug-in (MusicID 2.6)v4.02"
Main menu > Options > Multi Content View > File Info Compontents > check-mark for "Show Decoder"
Make sure "File Info" has the check-mark on the "Multi Content View" menu, not "Equalizer" or anything else.

And I just noticed that when I click anywhere in the tracks pane for a CD, there is an option to "Play all tracks".
None have to be selected.
As is often the case, "there is more than one way to skin the cat".

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 17:47   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
Hi Aminifu
I don't use any Winamp sound processing plug-ins or the equalizer.
When I play a CD, the decoder being used is displayed as "Decoder: Nullsoft CD Plug-in (MusicID 2.6)v4.02"
Main menu > Options > Multi Content View > File Info Compontents > check-mark for "Show Decoder"
Make sure "File Info" has the check-mark on the "Multi Content View" menu, not "Equalizer" or anything else.

And I just noticed that when I click anywhere in the tracks pane for a CD, there is an option to "Play all tracks".
None have to be selected.
As is often the case, "there is more than one way to skin the cat".
Indeed, there is usually 'more than one way to skin a cat'. The UI skin I'm currently using doesn't support the "Show Decoder" option. After switching to Big Bento, I'm able to see that in_cdda.dll is the decoder being used for CD tracks.

I normally use an output plug-in (Matrix Mixer) to custom re-mix stereo to 6 channels for my 5.1 speaker system. That output plug-in is stacked with the DirectSound output plug-in. I also sometimes use a DSP plug-in (Stereo Tool) between the active input decoder and these output plug-ins (I don't use Winamp's equalizer). When playing my music files, I can look at the status tab in the DirectSound plug-in's configuration options to see technical info about what's playing (encoded format characteristics, # of output channels, sound device being used, buffer usage, etc.). When playing CD tracks nothing is shown on this status tab, even if I disable all the other sound processing plug-ins in my sound processing string after the active input decoder.

When playing CD tracks I only hear sound from my front left and right speakers. DirectSound is probably sending this stereo output and nothing is shown on it's status tab for some reason related to in_cdda.dll. This is ok because I hear and rip CD tracks with EAC and usually playback CDs in my car. However if I do want to playback CDs with Winamp, I no longer have to select 1 track at a time. If I want to hear 'mirrored sound' from all my speakers, I can use the Window's "speaker fill" option or the 'matrix-mix' option in my speaker system.

Thanx again for your tips.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support