Old 30th June 2006, 16:52   #1
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Has anybody tried Gametap?

I'm waiting to see how they implement Uru Live, but I'm curious to see what people who have used it have to say about it.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 06:07   #2
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
ok, call me newb. What's Gametap?

-~MrMagick~-
MrMagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 06:54   #3
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Gametap? What it looks like to me is some sort of a "legal" emulation site...?

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 07:28   #4
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
oh pretty kewl. I don't see a pricing though so I'm not going to sign up for the free trial. Plus I want play some old NES titles.

-~MrMagick~-
Old 1st July 2006, 07:39   #5
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

GameTap is a legal way to play ALOT of old console/DOS/PC games. I am kinda sad/excited to say that I do subscribe to this. I haven't used it in a while (I stopped using it after 2 months), but I am still paying for it. The only reason why is that they don't allow for cancelling over the internet, one has to call to cancel (which I am not too excited about). Though for the price, it isn't too bad. There are about 500+ games (the last time I checked it was something like 515 games), most of which are rather dated (Sonic for Genesis or ZORK for DOS), and there are a couple that are quite recent (Like Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, AND Prince Of Persia Sands of Time). And this is for 10 bucks a month.

But like I said, one has to call to cancel the account, which should be a deciding factor, especially since Time Warner owns GameTap.

Let me know if there is anything else that you want to know about the service.

-DJ

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 09:42   #6
MrMagick
Major Dude

yeah, thanks for the info, how much is it?

-~MrMagick~-
Old 1st July 2006, 09:44   #7
MStar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MStar Send a message via AIM to MStar Send a message via Yahoo to MStar
$10 USD/month.

I'd sign up, but it's USA only.

MStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 12:25   #8
LuigiHann
Forum King

Hey Duane, thanks. I'm not too worried about calling to cancel, because as much at I hate doing that type of thing, I kinda take it as a given these days :P
Anyway, one of my main questions is about the more recent games; I've heard the load times are pretty bad. Do I have to load up a game every time I want to play it? Can I save my game? I'm just thinking, if I wanted to play a game like the more recent Prince of Persia, it might get annoying loading it each time, if it's a long wait. It might still be worth it, though, if the wait is small compared to how long I spend playing...
Any overall feeling of "worth it" or "not worth it," and any thoughts on the interface to access games?

Old 1st July 2006, 12:47   #9
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

For all the games, the GameTap client downloads and puts on your computer the full game. If there is any patches or update to the code, then it will update those (though this is usually for the emulated games for any emulator code updates). As for the most recent PC games, it will save your game and allow you to play your saved games. If you use the GameTap launcher on any other computer, you will have to download the games on that computer just to play them. Basically, this is exactly what Steam does, so, I consider GameTap to be a "steam-like" app launcher, only for the older games.

Next thing I should address is the download speeds. Most of the games download fast. Think the usual wait time is about 30 seconds to about 1.5 mins. This is for all BUT the PC/DOS/Dreamcast games. For Dreamcast/DOS, the wait is about 15 mins or so. For all the PC games, it can take from 25 mins to 3 hours (Splinter Cell took 3 hours to download). Though, I do like the fact that the launcher does download the games in the background, so while you wait for it to download, you can play other games (like Sonic the hedgehog!), or you can watch crappy shows on their GameTapTV thing.

-DJ

Website

Old 1st July 2006, 12:58   #10
LuigiHann
Forum King

3 hours to download? Hmm. But you only have to do that once, and then next time you could go right into it? That's not too bad, all things considered.
Oh! Can you do a quicksave anywhere, like in some emulators, or can you only save through the game engine?
Thanks for answering questions, I appreciate it. I'm tempted to get it this summer, but I'll probably force myself to wait until Uru Live comes out, or at least has a confirmed release date, as that is my main incentive to get it, although looking over the game list there are some impressive things on there.

Old 1st July 2006, 13:10   #11
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

No, only saves can be done in the game. And the PC games are not emulated, it is the shipped code that comes on CD when you buy it at a retail place (just for your info). If Uru live comes out on Gametap, then Gametap would be best for you to subscribe to, only because it has EVERY single Myst game to play.

And that 3 hours is because I was downloading Prince of Persia, which was a 2GB download.

Website

Old 1st July 2006, 14:37   #12
mysterious_w
Forum King

Looks slightly interesting, but most of the emulated games I play I actually own (Normally NBA Jam, can't get enough at the mo.)

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 18:36   #13
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Emulators and roms being as plentifull and as easy to aquire as mp3's. I cant justify paying for a service with a constrained selection at $10 a month. Especially when you can buy and own games like splinter cell and Prince of Persia for 10 dollars and have a hardcopy of them. Also, out of couriosity does gametap let you play your friends online like many free emulators permit ?(playing Street Fighter II and Mario Kart though the net for free is quite enjoyable. )
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 00:22   #14
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

No, the games do not support multiplayer over the internet (Which I felt was kinda lacking in a web-based distribution system), unless the game shipped with that feature.

The whole Gametap app feels like it is meant to be put on a Media Center PC, hooked up to a TV, to play the games on the TV. The Gametap Launcher is fullscreen and does not use a screen resolution higher than 1024x768. It DOES do widescreen resolutions, but I don't know what the highest is for that. The launcher saves profiles for game controllers for each game (and you can re-map control schemes and what not). It seems like gametap is being marketed to parents with kids, only because of the fact that the highest rating in the game is T for Teen.

<edit>I forgot to add that the whole point of gametap is to be able to play games *NOW* instead of searching around to find a copy of a certain game in stores (or searching around the internet looking for games to download). It is playing off of america's need for "convenence"</edit>
-DJ

Website

Old 2nd July 2006, 00:42   #15
MStar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MStar Send a message via AIM to MStar Send a message via Yahoo to MStar
Quote:
Originally posted by DuaneJeffers
I forgot to add that the whole point of gametap is to be able to play games *NOW* instead of searching around to find a copy of a certain game in stores (or searching around the internet looking for games to download). It is playing off of america's need for "convenence"</edit>
-DJ
Yep. I was going to subscribe simply to play Tropico 2, which I can't seem to buy or steal anywhere.

MStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 20:56   #16
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
Originally posted by MStar
Yep. I was going to subscribe simply to play Tropico 2, which I can't seem to buy or steal anywhere.
Tropico 2 @ Amazon

also if your familiar with how to use google and bit torrent then should have little problem persuing the other option you suggested.
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 09:22   #17
LuigiHann
Forum King

I was able to instal and play with the preview version of Gametap on my dad's computer no problem, but when I tried to install it on my stupid computer, I get an error more or less like #1 on this page.
The annoying thing is that I can't find anything on my computer (through control panel or dxdiag or whatever) that would confirm or deny the suggestion that I have the SiS chipset. Is there any way for me to check that? And is there any way to fix it, short of replacing my video card?
(side note: Why do I post silly things like this here? Same reason I complain about them to my friends, I suppose)
This is particularly frustrating because playing the sample version at my Dad's house got me hooked on it, and I probably would have subscribed this evening if it had worked. Blah.

Old 24th July 2006, 21:51   #18
gametapuser

Quote:
Originally posted by DuaneJeffers
But like I said, one has to call to cancel the account, which should be a deciding factor, especially since Time Warner owns GameTap.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I did not know these guys were Time Warner (AOL) before I read this post... I called in April to cancel the service... Guy was nice, apparently gave me a confirmation number (looking for that).

Well you can guess the rest, they are still charging me. Noticed on my last statement. Called them up, they have NO RECORD of my even calling. Ugh.

It's funny because twice during the call I made AOL comments, not realizing they are in the family.

He also said they would send me an email confirmation on the cancel. Never got that, but mysteriously I stopped getting any email from them in April....

Disputing the charges with my CC company, we'll see.

BEWARE
gametapuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 22:07   #19
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
don't most good banks/CC companies simply allow you to "stop payment" on a certain deduction and be done with it?

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 23:23   #20
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Yeah, it depends on the bank. I need to call and cancel my account too, so, I am going to try and call today and get them to cancel it and if they don't then I will call my bank and let them know to stop charges. BUT they should be easier to cancel now after that whole AOL/Vincent Ferrari dispute a few months ago.

Website

Old 25th July 2006, 02:49   #21
LuigiHann
Forum King

Hmm. I subscribed to it, but I'll worry about cancelling much later, as I don't hate it yet.
Those of you still subscribed, did you see they updated it so you can play online competitively? Only for a handful of specific games, though.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions