Old 23rd July 2004, 21:44   #1
not in santiago

Classic Skin Contest!

Announcing . . . .

The Nostalgia Classic Skin Contest

I don't know about you, but Winamp Classic skins make me misty for the heady, carefree days of yore. Of a simpler, kinder time. Of a time some call "2001".

In keeping with this theme of sparkly-eyed sentimentality, I want to see your best childhood memory/obsession/interest/experience made into a classic skin. Take a minute to revisit your past and start fishing out some creative and skinnable ideas. If you're having trouble kickstarting your brain, look below for some random thoughts.

The Premise:

Pick some element of your childhood. It doesn't have to be infantile; for the sake of this contest, I'm going to say "childhood" is the period of time between birth and high school graduation. It doesn't have to be about any one specific thing, either. You can skin a memory, a place or an emotion. This contest has no specific mood either; you can create a reverent skin, a mushy sentimental skin, or a skin with detached comic irony. Whether you praise your childhood or brutally skewer it is up to you.

The Rules:

1. This contest is open to everyone. Yes, that means you.
2. Classic Winamp skins only. Modern skins will not be accepted.
3. Contest deadline is midnight, Monday, September 6th. Midnight = midnight forum time. Absolutely no extensions.
4. The Main, EQ, Playlist, Media Library and Video windows MUST be skinned. If they are not skinned, you will receive an automatic 0 points for your completeness score. Cursors, MikroAmp, and old Minibrowser are optional, however, if you skin them all, you will receive an automatic 10 points for completeness.
5. All entered skins will be judged on creativity (which includes how well the theme was interpreted), usability and completeness. Creativity is half the score, so let your imagination run wilder than a gaggle of children living solely on sugar.
6. Posting your skin-in-progress in the forums is permitted, but not required. You can show it off and brag about it to everyone, or you can keep it a secret and enter the competition anonymously if you want. It's completely up to you.
7. You may submit up to 3 skins, but take care to value quality over quantity.
8. When you've finished your skin, please e-mail it to reverbe2 at yahoo dot com (substitute @ for "at" and . for "dot")
9. I will post all the skins shortly after the deadline. Judging will be open to all forum members and contest participants and will be scored based on the judging criteria below. All scores will be submitted to me via private message. The judging period will be precisely 10 days.
10. The winner will be the creator of the skin with the highest combined score. There is no formal prize, just the well-earned accolades of your peers.

Judging Criteria:

Creativity: 25 pts.
Usability: 15 pts.
Completeness: 10 pts.

TOTAL POINTS: 50

And finally . . .

I'm organizing this contest to rekindle a bit of the old Skin Love spirit, which I always found to be friendly and helpful. My other goal is to kickstart some latent creativity and give you incentive to get around to that skin you always meant to make. But above all, have fun with it!

If you need to question, comment or kvetch, you can PM me, or e-mail the aforementioned reverbe address.

Now get going!
not in santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 21:47   #2
not in santiago

Some nostalgia skin ideas

Just in case you're having trouble coming up with an idea, here are some I just sat down and brainstormed. You can use any of these themes or make up your own. This list is simply for inspiration.

(P.S. - I'm sure I'm dating myself with some of the items mentioned here, but don't restrict yourself to items of a particular decade. Use item/s and decade/s relevant to you.)

etch-a-sketch
spirograph
fridge magnets/"fridge art"
macaroni art
sidewalk chalk
playdough
sandboxes
snow
mud

Tinker Toys/Lincoln Logs/Lego/K-nex
Lite Brite
Transformers
GI Joe/action figures
Hot Wheels
board games (Monopoly, Clue, Risk, Life, etc.)
Operation/Hungry Hungry Hippo/Perfection etc.
Jenga
Twister
Fischer Price
wooden blocks
train sets

Dr. Seuss
Golden books
"serial" books
comic books

Atari/Commodore/Coleco/the original Apple/NES/SNES
games of the aforementioned
classic arcade games
handheld electronic games

Hanna Barbera cartoons
your favourite TV shows growing up

candy - "penny" candy, novelty candy
sugary breakfast cereals
brand name beverages: Kool-Aid, Hawaiian Punch, Tang, Colas/sodas

playgrounds
amusement parks
sports
summer camp
family vacations
report cards
Holidays: Christmas, Halloween

Influential music growing up: punk, new wave, 80s hair bands, grunge, novelty K-tel albums - respectful or ironic
the town/place you grew up in
rebellion/angst/bad poetry/"phases"

Don't forget your skinning tools!

Skinner's Atlas tutorial

Classic Skinning Tips and Tricks

(And can I say that if someone made a Hungry Hungry Hippo skin, I would just die?)
Old 23rd July 2004, 22:18   #3
FooMonkey
Listens to Chicago!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to FooMonkey Send a message via AIM to FooMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to FooMonkey
I shan't enter, but good luck to themfolks who do.

[website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
Jellby's Skiners' Atlas
FooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 22:49   #4
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Is this what you have decided on for definate? only asking as you have about 4 threads on the go about this contest in here, it's getting more crowded than a French brothel at happy hour.

If this is what y'all doing I'll close up some of the others.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 22:51   #5
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
so it's a private judging system then? Not a "let the public vote for a week" kinda thing?
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 23:23   #6
not in santiago

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
If this is what y'all doing I'll close up some of the others.
Yes, please close the contest idea thread and the two polls. I'd like to keep everything in one thread now.

The contest has been discussed for awhile and I decided it was time to take the reins and start making some decisions. There's no way I can please everyone; I hope those who choose not to enter the contest will support it with comments on skins and with judging in September.

dlinkwit27 - If you read rule #9, you'll see that the judging is a "let the public vote for a week" kinda thing (10 days, actually). I chose to go with a PM vote instead of a public poll just to make the judging a bit more sophisticated and a bit more honest.
Old 23rd July 2004, 23:28   #7
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

*stuck*

Someone tell me when y'all done so it can be unstucked.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 23:54   #8
not in santiago

Gracias, Senor Jones.
Old 24th July 2004, 03:17   #9
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Awwe, I'd rather not have the list up there, it came creepily close to unveiling both of my two ideas. If I state my ideas, can I "call" them? I don't want anybody else doing "Magna-Doodle" or "Where's Waldo." Those are mine, and I plan on putting a lot of work into finishing both of them (Hopefully...).
And I almost want to suggest that "old video games" be disallowed, since that's my shtick and a completely seperate genre. But, to each his own. I like this contest already. And I like your avatar, Not in Santiago.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2004, 04:30   #10
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by not in santiago
dlinkwit27 - If you read rule #9, you'll see that the judging is a "let the public vote for a week" kinda thing (10 days, actually). I chose to go with a PM vote instead of a public poll just to make the judging a bit more sophisticated and a bit more honest.
so we are supposed to judge on
"Creativity: 25 pts.
Usability: 15 pts.
Completeness: 10 pts.

TOTAL POINTS: 50
"
then? I noramlyl just pick the ones I like best.
Old 24th July 2004, 04:35   #11
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Can I "call" old nickeloden shows? Actually, if someone else does it too, thats cool. Its all in fun.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2004, 05:29   #12
StillWater
Forum King

I couldn't really think of many ideas, but when I started reading that great list, they started flooding in!

I fully intend to start a new skin for this contest, but it would also give me a good incentive to, in addition to that, finish off the Commander Keen skin that I started about a year ago. Is that allowed? Or is that a no-no?

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2004, 06:47   #13
not in santiago

dlinkwit: Yes, that's the judging criteria. I just wanted people to give a reasonable amount of consideration to their choices. In the end it's all subjective, so you'll give the ones you like best higher scores, in effect "picking" them. Right?

StillWater: I knew there was something I forgot to mention! Half completed (i.e. works in progress) and unpublished skins are allowed. Published skins . . . well, I'd hate to turn down entries. Let's just say published skins are not encouraged.
Old 24th July 2004, 06:51   #14
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

oooh. maybe i'll finish the k'nex skin. . . I like this contest. I'm still in high school, going into senior year in september. Does that mean i can use my entire life as nostalgia? I'm actually not planning to. I think i'm doing tv shows from when i was little. But, would I have been allowed to?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 24th July 2004, 07:13   #15
not in santiago

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
oooh. maybe i'll finish the k'nex skin. . . I like this contest. I'm still in high school, going into senior year in september. Does that mean i can use my entire life as nostalgia? I'm actually not planning to. I think i'm doing tv shows from when i was little. But, would I have been allowed to?
Good question! Nostalgia is all about "the past", though how far back something has to go to be worthy of nostalgia is a debatable issue. I would like to see people of all ages enter this contest, so I say if the subject isn't immediately recent (like, say, of the last year or two), then you're fine. Personally, I think it's more fun to revisit something you haven't thought about in awhile.

Happy to see some interest! (I was worried . . .) Can't wait to see your skins, y'all.
Old 25th July 2004, 03:46   #16
LuigiHann
Forum King

Quote:
Published skins . . . well, I'd hate to turn down entries. Let's just say published skins are not encouraged.
Can I submit my entire catalogue of old game skins? Just kidding. I'm using this as an excuse to do non-game skins, although they'll probably have a lesser chance of winning than if I did another old game skin. But it's all in fun.

Old 25th July 2004, 04:08   #17
xenosomething
Major Dude

i have no clue what i'm going to be doing.

maybe i could redo my very first mspaint skin...or is that not old enough to be considered nostalgic?

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2004, 06:47   #18
not in santiago

Again, I'd hate to turn down entries, so I'm not going to say you can't do that, however you may take a hit in points if the skin isn't tied more closely to the theme. I suppose you could get clever about it and make it an ode to the way you used to skin or something like that, but I'd encourage you to get into your mental Delorean and dive back a bit further into your past.

Here are a few links for you (or anyone else struggling with the theme) that may or may not help:

http://www.fccj.org/library/deerwood/reference/pop.htm (look for links under your relevant decade)

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/

http://www.inthe90s.com/index.shtml

And anyway, you've got over 6 weeks, so take your time thinking about it.
Old 25th July 2004, 07:07   #19
LuigiHann
Forum King

I love deloreans. In fact, that reminds me... (hope I can find this...) I dind't make this, but the readme credits it properly.

http://www.goateestyle.com/goods/skins.phtml Find the Winamp Skin entitled "Delorean Time Machine skin." It's very cool, but old and thus not complete by todays standards. But worth looking at.

Old 26th July 2004, 16:10   #20
Nini
skin domptrice
(Major Dudette)

Send a message via ICQ to Nini Send a message via AIM to Nini
Hey It's good to see something happening here again (why do I always miss the fun? :P)
I like the theme, but the deadline is a bit short for me.. I have to learn for exams until Aug. 13th.. and then I'm planning to participate in another general art contest, too

Nostalgia means all that's old, right? So could I do a skin on memories?

also, yay @ public vote

The skin love webring
Nini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2004, 16:51   #21
not in santiago

Quote:
Originally posted by Nini
Hey It's good to see something happening here again (why do I always miss the fun? :P)
I like the theme, but the deadline is a bit short for me.. I have to learn for exams until Aug. 13th.. and then I'm planning to participate in another general art contest, too

Nostalgia means all that's old, right? So could I do a skin on memories?

also, yay @ public vote
Oh, exams schexams. You don't really need to take those, do you?

You can most certainly make a skin about memories. But don't tease me with such a great idea - go and make that skin! (said the person who isn't currently going to school and really has nothing better to do . . .)

//BTW, that Delorean skin is sweet - thanks for the link, Luigi
Old 27th July 2004, 22:42   #22
xenosomething
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by not in santiago
Again, I'd hate to turn down entries, so I'm not going to say you can't do that, however you may take a hit in points if the skin isn't tied more closely to the theme. I suppose you could get clever about it and make it an ode to the way you used to skin or something like that, but I'd encourage you to get into your mental Delorean and dive back a bit further into your past.
i think i'm going to redo the skin....but i'll do what i can to make it more nostalgic to me.

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 07:07   #23
LuigiHann
Forum King

I gave up on Magna Doodle, so that's up for grabs if anybody wants it... Waldo is still mine, because I've put a lot of work into it already.

Old 28th July 2004, 14:23   #24
StillWater
Forum King

by now, xeno, the Fire Elemental skin would probably qualify for this contest

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Old 16th August 2004, 00:47   #25
not in santiago

As mentioned before (somewhere), I'm on vacation August 16 (tomorrow) - August 25. I don't think I'll have internet access, but who knows . . . stranger things have happened.

So I won't be available to comment, answer questions or receive entries, although you can still e-mail them to me - just don't expect a confirmation reply until I get back.

Ciao for now!
Old 16th August 2004, 03:43   #26
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by StillWater
by now, xeno, the Fire Elemental skin would probably qualify for this contest
Well I thought it was funny.

Old 27th August 2004, 06:32   #27
not in santiago

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
Well I thought it was funny.
Heh . . . I did too.

So, like, I'm back. You may recommence with the PM's and e-mails. Yes, and the skin making. Keep at it with the skinning. Don't make me come over there and kick you.
Old 4th September 2004, 17:39   #28
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
3. Contest deadline is midnight, Monday, September 6th. Midnight = midnight forum time. Absolutely no extensions.
how many have entered yet? How many still to come?
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2004, 18:11   #29
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I entered but am not able to finish in time for the deadline

Old 5th September 2004, 16:51   #30
not in santiago

Quote:
Originally posted by wildrose-wally
how many have entered yet? How many still to come?
Two have entered. About the "still to come", I'm afraid it's starting to look more and more like 0. I pm'ed/e-mailed all those who talked about entering in any capacity on Friday, but I haven't heard back from everyone yet. This could mean one of two things: they're too busy skinning to reply, or there's a whole guilt avoidance thing going on.

Still, I remain ever the deluded optimist and hold out hope that there will be some last minute entries.
Old 6th September 2004, 19:48   #31
not in santiago

As mentioned in the nostalgia skin in progress thread...

New deadline: Midnight, September 13th
Old 6th September 2004, 23:49   #32
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

that few entries huh?
Old 7th September 2004, 00:37   #33
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

No, too may entries. She hopes a few will drop out before the new deadline.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 03:38   #34
LuigiHann
Forum King

Ohhhh, crap. :P
I was gonna blow the whole thing off, and then you go pushin back the deadline so it looks like I have no excuse. :P
*blows the dust off the psd and gets back to work*
edit: wait, no. I didn't stop this skin because I was running out of time. I stopped it because it wasn't good. sorry guys.
btw, you guys can all look for me in the photoshop contests at fark.com. You can tell it's me because my name is still LuigiHann and I tend to do game or Weird Al references...

Old 7th September 2004, 13:30   #35
StillWater
Forum King

I'll get mine done now

Old 7th September 2004, 15:56   #36
LuigiHann
Forum King

Yat! Stillwater's doing one! *sigh* I guess i almost have time to do one from scratch... hmm.

Old 7th September 2004, 17:36   #37
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I should be able to finish it now. Just need to get past the next two days and I'll have some free time.

Old 7th September 2004, 18:55   #38
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by wildrose-wally
No, too may entries. She hopes a few will drop out before the new deadline.
Guess krock and db just screwed your idea over. Time too get back to trying to make the skins section work. Don't worry, you'll get it eventually, no matter how many site versions it takes.
Old 7th September 2004, 23:26   #39
LuigiHann
Forum King

It's nostalgic if I say it is.

And I say that ... it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sbprev2.jpg (67.8 KB, 321 views)

Old 8th September 2004, 00:39   #40
StillWater
Forum King

Luigi: That looks cool. Some notes:

-And it's a theme which should carry very well through all the windows, not just the main+eq, which is important (although making those curved sides look good on the other 3 windows will probably be annoying)

-I don't like the idea of having those dark grey buttons on the bottom-left of the MAIN, since they are 'fake' buttons. Maybe you could use a bit of 'poetic license' and change the location and size of those buttons, and make them the /\\/X buttons.

-I can barely read the text on the posbar - maybe use the font from the text.bmp

-The unpressed buttons (cbuttons, rep, etc.) are way too faint on my monitor.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins