Old 3rd November 2005, 21:41   #1
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Monochrome Classics Contest RESULTS

Finally, it's done. There were 5 judges: Doggy Dogg, FlatMatt, Not in Santiago, dlinkwit27, and StillWater. (I also contacted Xerxes and Ripe about possibly being judges, but haven't heard back, but the entrants were getting restless so we shall have no more waiting.) Each judge chose their first, second, and third favorite skins, and those skins were given 3, 2, and 1 points respectively, and I totaled up the points for each.
And for all that, the winner is:
Clerks. by LuigiHann!

Since I feel like a jerk winning my own contest, equal bragging rights go to the very close second place skin,
Hooplife Dogslife by Mr. Jones!

Honorable mentions include Take on Me by LuigiHann, Hiwassee Mist by FooMonkey, and Red Shades by ElArgento.
Many congratulations and thanks to all who entered, judged, or started to enter but didn't finish, you all did great, and I hope the next contest is run by someone more competent

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2005, 21:52   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

wOO7!

I still won the vote before it closed though
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2005, 23:22   #3
FooMonkey
Listens to Chicago!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to FooMonkey Send a message via AIM to FooMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to FooMonkey
Hey, I got mentioned. Wahoo. That never happens.

[website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
Jellby's Skiners' Atlas
FooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 02:38   #4
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I did not win.
Do you think that might have something to do with me not entering, or were the judges just biased against me?
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 03:50   #5
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Well, in case anyone wants to read about how I judged:

1) Clerks.
Not only is this skin put together excellently, but I think it really embraces the spirit of the contest. It is in greyscale not because what it's based on was, or for the sake of the competition, but it takes something in color that is based on something known in part for being in black & white and making the color version black & white. Anyway, if you've seen Clerks and you've seen the animated series, you'll know what I'm saying, and if not, I hope you can appreciate that explanation.

2) Hooplife Dogslife
Highly creative, well designed, and very fitting of the monochrome theme. Another great skin added to the Hooplife line!

3) Hiwassee Mist
To be honest, before I actually downloaded the skin I thought this would likely be my number 1 skin. Great imagery and good color scheme. Unfortunately, it didn't look as good in action, and the lack of all windows was disappointing. Still a good skin and my pick for 3rd.

Aphotic
Just a basic skin, not much to offer, unfortunately.

Take On Me
This almost made my top 3 in third, but I really didn't want to vote for two LuigiHann skins, so I call this 4th place.

Double Lined
Looks good, but just too basic to be very high in the rankings.

Red Shades
I like this design, but unfortunately... the red. If this had been in greyscale I think it would have made my top 3, but as it is it hurts my eyes too much.

Black & White
This one I liked very much, and it almost made my top 3, but in the end Hiwassee Mist got the nod.

Sideswiped
A nice looking skin to be sure, but I'm not really sure what it's doing in this contest. I don't think this really meets the idea of a monochromatic skin enough to be considered for the top, even if it does meet the set requirements.

WallyWorld
While I liked the idea of doing a skin based on nothingness, it may have been a mistake to extend that concept of nothingness to your submission practices. Zeroth place.

Congrats to all who entered, and Luigi and Jones in particular!
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 06:54   #6
StillWater
Forum King

Congratulations to the winner(s)!

Here were my comments and votes:

I've gone through all of the skins and chosen my top 3. Now, I know that judges always say this, but it really was difficult to make my final selection. I didn't have too much trouble selecting my top 3, but it was quite hard selecting their order, and if the scores were to be out at of a 100, they'd all be within just a few points of other.

Each skin, of course, had pros and cons. Aesthetically, Hooplife Dogslife was for me the most striking. It looks great, and (probably because of its very high contrast) looks more comfortably at home in monochrome than most of the other entries do. However, I just couldn't award 1st place to it because for me, that bull figure just seems to make a bit of a mess of all of the components in that area, which is such an important area - so I think it needed some better design decisions there. Though the rest of the skin I really, really like.

Clerks has the cleverest use of the winamp classic space and is mapped out more interestingly than the other entries. Although I find many of the buttons and/or their pressed states to be a bit too bland, which counters the 'fun' aspect of the layout in general.

Red Shades is one of those skins that looks slightly uncomfortable in monochrome, probably due to the flatness of its low-contrast colour scheme and the glaring intensity of its darker reds. However it has a very vibrant, playful style which is carried throughout the skin with more consistency than most of the other entries and does a terrific job of overiding winamp's 'squareness' to create a flowing, uninhibited design.

The final verdict:

1st - Red Shades
2nd - Hooplife Dogslife
3rd - Clerks

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 08:02   #7
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by StillWater
Congratulations to the winner(s)!

Each skin, of course, had pros and cons. Aesthetically, Hooplife Dogslife was for me the most striking. It looks great, and (probably because of its very high contrast) looks more comfortably at home in monochrome than most of the other entries do. However, I just couldn't award 1st place to it because for me, that bull figure just seems to make a bit of a mess of all of the components in that area, which is such an important area - so I think it needed some better design decisions there. Though the rest of the skin I really, really like.

Heheh, that was my intention, I'd had that image of Toby bursting through a wall for sometime with plans to do something with it a few years back, but never progressed it, this seemed like a good chance to do it, once I'd started however it became apparent to me that it was gonna take some work to try and fit in easily, it went through about 20 different size aspects to get one I was happy with, the criteria being I didn't want the song ticker cutting it in half, so it was pretty much worked in around that.

Even then I wasn't totally happy, it cut into a lot of the components areas like you say, the shuffle button was giving me hebbie jeebies right up to about a day or so before finishing, but in the end I was pleased with it when done, something I'm not often I'm heard to say about skins of my own.

I'll try and dig out the original image shot for you if you like so you can see where it came from and in what context, not sure I have my flash drive on me this moring with the original artworks bits..

Oh, and it's not a Bull, it's a robotic dog , Toby to be precise

Anyhows, thanks to luigi for getting this organised and giving me inspiration to get off my arse and do some classic skinning again, it's amazing how you never forget how to do it even though I haven't done any full on work for a couple of years, doing this even inspired me to go back to some of the other Halo related skins and fix a couple of cosmetic bugs and add features to the modern version
Old 5th November 2005, 05:31   #8
Sideswiped

Send a message via Yahoo to Sideswiped
Quote:
Originally posted by flatmatt
I'm not really sure what it's doing in this contest.[/B]
I do.

It's my first skin. I Started it about a week before I noticed the contest. Thought it was close enough to the rules for me to enter and it served as motivation to get it down.

Congrats to Luigi
Sideswiped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2005, 07:27   #9
LuigiHann
Forum King

I thought Sideswiped was a pretty neat entry, just because it's monochromatic but doesn't necessarily look it. I actually went into photoshop to make sure it was I think that helped achieve my real goal of this contest, which was to show how much variety there can be within the format, and since pretty much none of the entries looked anything like one another, I'd say it was pretty successful.

Old 6th November 2005, 03:05   #10
not in santiago

Howdy, all.

In case you were curious (and even if you weren't), these were the comments I submitted with my rankings (including a comment on Clerks, which I forgot to write the first time 'round, which is 59% weird).

I really, really, really, really wanted to give first place to Hiwassee because I think it's quite unique and user-friendly, and it certainly is the best use of the monochromatic theme. I think it's a skin of great beauty, however the Library window isn't skinned, nor is the Mikro. This is a small deal. A much bigger deal (to me, anyway), is the lack of winshade buttons and an invisible pos bar, volume and balance controls in winshade mode. So as much as I love this skin, I can't give it first.

I like Clerks because it doesn't stick to black and white. It has several shades of grey, which I think comes closer to the spirit and point of the contest. The skin is very well laid out (kudos for effortlessly including all four main characters) and easy to use. Clerks incorporates elements from both the movie and animated series, in addition to clever personal touches, such as the cartoony-looking shelf items in the playstacks and the dollar sign in front of the timer. Attention to detail while still remaining simple and straightforward = one really ace skin.

Hoop Life has tremendous detail and a lot to look at, which I really enjoy. For the most part, it's user friendly (almost deceptively so . . . it looks busy at first, but it's easy to find your way around). I think the volume and balance could be easier to find and the tiling a little less repetitive, but overall, it's solid . . . and very complete!

Honourable mentions: I like the Sideswipe skin (although I contest that it's dichromatic). It's easy to use and I like the effort to incorporate the red (the white parts should have been reddish!). The design isn't as unique as some of the other entries, but it has a clean and appealing look.

While I feel black and white was kind of a "safe and easy" way to go with this contest, I have to say I like the Black & White skin because of the creativity in its design and the simple but fun animations which overcome the less polished look.

Result:
1. Clerks
2. Hiwassee Mist
3. Hoop Life

Feel free to PM me with any questions or contentions (or fondue etiquette tips).
not in santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2005, 07:01   #11
FooMonkey
Listens to Chicago!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to FooMonkey Send a message via AIM to FooMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to FooMonkey
Quote:
Originally posted by not in santiago
I really, really, really, really wanted to give first place to Hiwassee because I think it's quite unique and user-friendly, and it certainly is the best use of the monochromatic theme. I think it's a skin of great beauty, however the Library window isn't skinned, nor is the Mikro. This is a small deal. A much bigger deal (to me, anyway), is the lack of winshade buttons and an invisible pos bar, volume and balance controls in winshade mode. So as much as I love this skin, I can't give it first.
Quote:
Originally posted by flatmatt
3) Hiwassee Mist
To be honest, before I actually downloaded the skin I thought this would likely be my number 1 skin. Great imagery and good color scheme. Unfortunately, it didn't look as good in action, and the lack of all windows was disappointing. Still a good skin and my pick for 3rd.
Thanks alot, guys for the good words. I guess it's not really necessary to explain that this skin was basically for me. I only use four windows, I don't use the WS at all (I just did enough to them to make them not look broken). The contest just served as good motivation for me to get it finished, so thanks, contest. Now I have a skin to match my desktop.

[website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
Jellby's Skiners' Atlas
FooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005, 09:40   #12
ripe
Major Dude

Re: Monochrome Classics Contest RESULTS

Quote:
Originally posted by LuigiHann
. . I also contacted Xerxes and Ripe about possibly being judges, but haven't heard back, . .
Sorry Luigi, I had no idea . . . I browse the skinning forums quite often but rarely log in, so I didn't see your PM till just now.

The monochrome brief produced some interesting work. Well done and a big slap on the back to everyone who took part.
ripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005, 15:52   #13
LuigiHann
Forum King

No worries

Old 7th November 2005, 16:14   #14
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

So where are the prizes? what did you award yourself
Old 7th November 2005, 16:59   #15
LuigiHann
Forum King

I awarded myself... this lovely paper fan!

Here's your prize Mr. Jones.
http://www.ehow.com/how_1304_fold-paper-fan.html

Old 7th November 2005, 17:08   #16
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

ta v much, I made mine out of finest gold leaf paper.......

/either that or a yellow 'things to do today' page ripped out of my notebook....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fanks.jpg (51.6 KB, 339 views)
Old 8th November 2005, 00:30   #17
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

First of all, congratulations Luigi and Jones, I really liked yor skins...you surely deserved to win
Well, Thanks for your comments and for your votes as i always say, I try to cover my lack of skills at drawing by adding an extra point on design :P so...i think that this is the main thing ou liked about my 2 entries...
as you can see, Red shades was a more elavorated skin because it was my first one, and I had a lot of time to do it...black and white is a bit more simple just because of the lack of time, but the idea of the design is clear :P i think...
this was fun it incentivated my creativity and help me to find ideas...i hope to find some more ideas soon...and also to have some time...
thanks everybody and congrats' again to the winners...
keep on skinning people I surelly will
El-ArGeNtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2005, 18:18   #18
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Send a message via ICQ to Doggy Dog
How I voted (copy paste from the pm to Luigi).... I was kinda, well, you'll see. Prolly took this too seriously.

1. Hooplife Dogslife - 3 points
Skins like this one are the reason I bitch at the anime skinners who ditch half the main window buttons so that they can put some pic in. The buttons here are not perhaps not too visible, but that can't be taken against them here. Jones did a great job incorporating pics and textures that weren't of his making in this skin. And Toby's in it. (4.75/5)

2. Clerks - 2 points
A very, very close second. I'm too tired to elaborate now. I really like this... well.. Penny Arcade style of drawing. Could use some "better" cursors. (4.5/5)

3. Take On Me - 1 point
Don't know why I really liked the "cartoony" skins here. None of the other types of skins really caught my eye.
(4.25+/5)

The others:
Aphotic is outclassed by each and every other skin. Buggy, generic and not really to-the-theme. (2/5)

Double lined... it's ok. Could look better, but ok, not offensive, and with some cute details. However, no 2.9 windows and... cleverness ? Just another black & white (monochromatic, color domination maybe, but monochromatic it ain't) "minimalistic" skin. (2.25+/5 - rejection).

Hiwassee Mist has an interesting colour scheme, but for some reason it doesn't sit right with me. It's "clever" in a way, but... dunno. Also, 2.9 stuff not skinned. (3.5/5 - rejection)

Red Shade - like the idea, and some very nice details, but I really don't like the colour scheme. (4/5)

Black And White - Same as red shade, except the colour scheme. It's not monochromatic though, I'm not sure that some people understand that term. I thought he nailed the term with red shade, but black and white disproved me. (4/5)

Sideswiped - a very nicely made, if genericish skin. Not really monochromatic. (4/5)

The numbers in the brackets are what I would give to the skin if it was submitted on winamp.com. The .25 and .75 are odd, I know. Look at the + or - sign. 4.25+ = 4.5 and so's 4.75-. 4.25- =4 4.75+ =5.

Anyway, I like the pic of Toby I use on my every-site-except-this-one avatar better.
Doggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins