Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 22nd October 2003, 19:14   #1
nifti

"One-click" system tray icon!

I'd like to be able to make the system tray icon(which is the only I use) "one-click". So when winamp is minimized and you press it winamp will pop-up(which is already does..) but when you press the tray icon again when it's maximized it should minimize winamp!

I feel like it should've already been impleamented, if so, please tell me how to enable it!

Great Job anyhow! I'm eagerly waiting for the iPod support! auto-sync library and playlist will be super-nice!
nifti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2003, 20:51   #2
Dipso

Great idea, clicking on the icon doesnt do anything yet, might aswhell do this.

I realy hope nullsoft read and consider all the great ideas popping up in this forum, some of the ideas are amazing

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2003, 22:41   #3
nifti

Thanks, I just can't understand why this hasn't been impleamented in an early version..

Just gotta say that I and many others over at ipodlounge.com are very excited ovet the coming iPod support!!
Old 22nd October 2003, 23:29   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Note that 99% of other system tray icons behave in exactly the same way.
There are some exceptions, eg. trillian

btw, did you try the iPod plugin?
Note, it's a beta.
Also note that it's the update in my 3rd post further down the page that you want, and you'll also need the iPod-tree fix (linked to in the same post)...

[edit] direct link to relevant post [/edit]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2003, 23:45   #5
nifti

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Note that 99% of other system tray icons behave in exactly the same way.
There are some exceptions, eg. trillian

btw, did you try the iPod plugin?
Note, it's a beta.
Also note that it's the update in my 3rd post further down the page that you want, and you'll also need the iPod-tree fix (linked to in the same post)...

[edit] direct link to relevant post [/edit]
I'm sorry but I can't get it to work at all! Does it work with winamp5? I exstracted it to the plugins folder but I can't even fins it in the plugins optionbox in winamp(after restart..)

But I don't want to Delete all my music.. I already have the music in folder F00-F19..
Old 22nd October 2003, 23:56   #6
Dipso

Yea, but i know for a fact that system tray icons can tell the differance between right click, left click and double click, i have apps that use some of all of thiese for different actions.

Old 23rd October 2003, 16:55   #7
DrO

should be easy to do, you just have a small gen plugin that tracks the systray messages winamp gets and you then alter how winamp is shown based on the message, simple really

[smacks head on table since he now realises he'll end up coding it tonight ]

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2003, 23:36   #8
nifti

Ok, I've now got a hang of the iPod plugin. After waiting a long time(with winamp not responding) I finally had loaded all the songs on my iPod. The loading time has to be worked on.. Porhaps you should be able to "manually load database" so you only load it when you synchronize which from what I saw wasen't possible yet?! Important is that it should be possible to synchronize playlists also at the same time!(some of the iPod programs have missed that..)

DrO: I hope will see a "one-click" systray in the next release then(or a plugin atleast)
Old 24th October 2003, 15:09   #9
DrO

here you go nifti the plugin will do the single click show / hide and it can be enabled or disabled (enabled by default).

if you double click the tray and winamp is visible then it will be minimised and restored (need to cover some of the other messages winamp gets but ran out of time to do that).

enjoy anyway

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip one_click_v0_8.zip (2.0 KB, 431 views)
Old 24th October 2003, 17:12   #10
Rellik
Major Dude

Bluecave Winamp Slider does this, but you might find yourself preferring the hotedge capability anyway.

only downside is the 5$ registration fee
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2003, 22:34   #11
sebt

How about quick play & volume controls from the winamp tray icon? At the moment you have to go through a rightclick submenu which is a ballache.

My personal fave would be a click on the systray icon bringing up an image of the rolled up windowblinds version of the winamp mainscreen right next to the systray, perfect!

Another unorthodox way could be to, if the winamp mainscreen is not hidden, show it and move the mouse straight to it.

All of these ideas should be user configurable to keep all camps happy

Seb
sebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2003, 02:10   #12
nifti

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
here you go nifti the plugin will do the single click show / hide and it can be enabled or disabled (enabled by default).

if you double click the tray and winamp is visible then it will be minimised and restored (need to cover some of the other messages winamp gets but ran out of time to do that).

enjoy anyway

-daz
Nice but I was kinda thinking that it would show/hide with one click.. Like Miranda ICQ..(which is open-source so maybe you can get some help there..)

Great work anyhow, but I can't test it right now, because I'm at the business center at the hotel I'm staying at in Beijing..
Old 26th October 2003, 02:21   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@ nifti

The ipod-tree fix is supposed to fix the 'hang' issue with the ipod plugin.
But you'll need to format your ipod first to use it...

I'll post the link again, just for the hell of it, lol

@ DrO
I'm gonna d/l that plugin of yours and test it out.
Keep workin' on it . . .

This is what a lot of plugin developers do...
scan the forums for commonly requested features, and then try devise a way to implement them via a plugin.
Though I guess this feature should be simple enough to implement natively...
it's just not top priority class right now.

I'll add it to my next wishlist report update.
Old 26th October 2003, 11:50   #14
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
This is what a lot of plugin developers do...
scan the forums for commonly requested features, and then try devise a way to implement them via a plugin.
Though I guess this feature should be simple enough to implement natively...
oh so true i'll get around to fixing the double-click issue as soon as i can do (thanks for the encouragement DJ Egg)

-daz
Old 30th October 2003, 16:57   #15
DrO

had a look at Miranda ICQ and that seemed to use a double-click to show/hide the window.

anyway i think i've fixed the single click option (now a double click will react as a single click with it as well) and added in a true double-click to show/hide (totally overrides winamp though)

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip one_click_v0_9b3.zip (2.8 KB, 1110 views)
Old 1st November 2003, 01:34   #16
Dipso

DrO you should make your own thread with all the nice little plugins you've made for all the people who havend bothered burying them selves in the forums like i have.

So more people can have thiese cool plugins to tie them over until nullsoft gets a final/stable running so they can add thiese features.

Old 1st November 2003, 13:44   #17
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
DrO you should make your own thread with all the nice little plugins you've made for all the people who havend bothered burying them selves in the forums like i have.
Old 29th November 2003, 18:40   #18
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
** Reviving a "slightly" dated thread with a message for Dipso and DrO **

Dipso...

Many of DrO's plugins are already featured in the Most Requested Features / Plug-ins Sticky thread. And "One Click Show & Hide v0.9b3" by DrO is now listed there under "Core Enhancement".

But ya know, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all, DrO, but for plugins that have not yet made it to that Sticky thread.

So why don't you do that very thing? Perhaps start a new thread within the Winamp 2 Discussion forum (soon to be renamed to Winamp Discussion, which will of course include ver 5.0). Perhaps entitle it "DrO's Useful Winamp Plugins" or "Darren Owen's Useful Winamp Plugins". You can include a brief description of each plugin with an accompanying link. Then we forums moderators can keep checking "your" thread as you add more to it (edit post) over time, and then we can add new plugins or updates to already developed ones within the Most Requested Features / Plug-ins Sticky thread.

Dipso is right in saying that people who don't bother to bury themselves in every forum at this board will probably miss out on a lot of your development. So, even if they miss that "Sticky" they will still have another chance at seeing your contributions if you have a thread that you personally update regularly.

Sheesh! I've never seen anyone develop as many plugins as you have in such a short period of time, and MAINLY in response to member's requests / wishes. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable and mind-boggling.

DrO is the Magical Genie of Winamp plugins / enhancement!! Ask once and your wish is granted!!

Forums member: "Hello. Can somebody make this or do that for Winamp?"
DrO: "Hmmm. I don't see why not."

DrO: "Your wish has been granted!"

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2003, 12:11   #19
Dipso

Well, nunzio, i believe i posted that before the "Most Requested Features / Plug-ins" Tread was created.

Thats what you get for burying yourself in old threads

Old 30th November 2003, 18:16   #20
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

LOL. Yes I know. The thread was created on 11-09-2003 (after you posted). I just wanted to revive your idea. I still think DrO can place updates/revisions in his own distinct thread, and then it would be easy for us to check there every so often and update the Most Requested Features / Plug-ins Sticky thread with DrO's brilliant work. So, the point of my post was that I still feel that what you proposed was then and still is a very good idea.
Old 1st December 2003, 12:53   #21
DrO

Quote:
Sheesh! I've never seen anyone develop as many plugins as you have in such a short period of time, and MAINLY in response to member's requests / wishes. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable and mind-boggling.
you're not the only one who thinks that

i quite enjoy doing it and if it helps just one person then that's good enough for me. also a lot of them are things i use as well (jtfe, timerestore) so i'm benefiting along with everyone else.

i did think about making a thread but thought that might seem a bit big headed. until then the links in the signature will always be the current versions. i may do that soon though since i've updated three of the smaller plugins to fix a few issues with them

* find file on disk - now supports all files (ported back the code from jtfe that was based on this one )
* time restore is having a few little issues fixed and removed need for a separate ini file to fix the few little issue with it (well it was created over 5 months ago so it needed some love)
* made a little fix to the playlist remover plugin for the config options

-daz
Old 1st December 2003, 19:13   #22
WHEREamI
Major Dude

yah, but the links in your sig don't seem to be complete. ie., one click show hide's not there. and since you're such a coding machine, your sig might fill up, and then you'll have a sig like Sanosuke's!

If you didn't put it in 'cuz it's getting too big, then you could make the text in there smaller.
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 08:57   #23
DrO

Quote:
If you didn't put it in 'cuz it's getting too big, then you could make the text in there smaller.
i forgot to put one click in there and find file on disk as well!

i think i'll start a new thread when i release a bunch of updated versions of the plugins in a few days, does seem to make more sense that way though isn't there a limit on how long after you create a thread/post that it can be edited?

Quote:
since you're such a coding machine, your sig might fill up
lol, it does seem like it at times. may have to cut back a bit now and concentrate on the two main plugins though i really want to give the Display Change plugin some love and make it Winamp5 compatible (not too difficult to do, just a bit of code from here and a bit over there... )

-daz
Old 14th December 2003, 15:36   #24
DrO

how things change since i last posted here (posting to bring it back to my attention )

i really should finish this one and get it to a v1.0 state (was almost there anyway but there's one thing i want to add to it as a little novelty )

also there was an issue reported i think (must check my pm's i think)

-daz
Old 14th December 2003, 18:34   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

heyhey
yeah, wasn't *this* the place where it all began?
well, forum-wise anyway, lol

hmm... and only less than 2 months ago.
Wow!
Go Dro, Go!
Old 15th December 2003, 00:16   #26
DrO

@DJ Egg: timerestore was the starting point, then did some bits in the winamp 2 dev and nsis forums (did two plugins for that which i really should finish).

One Click Show & Hide v1.0

well any way, i've fixed a few bits with the ini writing code and made a few code tidy-ups so now here's the final version

One Click Show & Hide v1.0

-daz
Old 15th December 2003, 00:57   #27
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Excellent Darren

Most Requested Features / Plug-ins Sticky updated.
Also updated here.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 15th December 2003, 01:24   #28
Dipso

This is one of those plugins that you think, "Heh cool, but i can do fine without it"

But then after a while, without knowing it you have gotten used to it.

Imagine my surprise when i had uninstalled it by accident and winamp just wouldn't disappear...

Old 15th December 2003, 19:09   #29
DrO

@Dipso: that's the sign of a good plugin!
i have the same thing with timerestore when using new builds

-daz
Old 23rd December 2003, 05:37   #30
Paparazzi

Sorry, had to dig up this thread which got buried real deep with the release of WA5.

Reason being ... I wanted a little addition to this.
Would it be possible to check if the player is minimized to tray before bringing it up?

I mean, sometimes, WA is not in the tray, but is in the background. Now since I've got WA to display only in the system tray, I do not know off hand if its in the tray or behind another application. This being the case, when I click the tray icon with the intention of showing winamp, WA5 first gets hidden and then I have to click it again to show it.

Would be nice if the plugin could detect if WA is just behind and if so, bring to the front.

Cheers
Paparazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 18:48   #31
DrO

@Paparazzi: i know that one myself i'll look at getting it done over the next few weeks

-daz
Old 1st January 2004, 22:48   #32
EdgeOfEpsilon

Send a message via ICQ to EdgeOfEpsilon Send a message via AIM to EdgeOfEpsilon
Darn, Paparazzi got to it first Oh well, count me in on that request!

Awesome. I tried living without it, didn't work. Also went on a huge DrO plugin update. It's like a whole new Winamp.

sfx
EdgeOfEpsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2004, 23:13   #33
DrO

give it a few days (the little plugins are getting some more loving again )

this one is bugging me tonight so it's more of a personal 'must be done' thing

Quote:
I tried living without it, didn't work.
you're not the only one especially when doing backward compatibility testing on my old setups which don't have all of the plugins installed

-daz
Old 17th January 2004, 10:51   #34
nifti

Quote:
Originally posted by Paparazzi
Sorry, had to dig up this thread which got buried real deep with the release of WA5.

Reason being ... I wanted a little addition to this.
Would it be possible to check if the player is minimized to tray before bringing it up?

I mean, sometimes, WA is not in the tray, but is in the background. Now since I've got WA to display only in the system tray, I do not know off hand if its in the tray or behind another application. This being the case, when I click the tray icon with the intention of showing winamp, WA5 first gets hidden and then I have to click it again to show it.

Would be nice if the plugin could detect if WA is just behind and if so, bring to the front.

Cheers
Yeah, that would be really nice, count me in on that request!
Old 17th January 2004, 12:25   #35
mark e
Major Dude

excellent plug-in!
Thanks DrO
mark e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2004, 12:37   #36
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by nifti
Yeah, that would be really nice, count me in on that request!
oops, forgot i was going to do this (been a bit busy with work lately )

hmmm, will try to get it done for Sunday night (plus it means i can get the relevant page on the website sorted out for this as well at the same time )

[edit]
just found the code and having a look at it again - has been a while it still refers to my beta2 test setup lol
[/edit]

-daz
Old 18th January 2004, 18:26   #37
thracx

Send a message via ICQ to thracx Send a message via AIM to thracx
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

-daz
Thanks!
thracx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 19:53   #38
Urtho

While I realize that this has made it to a stable release, I was wondering if there could be an option to use double click as the show/hide and have the play controls come up on single click?

Thanks.
Urtho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 20:05   #39
DrO

Quote:
have the play controls come up on single click?
sorry, but you've lost me there. what do you mean by "play controls"?

-daz
Old 18th January 2004, 23:53   #40
Urtho

Play Pause Next Back Stop
Urtho is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion