Old 28th February 2006, 02:57   #1
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Sweet jeebus...

Quote:
LONDON - A Scottish distillery said Monday it was reviving a centuries-old recipe for whisky so strong that one 17th-century writer feared more than two spoonfuls could be lethal.

Risk-taking whisky connoisseurs will have to wait, however — the spirit will not be ready for at least 10 years.

The Bruichladdich distillery on the Isle of Islay, off Scotland's west coast, is producing the quadruple-distilled 184-proof — or 92 percent alcohol — spirit "purely for fun," managing director Mark Reynier said.

Whisky usually is distilled twice and has an alcohol content of between 40 and 63.5 per cent.

Bruichladdich is using a recipe for a spirit known in the Gaelic language as usquebaugh-baul, "perilous water of life."

In 1695, travel writer Martin Martin described it as powerful enough to affect "all members of the body."

"Two spoonfuls of this last liquor is a sufficient dose; if any man should exceed this, it would presently stop his breath, and endanger his life," Martin wrote.

Reynier put Martin's test to the claim and consumed three spoonfuls.

"I can tell you, I had some and it indeed did take my breath away," Reynier said.

Bruichladdich, a small privately owned distillery founded in 1881, plans to make about 5,000 bottles of the whisky, which Reynier estimated would sell for about 400 pounds (US$695, euro590) per case of 12 bottles. Although whisky lovers can place their orders now, the actual spirit will not be delivered for about 10 years.

"You get a better drink if you wait because of the basic oxygenation through the oak barrels," Reynier said.

In the meantime, customers will be able to watch the whisky's progress on the distillery's webcams.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060227/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 03:06   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

There must be something more lethal in it than alcohol. I've drank pure "shine" and everclear. Yeah it'll make you pucker, but it's hardly lethal.

I think someone is trying to sell some whisky. At $700 a fifth, I think you'd need to say something about a pretty immature whisky..... 10 years ... that's pretty "green".

EDIT: Oh, that's $700 a case... still ... pretty spendy.... 30 year old single malt scotches can be bought in that price range.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 04:40   #3
sgtfuzzbubble011

I prefer to just pull up to the pump and fill 'er up...
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 12:50   #4
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by ShyShy
Risk-taking whisky connoisseurs will have to wait, however — the spirit will not be ready for at least 10 years.
When 2016 arrives, we're gonna party like it's 2006!
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 13:08   #5
zootm
Forum King

I've had 80% rum and 90% vodka (the rum was far worse!), but it's just not to be advised.

I have a horrible feeling that this whisky won't taste of a hell of a lot though. Whisky tends to be diluted with water anyway.

As a "just for fun" thing it's quite cool though. I wonder what nutter made up that recipe.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 15:18   #6
Mattress
Forum King

I've heard that anything more than 12 years in a barrel is pointless for whiskey, ie. it has taken/recieved as much from the barrel that it is going to get.

I've consumed everclear (190 proof grain alcohol) and I didn't die, also a number of shots of Bacardi 151. What these high proof alcohols are quite good for are destroying any sort of sore throat bacteria that is bothering you. After the 151 the sore throat that I had was completely gone
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 17:07   #7
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

/sets clean double shot glass on table

/sits down in front of shot glass

/waits for ten years to pass

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 19:39   #8
ujay
Forum King

"Here you are son, try a shot of that. Just don't breath on your grandma afterwards"

Overproof whisky's been around for a long time but it's generally only about 110 (approx. 120 in US terms), that's the strength that comes off the still and is usually cut to 25-30 underproof for retail.

The really strong stuff doesn't have a lot of flavour to my taste, And you can't drink as much of it

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 21:26   #9
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

From Slossy's Boozatorium
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 06:33   #10
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Ok, to the person that said $695 is an outrageous price for a case of whiskey, followed by saying he could get 30 yr. old single malt Scotch for that price (about $57-$58/bottle)...

Where are you shopping? I have never in my life seen 30 year booze of any kind selling that cheap, ESPECIALLY single malt Scotch (sorry for the caps). Maybe if I'm lucky I can pay that price to search my uncle's basement for some lost-and-found 30 year old canned blatz beer, but honestly, if you do have a place to get a single-malt that old for that price - tell me now where to go and I'm there.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 06:51   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
Ok, to the person that said $695 is an outrageous price for a case of whiskey, followed by saying he could get 30 yr. old single malt Scotch for that price (about $57-$58/bottle)...

Where are you shopping? I have never in my life seen 30 year booze of any kind selling that cheap, ESPECIALLY single malt Scotch (sorry for the caps). Maybe if I'm lucky I can pay that price to search my uncle's basement for some lost-and-found 30 year old canned blatz beer, but honestly, if you do have a place to get a single-malt that old for that price - tell me now where to go and I'm there.
I don't remember what I paid for Glenfiddich silver the last time, but I know it wasn't more than $100. That's a 30 year old single malt. That's been some time ago, maybe a few years and that's in quantity 1, not a case.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 14:37   #12
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I recently got a 10 year bottle of Speyburn for 24 bucks.
Had to try single malt before I invest in Glenfiddich which is here for under a hundred.
Old 1st March 2006, 16:17   #13
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Johnny Walker Blue. $180 per fifth at a store, $30 per shot in a bar. But good stuff, nonetheless.

Old 1st March 2006, 17:20   #14
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Last night I ordered one double of Patron silver at the Aspen Steakhouse and was shocked when the bill came: $20

Two drinks like that buys a whole bottle!

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 17:37   #15
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Mmmm, Patrón's the good stuff. Silver is one of their lower lines, though. But since that's about the only version most restaurants and bars will have in stock, it's what I order every time. There's nothing else like it.

Here's their best tequila. About US$300 per 750ml bottle. A double shot of this stuff in a bar or restaurant will run you more than twice as much as what you spent on the Silver.

Old 1st March 2006, 20:13   #16
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

10 year old Speyburn is probably the lowest level single malt scotch available in my neck of the woods. However, having said that, it's still single malt, and still good especially for the price. It's also nice that the bottle comes in a printed reusable tin canister to display even after you're done with the bottle. We're lucky enough to get it around $20/fifth.

Now, for those of you emptying your wallet on Jonny Walker blue label, be careful and keep this in mind - all Johnny Walker (or however you spell it) Scotches are blended - not single malt - that goes for red and black label too - so in my taste, that's far too much to pay for non-single-malt scotch. If you prefer blended, I guess that's the best way to go though.

Those of you buying Glenfiddich, they have several ages/types available, for a wide range of prices. Usually most brands are always good or always bad - Glenfiddich can be horrible or delightful depending on what you get, and unfortunately, you gotta go broke to get the right stuff.

I'm new to this forum - is it ok that this has absolutely nothing to do with winamp?

Old 1st March 2006, 22:21   #17
JFASI
Major Dude

Wow. This stuff sound really stong.

Certified Spam Connoisseur.
JFASI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 23:21   #18
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
I'm new to this forum - is it ok that this has absolutely nothing to do with winamp?
Very few things here relate to Winamp.
Knock yourself out and welcome to AAA (Anti-Alcoholics Anonymous)
Old 1st March 2006, 23:37   #19
ujay
Forum King

Interested you should mention Jonny Walker, it's a bit of joke in Britain.
Twenty years ago it was a very common brand here, just one more blended scotch, no better and no worse that any other, most of which were made by the same company anyway.
Red label is a blend of Highland malts and Rectified Grain Spirit(Lowland malt), Black label is a blend of Highland malts only. Never heard of Blue label.
They had to stop selling it here when they discovered that with heavy promotion they could fetch 3 times the price in foreign markets.

It was the first of the 'designer' whiskys I suppose.

UJ
Old 3rd March 2006, 15:38   #20
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

good reason for very old scotch

Some of you migh say that 12 years is enough to get all you can from the aging process, while saying it's because the whiskey has taken all it can from the barrel.

Even if this is true for those people, I have a suggestion for you. If you're interested in some reeeeeally high quality scotch, get some kind of double-wood Scotch. It's a scotch that spends half of it's maturing life in a (charred) whiskey oak barrel and the other half in a (charred) sherry oak barrel. That way the extra years of maturity really do make a noticeable difference, in addition to making you happier to drink it. Brand suggestion: "The Balvenie" Doublewood Single Malt. Look for or ask for the line that is at least 15 years old - it is so delightful you'll forget you spent your retirement on it.

By the way, for the person that said "Very few things here relate to Winamp. Knock yourself out and welcome to AAA (Anti-Alcoholics Anonymous)" to me, thank you. It's good to be loved.

Old 3rd March 2006, 15:54   #21
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Yeah, we got a bunch of drunks, here!!
What?
Old 3rd March 2006, 17:26   #22
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Speak for yourself, sweetie.

*hic*

Old 3rd March 2006, 17:28   #23
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

AAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Love it!!
Old 3rd March 2006, 18:54   #24
ujay
Forum King

Yeah ... stop it Widdy, you're giving everyone the wrong impression about the folks on the forum.

Now excuse me while I go and take the cork out of my lunch

UJ
Old 3rd March 2006, 21:36   #25
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
Old 3rd March 2006, 22:16   #26
Mattress
Forum King

Re: good reason for very old scotch

Quote:
If you're interested in some reeeeeally high quality scotch, get some kind of double-wood Scotch. It's a scotch that spends half of it's maturing life in a (charred) whiskey oak barrel and the other half in a (charred) sherry oak barrel. That way the extra years of maturity really do make a noticeable difference, in addition to making you happier to drink it. Brand suggestion: "The Balvenie" Doublewood Single Malt. Look for or ask for the line that is at least 15 years old - it is so delightful you'll forget you spent your retirement on it.
That sounds good, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 22:46   #27
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
Yeah ... stop it Widdy, you're giving everyone the wrong impression about the folks on the forum.

UJ
*snorts Campari and Tonic..twist of lime out of nose*

Sorry...Hic!!
Old 4th March 2006, 04:33   #28
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Someone said vodka??
Old 4th March 2006, 05:29   #29
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Wow.

I've seen that pic a lot of times, and you'd think I'd be sick of seeing it by now, yet it still brings me to tears from the laughter... The worst part about all this is the fact that I usually check email and winamp forums at work (I'm a high school counselor and assistant band director) - the kids ask what I'm laughing about and I have to come up with some kind of horrible lie about it all...

Either way, I've strayed away from the original topic - over-proof whiskeys...

Today, March 3rd, is my birthday, and to celebrate, I have pulled the cork of one of my favorites (and at a decent price of around $30 per fifth) - Wild Turkey Rare Breed. This is an especially good (Kentucky bourbon) whiskey, and I'll tell you why.

Someone above (and I apologize for not having given your name for credit or quoting you the right way because I'm new at this... plus I've had a couple drinks...) educated us all on the whiskey-making process:

That person basically said the whiskey is made according to recipe (slightly stronger at first) and then watered down to the proof (alcohol content) listed on the label.

Now, for those of you that think they've been cheated by getting some water in their finished product, here's your salvation -

Wild Turkey "Rare Breed" (which also comes in an attractive bottle-holding canister that you can save) is bottled straight out of the barrel without being watered down to 101 or 80 proof. This means every set of bottles (from each barrel) has a slightly different (and higher) strength. More importantly, it also means that the bourbon whiskey is PURE, without the necessary water needed to bring it down to the labeled proof.

So, if you're intrested in high-quality stuff while not going broke, try Wild Turkey Rare Breed - you'll be happy you did, and even if you're not happy, have a couple more and you'll be happy anyway.

Old 4th March 2006, 07:19   #30
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:

Today, March 3rd, is my birthday,
*SPANK!!!*
Old 5th March 2006, 04:13   #31
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

*pulls self up off the floor*

geez, if you woulda waited a bit I would have just fallen down from the booze, no need to get violent just cuz I'm older...

Old 3rd March 2011, 02:10   #32
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Today, March 3rd, is my birthday...

...and it won't be as good as others, but hopefully things will look up later. I'm in a situation where it's best to stay vague when typing online, but when the dust settles a couple months from now, I'll say more. My history shows that when this sort of thing happens, I usually end up better off after handling things anyway.

Old 3rd March 2011, 15:19   #33
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

Happy Birthday, Ted!

Obviously you've got a lot on your mind right now, but do your best to not let it bother you today.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:57   #34
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Happy birthday Brother Ted. I hope things turn out better than you anticipate. Best wishes to you.

Old 4th March 2011, 00:55   #35
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Thanks, I'm getting a lot of support from a lot of people; plus some Chinese food and a Chinese beer. It's been a good relaxing day and evening today.

Old 4th March 2011, 09:26   #36
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

*spank!!!*
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions